Trade Deadline Predictions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Trade Deadline Predictions

Postby 100565 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 am

I thought it would be cool to have a thread on trade deadline prediction.

Please indicate who you predict the Penguins will trade for prior to the deadline. Can be zero or multiple players. The actual trade (meaning what the Pens will need to give-up to make it happen) is not important to this thread, but you can be included as well.

Next, if you were GM, who would you prefer them to get - try to keep it somewhat realistic.

I will start:
Prediction - Zucker and Daley (trade include only Galychenuk from current roster and futures)

Preferred - Ristolainen, Girgenson, Toffoli (Schultz and Galychenuk from current roster and futures)
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Trade Deadline Predictions

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:17 am

DeSmith and Riikola probably wouldn’t mind a change. Galchenyuk isn’t worth much but JR dumped Scuderi for a key piece of the cup run. That fourth line is a black hole right now, so a winger that can play 9 minutes a night would be nice. Need a Chad replacement.

JR would have made the big trade by now. Only expect some minor tweaks.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jmalone on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:25 am

I see us getting Zucker and a depth dman.
Jmalone

Postby 100565 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am

Southern Fan wrote:Only expect some minor tweaks.

Not a bad guess...not many sellers!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:05 pm

My overall thought right now is that the deadline is going to be underwhelming. I won't put it past GMJR to go off-board and snag someone we aren't really talking about, but, the names being bandied about (Zucker, Saad, Kreider, Toffoli, Athanasiou, etc) are either on teams still fighting for playoffs (and likely won't be available) too expensive (see Kreider, Chris) or just aren't very good (AA).

Prediction: Blake Coleman and Craig Smith, and a depth defenseman

Preferred: Zucker and Del Zotto
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:My overall thought right now is that the deadline is going to be underwhelming. I won't put it past GMJR to go off-board and snag someone we aren't really talking about, but, the names being bandied about (Zucker, Saad, Kreider, Toffoli, Athanasiou, etc) are either on teams still fighting for playoffs (and likely won't be available) too expensive (see Kreider, Chris) or just aren't very good (AA).

I would consider Coleman and Smith a pretty good day. What have you heard about Zucker and his NMC having Pittsburgh as as a team he doesn't want to be traded to? Supposedly relates to his wife having joint custody of her daughter with an ex-husband and if he is traded she isn't moving from Minnesota. Sounds like a family mess which could translate to the ice.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:43 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:My overall thought right now is that the deadline is going to be underwhelming. I won't put it past GMJR to go off-board and snag someone we aren't really talking about, but, the names being bandied about (Zucker, Saad, Kreider, Toffoli, Athanasiou, etc) are either on teams still fighting for playoffs (and likely won't be available) too expensive (see Kreider, Chris) or just aren't very good (AA).

I would consider Coleman and Smith a pretty good day. What have you heard about Zucker and his NMC having Pittsburgh as as a team he doesn't want to be traded to? Supposedly relates to his wife having joint custody of her daughter with an ex-husband and if he is traded she isn't moving from Minnesota. Sounds like a family mess which could translate to the ice.

Is that right? Interesting. Surprised that doesn't happen more often actually.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Toffoli and Alec Martinez from LA for Galchenyuk, Riikola, 2nd, and 4th round picks.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:00 pm

KG wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

The NMC for Zucker went into effect this season, supposedly didn't exist during the alleged Kessel to Minnesota trade talks. The issue with his wife and child custody was in a Mike Russo story in the Athletic last year.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:19 pm

pens_CT wrote:

I haven't heard anything specific, but, sounds maybe like a Kessel type situation. Kessel was known at times to put teams he heard might want him on his no-trade list, or put teams on his approved list that he knew didn't want him or couldn't afford him cap wise.

Zucker's wife Carly is on Twitter and is somewhat vocal. I wouldn't really say in a bad way, but I think she was a bit upset with Paul Fenton having Zucker in the rumor mill almost all last season. In any event, Zucker has a 10 team no trade list. Word on the street is that most players have Canadian teams on the no-trade lists because the taxes are so high. Maybe Zucker senses a possible trade to Pittsburgh and blocked it with his list, but, that doesn't prevent him from getting traded, and maybe even somewhere farther away like an Arizona or Dallas. Pittsburgh is a good team, so, if he did block them, he could be shooting himself in the foot if he is moved elsewhere, even further away from Minnesota.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:24 pm

pens_CT wrote:
KG wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

The NMC for Zucker went into effect this season, supposedly didn't exist during the alleged Kessel to Minnesota trade talks. The issue with his wife and child custody was in a Mike Russo story in the Athletic last year.

Being traded is a constant worry for the Zuckers. Carly shares custody of her daughter, Sophia, with her ex-husband. So if Jason is ever traded, Carly would stay in Minnesota. That means Zucker is always at risk of being separated from his wife and step-daughter, as well as his son, Hendrix, and their daughter, who is due in two weeks.

“I think Jason is just really, really good at understanding the fact that it is a business,” Carly said. “Jason doesn’t feel or harbor any anger towards Paul. Look, even when he was fighting for a contract last year, I don’t think he’s ever felt super secure as far as not being traded. I mean (Coyle) said that, too. There were always rumors around Charlie being traded, and since I’ve met Jason, there’s always been rumors around him being traded.

“So, for Jason, when he was fighting for a contract, and then when he signs it and all of a sudden you’re still almost traded, he’s just got this ability to move on. He gets it. … But trust me, he wants to stay here.”

From https://theathletic.com/867574/2019/03/14/jason-zucker-wild-trade-deadline-give16-carly-zucker/
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I haven't heard anything specific, but, sounds maybe like a Kessel type situation. Kessel was known at times to put teams he heard might want him on his no-trade list, or put teams on his approved list that he knew didn't want him or couldn't afford him cap wise.

Zucker's wife Carly is on Twitter and is somewhat vocal. I wouldn't really say in a bad way, but I think she was a bit upset with Paul Fenton having Zucker in the rumor mill almost all last season. In any event, Zucker has a 10 team no trade list. Word on the street is that most players have Canadian teams on the no-trade lists because the taxes are so high. Maybe Zucker senses a possible trade to Pittsburgh and blocked it with his list, but, that doesn't prevent him from getting traded, and maybe even somewhere farther away like an Arizona or Dallas. Pittsburgh is a good team, so, if he did block them, he could be shooting himself in the foot if he is moved elsewhere, even further away from Minnesota.

True, but assuming Pittsburgh isn't on the list you would need to be concerned about his mental state if his wife and kids are stuck in Minnesota and he's here.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:25 pm

KG wrote:Toffoli and Alec Martinez from LA for Galchenyuk, Riikola, 2nd, and 4th round picks.

That's not horrible. IF the Penguins got something they really liked for Schultz, I think the only way they could do it is if they got someone like Vatanen or Martinez for the rest of the season.

TIOPS also mentioned the Penguins are high on DeSmith, don't really want to move him, but the starting point to even consider it would be a 3rd round pick.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 pm

My prediction - which is worth less than the cost of the pixels used to display it - is that GMJR will not do any trades this year. He is happy with the team he has, and will hopefully be getting back pieces in the near future.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:40 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:Toffoli and Alec Martinez from LA for Galchenyuk, Riikola, 2nd, and 4th round picks.

That's not horrible. IF the Penguins got something they really liked for Schultz, I think the only way they could do it is if they got someone like Vatanen or Martinez for the rest of the season.

TIOPS also mentioned the Penguins are high on DeSmith, don't really want to move him, but the starting point to even consider it would be a 3rd round pick.

It's amusing that TIOPS was trumpeting DeSmith's imminent departure last fall after he said he was blind sided by being sent down. I didn't think it was a big deal, but TIOPS said that they were very displeased and looking to move him as soon as possible. It's just funny it's the same site. I don't believe they have any interest in moving DeSmith for futures. I always believed that the reasoning for giving him a 3 year contract was to make certain he was available for the expansion draft. Much like the reasoning for having Hornqvist's NTC expire prior to the draft.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:59 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

True, but assuming Pittsburgh isn't on the list you would need to be concerned about his mental state if his wife and kids are stuck in Minnesota and he's here.

Valid point, but I think he knows it is possible. Yes, it wouldn't be ideal. Yes, it would stink, but, even as his wife says, you have to know that is always a possibility. He seems like a go with the flow type of guy able to brush things off. I also wouldn't doubt that, if needed, the Penguins might help with anything to get him home or his wife/kids to him more often. They've done things like that before.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:21 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

It's amusing that TIOPS was trumpeting DeSmith's imminent departure last fall after he said he was blind sided by being sent down. I didn't think it was a big deal, but TIOPS said that they were very displeased and looking to move him as soon as possible. It's just funny it's the same site. I don't believe they have any interest in moving DeSmith for futures. I always believed that the reasoning for giving him a 3 year contract was to make certain he was available for the expansion draft. Much like the reasoning for having Hornqvist's NTC expire prior to the draft.

NTCs do not have any affect on the expansion draft.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:39 am

Jim wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Sure they do. You can't expose someone with an NTC to the draft unless they waive the NTC. Fleury had to agree to be exposed for the Vegas draft.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jmalone on Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:40 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Sure they do. You can't expose someone with an NTC to the draft unless they waive the NTC. Fleury had to agree to be exposed for the Vegas draft.

You're thinking of no movement clauses. You can be claimed in the expansion draft without waiving a no trade.
Jmalone

Postby Jim on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:38 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

NMC, not NTC. Exposing to the expansion draft isn't a trade, but it is considered movement. NTC is not relevant to the expansion draft.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:02 am

I don't think we'll get any big deals.

There's not much out there for rent and folks with contracts are often with long (bad) deals. Doesn't help that in the league, there are only 5-6 teams that don't delude themselves into thinking, that they're a playoff team given a move or two.

Maybe a lateral move. Like Gudbranson/Pearson. Nothing I'll get excited about
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:44 am

Jim wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

My mistake, I get knotted up with the difference between NTC's AND NMC's sometimes. It's still interesting to me that Horny's full NTC changes to a modified NTC after next season, when he can only submit an 8 team no trade list. The full NTC is why I haven't put any stock in the "trade Hornqvist" posts. He has all the power. In terms of DeSmith, it was mentioned even at the time of the deal that it was tailored toward having a goaltender available to expose for the draft. Backup goalies aren't generally given 3 year deals. Which was pretty smart on JR's part. And why I've ignored any talk of moving him for futures. Only if he'd be needed to complete a bigger deal. Which I see as very unlikely.

At this stage, the Blackhawks would be required to protect Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith along with Toews and Kane. The Seabrook contract is the major albatross. One I expect they'll address before the time comes. There's little doubt the Pens have managed their payroll more responsibly than the other cap era multi cup champions, Chicago and LA.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ericf on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:19 am

longtimefan wrote:
Jim wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

My mistake, I get knotted up with the difference between NTC's AND NMC's sometimes. It's still interesting to me that Horny's full NTC changes to a modified NTC after next season, when he can only submit an 8 team no trade list. The full NTC is why I haven't put any stock in the "trade Hornqvist" posts. He has all the power. In terms of DeSmith, it was mentioned even at the time of the deal that it was tailored toward having a goaltender available to expose for the draft. Backup goalies aren't generally given 3 year deals. Which was pretty smart on JR's part. And why I've ignored any talk of moving him for futures. Only if he'd be needed to complete a bigger deal. Which I see as very unlikely.

At this stage, the Blackhawks would be required to protect Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith along with Toews and Kane. The Seabrook contract is the major albatross. One I expect they'll address before the time comes. There's little doubt the Pens have managed their payroll more responsibly than the other cap era multi cup champions, Chicago and LA.

Naw, the Hawks are going to Hossa Seabrook...already working on it now with the hip injury. He’ll be LTIRed next year and then they’ll trade his contract to ANA with a sweetener attached. They know how to game the system and there’s no way he’ll be on their protected list
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 am

Trying to predict what they're going to do is an exercise in futility. It's too fluid. Before the Marino injury, and Schultz' disconcerting comeback, I didn't think they'd bring in another defenseman, unless it was Daley for little return. I still believe he'd be the guy for defensive depth, although I think it's more urgent now. As far as upfront, I think it's TBD. There aren't enough sellers yet. If I were to guess, Zucker and Tatar would seem to be likely suspects. Zucker simply because we keep hearing about it, and Tatar's name has come up frequently recently.

I prefer a hockey trade for someone like Fiala or Domi. I'd also like to see them bring in Foligno to add a bit of size and toughness. He's also a guy who can take a regular shift. He hasn't produced offensively, but he's a stellar defensive forward and penalty killer.

I think the Pens top prospects will be more of a sticking point than the #1 pick. Addison and Poulin both look like they could make the jump quicker than expected based on their development. I also think they'd be very hesitant to move Legare. It's a catch 22. It gives them more valuable movable assets, but it's the first time in a while the Pens have prospects who could conceivably contribute before the Crosby/Malkin window completely shuts.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:36 pm

Bjugstad/ Riikola for Craig Smith / Bonino
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins