Game 16 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Game 16 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Murray is tied for 25th in overall save %. The beauty of statistics. Not sure what the average relative humidity was during the games.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?sea ... t=8&time=0

Usually people know to use a minimum GP when looking at stats like that.

Oh you caught me. Cherrypicking a statistic ...... just like you did.

Ah, the beauty of statistics, but I repeat myself.

Huh? Where?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Murray is tied for 25th in overall save %. The beauty of statistics. Not sure what the average relative humidity was during the games.

Huh? Where?

Sorry, it was your like minded soul Owchar up thread: "The Pens are currently 5th in 5v5 save%. 5th! And people are complaining about Murray"

My apologies.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am

LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:Image

:)
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:48 am

FLPensFan wrote:John Marino may be better than sliced bread. Really impressed with his play, and even a lot of the little things. Watched him try to break out of the Penguins zone in the 1st period, Hawk player got into him to try and gain the puck....Marino quickly shifted his body in a position to fend off the player while successfully clearing the zone. Lot of these little plays go unnoticed. I expected him to have more offensive upside, and I think we are starting to see him getting more comfortable, so the points are starting to show up.

Fun fact: The Penguins started the season with 10 defensemen, one of which is named Chad Ruhwedel. Did you know, Chad is alive and well, and still on the Penguins NHL roster.

I dont get the Ruhwedel situation. 2 years in a row they have kept him on the roster because they believe he is a strong 7th....but you got to play the guy every so often. They did the same thing last year...I believe his first game was in late November last year.

We have played everyone and their dog over Ruhwedel.

Pettersson, Riikola, Marino, Gudbranson, Johnson. Even Trotman last year, though Ruh had some injuries then. Hes either not good enough and really fun at parties, or he's good enough but backed his car into Sullivan's. Can go down to WBS without anyone blinking or caring.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Huh? Where?

Sorry, it was your like minded soul Owchar up thread: "The Pens are currently 5th in 5v5 save%. 5th! And people are complaining about Murray"

My apologies.

But it's true. The Pens are 5th in the league in 5 on 5 save% which is extremely important to team success.
That isn't cherry picking a stat, that is using a number that is taken from every game this season. This stat is also largely weighted by the goaltender that has played more. (Murray 14 games)

Now, comparing goaltenders that have 4-6 games played to that of goaltenders that have played 14 or so, that's a different story. There's a reason that baseball players that only have 100 at bats don't qualify for the batting title against those that have 600+ at bats. So, yes, by your cherry picking, Murray does rank lower in save%. Should Christopher Gibson or Landon Bow have won the Vezina last year? They were both top 3 in save%.

Murray definitely hasn't been lights out this year, but using a stat and comparing him to goaltenders that have played 4-6 games doesn't prove a point lol. I thought something like this is pretty straight forward to most? I guess not.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Of course 5 on 5 save percentage is important, but would you not agree that overall save % is more important? Those goals count also. And I would argue, making saves while shorthanded, when the pressure is on, is a significant factor in a team's success.

PS: For goalies who have played 10 more games, Murray is tied for 12th with a .916. It should be noted, Murray has 5 other goalies breathing down his neck who have played 10 or games with save %'s from .915 -.912.

^^^^^ Which is why I struggle with stats.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Humperdink wrote:Of course 5 on 5 save percentage is important, but would you not agree that overall save % is more important? Those goals count also. And I would argue, making saves while shorthanded, when the pressure is on, is a significant factor in a team's success.

PS: For goalies who have played 10 more games, Murray is tied for 12th with a .916. It should be noted, Murray has 5 other goalies breathing down his neck who have played 10 or games with save %'s from .915 -.912.

If overall save % is so important, then the leader in that category with 10 or more games is Robin Lehner. Would you suggest the Pens would be better of trading Murray to Chicago for Lehner? Take a serious look at that list. At this stage in the season, Murray is doing just fine, and his stats show this. There are a few good goalies ahead of him, and a heck of a lot of highly regarded goalies behind him in the stats. Factor in the already ridiculous number of man-games lost to injury already this early in the season causing an ever rotating cast in front of him, and Murray's play has been equal or better than should be expected. His play is so far down the list of concerns for this team that it should be a non-factor.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Of course 5 on 5 save percentage is important, but would you not agree that overall save % is more important? Those goals count also. And I would argue, making saves while shorthanded, when the pressure is on, is a significant factor in a team's success.

If overall save % is so important, then the leader in that category with 10 or more games is Robin Lehner. Would you suggest the Pens would be better of trading Murray to Chicago for Lehner?

Ah, no. You have missed my original point. I would not trade Murray for whoever is leading in 5 on 5 save percentage, nor shorthanded save percentage, nor best shootout goalie. We have people on this forum who extract a statistic to support their preconceived view and expect everyone to hop on board. I choose not to do that.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 pm

I guess I did, because I got the impression that you were implying Murray was not pulling his weight this season, and I didn't agree. If I lost the actual narrative at some point, I apologize.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins