Root sports

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Root sports

Postby no name on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 am

What is the best way to watch the all the Penguins games if your trying to "cut the cord"? Go without cable? Cause I as far as I can see there is no other way to get Root sports except traditional cable.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,115
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Root sports

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:13 am

I too would love to cut the cord. Pens hockey is the only reason I have cable. I watch little other tv except Netflix here and there.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,798
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am

Re: Root sports

Postby johnnews on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:18 am

I cut the cord 2 years ago. Aside from the normal 15 or so national broadcasts I watch on Hulu, I can stream ATT Sportsnet through links on Reddit/NHL live streams. It's a little bit more work, but once you figure out which streams are typically best and save links, it's pretty easy. Not too mention with all the $$ you're saving, you can go to a couple more games in person.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am
Location: Downingtown, PA

Re: Root sports

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 am

Yep, I second the r/nhlstreams subreddit. I actually find sometimes the picture quality is BETTER than my cable gives me.

Make sure you turn off mobile notifications, though, as you'll be a solid 20+ seconds behind.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,121
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Root sports

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:52 am

After 20 years, I just decided this year to not renew NHL Center Ice. I will be trying r/nhlstreams as my main source. I tried it a few times last year when I was traveling for work, and it worked awesome. Will pay for the cheaper NHL.tv as a fallback.

Main reason I did it is, I had to pay 1-2 packages higher in DirecTV to keep NHL Network and NBCSN, like an extra $30 or more a month for those. Finally got tired of paying extra, on top of the Center Ice cost, for 2 channels.

My hockey watching is the main reason I haven't cut the cord completely yet. This is my first step. Step 2 will be getting more internet speed and a more reliable provider, as Comast is pure crap in my area. I drop my connection 2-3 times A DAY!!
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,982
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Root sports

Postby scb147 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:40 am

Since I live in the ATT Sportsnet area, I use NHL.tv + Unlocator. Then I redirect all DNS for my Roku to use the Unlocator DNS servers. Since you can't directly set the DNS servers from a Roku, you have to have a router that allows you to do this.

I've been using this for the last 4 seasons now.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Root sports

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am

GSdrums87 wrote:Yep, I second the r/nhlstreams subreddit. I actually find sometimes the picture quality is BETTER than my cable gives me.

Make sure you turn off mobile notifications, though, as you'll be a solid 20+ seconds behind.

Thirded. Silk browser on fire stick to access the above is very easy and the better streams are in HD, little to no lag, and you just maximize the window for full screen viewing on your TV.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,944
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Root sports

Postby no name on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 am

What internet provider do you guys use?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,115
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Root sports

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pm

no name wrote:What internet provider do you guys use?

Spectrum (formerly Time Warner)
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,944
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Root sports

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 pm

no name wrote:What internet provider do you guys use?

Comcast (Harrisburg area)
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,798
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am

Re: Root sports

Postby johnnews on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 am

Verizon WIFI, Silk browser on FireStick is how I'm operating
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am
Location: Downingtown, PA

Re: Root sports

Postby Humperdink on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:54 am

Just picked up a Verizon Jet Pack (personal hot spot). $20/month. I already have unlimited data. Works pretty well so far.

Going to happily cut the land line and DSL.

Sales guy said I can watch TV with it. If that works, Dish is gone also.
Last edited by Humperdink on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,164
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Root sports

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Comcast (Waynesboro area) I had Dish Network at one time but satellite interruption was out of control. I also have the luxury of having the Comcast service guy living across the street which is nice.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,208
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Root sports

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm

Sorry for some of us, what is a nhl sub Reddit? How do we find it?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,264
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: Root sports

Postby brwi on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Sorry for some of us, what is a nhl sub Reddit? How do we find it?


Go to reddit.com and then search for /nhlstreams and you're in business.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,060
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

Re: Root sports

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Great info (and a timely thread from my point) I just signed up for Sling tv to cut the cord and have been wondering the same thing. I have used reddit streams before, so that's good to know.

Question on the NHL Center Ice subscription - does it provide Pens games to those local to Pittsburgh? And can I view it on Sling, Netflix, Hulu or Prime? I was just thinking the money saved off my insane cable bill should easily allow me the Center Ice subscription. Thoughts anyone?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,066
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Root sports

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Nbastreams just got in trouble, not sure how much longer nhlstreams will be around
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,611
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Root sports

Postby scb147 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Pitts wrote:Great info (and a timely thread from my point) I just signed up for Sling tv to cut the cord and have been wondering the same thing. I have used reddit streams before, so that's good to know.

Question on the NHL Center Ice subscription - does it provide Pens games to those local to Pittsburgh? And can I view it on Sling, Netflix, Hulu or Prime? I was just thinking the money saved off my insane cable bill should easily allow me the Center Ice subscription. Thoughts anyone?

To my knowledge, any of the actual paid packages from the NHL (Center Ice / NHL.tv) have the typical blackout restrictions. So if you are in an AT&T Sportsnet area that typical provides the Pens games, the games will be blacked out on the Center Ice / NHL.tv packages. You can't even pick up the other teams feed either. I really wish they would get rid of the blackout rules, but $$$.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Root sports

Postby Humperdink on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:28 pm

My foray into a Verizon Jet Hot Spot appears to be another vintage Verizon maneuver. Notified yesterday, with 15 days left in the billing cycle, that I had used up my 15 gig and my speed would now be reduced to 600 Kpbs. (I have unlimited data on my cell.) Didn't know the Jet Pack had a limit. Of course the Verizon sales guy failed to mention that. I suspect my television viewing at this speed with be spotty at best. Haven't tested it yet.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,164
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Root sports

Postby brwi on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:04 am

DelPen wrote:Nbastreams just got in trouble, not sure how much longer nhlstreams will be around


I have feared that and /nflstreams for 2 yrs now since I ditched DirecTV. Live MMA and soccer streams on reddit got canned recently and I've been surprised that nflstreams has survived this long. I figure nhlstreams will live longer than most but it's a matter of time.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,060
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

Re: Root sports

Postby no name on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:12 am

Pitts wrote:Great info (and a timely thread from my point) I just signed up for Sling tv to cut the cord and have been wondering the same thing. I have used reddit streams before, so that's good to know.

Question on the NHL Center Ice subscription - does it provide Pens games to those local to Pittsburgh? And can I view it on Sling, Netflix, Hulu or Prime? I was just thinking the money saved off my insane cable bill should easily allow me the Center Ice subscription. Thoughts anyone?


I could move to sling with no problem with netfix I think I would be fine but for my wife and daughter I think they would die. Its the idea of going to a bar or friends house to watch the Pens games that would be hard to do.

BTW how do you like Sling?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,115
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Root sports

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:32 am

scb147 wrote:To my knowledge, any of the actual paid packages from the NHL (Center Ice / NHL.tv) have the typical blackout restrictions. So if you are in an AT&T Sportsnet area that typical provides the Pens games, the games will be blacked out on the Center Ice / NHL.tv packages. You can't even pick up the other teams feed either. I really wish they would get rid of the blackout rules, but $$$.


See, that's BS. I wish they would realize that money could still be made by at least OFFERING a package within CI/NHL.tv that is slightly more expensive in order to satisfy the local broadcast company. I'd gladly pay extra to do so.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,643
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am
Location: Pathetic, Fake Fan by Simple Definition

Re: Root sports

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:37 am

no name wrote:
Pitts wrote:Great info (and a timely thread from my point) I just signed up for Sling tv to cut the cord and have been wondering the same thing. I have used reddit streams before, so that's good to know.

Question on the NHL Center Ice subscription - does it provide Pens games to those local to Pittsburgh? And can I view it on Sling, Netflix, Hulu or Prime? I was just thinking the money saved off my insane cable bill should easily allow me the Center Ice subscription. Thoughts anyone?


I could move to sling with no problem with netfix I think I would be fine but for my wife and daughter I think they would die. Its the idea of going to a bar or friends house to watch the Pens games that would be hard to do.

BTW how do you like Sling?

I've has Sling for about 2 years and I have almost no issue with it. You can customize your own TV package, which is nice although you still get some channels that you'll most likely never watch. They recently offered a package where you can choose to packages and receive two more at no additional cost.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,944
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Root sports

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am

brwi wrote:
DelPen wrote:Nbastreams just got in trouble, not sure how much longer nhlstreams will be around


I have feared that and /nflstreams for 2 yrs now since I ditched DirecTV. Live MMA and soccer streams on reddit got canned recently and I've been surprised that nflstreams has survived this long. I figure nhlstreams will live longer than most but it's a matter of time.

Gasp. You mean you're surprised that the NHL might be unhappy that the product that they provide that is so expensive for them is being given away for free. I'm amazed they've been up this long.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Root sports

Postby Daniel on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
no name wrote:
Pitts wrote:Great info (and a timely thread from my point) I just signed up for Sling tv to cut the cord and have been wondering the same thing. I have used reddit streams before, so that's good to know.

Question on the NHL Center Ice subscription - does it provide Pens games to those local to Pittsburgh? And can I view it on Sling, Netflix, Hulu or Prime? I was just thinking the money saved off my insane cable bill should easily allow me the Center Ice subscription. Thoughts anyone?


I could move to sling with no problem with netfix I think I would be fine but for my wife and daughter I think they would die. Its the idea of going to a bar or friends house to watch the Pens games that would be hard to do.

BTW how do you like Sling?

I've has Sling for about 2 years and I have almost no issue with it. You can customize your own TV package, which is nice although you still get some channels that you'll most likely never watch. They recently offered a package where you can choose to packages and receive two more at no additional cost.


I've only had minor issues with Sling, llike switching between channels and whatnot, but I think it's the best cutting the cord service. The only reason I don't have Sling now is because AT&T offered about $100 off per month so why not. I think the fact that AT&T can offer about $100 per month off the price tells me all I need to know about big cable companies.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,031
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 144 guests


e-mail