Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:37 pm

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... tice-soon/

Schultz looks to be ahead of schedule. His return forces their hand with a defenseman. If that dman is going to be a part of a bigger deal, it may happen sooner rather than later.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:00 pm

longtimefan wrote:https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsburgh-penguins-schultz-skates-in-full-gear-might-practice-soon/

Schultz looks to be ahead of schedule. His return forces their hand with a defenseman. If that dman is going to be a part of a bigger deal, it may happen sooner rather than later.

It doesn't really force their hand. That's their biggest point of strength, but there's certainly no urgency to deal a Dman when Shultz returns. This team is on a roll, which gives them the luxury to ease Shultz back in. They can deal a D asset when/if an opportunity presents itself. Or, they can entire the playoffs with good depth at the position,
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 pm

I tend to think they won't trade Jarry. I know the trade mongers throw him onto the heap because we have 2 goalies, but you need depth at the position and this team has none. Plus, he doesn't carry the value that "you" think he does.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:
longtimefan wrote:https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsburgh-penguins-schultz-skates-in-full-gear-might-practice-soon/

It doesn't really force their hand. That's their biggest point of strength, but there's certainly no urgency to deal a Dman when Shultz returns. This team is on a roll, which gives them the luxury to ease Shultz back in. They can deal a D asset when/if an opportunity presents itself. Or, they can entire the playoffs with good depth at the position,

They will have to send someone to the minors. They cannot carry 9 defenseman on the roster. They could send Riikola down, but the general feeling is they don't want to do that. They could waive Ruhwedel for the purpose of sending to the minors, but, the general feeling is they don't want to do that either.

I'd say Schultz is still a week or two away. If the price is right, I think Rutherford makes a deal before February 1st.....whether it is as simple as trading away a defenseman, or as big as a better deal to bring in a Brassard replacement.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 pm

Jim Matheson
‏ @NHLbyMatty
7h7 hours ago

If Oilers are scouring for forwards who can give them some offence outside of Connor, Leon, RNH and Chiasson who have 81 goals, they're probably checking in C Derick Brassard, UFA ($3 mil) who hasn't panned out in Pitts. Other possibles: UFA's Zuccarello, Dzingel, Ferland
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkintent on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 pm

The Oilers have literally no one we would want that they would conceivably trade.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Great58 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Malkintent wrote:The Oilers have literally no one we would want that they would conceivably trade.

I agree. Best we could hope for was a lottery-eligible draft pick. And where would Brassard slot into the Oilers lineup? As a 3C behind McDavid and RNH (with Draisaitl on McDavid’s wing)? Why would that work better than what’s been shown in PGH?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:15 am

Got a friend in Calgary who says the word of moving Frolik is constantly out there.

I know he had a down year last year but I wouldn’t read into it as his shooting % dropped quite a bit. I know he has a well rounded game and can motor pretty good. He’s always been a good possession player too. I haven’t looked into the numbers at all but I know Calgary might be interested in Jarry since Smith is done after this and stinks to a large degree. Maybe they’d like a guy like Oleksiak over Kylington or Andersson?

Total spitball here as I’m not sure they’d move a top 6 guy but he says there’s always chatter. Was he the guy that was healthy scratched and his agent started complaining on Twitter?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:31 am

murphydump55 wrote:Got a friend in Calgary who says the word of moving Frolik is constantly out there.

I know he had a down year last year but I wouldn’t read into it as his shooting % dropped quite a bit. I know he has a well rounded game and can motor pretty good. He’s always been a good possession player too. I haven’t looked into the numbers at all but I know Calgary might be interested in Jarry since Smith is done after this and stinks to a large degree. Maybe they’d like a guy like Oleksiak over Kylington or Andersson?

Total spitball here as I’m not sure they’d move a top 6 guy but he says there’s always chatter. Was he the guy that was healthy scratched and his agent started complaining on Twitter?

Yes, he was. His agent is Alan Walsh, he who will complain for his clients....see Drouin, Jonathan.

The biggest question I have is, if the Penguins bring in a winger:

1) He almost assuredly has to be a LW (or play multiple positions with LW the primary). Doubtful anyone unseats Rust, Hornqvist, or Kessel on the RW.
2) He has to be better than Dominik Simon. Now, for some, that seems simple. But, the Penguins really like Simon. Guentzel has the top LW spot. Pearson is going to have the 2nd or 3rd spot. Simon right now has the other.

Frolik is at 11 goals, 6 assists, with a 4.3M cap hit and turns 31 in about 4 weeks. Is that enough of a surefire upgrade to Simon, at 4 times the cost, to really make that move and move the assets to acquire?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:58 am

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Got a friend in Calgary who says the word of moving Frolik is constantly out there.

Yes, he was. His agent is Alan Walsh, he who will complain for his clients....see Drouin, Jonathan.

1) He almost assuredly has to be a LW (or play multiple positions with LW the primary). Doubtful anyone unseats Rust, Hornqvist, or Kessel on the RW.
2) He has to be better than Dominik Simon. Now, for some, that seems simple. But, the Penguins really like Simon. Guentzel has the top LW spot. Pearson is going to have the 2nd or 3rd spot. Simon right now has the other.

Frolik is at 11 goals, 6 assists, with a 4.3M cap hit and turns 31 in about 4 weeks. Is that enough of a surefire upgrade to Simon, at 4 times the cost, to really make that move and move the assets to acquire?

11 goals in 30 games. He missed some time. Anyway, it was just for chatter.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby KG on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am

Any thoughts on Brian Boyle? Big 3C/LW playoff type of player. Not sure he has the skills to dish the puck to Kessel but he’s a quality bottom 6 forward who should be available from Trader Ray.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 am

murphydump55 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

11 goals in 30 games. He missed some time. Anyway, it was just for chatter.

No, no problem with it. I discussed it a few pages ago when the Walsh comments came out, and he's someone I have brought up in past seasons as well. I do think he would be a good fit, but, I'm not sure how big of an upgrade some of these guys are.

It's why I still tend to lean towards something bigger and unexpected happening, contrary to what Rutherford is saying.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:48 am

Happened to listen to Madden yesterday on the drive home, and he had the Ole 29er on during my drive.

Madden and Bourque talked a bit about the Yohe piece with Rutherford and his comments about Brassard. They really shifted on the "another gear" comment, where Rutherford says Brassard hasn't shifted gears, into that higher gear that they fully believe he has.

Bourque basically said Brassard will go into the boards and battle for pucks.....but he won't battle hard enough. He'll skate to make a play.....but he won't skate hard enough. He had 3-4 of these, were essentially, made it sound like the effort just isn't there. He does a bunch of things, but he is just average at everything he is doing. He isn't playing to the level everyone knows he is capable of. Bourque went as far as saying, if it hasn't happened already, Rutherford needs to sit him down and say look, we have six weeks from the deadline, I have to SEE SOMETHING or I'm going to have to make a move. Bourque talked about the importance of Staal and Bonino in the Cup years, and said they need that again to have a strong playoffs.

I'm pretty confident the Penguins are not going to risk keeping him and "hoping" he decides to find that next gear near the playoffs. I know he had injuries last year, but the guy has been here a year. If he hasn't found it by now, I don't think it will show up in a Penguins uniform.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 am

FLPensFan wrote:Happened to listen to Madden yesterday on the drive home, and he had the Ole 29er on during my drive.

Madden and Bourque talked a bit about the Yohe piece with Rutherford and his comments about Brassard. They really shifted on the "another gear" comment, where Rutherford says Brassard hasn't shifted gears, into that higher gear that they fully believe he has.

Bourque basically said Brassard will go into the boards and battle for pucks.....but he won't battle hard enough. He'll skate to make a play.....but he won't skate hard enough. He had 3-4 of these, were essentially, made it sound like the effort just isn't there. He does a bunch of things, but he is just average at everything he is doing. He isn't playing to the level everyone knows he is capable of. Bourque went as far as saying, if it hasn't happened already, Rutherford needs to sit him down and say look, we have six weeks from the deadline, I have to SEE SOMETHING or I'm going to have to make a move. Bourque talked about the importance of Staal and Bonino in the Cup years, and said they need that again to have a strong playoffs.

I'm pretty confident the Penguins are not going to risk keeping him and "hoping" he decides to find that next gear near the playoffs. I know he had injuries last year, but the guy has been here a year. If he hasn't found it by now, I don't think it will show up in a Penguins uniform.

I would have hoped that Sullivan already had this conversation with him ? Not so much about the deadline, but rather there is more that he can give to this team. Assuming he is healthy, then I agree with you and I don't expect him to improve which means they need to find a replacement. It's a shame because I thought his addition along with Kessel would produce a dangerous third line and make this team much harder to defend.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am

FLPensFan wrote:Happened to listen to Madden yesterday on the drive home, and he had the Ole 29er on during my drive.

I think his "improvement" might come from playing with Sid and, if that's the case, is enough of a reason to trade him.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:Bourque basically said Brassard will go into the boards and battle for pucks.....but he won't battle hard enough. He'll skate to make a play.....but he won't skate hard enough. He had 3-4 of these, were essentially, made it sound like the effort just isn't there. He does a bunch of things, but he is just average at everything he is doing. He isn't playing to the level everyone knows he is capable of. Bourque went as far as saying, if it hasn't happened already, Rutherford needs to sit him down and say look, we have six weeks from the deadline, I have to SEE SOMETHING or I'm going to have to make a move. Bourque talked about the importance of Staal and Bonino in the Cup years, and said they need that again to have a strong playoffs.

My observations are exactly the same as Bourque's. They sum up everything we have and haven't seen from Brassard and that he is capable of better. Why he hasn't and seemingly won't is a mystery, but it does all come down to one crucial factor: effort. He hasn't given 100% for whatever reason.

Let another team find out if he'll fit better because he's of little use to the Pens now and is gone by UFA next season. Might as well try to get what you can now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:42 am

Word is Justin Schultz is likely ahead of schedule to the initial February 10th mark that was set when he got injured. Penguins play tonight in SJ, and FRI/SAT in ARZ and VGK respectively. After this weekend is the by week and All-Star break.

I have a strong feeling that Schultz will be a full participant in practice by the end of the week, and a trade of a defenseman and maybe Brassard is going to go down next week.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Buddy just pointed this one out, but St. Louis is looking for a shake-up and Schwartz's name has come up. Would fit the criteria perfectly here.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:30 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Buddy just pointed this one out, but St. Louis is looking for a shake-up and Schwartz's name has come up. Would fit the criteria perfectly here.

I'm not sure how well we match up in a trade. It would have to be Maatta + probably headed to the Blues.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Word is Justin Schultz is likely ahead of schedule to the initial February 10th mark that was set when he got injured. Penguins play tonight in SJ, and FRI/SAT in ARZ and VGK respectively. After this weekend is the by week and All-Star break.

I have a strong feeling that Schultz will be a full participant in practice by the end of the week, and a trade of a defenseman and maybe Brassard is going to go down next week.

Do you think they know who they want to trade or will they try Maatta, Riikola, and Oleksiak with Schultz 1st to see about chemistry?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:49 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Word is Justin Schultz is likely ahead of schedule to the initial February 10th mark that was set when he got injured. Penguins play tonight in SJ, and FRI/SAT in ARZ and VGK respectively. After this weekend is the by week and All-Star break.

Do you think they know who they want to trade or will they try Maatta, Riikola, and Oleksiak with Schultz 1st to see about chemistry?

I think you can drop Riikola from the conversation because he's the most likely to be sent down to WBS as they will have nine defensemen on the roster assuming a trade doesn't happen beforehand.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

I really think the only two viable trade options on defense are Maatta and Oleksiak. Riikola hasn't established himself enough yet to really have much value. If he was 20-22, with the games he has played, maybe. But he's 25. There is a difference. He still has a lot of room and potential to grow, but he won't pull down anything major in a return. Neither would Ruhwedel. Penguins have no plans to move Pettersson, and we know they aren't moving Johnson, Schultz, Dumoulin or Letang.

So you are back to Oleksiak and Maatta. Now it is down to what do the Penguins really need, and how big do they need to go. I think if they could only bring in one player, it has to be a 3C. Brassard isn't cutting it, they need an upgrade. There have been some rumors that the Penguins feel Sheahan could handle that role. He has looked good there in small streaks, but, to me, that is as big of a gamble as keeping Brassard. Go after a 3C, and if for some reason that acquired 3C fails like Brassard did, then turn to Sheahan.

I think ideally, the Penguins move Oleksiak and Brassard, maybe a pick and prospect, and in the end with some combination of those pieces going out they get a capable 3C. There is some thought of them needing a LW as well. I think they could use an upgrade on LW, but, I think you'd have to go big on LW to make that the primary target. Simon is doing an admirable job, so, I don't think just an average LW is going to do. Doesn't make sense to push a cheap Simon out of the lineup for a 2.5-4M LW who only puts up a few more points than Simon. I think you would need to get a bona-fide top 6 LW if that was the #1 target.

DK mentioned today that Simon isn't a bad player. He does a bunch of little things well, but, one of his main issues is that he still has an AHL player's shooter mentality. Simon doesn't have an overwhelming shot, and because of this, he kind of just shoots from anywhere. He'd rather get a low quality shot on net rather than trying to get into a better position for a better shot. I mean, that isn't the worst criticism, especially for this team that likes to make 27 passes before each shot.

I think some combination of Oleksiak, Brassard, picks and prospects may be going out, with a 3C as the return. That seems like the most likely scenario. If they wanted to make a bigger splash, then I would have to say Maatta, Brassard, picks, prospects, and lastly, Jarry, could be in play. Rutherford mentioned to DK this week about 3 goalie depth, which indicates to me that, unless Rutherford is getting a deal he thinks is just too good to pass up (or he can get another quality AHL level goalie in a cheap deal), he'll hang onto Jarry until the summer.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dark_forces on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I really think the only two viable trade options on defense are Maatta and Oleksiak. Riikola hasn't established himself enough yet to really have much value. If he was 20-22, with the games he has played, maybe. But he's 25. There is a difference. He still has a lot of room and potential to grow, but he won't pull down anything major in a return. Neither would Ruhwedel. Penguins have no plans to move Pettersson, and we know they aren't moving Johnson, Schultz, Dumoulin or Letang.

So you are back to Oleksiak and Maatta. Now it is down to what do the Penguins really need, and how big do they need to go. I think if they could only bring in one player, it has to be a 3C. Brassard isn't cutting it, they need an upgrade. There have been some rumors that the Penguins feel Sheahan could handle that role. He has looked good there in small streaks, but, to me, that is as big of a gamble as keeping Brassard. Go after a 3C, and if for some reason that acquired 3C fails like Brassard did, then turn to Sheahan.

I think ideally, the Penguins move Oleksiak and Brassard, maybe a pick and prospect, and in the end with some combination of those pieces going out they get a capable 3C. There is some thought of them needing a LW as well. I think they could use an upgrade on LW, but, I think you'd have to go big on LW to make that the primary target. Simon is doing an admirable job, so, I don't think just an average LW is going to do. Doesn't make sense to push a cheap Simon out of the lineup for a 2.5-4M LW who only puts up a few more points than Simon. I think you would need to get a bona-fide top 6 LW if that was the #1 target.

DK mentioned today that Simon isn't a bad player. He does a bunch of little things well, but, one of his main issues is that he still has an AHL player's shooter mentality. Simon doesn't have an overwhelming shot, and because of this, he kind of just shoots from anywhere. He'd rather get a low quality shot on net rather than trying to get into a better position for a better shot. I mean, that isn't the worst criticism, especially for this team that likes to make 27 passes before each shot.

I think some combination of Oleksiak, Brassard, picks and prospects may be going out, with a 3C as the return. That seems like the most likely scenario. If they wanted to make a bigger splash, then I would have to say Maatta, Brassard, picks, prospects, and lastly, Jarry, could be in play. Rutherford mentioned to DK this week about 3 goalie depth, which indicates to me that, unless Rutherford is getting a deal he thinks is just too good to pass up (or he can get another quality AHL level goalie in a cheap deal), he'll hang onto Jarry until the summer.

Terrific post! Well organized and sensible. I think we may see Brassard dealt for a pick, maybe a 2nd rounder (best guess), and then that pick or our own 2nd could be packaged with Oleksiak for a 3rd line center. I'd like to see a big centerman in the mold of Staal circa 2009, where offense isn't necessarily what's asked of him but he can convert when presented with an opportunity and he's good on face-offs, can PK and is just tough to play against. A playoff type player.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm

If the Pens move Maatta, Brassard and picks I'd be willing to roll the dice with a 3rd line of Pearson, Sheahan and Kessel if you get a LW that is younger who can play top 6.

Ideally you bump Simon to the 4th line and use him to fill in if there are injuries.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm

dark_forces wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Terrific post! Well organized and sensible. I think we may see Brassard dealt for a pick, maybe a 2nd rounder (best guess), and then that pick or our own 2nd could be packaged with Oleksiak for a 3rd line center. I'd like to see a big centerman in the mold of Staal circa 2009, where offense isn't necessarily what's asked of him but he can convert when presented with an opportunity and he's good on face-offs, can PK and is just tough to play against. A playoff type player.

Choices could be Coyle (Minn.), Tierney (OTT), or possibly Danault (MTL). I'd like Coyle but it's unknown if he'd be available.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins