Game 67 vs Flames - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 67 vs Flames - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:02 am

Pens win 4-3 in OT

- Everything about the Pens OT winner was skill, the initial pass to Malkin, his reception & sneak, pass to Kessel, fake shot & perfect wide open net for Schultzie
- Jarry bounced back, made the stops when needed. I think he’d like one of those back, but its all about the W’s
- Johnny Hockey is worthy of the name, but he’ll lose it if he keeps missing on breakaways in OT. Most impressed with his super tight quick tight turn, that’s enough to shake most guys
- Letang had another solid game, loved seeing him make up for the Backlund gaffe with the wicked wrister strike
- Pens 4th line is a hot steaming mess right now. Everyone seems to hate Sheary, but I think he’ll work his way out of the funk. That line has been redefined so many times.
- Brassard started winning some key draws, not been impressed by that part of his game so far. He still looks out of place, DK’s site had a good article on how different Sens plays vs Pens
- Ruhwedel looks to already having replaced Hunwick. But I do hope Hunwicks gets some games in along the way, he will be called upon and you don't want him totally rusty
- Loved seeing the pre-game promotional players come out & celebrate hockey is for everyone. Both teams loved it and so did the crowd. Kudos to all involved!! :fist:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 67 vs Flames - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 am

2 Points and another victory for Jarry.
Giving up almost 40 shots to the flames, no, not good.
You can almost see the puck explode when Sheary touches the puck. He's not suited to the 4th line and it shows with the goals given up by his line. He has got to play out his slump.
Sidney is great enough to score goals all on his own. If he wants to play defensive forward bring Sprong up. Right now Jake isn't finding the net.

Kucherov 85, hearing huge and galloping steps of Evgeni with 82!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Faubert5 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 am

- Geno 19 points last 10 games and he leads the league with 12 3-point games this year.
- Jarry looked like a serviceable backup last night and made some really good saves.
- Forwards need to get back to playing defense.
- Sid needs to get rolling again before the playoffs.
- Tanger did have a solid game and that is very good news.
- I'd like to see one or two of the young WBS Pens Dmen before the playoffs.
- ZARro needs to get healthy soon.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby longtimefan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 am

-Kris Letang may very well be the key to a 3peat. I heard Sully interviewed yesterday, and I know Letang's alluded to how the Pens expected it to be a long road back. He struggled horribly, and Sully said he never considered reducing his role, as they thought he had to play through it. They won the Cup last season without him, but people seem to forget that he was a real candidate for the Conn Smythe in 2016. When he's right, he's a bonafide number #1. His stat line in his last 10 games: 3G 6A 9P +9.

-One of the things they sacrificed bringing in Brassard was a big time faceoff guy. He has struggled in the circle, but he was a bit below 50% before we acquired him. I have made it a point to watch him closely at the game, and it's obvious it's going to take a bit of time. He's only played four games. He's got a goal, an assist, and is +2, but what I've been most impressed with is his mobility and skill. He makes some nifty passes, but they don't connect because they need to build chemistry. He and Kessel seem to be building some. There's no doubt he upped the skill level up front for the Pens. He only takes a back seat to Sid, Geno, and Phil in terms of skill. I'm anxious to see how things look once he starts to settle in. I heard him say yesterday that he's trying to get used to the " go go go" game. He's also got a sense of humor. He was asked last week how long it would take to build chemistry, and he said it took him about a year and a half with his last team. Then he smiled. :)

-I believe Sheary had four shots and was a -2 in a little over 8 minutes. I'll reserve judgement on the +/-, since I can't recall his role in either goal. I did hear Sully say they like him on that line. I thought it was crazy at first, but I'm actually warming up to it. It does give that line a different dynamic with Sheary's speed and quickness, and his offensive bent. I thought they'd likely stick with Rowney to kill penalties and act a a good RH faceoff guy, but I see they want to incorporate Brassard into the PK. I do see potential in having Conor on that line. Which is the idea. Maximize your forwards, and play as fast as possible. That's been Sully's way. Sheahan takes shifts at wing, Sheary plays the 4th line, and the 2nd PP. Keeping his ice time down may not be a bad idea either, considering his own admission he gets run down. I'm warming to the idea. It does play havoc with the other teams matchups.

In a strange way, it might be best for Hunwick to come in rusty, even in the playoffs. Kind of a fresh start. The guy's no star, but he he has been a bottom paring NHL defenseman for several years. He played 26 minutes a night for the Leafs just last spring. I think Oleksiak is part of the equation. If he struggles on the right, and they switch him to the left, it hurts Hunwick's chances of getting back in. Hunwick just hasn't been able to play the right, or the left for that matter. Not playing may actually allow him to reset.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:41 am

longtimefan wrote:-Kris Letang may very well be the key to a 3peat. I heard Sully interviewed yesterday, and I know Letang's alluded to how the Pens expected it to be a long road back. He struggled horribly, and Sully said he never considered reducing his role, as they thought he had to play through it. They won the Cup last season without him, but people seem to forget that he was a real candidate for the Conn Smythe in 2016. When he's right, he's a bonafide number #1. His stat line in his last 10 games: 3G 6A 9P +9.

-One of the things they sacrificed bringing in Brassard was a big time faceoff guy. He has struggled in the circle, but he was a bit below 50% before we acquired him. I have made it a point to watch him closely at the game, and it's obvious it's going to take a bit of time. He's only played four games. He's got a goal, an assist, and is +2, but what I've been most impressed with is his mobility and skill. He makes some nifty passes, but they don't connect because they need to build chemistry. He and Kessel seem to be building some. There's no doubt he upped the skill level up front for the Pens. He only takes a back seat to Sid, Geno, and Phil in terms of skill. I'm anxious to see how things look once he starts to settle in. I heard him say yesterday that he's trying to get used to the " go go go" game. He's also got a sense of humor. He was asked last week how long it would take to build chemistry, and he said it took him about a year and a half with his last team. Then he smiled. :)

-I believe Sheary had four shots and was a -2 in a little over 8 minutes. I'll reserve judgement on the +/-, since I can't recall his role in either goal. I did hear Sully say they like him on that line. I thought it was crazy at first, but I'm actually warming up to it. It does give that line a different dynamic with Sheary's speed and quickness, and his offensive bent. I thought they'd likely stick with Rowney to kill penalties and act a a good RH faceoff guy, but I see they want to incorporate Brassard into the PK. I do see potential in having Conor on that line. Which is the idea. Maximize your forwards, and play as fast as possible. That's been Sully's way. Sheahan takes shifts at wing, Sheary plays the 4th line, and the 2nd PP. Keeping his ice time down may not be a bad idea either, considering his own admission he gets run down. I'm warming to the idea. It does play havoc with the other teams matchups.

In a strange way, it might be best for Hunwick to come in rusty, even in the playoffs. Kind of a fresh start. The guy's no star, but he he has been a bottom paring NHL defenseman for several years. He played 26 minutes a night for the Leafs just last spring. I think Oleksiak is part of the equation. If he struggles on the right, and they switch him to the left, it hurts Hunwick's chances of getting back in. Hunwick just hasn't been able to play the right, or the left for that matter. Not playing may actually allow him to reset.

I think my next project is going to be tracking how many times Conor Sheary falls to the ice....per game....per shift....etc. I feel like every time I watch a Sheary shift he's laying on the ice somewhere, picking himself up.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:51 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:-Kris Letang may very well be the key to a 3peat. I heard Sully interviewed yesterday, and I know Letang's alluded to how the Pens expected it to be a long road back. He struggled horribly, and Sully said he never considered reducing his role, as they thought he had to play through it. They won the Cup last season without him, but people seem to forget that he was a real candidate for the Conn Smythe in 2016. When he's right, he's a bonafide number #1. His stat line in his last 10 games: 3G 6A 9P +9.

I think my next project is going to be tracking how many times Conor Sheary falls to the ice....per game....per shift....etc. I feel like every time I watch a Sheary shift he's laying on the ice somewhere, picking himself up.

Ok so a lot of people complain about Sheary and I have always sort of not understood it. So last night I paid extra close attention to him every shift. I kind of get the critical analysis now. He does indeed find himself on the ice a LOT. Sometimes last night I even wondered if he was on purpose going down on the ice as there was not or didnt seem to be contact. Anyways, I still think he is a good hockey player but he defintely needs to start scoring goals. When compared to Hagelin, who also has his quirks, Hagelin is doing other things that maybe allow someone to overlook his lack of scoring.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I didn't see the game but watched the highlights, and it struck me that Jarry looks a bit like Flower did that one season, right after his wife had their first baby, and I attributed some of it to him not getting sleep/rest lol, but remember how he would flop around and overplay shots? Maybe we can get the same goalie coach in who "cured" Flower and settle Jarry down. He also is an easy target when he is on his knees, teams seem to know they can just wrist shots over his shoulder like last night. But hopefully with more experience and someone working with him he will settle down, I have a feeling this won't be the only time Murray is out as he tends to get dinged a lot.

I hope Sheary finds his role too, I really like that kid and the speed and energy that he brings, and he scored some huge goals in the Cup runs. Why did they take him off Crosby's line, used to be "Sid and the kids" awhile back with him Sid and Guentzel? The games that I do see Sully seems to change lines quite a bit...I hope he settles down and starts scoring again.
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:47 pm

--Jarry was very good. The first goal was a bit soft, but he made a ton of other good saves, especially going post-to-post when the Pens left someone open at the back door.
--Which leads to...the Pens as a team were quite bad defensively. Obviously, not as bad as the Florida or Boston games, but this goes deeper than one player or one line. The Flames got chances on the rush because guys weren't back-checking. They got wide open looks at the back door because of blown d-zone coverage. They had some really long shifts in the Pens' zone because nobody was winning pucks battles on the boards.
--The 4th line is maybe a bit improved from Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Rowney. I thought they had some good cycling shifts in the Flames' end, but they also got stuck in their own zone for long stretches, including the ones that led to the 1st 2 Calgary goals.
--I'd say the team is close to OK offensively. They're still trying to get the lines right and build some chemistry, so the passing seems off at times, but they did get 4 goals and generated plenty of other chances.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Sheary-Sheahan-Rust would make a good 4th line. Hope to see that soon.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Maestro wrote:Sheary-Sheahan-Rust would make a good 4th line. Hope to see that soon.

HELL NO to Rust on 4th line! He deserves better..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I liked Sheary on the forth line against the Islanders, but thought he got pushed around a lot last night.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:58 pm

My biggest take away is still the number of odd man breaks - I just don't understand how it's possible.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Maestro wrote:Sheary-Sheahan-Rust would make a good 4th line. Hope to see that soon.

So does Sheahan, but there's only so many spaces.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:17 pm

BurghThing wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:

So does Sheahan, but there's only so many spaces.

How about... Hunwick-Rowney-Sheary in the press box eating nachos?

Sheary with 2G, 5A in 24 games (start calendar year). The same as.. Jamie Oleksiak?! :scared: That's about .29ppg

Behind such offensive miracle-workers as:
Hagelin, 6G 12A (.66ppg)
Sheahan, 6G 8A (.51ppg)
Guentzel, 7G 8A (.55ppg)
Rust, 6G 9A (.83ppg!!! :scared: )
Hörnqvist, 6G 4A (.52ppg)
Simon, 4G 6A (.25ppg)
Määttä, 4G 5A (.33ppg)
Dumoulin, 2G 7A (.36ppg)

But ahead of:
Aston-Reese, 4G 2A (sample size) (.60ppg)
Hunwick 1G, 4A (:lol:)
Reaves 3G, 2A (:lol:) (.27ppg)
Sprong 2G, 1A (sample size) (.37ppg)
Kühnhackl 1G, 3A (.21ppg)

The eye-test doesn't do #43 any favours either. Bench!
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins