WAKE UP RS!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

WAKE UP RS!

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:34 am

We need some grit and size.. out current team is smaller and softer than it was.. We lost Iginla, Cooke , Morrow, Murray , Kennedy..
and added Scuderi so far.. common Shero!!!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: WAKE UP RS!

Postby taz71 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 am

you forgot how we are getting to old, don't develop youth, fire Bylsma and can't believe its not Fleury
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:46 am

taz71 wrote:you forgot how we are getting to old, don't develop youth, fire Bylsma and can't believe its not Fleury

pretty much yeah :D
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 am

Kennedy and grit/size were used in the same sentence?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 am

I'm not sure how serious this thread is. We aren't even 48 hours into free agency.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:10 am

Pens4Life wrote:We need some grit and size.. out current team is smaller and softer than it was.. We lost Iginla, Cooke , Morrow, Murray , Kennedy..

So we lost Matt Cooke is what you are telling me ?

:wink:
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 am

I dunno about you guys but the only guys that looked "old and slow" are on that list (ie: Iginla, Morrow and Murray). Kennedy was a bad cap hit this season. Only player that will remotely "hurt" will be the loss of Matt Cooke. That being said, the addition of Scuds more than makes up for Cookie's departure.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 am

Hawkeynut wrote:I dunno about you guys but the only guys that looked "old and slow" are on that list (ie: Iginla, Morrow and Murray). Kennedy was a bad cap hit this season. Only player that will remotely "hurt" will be the loss of Matt Cooke. That being said, the addition of Scuds more than makes up for Cookie's departure.

I'm with you Hawkeynut. The only complaint I have about the current team's makeup is that it may be, MAY BE, a bit soff. Doesn't seem to be a team that opponents hate to play against. Ah well, you can't have everything. :pop:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:18 am

Rugbymuffin wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:We need some grit and size.. out current team is smaller and softer than it was.. We lost Iginla, Cooke , Morrow, Murray , Kennedy..

So we lost Matt Cooke is what you are telling me ?

:wink:

That's exactly what I thought when I read the original post.

Last year Shero was able to go out and get the guys he did because teams could spend up to $70.2 mil. You've gotta let those guys walk.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 am

This team is lacking a little sandpaper, and forward depth.

On July 7th.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck Drama on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 am

Shero has painted himself into a corner. The Pens won the Cup with a great 3rd line - now all those players are gone. Now Dupius will be a bad cap hit.
What is so laughable - all the defensive prospects the team is supposed to have. Why is Shero over spending on defensive free agents?
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Steve wrote:This team is lacking a little sandpaper, and forward depth.

On July 7th.

That is the scariest part to me, forward depth. We all know injuries will happen, and I just don't see any legitimate forwards in WBS.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Puck Drama wrote:Shero has painted himself into a corner. The Pens won the Cup with a great 3rd line - now all those players are gone. Now Dupius will be a bad cap hit.
What is so laughable - all the defensive prospects the team is supposed to have. Why is Shero over spending on defensive free agents?

Here is a list of players that received a higher annual salary Dupuis, but produced less than him last year:

Jarome Iginla
Bryan Bickell
Nathan Horton
Daniel Alfredsson
Stephen Weiss
Daniel Briere
Ryan Clowe
Michael Ryder
Patrick Elias
Clarke MacArthur
Vincent Lecavalier
Valtteri Filppula
Tyler Bozak
Mike Ribero
David Clarkson

Can we put the "Dupuis' cap hit is bad" story to rest?
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:47 pm

topshelf wrote:
Puck Drama wrote:Shero has painted himself into a corner. The Pens won the Cup with a great 3rd line - now all those players are gone. Now Dupius will be a bad cap hit.

Here is a list of players that received a higher annual salary Dupuis, but produced less than him last year:

Jarome Iginla
Bryan Bickell
Nathan Horton
Daniel Alfredsson
Stephen Weiss
Daniel Briere
Ryan Clowe
Michael Ryder
Patrick Elias
Clarke MacArthur
Vincent Lecavalier
Valtteri Filppula
Tyler Bozak
Mike Ribero
David Clarkson

I'm actually excited to explore this contract and argument 4 years from now.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:59 pm

This topic is tremendous and if you take it even sort of seriously, then the jokes on you.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Bioshock wrote:This topic is tremendous and if you take it even sort of seriously, then the jokes on you.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck Drama on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:36 pm

The question to ask - why Shero/Bylsma afraid of young players?
The impact of the stupid deadline trades, will further degrade an already barren prospect system.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:24 pm

topshelf wrote:

Jarome Iginla
Bryan Bickell
Nathan Horton
Daniel Alfredsson
Stephen Weiss
Daniel Briere
Ryan Clowe
Michael Ryder
Patrick Elias
Clarke MacArthur
Vincent Lecavalier
Valtteri Filppula
Tyler Bozak
Mike Ribero
David Clarkson

Except those comparisons only make sense if those players had had a similar opportunity to play alongside Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin last season. That is not to suggest Dupuis' contract is necessarily a bad move by the Penguins (I happen to think it may be two years too long, but it is not a crippling move by any means), but those are apples-to-oranges comparisons.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:26 pm

DayWalker wrote:Except those comparisons only make sense if those players had had a similar opportunity to play alongside Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin last season. That is not to suggest Dupuis' contract is necessarily a bad move by the Penguins (I happen to think it may be two years too long, but it is not a crippling move by any means), but those are apples-to-oranges comparisons.

Right, there is no doubt that some of them may have scored more than Dupuis on Sid's line, but not at Dupuis' price.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:33 pm

topshelf wrote:
DayWalker wrote:Except those comparisons only make sense if those players had had a similar opportunity to play alongside Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin last season. That is not to suggest Dupuis' contract is necessarily a bad move by the Penguins (I happen to think it may be two years too long, but it is not a crippling move by any means), but those are apples-to-oranges comparisons.

Right, there is no doubt that some of them may have scored more than Dupuis on Sid's line, but not at Dupuis' price.

That is the benefit of having Dupuis on the roster so that he can take that hometown discount. My concern is the contract given to the disappearing act on Crosby's other wing.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:35 pm

DayWalker wrote:
topshelf wrote:

That is the benefit of having Dupuis on the roster so that he can take that hometown discount. My concern is the contract given to the disappearing act on Crosby's other wing.

He had a better year than Dupuis last year, so the same rules apply. No one else can match that production for that price. Is the name of the game we'll play when we have top talent in Malkin and Sid.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:44 pm

topshelf wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
topshelf wrote:

He had a better year than Dupuis last year, so the same rules apply. No one else can match that production for that price. Is the name of the game we'll play when we have top talent in Malkin and Sid.

Production in the regular season.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:59 pm

DayWalker wrote:
topshelf wrote:

Jarome Iginla
Bryan Bickell
Nathan Horton
Daniel Alfredsson
Stephen Weiss
Daniel Briere
Ryan Clowe
Michael Ryder
Patrick Elias
Clarke MacArthur
Vincent Lecavalier
Valtteri Filppula
Tyler Bozak
Mike Ribero
David Clarkson

Except those comparisons only make sense if those players had had a similar opportunity to play alongside Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin last season. That is not to suggest Dupuis' contract is necessarily a bad move by the Penguins (I happen to think it may be two years too long, but it is not a crippling move by any means), but those are apples-to-oranges comparisons.

Dupuis still put up numbers when Malkin and Sid were hurt, and he was not playing along side of them. I think Dupuis is the type of guy that could play with anyone and still be productive.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 am

Puck Drama wrote:The question to ask - why Shero/Bylsma afraid of young players?
The impact of the stupid deadline trades, will further degrade an already barren prospect system.

MISTAKES....Guys like Letang make young player mistakes. We aren't losing because we are too soft. We are losing because we make too many boneheaded mistakes.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 am

headh wrote:
Puck Drama wrote:The question to ask - why Shero/Bylsma afraid of young players?

MISTAKES....Guys like Letang make young player mistakes. We aren't losing because we are too soft. We are losing because we make too many boneheaded mistakes.

Lets clarify, we are not losing in the regular season, we play great, its the playoffs where the bone head mistakes take place.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins