Welcome back Rob Scuderi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Welcome back Rob Scuderi

Postby CERV96 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:51 pm

helmespc wrote:So #4? #5? #45? What'll it be?

He should do every person a favor who bought Iginla jerseys and wear #12. All they would have to do is switch the name plate.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:12 pm

sil wrote:
opie22002 wrote:Do you think Scuderi will be partnered with Letang? LA had him paired with Doughty.

I'd imagine you'll see them together a lot. Scuds could should see some time with Despres as well.

You think Scuderi will be stuck in the press box?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:23 pm

I love me some Scuds but I don't like the 4 years and this deal again clearly sends a message that this organization doesn't want to play young players.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Nevermind this summer, this is in my top 5 transactions since the Pens won the Cup.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Guess I am one of the few that is not crazy about this move. I would have liked to see the Pens get younger not older. But I am wrong so often, we probably win 3 cups in a row.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby taz71 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:43 pm

It is a really good price and takes some pressure off our young defenseman
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:46 pm

taz71 wrote:It is a really good price and takes some pressure off our young defenseman

The Pens need to learn to trust their young players not continue to push them further down the depth chart. Not saying that they still can't do that with Scuderi here but it certainly doesn't give you the impression that they are going to.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:49 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:So, with Scuderi back we now have 20 players under contract and about 750k in cap space remaining. Generally, teams go into the season with 23 players on the active roster. However, according to NHL.com, the minimum roster is 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders.

Any chance we go with maybe 21 or 22 players to save against the cap? That seems risky, but as it stands right now we can only afford 1 more contract. Looks like someone is going to have to be moved before the start of the season.

the Pens have a little more than $1.3M in space. I also suspect Niskanen could be on his way out.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:55 pm

This is a great signing as it makes orpik expendable.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:16 pm

I agree with a lot of what I've read in this thread, namely:
- Nisky will be traded
- Orpik either won't be back when his contract is up or Martin becomes trade bait next year.
- I hate not giving the prized young D guys time but 82 games is a long season and injuries are going to happen. I think we will see several of these guys getting decent PT next year.
- I wasn't a huge Scuds fan before, but I like what I saw in LA and think he is a huge upgrade over the current roster. He can play a ton of minutes without making costly mistakes.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

I also expect to see the Pens choose Orpik over Niskanen even though, to me, it's a mystifying decision.

Apart from a rough end to this season, Niskanen has been better than Orpik since his arrival. The former is stepping into his own while the latter has been on the decline for years now. Niskanen's next contract should be reasonable as his body of work is still meager. The physicality with which everyone so quickly defenses Orpik is rather worthless when it continually costs the team penalties and goals against. That $1.5m difference in cap hit could certainly come in handy at the deadline.

So, yeah, a blindingly obvious decision I expect the Pens to completely whiff on almost solely out of loyalty.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:27 pm

jmh470 wrote:I also expect to see the Pens choose Orpik over Niskanen even though, to me, it's a mystifying decision.

Apart from a rough end to this season, Niskanen has been better than Orpik since his arrival. The former is stepping into his own while the latter has been on the decline for years now. Niskanen's next contract should be reasonable as his body of work is still meager. The physicality with which everyone so quickly defenses Orpik is rather worthless when it continually costs the team penalties and goals against. That $1.5m difference in cap hit could certainly come in handy at the deadline.

So, yeah, a blindingly obvious decision I expect the Pens to completely whiff on almost solely out of loyalty.

Never know, Orpik could be looking for a payday on what could be his final big contract. Maybe he gets traded, knowing that we can't offer what he might want, with term.

Or, he may be happy to ride into the sunset here and not look for big dough. I like Brooks and really value his skating. Sure he comes with some holes, but I'd still like to keep him.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 pm

jmh470 wrote:I also expect to see the Pens choose Orpik over Niskanen even though, to me, it's a mystifying decision.

Niskanen has been better than Orpik? C'mon now.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BigMcK on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Kings fan next to me says he is sad to see a player that played like he didn't care about highlights go. Offered advice that Scuds should tell to the Pens that are still here from the Cup year: See the second ring? Team play gets you that. Let's go get it.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck Drama on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:22 am

Just what the Penguins needed. Proves that Shero/Bylsma do not like young players.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:05 pm

This is actually part of a larger trade that hasn't been announced yet:

Malkin for Kopitar, Brown and Scuderi. :pop: ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby no name on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Do you think Byslma will try Scuds at LW??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Dont really like the signing.. pushes young guys down and its too many years.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:27 pm

no name wrote:Do you think Byslma will try Scuds at LW??

Nah, HCDDB has learned his lesson about that LW slot, but I did hear he was considering a move to put Scuds in Net. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Yippeeee!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:26 pm

I just hope people keep this in perspective and realize Scuds is the #4 d-man in the depth chart as Letang, Martin, and Orpik logged more minutes on average per game than Scuds did last year. Additionally Scuds routinely was trapped in his own zone when here as a penguin due to lack of skating and passing ability. He's only gotten older and slower since then.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 pm

I'd rather have Scuderi then not have Scuderi.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Chara is 36 years and signed till 41

Scuderi is 34 and signed till 38

I think it is a good deal for a defensive shot blocking top 4 defenseman. I am sure the Kings would take him back in a heart beat. Better signing overall than Michalek. He is the type of defenseman we have been missing. Plays the type of game that a D doesn't learn till age 29-30 anyway.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins