Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby Bioshock on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Three pizza delivery guys and 15 unidentified pizza boxes all just walked in the NHL office

Eklund is vindicated!

DAMMIT!!! You Beat me to this! Came on here to say just that.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Meetings already over...

But will carry on tomorrow.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Calzones tomorrow?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ulf on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 pm

columbia wrote:Calzones tomorrow?

owners want strombolis
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 pm

I could really go for a wedgie from Larry and Carol's in South Oakland.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Bioshock wrote:Meetings already over...

They came, ate pizza, called each other other names, and left for the evening. Why stress out by pulling an all nighter, no need for urgency here.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:09 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Meetings already over...

They came, ate pizza, called each other other names, and left for the evening. Why stress out by pulling an all nighter, no need for urgency here.

Lolwut
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Versteeg is an idiot. He makes $4.4M per year for being super mediocre because of a lot of the decisions Bettman made. His comments along with White's are how you know the players are just flat out idiots and have no business being involved in a financial discussion. Fehr is doing his best to brainwash them that there is some evil going on.

The players need to stop talking to media b/c every time they do, they show how unfit for these conversations they are.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm

bhaw wrote:Versteeg is an idiot. He makes $4.4M per year for being super mediocre because of a lot of the decisions Bettman made. His comments along with White's are how you know the players are just flat out idiots and have no business being involved in a financial discussion. Fehr is doing his best to brainwash them that there is some evil going on.

The players need to stop talking to media b/c every time they do, they show how unfit for these conversations they are.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

If both sides could step back and take a look at each other they might make some head way. But as long as idoits speak their minds you are going to hear things like this, no wonder why Bettman has a gag order on the owners, imagine the banter you would get from them.

Player and owners, one can survive without the other. Just get it done. Well actually the owners can survive they have millions from thingas other than hockey....
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Things will continue to go nowhere until the NHLPA actually comes to the table with something. And by "something" i mean a proposal more than a page long and not just being verbal where the head of the PA says, "I haven't run the numbers on the proposal."
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 pm

tfrizz wrote:A comment on tsn.ca:

mikememfis wrote:The ill will the owners have created amongst the players by their stance in this lockout will never go away. Now try signing your key guys for less based on loyalty, when the owners try to pull these kinds of stunts. Nothing good comes of this

That's something I never thought of. With the animosity between the league and the players, you can pretty well say goodbye to anyone taking a "home town discount". And, if the players are as worried about what happens when the next CBA expires as a few sources have said, then you can expect them to try to milk every last cent possible out of the contracts before then.

Yeah, then the MLB, NFL and NBA would have the same issues - its not like they were all buddy buddy. Not saying the owners are not to blame or the NHL hasnt handled themselves perfectly. But some of the backlash is strictly based on the fact its not the NFL, MLB or NBA who 2 of the 3 got worse deals than the NHL is proposing, one of which is a monster revenue machine.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-players-rocking-puck-gary-lockout-hats-because-233110831--nhl.html

:face:

the more the players misdirect their anger, the more comfortable the owners feel. the fact that they still can't understand who is actually locking them out is hilarious and sad.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 am

bhaw wrote:Versteeg is an idiot. He makes $4.4M per year for being super mediocre because of a lot of the decisions Bettman made. His comments along with White's are how you know the players are just flat out idiots and have no business being involved in a financial discussion. Fehr is doing his best to brainwash them that there is some evil going on.

I dont disagree that versteeg is an idiot, but i don see how a player who benefits from bettman's ineptitude is an idiot because they call the guy out for being inept. They seem to have first hand experience.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:44 am

Whatever guys like Versteeg and White say probably has zero impact on the negotiations. It's not like either side will be surprised to learn that some players are idiots. Key word being some here.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:17 am

this *@##)*@ sucks
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:30 am

fyi- ryan malone has joined the pens at southpointe for practice. :) Brent Johnson too.
We need whitney back here for our full compliment of ryans'. ( forgot about the new / old pen) ryan sutter.
:P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Now i would just assume Gary gets his directives from the owners and then maybe he is given the freedom about how to get them what they want.

Gary just doesn't decide to try and get "this" even though the owners don't want that. I am sure that the GM and owners meetings in Florida give Gary a clear cut "needs list" from the owners.

It is totally possible for Gary to walk out of a meeting and say we got a new CBA, then take it to the owners and the owners don't approve it he has to go back and get something different.

The players and fans who think this lockout is just on Gary (one person) are just plain wrong.

ANd this lockout was going to happen anyway you look at it, when you got all the time in the world to do something, it usually won't get done until the pressure of a dealine looms over it. Even if Fehr came to Gary a year ago they would of never put down meaningful proposals until time is of the essence.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Claude Giroux took a nasty hit for Berlin, heading back to Atlanta to get tested for neck/concussion issues.

On an unrelated note, I'm completely over hockey this season at this point. Just absolutely disgusted with everyone involved. Cancel the year, cancel the next two years...IDGAF
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm getting really close to IDGAF.

Blech.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I agree with a lot ot points the writer makes, but he somehow took the opposite conclusion that I did. He should have praised the owners for sticking to their guns and trying to make the league better. Not cave in to the terrorist.

I'd argue that the current players are making the game better, not the owners. The players are the ones playing the games, scoring the goals, making the highlight reel, playing in the shootout...

To add, the players are the ones playing the game. Fans pay to see the players, not the owner(s)

We're talking about different things. I meant that owners want to improve the league now. I don't think this is a grab for money on their part. This league can't survive if so many teams lose money. This league will be better if teams aren't able to cheat on contracts that take a dive toward the end. This is all for the game, for us, for the players. Players seem to only want to increase their wallet - to hell with a fair game, to hell with franchises that are going under. Fehr must really have them convinced that owners are sitting on a ton of money, hidden somewhere in their closets. Just the fact that they want to get paid for this full season, even if they end up playing half, makes it very clear that they're in the wrong and that they are the problem.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I dont disagree that versteeg is an idiot, but i don see how a player who benefits from bettman's ineptitude is an idiot because they call the guy out for being inept. They seem to have first hand experience.

Biting the hand that feeds you and all that..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm

So tired of this nonsense.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:38 pm

no name wrote:The players and fans who think this lockout is just on Gary (one person) are just plain wrong.

I think Bettman gets too much flak in general. I was going to expand on it a little, but luckily (for me) I don't have to. I was clicking on links and came across this one. From a guy who doesn't even sound like he's fully on the side of the owners/Bettman. Yet, even he's able to recognize that Bettman has done quiet a good job over the years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-why-gary-bettman-not-bad-nhl-150238216--nhl.html
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 pm

columbia wrote:I'm getting really close to IDGAF.

Blech.

now is this IDGAF about whether the season gets saved or not, or I(won't)GAF about hockey when it comes back? i think more people are trending towards the former, but still very very few towards the latter.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Azkar on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:12 pm

I dunno why everyone is still following this. There's not going to be a season.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins