Pens sign Forward Prospect Jayson Megna

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens sign Forward Prospect Jayson Megna

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:04 am

Alrighty, for reference, additionally, players that play Canadian Major Junior hockey (that is, QMJHL, OHL, WHL) are not eligible for the NCAA. In rare instances, NCAA players can go to juniors though (see: Keith, Duncan; Oleksiak, Jamie). The NCAA believes that the stipend that junior players receive counts as "payment" and thus eliminates their NCAA eligibility. Junior 'A' programs though are a good stepping stone for NCAA players (USHL, OJHL, BCHL, etc.) however.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:05 am

I hate trying to follow NCAA rules for any sport
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 am

mikey287 wrote:Sidebar to the discussion, but on topic to the thread. I've dug up some footage of this kid, I'm mildly impressed. Something I haven't really said or felt with other undrafted free agents that we've tried recently (or came close to, like that Russian kid from the USHL from last year). I like his skating, he has that "pro burst", he works really well on his edges, protects the puck pretty well, he'll initiate some contact, pretty good release, can get the puck up in a hurry, definitely seems like a shooter...not sure about his vision, seems to be a bit of a DIYer...I want to hear from a couple contacts on the kid and watch a little more of whatever I can find, but I'm not scoffing at this kid so quickly like some of the others...

Good, because it could have just been a "great day" for him, but there wasn't another player on the ice during the final day scrimmage that popped off the ice more visually.

He was all around the net with opportunities and showed speed, hands and tenacity. The other forwards on the ice that day all looked slow in comparison except for Marcantuoni (sp?).

He has speed, hands, decent shot and seemed to see the ice well. When I looked at my sheet and saw the FAs on it, the only two I thought were worth a shot were Megna and the big D-man.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:47 am

I lol every time I see this guy's name too.

Kind of like every time I see that a guy played for "Frolunda" in sweden lulz
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:01 am

mikey287 wrote:Sidebar to the discussion, but on topic to the thread. I've dug up some footage of this kid, I'm mildly impressed. Something I haven't really said or felt with other undrafted free agents that we've tried recently (or came close to, like that Russian kid from the USHL from last year). I like his skating, he has that "pro burst", he works really well on his edges, protects the puck pretty well, he'll initiate some contact, pretty good release, can get the puck up in a hurry, definitely seems like a shooter...not sure about his vision, seems to be a bit of a DIYer...I want to hear from a couple contacts on the kid and watch a little more of whatever I can find, but I'm not scoffing at this kid so quickly like some of the others...

Thanks Mikey - I'd definately be interested in hearing what your contacts have to say...

here is another article with a few quotes from Megna:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120801/M ... 19812/1707
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:53 pm

I just didn't notice him during development camp for the most part. I just watch what's going on and look for people to stand out, good or bad. On the rare occasions I do try to focus in on a specific player, it's usually a higher profile prospect, not an undrafted rookie free agent invite. I'm not saying the signing is good or bad. I've only seen him skate a whopping 5 times, and nothing stood out good or bad in that time.

On one hand, I'm not surprised they added another forward, given the lack of prospects there and all of the departures from Wilkes Barre. On the other, I was a little surprised to see them hand out what figures to be their last contract; as others mentioned, assuming the remaining RFAs (who were all qualified as far as I know) re-sign and Harrington is returned to juniors, they are at 50, which is the max.

I'm choosing to believe this is just the second step towards getting Andrej Sustr signed after inviting him to camp a few weeks back. :) Those two, along with Pens prospect Josh Archibald, played for the University of Omaha-Nebraska last season.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:19 pm

My little pint-sized scouting report was more or less confirmed by people that see him all the time. Adding to my "DIYer" remark, he does hold the puck a little too long and his decision-making has come into question a bit at times. Like many goal scorers, he can disappear through stretches and be virtually unnoticeable. This is one of the better and more creative free agent signings we've made (50% pro-Megna, 50% indictment of our scouting staff). Was coveted by about 1/4 or 1/3 of the NHL, narrowed it down to Pittsburgh, Winnipeg and Boston...chose Pittsburgh. The organization likely gave him reason to believe that he could be a prime position sooner rather than later...though Winnipeg could also offer that, so we must have done something to make him come here...(in addition to being teammates with Josh Archibald).

Whole hell of a lot more exciting than Sill and Payerl at least...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:54 am

mikey287 wrote:so we must have done something to make him come here...(in addition to being teammates with Josh Archibald).

Here's hoping the same holds true whenever Andrej Sustr (another UNO teammate of Megna and Archibald) decides to go pro.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:06 pm

WINGER FOR TEH SID!?!
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NebraskaNic on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 am

I thought having seen some of these kids live here in town from time to time that I should comment.

It really feels like the Pens are trying to build connections with the Nebraska-Omaha program. Their recently hired coach Dean Blais (I think he was hired a year or two ago) is held in very high esteem and the team is one of the better conditioned and better rush teams in their league. It's also no secret that Bill Guerin has spent some time here towards the end of last season. There is a vibe that the Pens' scouting presence has increased around here.

Not to mention it might be convenient that the Omaha Lancers, formerly owned by Mario, are a hop and a skip away. I don't know Lemieux's relationship to that team these days, but there is a connection there as well.
NebraskaNic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Just saw the item on the Main Site about him. He led WBS in preseason with 3 goals in 3 games.

Not sure exactly, but I have a good feeling about him. I think his skils translate to the structured flow of the the Pro game and I hope that playing with better players will mean he loses the "do it yourself" tendencies. I looked all over the WBS site and can't see anywhere that they list the current roster.

He is very intriguing.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:10 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Just saw the item on the Main Site about him. He led WBS in preseason with 3 goals in 3 games.

Not sure exactly, but I have a good feeling about him. I think his skils translate to the structured flow of the the Pro game and I hope that playing with better players will mean he loses the "do it yourself" tendencies. I looked all over the WBS site and can't see anywhere that they list the current roster.

He is very intriguing.

I listened to a couple of the WBS preseason games on the internet. I think Megna was centering a line with Brian Gibbons and I can't remember who the third forward was. He also play some point on the PP. He scored three goals, and by listening to the games it sounds like he could have scored another 2 or 3 based on the chances he had. They interviewed Tom Fitzgerald at intermission during one of the games and he spoke highly of Megna's hockey IQ, work ethic, and skill level. Lets see what he does in the regular season AHL games before we get too excited.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins