Active future HOF players

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Active future HOF players

Postby Great58 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Who, currently playing in the league, is a certain HOF entry upon retiring?

Thornton
Crosby
Ovechkin

Others that you see as “can’t miss”?

MAF and Hank could probably retire now and gain HOF entry. Bergeron for his consistent grip on the Selke. Chara.

I see Malkin and Patrick Kane as probable, but if they retired today, no?
Marleau, if he breaks all-time games played record. But without a Cup or individual awards, I’m not sure, otherwise.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,227
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Active future HOF players

Postby joopen on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 am

This could be a fun exercise. Research time. Be back with some more soon.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,954
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Active future HOF players

Postby joopen on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:17 pm

As of right now (leaving out younger, promising players) this is my list of players in the discussion including a couple who are around 30 who likely will be there. I'm not saying they all make it but these are the ones worth talking about or in certain cases don't even need a discussion.

Patrice Bergeron - Selke stranglehold makes up for offensive numbers lacking
Zedeno Chara - One of the most dominant and feared defenders in his generation
Sergei Bobrovskiy - 2 Vezina. Time for more and rack up some wins. Playoff success would be cherry on top.
Steven Stamkos - 400 goals at age 29. Should get to 500 with health (and Kucherov)
John Tavares - Should end up with nice looking career stats with some health and playing with the talent around him.
Henrique Lundqvist - Only thing he misses out on is a Stanley Cup. All other numbers are there w/ a Vezina
Sidney Crosby - Top 5 player of all time?
Evgeni Malkin - Health will dictate final numbers but in if he retires today.
Alex Ovechkin - Shows no sign of slowing down. Could end up top 5 in goals all time. Based on era, could be the best goal scorer of all time.
Nicklas Backstrom - Should hit 1000 points. Has no hardware and compiled assists with Ovechkin. Tough one.
Patrick Kane - If not for Ovechkin, could be the best winger of this generation. Should hit a few milestones to go along with his trophy collection.
Duncan Keith - 2 Norris & a Conn Smythe is a nice resume. Possibly Chicago's most important piece to 3 Cups?
Eric Staal - Can he be productive enough and hang on long enough to hit 500 goals? He's at 421 at age 35. Should hit 1000 very soon.
Ryan Getzlaf - Similar to Staal. should hit 1000 points next year (this year if he has a great year). 1 Cup & no hardware. I struggle with him and Staal
Drew Doughty - Has a Norris but unless LA recovers and becomes good again, I don't see him being decorated enough to make it.
Anze Kopitar - He is Ryan Getzlaf with 2 Selkes and an extra Cup.
Ilya Kovalchuck - How many goals would he have if he stayed in the NHL? Let me answer - a whole hell of a lot. 436 with 5 years lost to the KHL. He would probably be at or around 600.
Joe Thronton - Is he this generation's Ron Francis? He's in but he is a compiler.
Patrick Marleau - Also a compiler. Except he doesn't have the exceptional seasons that Thornton had. He gets in with his goal & point total but I don't feel good about it like I do with Joe.
Brent Burns - A great 5 - 6 year stretch of production from a defenseman. He does have a Norris to show for it.
Erik Karlsson - Speaking of production from a defenseman... .83 PPG from a defenseman. 2 Norris and time to add on. He'll be in one day.
Marc-Andre Fleury - All he does is win games. The only guys over 400 wins who aren't HOF are either not eligible or Chris Osgood & Cu-Jo. He will be top 5 before its all over. Probably finishes his career #3 in all-time wins. If he can play 4-5 more years he might have a shot at Roy at #2. I say he gets in.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,954
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Active future HOF players

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:21 pm

Biggest thing that strikes me on that list is Bobrovsky. Without further playoff success there's no way he even sniffs the hall. Many more years of dominant play on a non-playoff team will certainly help, but the body of work as it stands is merely impressive, not HOF worthy.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,191
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: north central Ohio

Re: Active future HOF players

Postby joopen on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:40 am

Sigwolf wrote:Biggest thing that strikes me on that list is Bobrovsky. Without further playoff success there's no way he even sniffs the hall. Many more years of dominant play on a non-playoff team will certainly help, but the body of work as it stands is merely impressive, not HOF worthy.


Right now the only thing that separates Bob and say Lundqvist is time.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,954
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Active future HOF players

Postby Great58 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:31 am

joopen wrote:As of right now (leaving out younger, promising players) this is my list of players in the discussion including a couple who are around 30 who likely will be there. I'm not saying they all make it but these are the ones worth talking about or in certain cases don't even need a discussion.

Patrice Bergeron - Selke stranglehold makes up for offensive numbers lacking
Zedeno Chara - One of the most dominant and feared defenders in his generation
Sergei Bobrovskiy - 2 Vezina. Time for more and rack up some wins. Playoff success would be cherry on top.
Steven Stamkos - 400 goals at age 29. Should get to 500 with health (and Kucherov)
John Tavares - Should end up with nice looking career stats with some health and playing with the talent around him.
Henrique Lundqvist - Only thing he misses out on is a Stanley Cup. All other numbers are there w/ a Vezina
Sidney Crosby - Top 5 player of all time?
Evgeni Malkin - Health will dictate final numbers but in if he retires today.
Alex Ovechkin - Shows no sign of slowing down. Could end up top 5 in goals all time. Based on era, could be the best goal scorer of all time.
Nicklas Backstrom - Should hit 1000 points. Has no hardware and compiled assists with Ovechkin. Tough one.
Patrick Kane - If not for Ovechkin, could be the best winger of this generation. Should hit a few milestones to go along with his trophy collection.
Duncan Keith - 2 Norris & a Conn Smythe is a nice resume. Possibly Chicago's most important piece to 3 Cups?
Eric Staal - Can he be productive enough and hang on long enough to hit 500 goals? He's at 421 at age 35. Should hit 1000 very soon.
Ryan Getzlaf - Similar to Staal. should hit 1000 points next year (this year if he has a great year). 1 Cup & no hardware. I struggle with him and Staal
Drew Doughty - Has a Norris but unless LA recovers and becomes good again, I don't see him being decorated enough to make it.
Anze Kopitar - He is Ryan Getzlaf with 2 Selkes and an extra Cup.
Ilya Kovalchuck - How many goals would he have if he stayed in the NHL? Let me answer - a whole hell of a lot. 436 with 5 years lost to the KHL. He would probably be at or around 600.
Joe Thronton - Is he this generation's Ron Francis? He's in but he is a compiler.
Patrick Marleau - Also a compiler. Except he doesn't have the exceptional seasons that Thornton had. He gets in with his goal & point total but I don't feel good about it like I do with Joe.
Brent Burns - A great 5 - 6 year stretch of production from a defenseman. He does have a Norris to show for it.
Erik Karlsson - Speaking of production from a defenseman... .83 PPG from a defenseman. 2 Norris and time to add on. He'll be in one day.
Marc-Andre Fleury - All he does is win games. The only guys over 400 wins who aren't HOF are either not eligible or Chris Osgood & Cu-Jo. He will be top 5 before its all over. Probably finishes his career #3 in all-time wins. If he can play 4-5 more years he might have a shot at Roy at #2. I say he gets in.

I knew I was overlooking defensemen. Agree on Keith and Karlsson, if their careers ended today they’d be in.

I was surprised to see how far down the career scoring leaders list Stamkos and Tavares are, as they’ve had nice careers so far.

1100 points for a forward seems to be the magic number, IMO, with a few exceptions, unless you have Selke, Conn Smyth or Hart (and probably Richard) trophies.

So Kopitar will get in with 2 Cups/2 Selke.

Toews? Captain of three Cup winners, Messier award winner? Probably won’t get to 900 career points, though, if his play continues to struggle so mightily.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,227
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Active future HOF players

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:06 pm

joopen wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:Biggest thing that strikes me on that list is Bobrovsky. Without further playoff success there's no way he even sniffs the hall. Many more years of dominant play on a non-playoff team will certainly help, but the body of work as it stands is merely impressive, not HOF worthy.


Right now the only thing that separates Bob and say Lundqvist is time.



Well... Lundqvist is no sure thing, and time still exists, so there is still no way Bob sniffs the hall at this point.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,191
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: north central Ohio


Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail