Politics... have at it!!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 am

Interesting there are nearly as many views/day for this woebegone thread as the hockey thread on the Pens/Canandian series. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe it's like watching a slow motion train wreck.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 am

Humperdink wrote:
theblackarts wrote: I think by holding his hand in explaining how to start a non-confrontational political conversation based on apparently unbiased writing ......


You cannot engage in a "non-confrontational" political conversation by name-calling, ridicule, and condescension. Which is why I have ignored pretty much all of your responses. To wit: "I think by holding his hand ......" Classy, eh?

I enjoy a spirited political debate. In fact, I relish it. But I will not engage a person with your style and methods.


Hump, perhaps you are not aware of what trolling is. You name-call, ridicule, and condescend against liberals and liberalism in nearly every single one of your posts. You are regularly smug and condescending in your replies to me, as well as interstorm. What sort of treatment do you think you have earned? Am I not going above and beyond in patiently asking you to be reasonable?

You haven’t so much as entertained the idea of a good faith argument in months (not a great way to show a love for political debate), while I literally showed you how to do so and provided links to examples of such, and now you’re proposing that I lack class? Spare me Hump.

This is the... 4th time you’ve claimed a pretend level of moral superiority in saying “I do not engage with” blah blah blah, as if you’re Aristotle himself, showering the peasants with bread crumbs of golden knowledge like “this gun data, presented without context, proves democratic mayors are evil” and “Liz Warren is pretending to be a native chieftain but it’s a parody so it’s classy,” and “Liberals are an amorphous, exploitative blob that’s ruining everything,” and “what about Obama?!” etc., etc. If these aren’t the words of a champion of civilized political discourse, I don’t know what would be.

Instead of self-examination and peace-making, your next post will be one of “a certain commentator needs to talk to Daniel,” or “here’s a substanceless parody” or “look at this crime data” or one of your many crutch trolls. You must be a man of values; I can only infer so much from your posts.

If you love political debate, prove it. Do the right thing: post with the goal of being constructive, learning something, proving a point rooted in a value system, asking me to explain a position, etc etc.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:58 am

Dialogue? Not.A.Chance.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 am

Humperdink wrote:Dialogue? Not.A.Chance.


So you relish political debate, but you will not engage in an honest one. Got it. Thanks for making your intentions clear.

Would you prefer that I only reply to your trolls post with my own troll posts? Is that your vision of a proper debate?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 am

Headline: "Pelosi Suffers Meltdown After Learning of Roger Stone Commutation"

Pardon me if I snicker. Stone was an idiot, but he was railroaded. Stone was arrested by a full swat team, with CNN cameras in tow. Jury forewoman was out to get any and all Trumpers and stated so publicly. Judge imposed an unconditional gag order.

“Congress will take action to prevent this type of brazen wrongdoing," Pelosi wailed. "Legislation is needed to ensure that no President can pardon or commute the sentence of an individual who is engaged in a cover-up campaign to shield that President from criminal prosecution."

No comment yet from Ms. Pelosi on Obama commuting the sentence of traitor Bowe Bergdahl and pardoning Terrorist Oscar Lopez Rivera. Nor on former Commander-in-Heat Bill Clinton accepting a bribe to pardon international fugitive Marc Rich.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronsonst ... n-n2572326
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby interstorm on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:44 am

theblackarts wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Dialogue? Not.A.Chance.


So you relish political debate, but you will not engage in an honest one. Got it. Thanks for making your intentions clear.

Would you prefer that I only reply to your trolls post with my own troll posts? Is that your vision of a proper debate?


Given the posters yesterday appear to agree he is a troll yet oddly still defend the troll - I assume so. Guess the viewers here are uncomfortable disecting their position and don't want to rationally discuss it. Instead they'll cling to their feelings and retreat from engagement.

You wouldn't change them - they aren't seeking ideas or dialog...only confirmation on what they already hold. This video does a wonderful job at analyzing that mindset: https://youtu.be/oHg5SJYRHA0
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,092
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 am

interstorm wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Dialogue? Not.A.Chance.


So you relish political debate, but you will not engage in an honest one. Got it. Thanks for making your intentions clear.

Would you prefer that I only reply to your trolls post with my own troll posts? Is that your vision of a proper debate?


Given the posters yesterday appear to agree he is a troll yet oddly still defend the troll - I assume so. Guess the viewers here are uncomfortable disecting their position and don't want to rationally discuss it. Instead they'll cling to their feelings and retreat from engagement.

You wouldn't change them - they aren't seeking ideas or dialog...only confirmation on what they already hold. This video does a wonderful job at analyzing that mindset: https://youtu.be/oHg5SJYRHA0


It really is interesting. As soon as I corner him in an argument he claims that he’s insulted and can no longer “engage,” so he changes the subject to a new topic, I reply, and the process repeats itself. He would not do well in any sort of academic or professional setting where claims are challenged. I would love to see him present his “headlines” to a panel of political scientists and watch their reactions. I think that’s why he posts here, to anyone that will listen, because there are no rules or moderators. I wonder if he realizes that relentlessly shoveling coal into the political climate dumpster fire is closer to anarchy than conservatism?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby interstorm on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:48 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... ump_rally/

These people represent the worst of America, a land that once proudly stated the following:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door


The challenges our nation has faced, from a king across a sea to an invisible virus, we have always been our best when unified.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,092
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:01 am

The Trump campaign put out a T-shirt with an American eagle on it. Some lefty claims the eagle on the shirt is a Nazi symbol. Fact checker extraordinaire USA Today says "True".

USA Today later clarifies a bit: "Clarification: The claim that Trump 2020 has put out a T-shirt with a symbol similar to a Nazi eagle and is being criticized for it is true. Worth noting, the eagle is a longtime US symbol, too." <<<<< No kidding.

The political opposition has completely lost it. Just as the left can find racism under every rock, they find find Nazism in every aspect of the Trump campaign. The link has a pic of the shirt.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... gement.php

From the American Thinker: "It cannot be said too often that Nazis (or, more accurately, “National Socialists”) and fascism are leftist creations. They are about statism, not individual liberty. One of the biggest Big Lies of the American left is to try to tie the Nazis to American conservativism, which is dedicated to less government control, not more.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:55 am

Wow Humperdink, you've really outdone yourself this time. Great sleuthing to uncover this obvious truth! It's hard to believe that The American Thinker has flipped politics on its head, out-maneuvering literally every educated take on poli sci since the end of WWII, but thank the lord above that they've done it.

Humperdink wrote:The Trump campaign put out a T-shirt with an American eagle on it. Some lefty claims the eagle on the shirt is a Nazi symbol. Fact checker extraordinaire USA Today says "True".

USA Today later clarifies a bit: "Clarification: The claim that Trump 2020 has put out a T-shirt with a symbol similar to a Nazi eagle and is being criticized for it is true. Worth noting, the eagle is a longtime US symbol, too." <<<<< No kidding.

The left is truly nuts. Just as the left can find racism under every rock, they find find Nazism in every aspect of the Trump campaign. The link has a pic of the shirt.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... gement.php


What would you say are the three biggest differences between the two designs? Does the article say that it's a Nazi symbol, or that it's similar to a Nazi symbol? I mean, that would make a big difference in the outcome of the fact-check. I know you don't like to read the articles that you post, but you probably should; the devil is in the details. See below for my take:

Humperdink wrote:From the American Thinker: "It cannot be said too often that Nazis (or, more accurately, “National Socialists”)


I mean, if socialism is in the name, surely they acted just like socialists would, right?!

Humperdink wrote: and fascism are leftist creations. They are about statism, not individual liberty. One of the biggest Big Lies of the American left is to try to tie the Nazis to American conservativism, which is dedicated to less government control, not more.


Alrighty, there's a lot to unpack here, but I'll try to be brief, since this is so hilariously outrageous. Fascism is not an inevitable end to liberal logic, but a gross abuse and consolidation of power by people who crave it. The traditional US concept of Big Government and the fascist regimented economy couldn't be more different. When Trump gaslights the country, claims the media is the enemy of the people and that his word alone is true, uses the slogan MAGA, replaces anyone with any sort of expertise with anyone who is loyal to him, withholds military aid from Ukraine unless they "investigate" his political adversary," pardons his henchmen to the chagrin of his own AG, threatens military action against his own citizens, benefits politically from slandering minorities, demonizes his political opponents, etc. etc. etc., he is borrowing from the fascist playbook, but he is not a fascist by definition, he is a populist/populist demagogue/illiberal democrat or any number of other synonymous labels. This is not an opinion, this a description of his actions relative to those of historical fascists and populists.

If you feel that the Trump admin is truly focused on individual liberty as their end goal, you have a lot of explaining to do. If you feel that liberals are in any way promoting socialism over democracy, you have been badly fooled. It's also important to note that american Nazis and other groups that champion white-ness and exclusion have traditionally supported American conservatism, so regardless of right or left historical affiliation, there is undoubtedly one political ideology in America that has their attention right now.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:55 am

Conservatism: Small government.
Liberalism: Big government control.
Conservatism: Cut taxes.
Liberalism: Raise taxes.
Conservatism: Free speech
Liberalism: Ban "hate" speech (Note: Liberals determine what is hate speech).
Conservatism: School choice.
Liberals: Over my dead body.
Conservatives: Get people off welfare by finding them a job.
Liberalism: Keep people dependent on the government, thereby expanding it.
Conservatism: Listen to everyone's viewpoints.
Liberalism: Search out conservative professors in academe, vilify them, ostracize them, then have them removed.
Conservative: Support all political views in movies/theater.
Liberalism: Have Hollywood/Broadway blacklist conservative producers.

Fascism: "A tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control" (Merriam-Webster)

Who's closer?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 am

Humperdink wrote:Conservatism: Small government.
Liberalism: Big government control.
Conservatism: Cut taxes.
Liberalism: Raise taxes.
Conservatism: Free speech
Liberalism: Ban "hate" speech (Note: Liberals determine what is hate speech).
Conservatism: School choice.
Liberals: Over my dead body.
Conservatives: Get people off welfare by finding them a job.
Liberalism: Keep people dependent on the government, thereby expanding it.
Conservatism: Listen to everyone's viewpoints.
Liberalism: Search out conservative professors in academe, vilify them, ostracize them, then have them removed.
Conservative: Support all political views in movies/theater.
Liberalism: Have Hollywood/Broadway blacklist conservative producers.

Fascism: "A tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control" (Merriam-Webster)

Who's closer?


Haha, ok Hump. Let's play your game. According those options, it sounds like conservatives are the clear and righteous winners! I never would have guessed. Now, would you like me to make up whatever I want about conservatives and ask you to choose, or can you imagine how that would go?

Now that you see how silly that was of you, please defend against my rebuttal, pointing out the errors in my logic. Whatever you do, don't change the subject! ;-)
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 am

Don’t know much about the Stone case but have a few questions.

1) how many prisoners have been released from prison due to coronavirus and how grievous were their crimes? Were their crimes equal to or worse than lying to Jerry Nadler and Adam Schiff?
2) was there a need to get stone in prison by July 14?
3) the reports seem to indicate that the jury foreman in his case was pretty biased. Was that accurate?
4) was he found guilty in a DC court? Seems like he got arrested in Florida. Not sure how any non democrat gets a fair trial in DC when you are looking for a jury of peers.
5) what was the purpose of the judge putting a gag order on stone about the case?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,854
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 am

Southern Fan wrote:Don’t know much about the Stone case but have a few questions.

1) how many prisoners have been released from prison due to coronavirus and how grievous were their crimes? Were their crimes equal to or worse than lying to Jerry Nadler and Adam Schiff?
2) was there a need to get stone in prison by July 14?
3) the reports seem to indicate that the jury foreman in his case was pretty biased. Was that accurate?
4) was he found guilty in a DC court? Seems like he got arrested in Florida. Not sure how any non democrat gets a fair trial in DC when you are looking for a jury of peers.
5) what was the purpose of the judge putting a gag order on stone about the case?


1) I would say that no, their crimes were not nearly as offensive lying to congress, witness tampering in a federal investigation, and obstruction of justice. Fox news as an excellent breakdown of the number of prisoners released in each state, as well as the severity of their crimes if you don't want to take my word for it. No one newly convicted of seven felonies was released. Most were non-violent or at the end of their sentences.
2) No idea
3) Let's say for the sake of argument she was. The evidence is exceptionally solid and easy to understand.
4) I assume because the crime was committed in DC, that's where he was tried.
5) I would say that a limited gag order on a key figure in a national security case is not abnormal. Stone posted a photo of the judge with crosshairs next to her on his IG account, and thus was fully gagged. He then begged for forgiveness.

I assume you feel that his crimes weren't a big deal. He could have easily not committed them, why do you think he did?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby interstorm on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:21 am

theblackarts wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Conservatism: Small government.
Liberalism: Big government control.
Conservatism: Cut taxes.
Liberalism: Raise taxes.
Conservatism: Free speech
Liberalism: Ban "hate" speech (Note: Liberals determine what is hate speech).
Conservatism: School choice.
Liberals: Over my dead body.
Conservatives: Get people off welfare by finding them a job.
Liberalism: Keep people dependent on the government, thereby expanding it.
Conservatism: Listen to everyone's viewpoints.
Liberalism: Search out conservative professors in academe, vilify them, ostracize them, then have them removed.
Conservative: Support all political views in movies/theater.
Liberalism: Have Hollywood/Broadway blacklist conservative producers.

Fascism: "A tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control" (Merriam-Webster)

Who's closer?

* This is a parody


Haha, ok Hump. Let's play your game. According those options, it sounds like conservatives are the clear and righteous winners! I never would have guessed. Now, would you like me to make up whatever I want about conservatives and ask you to choose, or can you imagine how that would go?

Now that you see how silly that was of you, please defend against my rebuttal, pointing out the errors in my logic. Whatever you do, don't change the subject! ;-)


Bwaa-ha-ha...cannot be real. Anyway, I fixed his post for him. He forgot one little tag line he appears to be adding to the end of his comments these days. Belongs here for sure.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,092
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 pm

theblackarts wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Don’t know much about the Stone case but have a few questions.

1) how many prisoners have been released from prison due to coronavirus and how grievous were their crimes? Were their crimes equal to or worse than lying to Jerry Nadler and Adam Schiff?
2) was there a need to get stone in prison by July 14?
3) the reports seem to indicate that the jury foreman in his case was pretty biased. Was that accurate?
4) was he found guilty in a DC court? Seems like he got arrested in Florida. Not sure how any non democrat gets a fair trial in DC when you are looking for a jury of peers.
5) what was the purpose of the judge putting a gag order on stone about the case?


1) I would say that no, their crimes were not nearly as offensive lying to congress, witness tampering in a federal investigation, and obstruction of justice. Fox news as an excellent breakdown of the number of prisoners released in each state, as well as the severity of their crimes if you don't want to take my word for it. No one newly convicted of seven felonies was released. Most were non-violent or at the end of their sentences.
2) No idea
3) Let's say for the sake of argument she was. The evidence is exceptionally solid and easy to understand.
4) I assume because the crime was committed in DC, that's where he was tried.
5) I would say that a limited gag order on a key figure in a national security case is not abnormal. Stone posted a photo of the judge with crosshairs next to her on his IG account, and thus was fully gagged. He then begged for forgiveness.

I assume you feel that his crimes weren't a big deal. He could have easily not committed them, why do you think he did?


I just don’t know. Stone does seem like a sleaze. But that list is long.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,854
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Southern Fan wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Don’t know much about the Stone case but have a few questions.

1) how many prisoners have been released from prison due to coronavirus and how grievous were their crimes? Were their crimes equal to or worse than lying to Jerry Nadler and Adam Schiff?
2) was there a need to get stone in prison by July 14?
3) the reports seem to indicate that the jury foreman in his case was pretty biased. Was that accurate?
4) was he found guilty in a DC court? Seems like he got arrested in Florida. Not sure how any non democrat gets a fair trial in DC when you are looking for a jury of peers.
5) what was the purpose of the judge putting a gag order on stone about the case?


1) I would say that no, their crimes were not nearly as offensive lying to congress, witness tampering in a federal investigation, and obstruction of justice. Fox news as an excellent breakdown of the number of prisoners released in each state, as well as the severity of their crimes if you don't want to take my word for it. No one newly convicted of seven felonies was released. Most were non-violent or at the end of their sentences.
2) No idea
3) Let's say for the sake of argument she was. The evidence is exceptionally solid and easy to understand.
4) I assume because the crime was committed in DC, that's where he was tried.
5) I would say that a limited gag order on a key figure in a national security case is not abnormal. Stone posted a photo of the judge with crosshairs next to her on his IG account, and thus was fully gagged. He then begged for forgiveness.

I assume you feel that his crimes weren't a big deal. He could have easily not committed them, why do you think he did?


I just don’t know. Stone does seem like a sleaze. But that list is long.


Well, when Bush's well-respected republican director of the FBI says Stone has committed felonies shielding a republican president, I'm inclined to believe him. It'd be one thing if stone was singled out to be the fall guy, but he's one of several charged in pattern of similar behavior, which (some) republican congresspeople have labeled deeply concerning. So, I think that's a pretty good check on my personal biases. Is it possible that somewhere along the way a democrat(s) took advantage of the situation? I have no doubt whatsoever. But the big picture is hard for anyone to argue with; the Mueller report is fairly ironclad.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Humperdink wrote:Conservatism: Small government.
Liberalism: Big government control.
Conservatism: Cut taxes.
Liberalism: Raise taxes.
Conservatism: Free speech
Liberalism: Ban "hate" speech (Note: Liberals determine what is hate speech).
Conservatism: School choice.
Liberals: Over my dead body.
Conservatives: Get people off welfare by finding them a job.
Liberalism: Keep people dependent on the government, thereby expanding it.
Conservatism: Listen to everyone's viewpoints.
Liberalism: Search out conservative professors in academe, vilify them, ostracize them, then have them removed.
Conservative: Support all political views in movies/theater.
Liberalism: Have Hollywood/Broadway blacklist conservative producers.

Fascism: "A tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control" (Merriam-Webster)

Who's closer?


How could I forget?:

Conservatism: Abortion stops a beating heart.
Liberalism: Sells hearts (and other baby parts, for that matter).
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:08 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Conservatism: Small government.
Liberalism: Big government control.
Conservatism: Cut taxes.
Liberalism: Raise taxes.
Conservatism: Free speech
Liberalism: Ban "hate" speech (Note: Liberals determine what is hate speech).
Conservatism: School choice.
Liberals: Over my dead body.
Conservatives: Get people off welfare by finding them a job.
Liberalism: Keep people dependent on the government, thereby expanding it.
Conservatism: Listen to everyone's viewpoints.
Liberalism: Search out conservative professors in academe, vilify them, ostracize them, then have them removed.
Conservative: Support all political views in movies/theater.
Liberalism: Have Hollywood/Broadway blacklist conservative producers.

Fascism: "A tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control" (Merriam-Webster)

Who's closer?


How could I forget?:

Conservatism: Abortion stops a beating heart.
Liberalism: Sells hearts (and other baby parts, for that matter).


If you're going to hold that claim, you also need to explain:

1) Why abortion was legalized in the first place, because I don't think you know
2) How abortion rates have changed since it was legalized/what is responsible for that statistic
3) The effect of PP and similar clinics on their communities and women as a whole around the world
4) The hypothetical repercussions of making abortion illegal again, and why conservative justices routinely vote against that
5) That your argument is not a religious one, but purely based on constitutionality. It wouldn't make any sense to hold everyone accountable to your personal religious beliefs, unless you subscribe to some other bizarre form of government that isn't liberal democracy.

Edit: grammar
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:19 am

Humperdink wrote:
Conservatism: Abortion stops a beating heart.
Liberalism: Sells hearts (and other baby parts, for that matter).



In 1973, SCOTUS Justice Harry Blackmun wrote the majority opinion permitting abortion nationwide. The decision essentially said abortions were permitted in the first trimester, states could regulate abortions in the second trimester and abortions in the third trimester were a no-no. It was a compromise as Blackmun admitted in writing the justice(s) did not know when life began. (Hey, lets error on the side extermination.) Thus began the slippery slope.

The argument at the time was the baby (heretofore called a fetus) could not survive outside womb in the early weeks of the gestation period. Remember that? And it was just a collection of cells. That argument crumbled as medical advances enabled babies/fetus to be saved significantly earlier than 39 weeks. A feminist quipped: "yeah we know it's a baby, but we are not retreating". It's ironic the legal system charges a person with a double murder when a pregnant women is killed. And yet in the vernacular it is called a fetus, not a baby.

Fast forward to 2020, and we have Governor Ralph Northum, stating that a baby .... er .... fetus who survives an abortion will be set aside until a conversation is had as to whether to kill it. Still not a baby yet. Critical thinking skills? Not on this subject.

Some one mentioned the religious aspect of this. Yeah, there sure is. Try nominating a pro-life judge and watch the left become apoplectic. It is their religion. Conservative Christians worship living God ( Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart). Pro-abortion liberals worship at the alter of Moloch.

> 1973: abortion permitted in the 1st and 2nd trimester.
> 2020: abortion permitted in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th trimester.

Not sure how liberals do not see that a life is being destroyed here. It's pretty clear that is what's happening here. But words and logic will not change a person's mind, only getting spiritual discernment will.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am

Humperdink wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
Conservatism: Abortion stops a beating heart.
Liberalism: Sells hearts (and other baby parts, for that matter).



In 1973, SCOTUS Justice Harry Blackmun wrote the majority opinion permitting abortion nationwide. The decision essentially said abortions were permitted in the first trimester, states could regulate abortions in the second trimester and abortions in the third trimester were a no-no. It was a compromise as Blackmun admitted in writing the justice(s) did not know when life began. (Hey, lets error on the side extermination.) Thus began the slippery slope.

The argument at the time was the baby (heretofore called a fetus) could not survive outside womb in the early weeks of the gestation period. Remember that? And it was just a collection of cells. That argument crumbled as medical advances enabled babies/fetus to be saved significantly earlier than 39 weeks. A feminist quipped: "yeah we know it's a baby, but we are not retreating". It's ironic the legal system charges a person with a double murder when a pregnant women is killed. And yet in the vernacular it is called a fetus, not a baby.

Fast forward to 2020, and we have Governor Ralph Northum, stating that a baby .... er .... fetus who survives an abortion will be set aside until a conversation is had as to whether to kill it. Still not a baby yet. Critical thinking skills? Not on this subject.

Some one mentioned the religious aspect of this. Yeah, there sure is. Try nominating a pro-life judge and watch the left become apoplectic. It is their religion. Conservative Christians worship living God ( Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart). Pro-abortion liberals worship at the alter of Moloch.

> 1973: abortion permitted in the 1st and 2nd trimester.
> 2020: abortion permitted in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th trimester.

Not sure how liberals do not see that a life is being destroyed here. It's pretty clear that is what's happening here. But words and logic will not change a person's mind, only getting spiritual discernment will.


Why did you only answer the fifth of my five challenges to you? I have to assume you don't know, or worse, you don't want to know, which I think is far more disappointing and likely the case.

It's such a shame that for an issue so heartbreaking and critically important to a free world, you've taken a black and white stance on something that isn't black and white, like most issues we wrestle with on a day to day basis. You're happy to make straw man arguments and tell anecdotal tales of woe because it doesn't affect you, but the world deals with the consequences of your ignorance on a daily basis. You should be flat out embarrassed of your answer; it's not one that I would expect from an educated conservative. If you held this opinion in 1980, I could understand that, maybe, but you've had more than enough time to read the current literature. Even if you remain pro-life for religious reasons, I would hope that you take some time to educate yourself because until then you're intentionally being embarrassingly ignorant of modern medicine. Logic doesn't mean stopping at the part of the story that makes you uncomfortable. The respectable thing to do would be to acknowledge that abortion should be legal (even if only for constitutional reasons), but that you don't agree with it for religious reasons. And keep in mind that no one, I repeat, no one, wants abortion.

On the topic of religion, I'll tread lightly and as objectively as possible. You need to acknowledge that yourself and a decreasing number of others have voluntarily chosen to believe in baseless ancient stories, and have adopted an arbitrary and antiquated system of morality that has been progressively relaxed to maintain relevance as the world increasingly realizes the profound error of its ways. Surely you've had discussions with your religious brethren about the proper way to "interpret" the... "uncivilized" portions of the bible; I'll just assume you know what I'm talking about. Forgive me for being skeptical of the critical thinking skills of a pro-life judge.

If you want to talk religion and logic, I'll happily participate, but you'll have to agree to denounce Christianity if your logic doesn't hold up. Lemme know.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:53 am

Read Isaiah 53, written 700 BC +/-, and see if it doesn't depict an actual event that occurred 700 years later.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:01 am

Humperdink wrote:Read Isaiah 53, written 700 BC +/-, and see if it doesn't depict an actual event that occurred 700 years later.


Thanks, I went to church; I'm familiar. Religions love their prophecies, that's the primary way of impressing the impressionable thousands of years ago, and today apparently. Islam has plenty of them that came to be, but you don't seem to be a Muslim for some reason. Why do you differentiate? Delphi was a very popular place to visit an oracle in ancient Greece for apparently good reason, but you don't worship Apollo, do you?

P.S. I predicted the Penguins would never win the cup with Michel Therrien, but I'm fairly sure you don't worship me...
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby interstorm on Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:49 pm

theblackarts wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Read Isaiah 53, written 700 BC +/-, and see if it doesn't depict an actual event that occurred 700 years later.


Thanks, I went to church; I'm familiar. Religions love their prophecies, that's the primary way of impressing the impressionable thousands of years ago, and today apparently. Islam has plenty of them that came to be, but you don't seem to be a Muslim for some reason. Why do you differentiate? Delphi was a very popular place to visit an oracle in ancient Greece for apparently good reason, but you don't worship Apollo, do you?

P.S. I predicted the Penguins would never win the cup with Michel Therrien, but I'm fairly sure you don't worship me...


This is priceless!
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,092
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Humperdink on Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Humperdink wrote:Read Isaiah 53, written 700 BC +/-, and see if it doesn't depict an actual event that occurred 700 years later.


This is what's priceless, as in, it has no cost.

You two gentlemen seem to have your eternal future all mapped out. I wish you well. Good day!
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,544
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


e-mail