Social Topic: Men & Cologne

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Social Topic: Men & Cologne

Postby Shyster on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:34 pm

rasbatch wrote:Old Spice BABY! nothing pulls in the 20-somethings with daddy issues like a splash of the spice.

I used to wear Old Spice, but then the company decided it wanted to be young, hip, and cool and have cool new products, so I stopped using it. That’s the opposite of what I was looking for. Also, when they switched to selling Old Spice in cheap plastic bottles they also reformulated it, and it doesn’t smell the same.

I switched to Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz, which was introduced in 1959 and still mostly has that “old man” association. Tabac is roughly the German equivalent of Old Spice (similar usage and longevity), but without all of the new body sprays and wacky commercials. Tabac also makes some of the best shaving soap around (and the soap has the same scent), so there’s no clash between the scent of my soap and cologne. I use an atomizer to give one spritz in the center of my chest. Because that’s usually covered by an undershirt, dress shirt, and tie, someone would really have to be all up in my wheelhouse to smell it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Of course Shyster found a way to make soap sound sophisticated :lol:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Rylan wrote:Of course Shyster found a way to make soap sound sophisticated :lol:

Well, it is shaving soap, not regular bar soap, so it’s not like that’s what I use to wash my junk and stuff. I shave old-school with soap, a badger-hair shaving brush, and a double-edge safety razor.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I expected nothing less. :lol:

:thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Juice on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Shyster wrote:
Rylan wrote:Of course Shyster found a way to make soap sound sophisticated :lol:

Well, it is shaving soap, not regular bar soap, so it’s not like that’s what I use to wash my junk and stuff. I shave old-school with soap, a badger-hair shaving brush, and a double-edge safety razor.

we have discussed this previously but yeah i do the same thing... proraso cream and aftershave, edwin jagger de89 and badger hair brush
normally not a cologne guy, but i do wear it from time to time dealwithitidoit.gif
my wife likes ed hardy skulls and roses so i rock that whenever i'm trying to get it in... or sometimes after i throw down something fierce in the master bathroom :fist:
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:11 pm

When I taught computer science, we had undergrads from the US and grad students from all over the world. Usually they smelled neutral. Occasionally they would smell so disgusting that my eyes would literally water and I'd have to make excuses to get them out of my office as quickly as possible.

But one day, this guy comes in. He was middle-aged and from Pakistan. He smelled so incredible that it defies description. It was like fresh-cut wood, or sandalwood, or something. Definitely woodsy, but with a hint of spice somewhere in the mix. The smell lingered a while in my office, but not long enough.

To this day, whenever I think about body smells, I think about that guy. It is a great tragedy that I was not forward enough to ask him WTF he was wearing.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Not a big cologne guy but like to smell fresh and clean. So I use a body wash and a arrid extra every day.

If I am going out I might add in axe hair gel or a touch of a cleaner smelling (not perfume......I like clinique Happy cologne) in my hair.

The goal is to smell like I showered, not smell like I have 7 gold chains under my shirt.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Well, gold, being a noble metal, has no scent, as most noble metals do not. So the number of gold chains is irrelevant.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Juice wrote:
Shyster wrote:

we have discussed this previously but yeah i do the same thing... proraso cream and aftershave, edwin jagger de89 and badger hair brush

i think yinz for introducing me to this :thumb:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 pm

i prefer beaver hair to badger.

yep.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:13 pm

redwill wrote:But one day, this guy comes in. He was middle-aged and from Pakistan. He smelled so incredible that it defies description. It was like fresh-cut wood, or sandalwood, or something. Definitely woodsy, but with a hint of spice somewhere in the mix. The smell lingered a while in my office, but not long enough.

Sandalwood is a common scent for men's colognes. For example, George F. Trumper has a cologne that's just called "Sandalwood." The problem is that there are so many different ones that include the scent that you could probably sniff 50 of them and not run across exactly what he was wearing.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:19 pm

canaan wrote:i prefer beaver hair to badger.

yep.

Man, every time I see beaver hair, I like it so much I just want to wear it on my head like a hat.

Spoiler:

Because felt made from beaver fur is what top-quality fedoras are made out of.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Shyster wrote:Sandalwood is a common scent for men's colognes. For example, George F. Trumper has a cologne that's just called "Sandalwood." The problem is that there are so many different ones that include the scent that you could probably sniff 50 of them and not run across exactly what he was wearing.

I've been thinking about buying a bottle of this and applying one drop per day.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Just get some sandalwood incense.....it's very pleasant.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Shyster wrote:

yep.

Man, every time I see beaver hair, I like it so much I just want to wear it on my head like a hat.

Spoiler:

Not sure how I've missed this thread.... oh yeah, I'm a man and rub a tree and dirt on me before work rather than fancy flower scents and if that's not around, I just grab my woman and say go. Anyway, i met a trapper at the recent cow and coyote hunt who had beaver fur gloves hand made all the way down to pulling that rascal out of the little cage in his backyard. I've never experienced anything quite like it before, pretty much just sex for your hands all the time they are on or for your eyes if you just want to look at them. Also ate the bugger, not bad, but real oily. carry on.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Shyster wrote:

yep.

Spoiler:

Many cowboy hats too.

Yee-haw!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mango Salsa on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I wear no cologne. Ever. I am the same, shower with some dial body wash that is blue(i think the scent is "spring rain"), and deo. I think less of someone who wears cologne actually.

Same here. Occasionally a light shot of Axe body spray
It triggers something in my gf that makes her want to get me out of my clothes.
Used it once before work a couple years ago and a woman commented "damn, someone smells good!" Really!
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 pm

Living in the NY/NJ area, the fact that I wear no scent makes me smell better than 70% of the population - since you need a gas mask to walk near them.

Seriously dudes, it's supposed to be subtle. It not not supposed to arrive 30 minutes before you do.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 pm

The worst is when a fragrance like Paco Rabanne's "1 Million" comes to the States (which smells good in isolation) and every guy starts wearing it...if you've been to a club within the last year I guarantee half the guys there were wearing it.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:11 am

Um... Chanel Allure Homme Sport.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 am

If some of the people in my office are using the disgusting smelling cologne to hide what they normally smell like then wow...
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:24 am

The Snapshot wrote:Seriously dudes, it's supposed to be subtle.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 am

Guy I used to work with used massive amounts to cover up the booze smell.

He don't work here no more.

I worked for a Polo outlet when I got out of college and had a massive allergic reaction to whatever scent Ralph had out on the market at that time. Have not worn any since.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:30 am

I have a allergic reaction to whatever Ralph Lauren does.

Anyone read William Gibson's Pattern Recognition?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR