Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later edit: RESULTS IN!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am

There are outliers in every league where people can succeed without being in perfect shape.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,579
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:44 am

Troy Loney wrote:Tim Thomas, Marty Brodeur


Neither of them are fat.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 am

Idoit40fans wrote:There are outliers in every league where people can succeed without being in perfect shape.


I'm not disagreeing. I was just saying that maybe a reason why people have that misconception about Baseball is that someone who is less of an athlete is able to succeed in baseball. Football doesn't get those criticisms because the positions in which the big guys play are made for them. You don't have Casey Hampton running a button hook, playing wide out.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There are outliers in every league where people can succeed without being in perfect shape.


I'm not disagreeing. I was just saying that maybe a reason why people have that misconception about Baseball is that someone who is less of an athlete is able to succeed in baseball. Football doesn't get those criticisms because the positions in which the big guys play are made for them. You don't have Casey Hampton running a button hook, playing wide out.



You don't have Prince Fielder chasing down fly balls in center field.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,924
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:50 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There are outliers in every league where people can succeed without being in perfect shape.


I'm not disagreeing. I was just saying that maybe a reason why people have that misconception about Baseball is that someone who is less of an athlete is able to succeed in baseball. Football doesn't get those criticisms because the positions in which the big guys play are made for them. You don't have Casey Hampton running a button hook, playing wide out.



You don't have Prince Fielder chasing down fly balls in center field.


Yea but the majority of first baseman are in shape.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:51 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There are outliers in every league where people can succeed without being in perfect shape.


I'm not disagreeing. I was just saying that maybe a reason why people have that misconception about Baseball is that someone who is less of an athlete is able to succeed in baseball. Football doesn't get those criticisms because the positions in which the big guys play are made for them. You don't have Casey Hampton running a button hook, playing wide out.


How is that any different than someone playing first or third base, or pitching? Its nto a coincidence that power hitters are bigger, they have more mass to put behind their swing. Not everyone is perfectly efficient with their swing like Griffey Jr(who wasn't small either) was.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,579
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:52 am

I'm not disagreeing with you. I was just saying why baseball probably has the perception that it does.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 am

Ignorance? That was my original point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,579
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 am

Again, I know your point. I was just playing devils advocate.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There are outliers in every league where people can succeed without being in perfect shape.


I'm not disagreeing. I was just saying that maybe a reason why people have that misconception about Baseball is that someone who is less of an athlete is able to succeed in baseball. Football doesn't get those criticisms because the positions in which the big guys play are made for them. You don't have Casey Hampton running a button hook, playing wide out.



You don't have Prince Fielder chasing down fly balls in center field.


Yea but the majority of first baseman are in shape.


And then there was John Kruk...
"I ain't an athlete, lady, I'm a ballplayer."
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,549
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 am

blackjack68 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There are outliers in every league where people can succeed without being in perfect shape.


I'm not disagreeing. I was just saying that maybe a reason why people have that misconception about Baseball is that someone who is less of an athlete is able to succeed in baseball. Football doesn't get those criticisms because the positions in which the big guys play are made for them. You don't have Casey Hampton running a button hook, playing wide out.



You don't have Prince Fielder chasing down fly balls in center field.


Yea but the majority of first baseman are in shape.


And then there was John Kruk


Can we get another example, from this millennium? :lol:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 am

I was more remarking on his quote.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,549
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 am

Babe Ruth?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,321
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 am

blackjack68 wrote:I was more remarking on his quote.


Yea, I quoted before you edited. My bad.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:00 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Babe Ruth?


http://instantostrich.com/
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:10 pm

its a myth that babe ruth was always fat
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,115
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:03 pm

I am assuming when the original poster said athletes he didn't intend for it to me taken so literally. Maybe top 5 Pittsburgh Sports Players would have lead to less wide ranging debate. You could put Usain Bolt on any of the Pittsburgh teams and he'd be terrible at each of the sports but still be the best "athlete".
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Exactly. Its hilarious to me that people discount baseball players as Athletes when the skills they have are the most precise. They can do things the other guys can never do.

1) With very few exceptions, if you can't do it in the rain it's not a sport.

2) These 'elite athletes' miss games due to injuries received from Guitar Hero, sneezing, cowboy boots, microwave donuts, and chili juice.

3) The managers wear player uniforms (that's more of a general gripe).

4) There's no time limit... which isn't a problem for the players, because the activities expected of them are not exactly demanding in a physical sense. The biggest challenge appears to be remaining awake for the duration of the game. But given the over 2 1/2 hour elapsed time of the average game, there's plenty of napping opportunities.

I'm sure there are ball players who also happen to be exceptional athletes. But athleticism is not a prerequisite for being a good ball player. I see no value in measuring someone's athletic prowess based on how well they could do other things than the game they play professionally.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,962
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:49 pm

tifosi77 wrote:1) With very few exceptions, if you can't do it in the rain it's not a sport.


Never really understood the stigma attached to the no rain thing. Throwing a baseball in the rain is dangerous. Like, kill people dangerous.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,115
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:49 pm

It's the most precise game, guys sit out with minor injuries for good reason. A slight injury hinders your ability to be effective, the players sit out because they hurt their team by "toughing it out".

It's fine to dislike baseball, but you sound foolish when you demean the craft.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,924
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Athleticism is unquestionably a prerequisite fore even making a high school baseball team. If you want to argue that you don't have to have a high level endurance to do it, go for it.

Soccer and Tennis at a minimum get rescheduled for rain.

This is the only way i'll address the time limit concern.

Players sit out with minor injuries because they don't get to rest. I'd argue that its a joke that someone can play a sport with a dislocated shoulder. So you're saying that you don't use your arm? Thats a real sport. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,579
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby since1970 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm

throwing a baseball 95mph, fielding, and hitting .300 requires no athletic ability, huh? I missed out on making millions when I was younger cause silly me thought it did.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:02 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:1) With very few exceptions, if you can't do it in the rain it's not a sport.


Never really understood the stigma attached to the no rain thing. Throwing a baseball in the rain is dangerous. Like, kill people dangerous.

Boo frickety hoo.

Troy Loney wrote:It's fine to dislike baseball, but you sound foolish when you demean the craft.

That's precisely my point... it's more craft than sport.

Idoit40fans wrote:If you want to argue that you don't have to have a high level endurance to do it, go for it.

Enduring

Idoit40fans wrote:Soccer and Tennis at a minimum get rescheduled for rain.

Not as a default.
Image
Not interested in defending tennis.... but I do think it's a more athletic pursuit than baseball.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,962
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:06 pm

My point is that your argument is 1 degree of passive aggression from being trolling. I'm going to handle it the same way I handle a troll.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,579
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby skullman80 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah saying baseball players aren't athletes has zero basis in reality. It's not even worth arguing to be honest.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,757
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rocco, skullman80, Staggy, the wicked child and 5 guests


e-mail