150th Anniversary of Gettysburg and Vicksburg

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

150th Anniversary of Gettysburg and Vicksburg

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 am

Lee's surrender at Gettysburg, combined with the end of the Siege of Vicksburg in a decisive Union victory, marked the turning point of the War Between the States. Haven't seen too much coverage of the anniversary in the media, but there are huge reenactments going on at both battlefields this week. Just some random stuff:

Joshua Chamberlain, one of my favorite Civil War vets. Had no previous military experience (was a college professor), volunteered at the start of the war and became one of the most respected military commanders in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Chamberlain

1938 Gettysburg reunion, 75 years after the battle:

Spoiler:

Brief clip on the Siege of Vicksburg:

Spoiler:

For those of you that have never been to Gettysburg, I cannot recommend it more. The new visitor center is awesome, and the battlefield is humbling in much the same way a visit to Normandy or one of the WWII military cemetaries is.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg and Vicksburg

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 am

One of my grandfathers fought in the battle along side one of my wife's grandfathers.

/csb
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 60sixx on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 am

I'm trying to plan a long weekend this summer--have never been there before and always wanted to go.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:05 am

The PG here has been having articles the past few days leading up to the anniversery. I love reading/watching this stuff as well.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I was hoping I could make it to Gettysburg for the anniversary this summer but it isn't going to work out. I'm really into Civil War History but I haven't been to Gettysburg since I was in Junior High School. I've been there 3 times total and would love to go again.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:One of my grandfathers fought in the battle along side one of my wife's grandfathers.

/csb

How is that possible? Are you 100 years old?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Gaucho wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:One of my grandfathers fought in the battle along side one of my wife's grandfathers.

/csb

Now you got me thinking. Let's assume both of their parents had them in their late 50s (possible). That takes us back to 1930 or so. Say their grandparent's had their parents at about the same age? That takes us back to 1870. Survey says, IT'S CERTAINLY POSSIBLE.

Actually, nevermind, it's not possible. Great grandparents, yes.

1979 - PFIDC (Mrs. PFIDC as well) born

1925 - PFIDC's parents born

1870 - Grandparents born?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:29 pm

At the outer banks this week - so missing Gettysburg, but did get to witness the 150s of both 1st & 2nd Manassas. Quite a sight.

Oh, Shad, Lee didn't surrender. The battle was a tactical draw (each Army occupied its initial ground), yet due the withdrawal, and the manpower loss of the Pickett's Charge, often considered the Strategic victory of the war. Vicksburg may have been more important than Gettysburg. The critical goof of the Confederates was on Day 1 when Ewell failed to take the high ground at the Round Tops. Probably changed the outcome. Otherwise the battle as a preview of WWI, with marked lines being very difficult to pierce, and very deadly to cross the open field.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 pm

My apologies Rel, "surrender" was the incorrect word, obviously he didn't truly surrender until 1865.

I agree that Vicksburg was likely more important in the grand scheme of things, but Gettysburg was more symbolic due to its northern location.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

So is it true that Gettysburg was the last war to feature Roman (formation) techniques?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:28 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

/csb

Now you got me thinking. Let's assume both of their parents had them in their late 50s (possible). That takes us back to 1930 or so. Say their grandparent's had their parents at about the same age? That takes us back to 1870. Survey says, IT'S CERTAINLY POSSIBLE.

Yeah...I was avoiding an unknown number of "Greats" that would go on the beginning. My brother has been really into genealogy recently and apparently "grandparent" can be used as a generic term for anyone 2 generations or more before you. I wasn't being literal....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm

lol, I figured you meant another generation or two, but then I started thinking about it.

With stories like this, anything is possible:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/01/president-tyler-grandson-alive.html
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:35 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

/csb

Yeah...I was avoiding an unknown number of "Greats" that would go on the beginning. My brother has been really into genealogy recently and apparently "grandparent" can be used as a generic term for anyone 2 generations or more before you. I wasn't being literal....

Oh, ok. Never mind then. :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:lol, I figured you meant another generation or two, but then I started thinking about it.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/01/president-tyler-grandson-alive.html

Wow, that is crazy.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Do yourselves a favor and read The Killer Angels this week.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Do yourselves a favor and read The Killer Angels this week.

Shaara FTW

shafnutz05 wrote:lol, I figured you meant another generation or two, but then I started thinking about it.

Now that's a great story. Not unbelievable as 2nd marriages were common. Even more when a widower needed help at home with children. That much age difference between father in child is unusual though.

PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah...I was avoiding an unknown number of "Greats" that would go on the beginning. My brother has been really into genealogy recently and apparently "grandparent" can be used as a generic term for anyone 2 generations or more before you. I wasn't being literal....

I've never heard it used as a generic term - not like cousin at least. Where cousin is used for the generic as well as the specific (first cousin, second cousin, etc), grandparent is almost exclusively for the parents of the parents. I.e. paternal and maternal grandparents. Beyond that, it's great-grandparents (8), great-great-grandparents (16), and beyond that you see 3rd great-grandparents (32), 4th great-grandparents (64), 5th great-grandparents (128), etc. used to shorten the space used. The cousin # matches up with 1st cousin:grandparents, 2nd:great, 3rd:great-great, 4th:3rd great, 5th:4th great, etc., for those in the same generation. For different ones, it's back to the last common generation and counting down the number of generations to the newest (generationally) person for the number of times removed. An example, my great-grandfather was a 5th cousin to Richard Nixon, i.e. they share a set of 4th great grandparents, hence that makes me a 5th cousin, 3 times removed.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR