NFL

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NFL

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Dustin Keller out for season after tearing his ACL, MCL, PCL and dislocating his knee. Doctors fear nerve damage as well, which if true would be the end of his career.

Okay, I never played football competitively, so I'll get that out in the open straight away. And I know the rook who hit him says he went low because players are afraid of a fine for hitting high.... but is it me or is that type of hit something you know going in is a cheap shot? It's square on the plant leg on a receiver who's gotten twisted around making a play on the ball, and the I-was-afraid-of-a-fine thing smacks of an excuse. I mean, I don't disagree with him - that you're going to see more leg injuries because of the concussion phobia in the League now - but he's a rook. He doesn't have the..... history.... of someone like a James Harrison.

I dunno, when I watched the play I immediately thought it was a cheap shot.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,571
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Player did exactly what everyone knew people were going to do. They're not going to risk hitting someone in the head, so they're going to aim for the lower range of the proper area to hit someone so that if they miss, they hit legs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,022
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: NFL

Postby skullman80 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Player did exactly what everyone knew people were going to do. They're not going to risk hitting someone in the head, so they're going to aim for the lower range of the proper area to hit someone so that if they miss, they hit legs.


Yep. Can't fault the player here. You hit people up high you are gonna get fined, so everyone is gonna go low now. Thats how the rules are written.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,606
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: NFL

Postby viva la ben on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Jonathan Baldwin traded to the 49ers for some WR named Jenkins
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,881
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: NFL

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Player did exactly what everyone knew people were going to do. They're not going to risk hitting someone in the head, so they're going to aim for the lower range of the proper area to hit someone so that if they miss, they hit legs.


Precisely. Blame the NFL. I'd be very curious to see if there has been any kind of increase in knee injuries over the last 5-6 years.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,464
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: NFL

Postby JS© on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:29 pm

viva la ben wrote:Jonathan Baldwin traded to the 49ers for some WR named Jenkins


Image
:?: 8-)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,970
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: NFL

Postby viva la ben on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Image
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,881
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: NFL

Postby JS© on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:52 pm

still a better effort than Limas Sweed.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,970
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: NFL

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

I like Jonathan Baldwin's upside...I don't know if he's mentally all there to reach it, but he's got some upside. Never heard of the guy he was traded for. I've had Baldwin in my one keeper league since he was a rookie, I was a fan of his at Pitt.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,660
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: NFL

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:02 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Dustin Keller out for season after tearing his ACL, MCL, PCL and dislocating his knee. Doctors fear nerve damage as well, which if true would be the end of his career.

Okay, I never played football competitively, so I'll get that out in the open straight away. And I know the rook who hit him says he went low because players are afraid of a fine for hitting high.... but is it me or is that type of hit something you know going in is a cheap shot? It's square on the plant leg on a receiver who's gotten twisted around making a play on the ball, and the I-was-afraid-of-a-fine thing smacks of an excuse. I mean, I don't disagree with him - that you're going to see more leg injuries because of the concussion phobia in the League now - but he's a rook. He doesn't have the..... history.... of someone like a James Harrison.

I dunno, when I watched the play I immediately thought it was a cheap shot.

This player being a rookie actually makes it more acceptable. He's been trained this way since early college days. Look for this to become the norm because players are adjusting at an earlier point in their career, not to hit high.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,260
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: NFL

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 pm

JS© wrote:still a better effort than Limas Sweed.


:evil:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,397
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: NFL

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm

As always, these are great reads:

http://deadspin.com/tag/why-your-team-sucks-2013

Especially the reader emails.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,363
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: NFL

Postby canaan on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 pm

meecrofilm wrote:As always, these are great reads:

http://deadspin.com/tag/why-your-team-sucks-2013

Especially the reader emails.

ive never read these before, but im halfway through the quarterback section and im absolutely loving it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,466
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: NFL

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Yeah, I use them almost exclusively as my team previews for the upcoming season.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,363
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: NFL

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Yeah, I use them almost exclusively as my team previews for the upcoming season.


Ditto.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,464
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:26 pm

That was pretty accurate. I liked it. I wish the Cowboys one was up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,022
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: NFL

Postby Fast B on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Too bad the emails they include are on par with Youtube comments.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,842
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: NFL

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:07 pm

If you've been to Baltimore proper, you know that it's a third-world deathscape, dotted with hobos selling copper scrap and crazy-eyed meth zombies staring at you from atop abandoned railcars. I'm shocked that the Elysium space station can't be seen hovering over it.


:lol:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,690
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: NFL

Postby Froggy on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
If you've been to Baltimore proper, you know that it's a third-world deathscape, dotted with hobos selling copper scrap and crazy-eyed meth zombies staring at you from atop abandoned railcars. I'm shocked that the Elysium space station can't be seen hovering over it.


:lol:


hahaha... the copper scrap thing is one of those oddly specific things that totally happens. We had to have an extra security detail in the building i used to work at when our parking garage was under construction, because every piece of metal that wasn't welded or bolted to something would go missing at night.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,506
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: NFL

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Dustin Keller out for season after tearing his ACL, MCL, PCL and dislocating his knee. Doctors fear nerve damage as well, which if true would be the end of his career.

Okay, I never played football competitively, so I'll get that out in the open straight away. And I know the rook who hit him says he went low because players are afraid of a fine for hitting high.... but is it me or is that type of hit something you know going in is a cheap shot? It's square on the plant leg on a receiver who's gotten twisted around making a play on the ball, and the I-was-afraid-of-a-fine thing smacks of an excuse. I mean, I don't disagree with him - that you're going to see more leg injuries because of the concussion phobia in the League now - but he's a rook. He doesn't have the..... history.... of someone like a James Harrison.

I dunno, when I watched the play I immediately thought it was a cheap shot.


Players have said plainly that they consider knee injuries to be far more detremental to the game than head injuries. The NFL does almost nothing to protect a players lower body.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,203
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: NFL

Postby JS© on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 pm

canaan wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:As always, these are great reads:

http://deadspin.com/tag/why-your-team-sucks-2013

Especially the reader emails.

ive never read these before, but im halfway through the quarterback section and im absolutely loving it.


The Steelers one was spot-on last year. This year's batch of comments seemed like the equivalent of a bunch of 13 year old kids on Call Of Duty.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,970
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 am

Aside from some of the shots at Ben, I thought it was spot-on this year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,022
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: NFL

Postby skullman80 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Aside from some of the shots at Ben, I thought it was spot-on this year.


Yeah ditto.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,606
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: NFL

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 am

I can't stand hearing about RG3 anymore. This must be what the rest of the NHL feels like about Crosby.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,204
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I can't stand hearing about RG3 anymore. This must be what the rest of the NHL feels like about Crosby.


I don't think the Redskins fans are sick about hearing about RG3 at this point, so its not the same as Crosby.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,022
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dickie Dunn, DudeMan2766, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, pfim and 5 guests

e-mail