Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Two questions for homeowners

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm

sounds like something that would be easily discovered in the inspection process
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,728
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:22 pm

44windmill wrote:Anybody ever deal with low water pressure in their house? We're considering putting an offer on a house, but our biggest drawback is the low water pressure. House isn't on a hill, uses public water, etc. It could be sediment build-up, as all the bathroom fixtures show deposit stains. But the toilets also take a very long time to refill, so I don't think that's the main problem.

My guesses are:
1. Bad pressure regulator
2. half-closed main shut-off valve
3. sediment
4. possible main-line leakage from street to house
5. township regulates the pressure to below-normal levels

#4 is what scares me most. All the others can be fixed cheaply.


Or undersized (1/2") supply line(s)
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: In the Ballrooms of Mars

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby 44windmill on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:11 pm

mac5155 wrote:sounds like something that would be easily discovered in the inspection process

Our realtor said they wouldn't detect the line from the main to the house. Need to hire a plumber for that.
44windmill
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:48 pm
Location: ron hextall's wheelhouse

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:13 pm

44windmill wrote:Anybody ever deal with low water pressure in their house? We're considering putting an offer on a house, but our biggest drawback is the low water pressure. House isn't on a hill, uses public water, etc. It could be sediment build-up, as all the bathroom fixtures show deposit stains. But the toilets also take a very long time to refill, so I don't think that's the main problem.

My guesses are:
1. Bad pressure regulator
2. half-closed main shut-off valve
3. sediment
4. possible main-line leakage from street to house
5. township regulates the pressure to below-normal levels

#4 is what scares me most. All the others can be fixed cheaply.


Do public water homes have water filtration systems? I know with our home, we were having water pressure issues. It was pretty much entirely chalked up to the fact that the filters in the filtration system needed replaced....also upped the PSI on the well pump up to around 45 PSI. Probably not relatable though.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:16 pm

I lucked out and found a POS piece of property in a northern-eastern area of Pittsburgh.

The property was $18k, I paid it in full; have lived there for 2 years, and am in the process of flipping for a mid-level return to get me the hell out of Pittsburgh.

Though I don't have a mortgage I felt like I could answer these questions:

1.) At the time, $18k seemed like chunk change in the grand scheme of things. And while I had a cushion, seeing my bank account deplete drastically was a like "Well you better know what you're doing with this thing..."

2.) It is SO nice not to have to pay ~$600 to some non-descript, faceless company every month. While the responsibilities have increased I often found myself sitting around in my previous apartments/homes, bored almost. Hell at one point I was so bored I made up a story that my apartment was freaking haunted, and trolled around LGP for the better part of a year.

With a house it's different. I'm constantly doing things, enjoying 3 stories, multiple rooms, etc. I guess that's more of an "apartment" vs. "house" thing, but it's the best way I can relate being a relatively new home owner.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,118
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:19 pm

DocEmrick wrote:I lucked out and found a POS piece of property in a northern-eastern area of Pittsburgh.

The property was $18k, I paid it in full; have lived there for 2 years, and am in the process of flipping for a mid-level return to get me the hell out of Pittsburgh.

Though I don't have a mortgage I felt like I could answer these questions:

1.) At the time, $18k seemed like chunk change in the grand scheme of things. And while I had a cushion, seeing my bank account deplete drastically was a like "Well you better know what you're doing with this thing..."

2.) It is SO nice not to have to pay ~$600 to some non-descript, faceless company every month. While the responsibilities have increased I often found myself sitting around in my previous apartments/homes, bored almost. Hell at one point I was so bored I made up a story that my apartment was freaking haunted, and trolled around LGP for the better part of a year.

With a house it's different. I'm constantly doing things, enjoying 3 stories, multiple rooms, etc. I guess that's more of an "apartment" vs. "house" thing, but it's the best way I can relate being a relatively new home owner.


Just checked it out on Google Street View...nice place :thumb:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:22 pm

44windmill wrote:Anybody ever deal with low water pressure in their house? We're considering putting an offer on a house, but our biggest drawback is the low water pressure. House isn't on a hill, uses public water, etc. It could be sediment build-up, as all the bathroom fixtures show deposit stains. But the toilets also take a very long time to refill, so I don't think that's the main problem.

My guesses are:
1. Bad pressure regulator
2. half-closed main shut-off valve
3. sediment
4. possible main-line leakage from street to house
5. township regulates the pressure to below-normal levels

#4 is what scares me most. All the others can be fixed cheaply.


My house is in a very, VERY similar situation. Wouldn't be surprised if we're from the same area.

I have invested in completely re-doing the plumbing in my home. The first winter, my pipes froze 5 times due to the construction of the home; even with water trickling. The pipes were so close to the wall; some of the copper would freeze; the water would keep pumping, then the copper stripping would just gunk it up. I had a professional company out here to look at it, realizing I couldn't do it without bursting the damn pipe.

Water pressure in my area is HORRIBLE, and it is well known that the township I live in is responsible. There's nothing I've found that I can do about that. The best thing I can do to hope for a profit on my home is make it as nice as possible inside. I've upgraded several components in the bathroom including a sediment flush, reworking of the drainage system, etc. No matter what I've had done nothing has really improved regarding your questions; so that's really on the city/township.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,118
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:24 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:I lucked out and found a POS piece of property in a northern-eastern area of Pittsburgh.

The property was $18k, I paid it in full; have lived there for 2 years, and am in the process of flipping for a mid-level return to get me the hell out of Pittsburgh.

Though I don't have a mortgage I felt like I could answer these questions:

1.) At the time, $18k seemed like chunk change in the grand scheme of things. And while I had a cushion, seeing my bank account deplete drastically was a like "Well you better know what you're doing with this thing..."

2.) It is SO nice not to have to pay ~$600 to some non-descript, faceless company every month. While the responsibilities have increased I often found myself sitting around in my previous apartments/homes, bored almost. Hell at one point I was so bored I made up a story that my apartment was freaking haunted, and trolled around LGP for the better part of a year.

With a house it's different. I'm constantly doing things, enjoying 3 stories, multiple rooms, etc. I guess that's more of an "apartment" vs. "house" thing, but it's the best way I can relate being a relatively new home owner.


Just checked it out on Google Street View...nice place :thumb:


Hey thanks shad!

You're more than welcome to stop over any time you need to, you know, hunt down some domestic rabble rousers! I have scotch.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,118
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Previous

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


e-mail