Stock Market

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stock Market

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm

on another note, while kenny the kangaroo is on the tangent of the price of stocks, the most idiotic stock in the universe has to be odyssey marine exploration (OMEX). why anyone would invest in such a steaming pile of feces is beyond this gentleman's brian capacity. if kenny the kangaroo had the capacity to short a stock, omex would be it.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I sold out of CU at 8% gain today. . Happy with that but it took a long time and I wish I could find something to grow faster but I guess that'd be more risky on my behalf.

30% cash right now hoping for pullback
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:I sold out of CU at 8% gain today. . Happy with that but it took a long time and I wish I could find something to grow faster but I guess that'd be more risky on my behalf.

30% cash right now hoping for pullback

I think your timing was PERFECT.

The next couple of days will tell the story. But I think we get a pullback in the overall market (especially in mining and metals) over the next week or so.

Congrats!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Fed Undertakes QE3 With $40 Billion in MBS Purchases a Month
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-1 ... month.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 pm

columbia wrote:Fed Undertakes QE3 With $40 Billion in MBS Purchases a Month

How high will an oz. of silver go?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 pm

I suppose Bernanke does not care if something will be viewed as political or not. I think one of the links here said no policy change has been made after labor day in an election year....until now.

The Fed announced a new round of bond purchases targeting the mortgage market, saying it would purchase $85 billion in bonds per month through the rest of the year, and then $40 billion per month until the economy doesn’t need the support anymore.

In addition, the Fed announced that it is extending its plan to keep interest rates ultra-low into mid-2015, roughly a half-year longer than it previously planned. In a surprising additional move, the Fed used stark language in its policymaking statement to make clear it would continue to support the economy “for a considerable time after the economic recovery strengthens."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 pm

columbia wrote:Fed Undertakes QE3 With $40 Billion in MBS Purchases a Month

Yep... I'm absolutely amazed that they did this.

The first post Labor Day move made in an election year ever for the Fed.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 pm

How much lower can mortgage rates get? When it went below 5% it was "record lows" - now it has been around 3.5%. I wonder what they will get to now.

Time to refinance?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:23 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 pm

How to capitalize on these low rates.. REIT?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 pm

columbia wrote:Image

Well if you put it that way...

YEAH! More balloons! Who doesn't like balloons? wooo!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:31 pm

how nice of ben to keep the bond bubble from bursting until 2015.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:33 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:how nice of ben to keep the bond bubble from bursting until 2015.

The size of this bubble is ENORMOUS.

I'm still shaking my head...

(Gold and the Homebuilder Stocks are going wild...)

Edit: NVR the parent company of Ryan homes, is up almost $20 just today
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Any advice on 401K placement? Obviously things are going to go up again for a while, but where should I put it to avoid the bubble burst?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:44 pm

the hidden vigorish is that kenny the kangaroo has a few extra years to buy a house w/o worrying about the interest rates.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tomas on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Obama 2012 victory (percentage) prices on Intrade, right after QE3 announcement:

Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Any advice on 401K placement? Obviously things are going to go up again for a while, but where should I put it to avoid the bubble burst?

I have an aggressive-growth stock fund through USAA, that is up 12.86% over the last year. Description:

The fund's investment objective is capital appreciation. The fund invests principally in common stocks of large companies that are selected for their growth potential. Although the fund will invest primarily in U.S. securities, it may invest up to 20% of its total assets in foreign securities including securities issues in emerging markets.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:55 pm

columbia wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Any advice on 401K placement? Obviously things are going to go up again for a while, but where should I put it to avoid the bubble burst?

I have an aggressive-growth stock fund through USAA, that is up 12.86% over the last year. Description:

The fund's investment objective is capital appreciation. The fund invests principally in common stocks of large companies that are selected for their growth potential. Although the fund will invest primarily in U.S. securities, it may invest up to 20% of its total assets in foreign securities including securities issues in emerging markets.

Too risky.

My portfolio is up 12% this year and i've been conservative putting ~35% in bonds. I'm wondering if moving money into large cap is the best way to generate in income and acquire income producing securities.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 pm

EPP or anyone else

do you know anything about/have any opinions on the ETFs that hold bonds to maturity?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:03 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:the hidden vigorish is that kenny the kangaroo has a few extra years to buy a house w/o worrying about the interest rates.

I was just thinking this to myself as well. Looks like rates will remain low for at least 2 more years.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Troy Loney believes that the bloated returns he's gotten the last two years are making the portfolio vulnerable. Troy Loney is considering to wait until after the election to move his money out of funds that are vulnerable to losses. Troy Loney saw a lot of people have to postpone retirement since the 08 recession because their portfolio dropped by huge percentages.

It can drop a lot faster than it can grow.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tomas on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:09 pm

You are still quite young, right (that is, you still have ~30-year investment horizon)? I am too lazy to look it up, but I posted several times on LGP the analysis of investment results since 1920s until now. It shows that the worst (large cap) 30-year cumulative return was better than the best 30-year bond return.

Incidentally, the same holds to 30-year periodic investments (i.e. investment of $1 annually for the 30 year-period)

Consequently, I am quite a big proponent of long-term buy-and-hold of low-cost stock funds. My personal portfolio is simply five stock Fidelity Spartans (the lowest fund fees Fidelity offers): S&P 500, Extended Market (everything beyond SP500), a tiny bit of extra Low-Cap (to slightly raise beta), International Developed and International Emerging (with the weights ~65 US, 35 International - since I expect to retire in the US, though higher weight for International would probably be more rational). Plus a very small fraction goes to TIAA-CREF Real Estate Annuity (actual holdings of buildings, malls, etc.), because it's quite a fascinating security. Google it and you'll see why. :)

I don't think I'll consider moving to bonds until I am well into my 50s (though I may chicken out :) )
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Too risky.

I started far later than I should have, so I'm taking on a known risk.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Tomas wrote:

You are still quite young, right (that is, you still have ~30-year investment horizon)? I am too lazy to look it up, but I posted several times on LGP the analysis of investment results since 1920s until now. It shows that the worst (large cap) 30-year cumulative return was better than the best 30-year bond return.

Incidentally, the same holds to 30-year periodic investments (i.e. investment of $1 annually for the 30 year-period)

Consequently, I am quite a big proponent of long-term buy-and-hold of low-cost stock funds. My personal portfolio is simply five stock Fidelity Spartans (the lowest fund fees Fidelity offers): S&P 500, Extended Market (everything beyond SP500), a tiny bit of extra Low-Cap (to slightly raise beta), International Developed and International Emerging (with the weights ~65 US, 35 International - since I expect to retire in the US, though higher weight for International would probably be more rational). Plus a very small fraction goes to TIAA-CREF Real Estate Annuity (actual holdings of buildings, malls, etc.), because it's quite a fascinating security. Google it and you'll see why. :)

I don't think I'll consider moving to bonds until I am well into my 50s (though I may chicken out :) )

Thank you Tomas, I appreciate this insight.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:08 pm

Sad panda. CU up another 3% today.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR