Keurig K Cups

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Keurig K Cups

Postby Factorial on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:55 pm

I feel compelled to post this link again for those who missed it the first time:

For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods. But that Nespresso capsule contains 5 grams of coffee, so it costs about $51 a pound. And the Folgers, with 8 grams per capsule, works out to more than $50 a pound.

That’s even more expensive than all but the priciest coffees sold by artisanal roasters, the stuff of coffee snobs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dinin ... =business&
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 am

After scooping up all of the K Cups I could from the Comfort Inn in Huntingdon this weekend (note: I took them from our block of rooms, not the lobby), I really want to start using them.

How are these if anyone has tried them? Seems like a great deal

http://www.amazon.com/San-Francisco-Bay ... rds=k+cups
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 am

i had never tried those because they looked different from a regular k-cup, so I didn't take the risk, lol.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:46 am

Factorial wrote:I feel compelled to post this link again for those who missed it the first time:

For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods. But that Nespresso capsule contains 5 grams of coffee, so it costs about $51 a pound. And the Folgers, with 8 grams per capsule, works out to more than $50 a pound.

That’s even more expensive than all but the priciest coffees sold by artisanal roasters, the stuff of coffee snobs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dinin ... =business&

Considerably less than Starbucks, actually. According to them, 1 lb. of coffee makes 320 oz. of coffee. That means that, if you drive a venti coffee every day, you are paying ~$35/lb.

I am one of those snobs that goes to a specialty shop weekly to make my purchase, but some people have the wrong idea about the costs. I make espresso everyday at home, ~6 1.5 oz. shots. I have a reasonably priced machine (got it used, $300, probably $600 new), a fairly expensive grinder, and buy $8-10 of coffee a week. Been doing this for ~2 years, so I probably have spent ~$1500 on coffee over that period. At the same price above... its about half a year of k-cups. Folgers k-cups no less... :thumbdown:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 am

I buy my coffee online and pop it in my Cafe Cup, which I bought at Rite-Aid,then right into the Keurig, they're the ones you see on TV, and they work great. You get 4 and I use 2 to make one 16oz cup. Screw those prepackaged K-CUP things. I paid $10 for the Cafe Cup, and whatever my coffee costs.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 pm

yeah that's what I've always done (reusable filter). I think I am just getting lazy and tired of cleaning it every time I want a cup.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Anyone try the Snapple iced tea k cups yet?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 pm

I refuse to put any sugar stuff into my Keurig bc I've seen it mess them up where the sugar remnants crystallize and clog things.

Shad... Report back if those things work and are good bc that's the cheapest I've seen including SAMs club generic brand
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:05 am

bhaw wrote:I refuse to put any sugar stuff into my Keurig bc I've seen it mess them up where the sugar remnants crystallize and clog things.

Shad... Report back if those things work and are good bc that's the cheapest I've seen including SAMs club generic brand

If any sugar things goes through, I make a point to run it again afterwards with nothing in it so the hot water cleans it out.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:10 am

bhaw wrote:I refuse to put any sugar stuff into my Keurig bc I've seen it mess them up where the sugar remnants crystallize and clog things.

I've had a couple cups already. I think it's a pretty solid coffee.

I'm typically used to milder coffees (a la Dunkin Donuts), while the Fog Chaser is certainly more of a darker, richer roast than I usually have. It is taking me some time to get used to the bolder flavor, but I definitely like it. I'd say it has the same type of taste as a Starbucks-style coffee, albeit a little less burnt-tasting and a bit more smooth.

Regarding the different style of K-Cup (with the filter below), no issues so far. There is a very minor residue on the inside of the cup as I drink, but no grinds or anything like that.

At approximately $0.374/cup, can't go wrong.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:33 am

Just ordered a box. they better be good shadrick.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:50 am

good call on the fogchasers shad. They're very good.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:21 am

Waste: The Dark Side of the New Coffee Craze

http://m.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/was ... id=3687220
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ad@m on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Im down...that and the pumpkin spice coffees.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:58 am

Buying coffee will soon be just as annoying as buying printer ink as Keurig wants to put a stop to cheap K Cups:

Much like your inkjet printer, refills are the real money-maker of the Keurig platform. So to ensure consumers stick with its own K-Cups moving forward, Green Mountain is implementing the physical equivalent of a DRM system with Keurig 2.0 — which will start appearing on store shelves this year. Aside from offering a larger 28-ounce serving size, Keurig's next line of brewers will contain "interactive technology" designed to lock out unlicensed K-Cups. On a recent earnings call, CEO Brian Kelley insisted the change is primarily meant to "ensure the system delivers on the promise of excellent quality beverages produced simply and consistently every time."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/3/546557 ... ap-refills
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 am

I'll stick with the open source methods of brewing coffee.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:22 am

Anyone else have constant problems after about a year where the brewer runs slow? I brew 3-5 cups a day and adhere to the maintenance schedule but have had 4 brewers now fail. Keurig will send an entire new unit, all you send back is the cup holder you can get for $5 off eBay. Sounds like they know these will eventually fail.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:40 am

Still think this is one if the dumbest things a person can do. Just light money on fire.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:21 pm

I use the reusable filter and my own coffee. In theory is should be cheaper because I don't waste any coffee.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Ive had mine for two years and ive yet to have a problem. I dig my K40 simply cause it has three cup sizes.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am

I just ordered these and got them in. Huge variety of flavored and non-flavored coffees. Only about 3 or 4 decaf, and none of the teas, ciders and cocoas you get in other mixed packs. Will definitely be getting these again as I have yet to have a cup I didn't like.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I1 ... UTF8&psc=1
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Fri May 02, 2014 10:15 am

Figured since others are now making K-Cups I'd start seeing more exotic stuff, and did find some Tanzania Peaberry, my favorite, from a place in VA. Ordered it and while the coffee was good, the K Cups themselves were terrible. Couple of them had the lid come off and left a ton of grounds. The ones that didn't, when you went to take them out they would stick to the top and you had to work it to slide it out.

So, buyer beware!
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Fri May 02, 2014 10:28 am

count2infinity wrote:I just ordered these and got them in. Huge variety of flavored and non-flavored coffees. Only about 3 or 4 decaf, and none of the teas, ciders and cocoas you get in other mixed packs. Will definitely be getting these again as I have yet to have a cup I didn't like.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Those are eligible for subscribe and save if you regularly want them - you can get a discount.

Although I am a firm believer in getting the reuseable cups you can put grounds into. Not just because it saves a ton of money, but also because I think it tastes better. I use them for tea too.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri May 02, 2014 11:29 am

Those of you that use the filter - do you grind your own bean? I'm thinking the pre-ground bean is made for coffee makers with longer brewing cycles.

We have a Keurig at work, and I've used pre-ground coffee in it...and it tastes weak and plasticky. I like my coffee strong, so perhaps I need to brew two small cups instead of one large cup?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR