LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 pm

turns out Max Papis has been tapped for WGI.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Cool! This will be the first time in a long while seeing a road course ringer in great equipment. I still have Ambrose three-peating this weekend, though.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:33 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Cool! This will be the first time in a long while seeing a road course ringer in great equipment. I still have Ambrose three-peating this weekend, though.

I think the best a true ringer (as opposed to a full time series regular) has finished is Fellows, who finished 2nd to Gordon many years back.

I still remember Buckshot Jones was in position to win at Sonoma in the Petty 44 car some 10 years ago and ran out of fuel coming to the white. Closest he ever got. AHHHH, misremembering am I. I am remembering the Petty 44, but it was the following year when Jerry Nadeau was driving it in 2002. Broke right before the end while running away. http://www.racing-reference.info/race/2 ... Mart_350/W
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Another great race at Watkins Glen today. Is there any doubt NASCAR needs another road course? For my money, WGI might be the best track on the circuit. It, Martinsville, Bristol, and Richmond consistently produce.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:55 pm

race was a snoozer really. Bad luck of when a yellow came out decided the race.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Montoya out at EGR. You have to think Larson in, but that seems a little bit early for him. Montoya was having his best season even though the points don't reflect it. He ran up front a lot and nearly (i.e., should have) won Richmond.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:44 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Montoya out at EGR. You have to think Larson in, but that seems a little bit early for him. Montoya was having his best season even though the points don't reflect it. He ran up front a lot and nearly (i.e., should have) won Richmond.

Do you mean Dover? (The Jimmie Johnson black flag, and Stewart passes Montoya with less than 10 to go?)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:35 pm

as an aside, I wonder if it is time for Earnhardt and Ganassi to split ways... they've seemed to be quite provincial since the merger in 09. i.e. DEI guys on the 1, and Ganassi guys on the 42. The teams used to be 3 cars each.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:37 pm

relantel wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:Montoya out at EGR. You have to think Larson in, but that seems a little bit early for him. Montoya was having his best season even though the points don't reflect it. He ran up front a lot and nearly (i.e., should have) won Richmond.

Do you mean Dover? (The Jimmie Johnson black flag, and Stewart passes Montoya with less than 10 to go?)

He could have won that race too. I meant Richmond, where he had an apparently insurmountable lead with less than 5 to go when a caution came out and almost everyone had to pit for a GWC. That was Richmond, right?

I guess Newman or Busch could fill the car, too. I see Newman taking Quicken somewhere though, and I don't see Target signing on for Busch, but perhaps I am wrong.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:06 am

your right. I had forgotten that. Jeff Burton with a chance and Harvick steals on the GWC. Once again, Hamlin ruined someone else's chance to win at Richmond. (by causing the lap 396 caution that cost Montoya the lead)
Last edited by relantel on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:07 am

relantel wrote:your right. I had forgotten that. Jeff Burton with a chance and Harvick steals on the GWC. Once again, Hamlin ruined someone else's chance to win at Richmond.

:lol:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 am

hello, what am I smoking. I forgot that was one of the races Hamlin missed. :oops:

(I think I blindly saw the 11 car and assumed it was Hamlin, conditioned to that number now am I with respect to him... that was once Brett Bodine's number, and owned by Junior Johnson before that (that Bill Elliott and Darrell Waltrip and Cale Yarborough drove, among others)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Winningest number in NASCAR history; Hamlin broke the record last year.

Also, I LOL'ed uncritically at the joke, also not realizing he missed that race and blindly trusting your encyclopaedic NASCAR knowledge.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:15 am

apparently FS1 will be on all major outlets starting 6am tomorrow. Reportedly will move from 607 on DirecTV to 219.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:26 pm

relantel wrote:apparently FS1 will be on all major outlets starting 6am tomorrow. Reportedly will move from 607 on DirecTV to 219.

That's a big improvement for them!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:25 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
relantel wrote:apparently FS1 will be on all major outlets starting 6am tomorrow. Reportedly will move from 607 on DirecTV to 219.

That's a big improvement for them!

I think it was only last year that NBSN moved from 603 to 220. Reportedly CBS's national network is moving into that range too. (I don't even know what channel they were).

(Still half-annoyed they had swapped ESPN Classic and ESPNU between 208/614 a few years ago. 614 is an afterthought.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Death of SPEED and the new FS1

Postby relantel on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Mike Joy did the signoff for SPEED, just before 6am, with a fitting tribute to the 18 years of SPEED. Curt Menafee did the introduction to FS1 just after 6am. To which they went into a taped college football preview. First up as far as live programming was John Roberts hosting from Michigan at 8am, followed by Cup practice, Truck quals, cup practice, truck race. Their nightly lineup is supposed to run live sportscast 11p, 12m & 1a then repeated all night, taking a direct run at ESPN. SPEED's WindTunnel and SpeedCenter died as of Watkins Glen, as they did not make the move, and Trackside ended with Michigan the night before the switchover. Race Hub will make the move, but it is no longer at a solid timeslot, nor is it an hour each Monday-Thursday. It's now 30 mins long, and it airs live during the daytime, shifting depending on the day. RaceDay is also cut in half, from 2 hours down to 1. Victory Lane was already cut down from 1 hour to 30 minutes earlier in 2013, and remains that way, with an apparent fixed timeslot of 7pm on Sunday. (It had aired starting right after the Network broadcast signed off). Apparently among the featured programming of FS1 is UFC and boxing, and Regis Philbin returns with a sports-based talk show each afternoon.

Truck race had a great finish to it. Much of it was a duel between Miguel Paludo and Kyle Busch, including some late restarts, but defending series champ James Buescher dove three-wide below Kyle Busch and Brendan Gaughan to take the lead with 3 to go, and held Kyle Busch and Ty Dillon off, who were forced to a photo finish for 2nd. FS1 ran off after the winner and 2nd place interview, for a 1 on 1 interview program where the subject was Tom Brady. They never bothered to show the photo finish, where Kyle Busch was credited for 2nd by the smallest of margins over Ty Dillon.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Logano wins at Michigan. I didn't watch the race. Although it turned into a fuel mileage race, it seems like he in fact had a legit car, getting max points. It's crazy he has more wins than Keselowski right now. I can almost guarantee that Hamlin wrecks him before Chicagoland, costing him a Chase berth.

In other news, SHR offers Busch a ride, which would expand them to a fourth team. Who would have thought that Kurt Busch would be sitting in 9th place (and could be higher), though, at FRR, making the decision actually pretty tough.

Finally, Mark Martin probably raced his last race in the 55. He'll move over to the 14 for the rest of the season, I think, and Vickers will fill the car he'll drive next year.

I guess I'll also note that Hamlin sucks. His cars have speed -- Kyle and Kenseth do fine -- and Hamlin qualifies well in the car. Then, he sinks like a rock. It's sad, 2011 all over again.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 am

hammer, don't get to down on Denny. He'll be back better than ever in 2014.

I watched the whole race. The one time I took a break to the kitchen, was the 88 caution. Car was bad fast though. Class of the field may have been the 78 car - pit strategy ended up determining the race. 22 won from the pole but it wasn't that simple.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 pm

How do you feel about Busch's story this season, racing the 78 up front all year? I think it's one of the most compelling, non-wreck-related story lines since I started watching regularly a couple of years ago.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:How do you feel about Busch's story this season, racing the 78 up front all year? I think it's one of the most compelling, non-wreck-related story lines since I started watching regularly a couple of years ago.

It seems a natural step for that team. We know Kurt hadn't forgotten how to drive. I've not been a fan per se but I can respect what Kurt and that team has done. From Denver no less. Sure their alliance with RCR doesn't hurt, but one has to think of Kurt as an upgrade over Regan Smith (no offense to Smith). That I think that team will win a couple races yet this season.

(In some ways, really is a nutty season. 15 - 88 - 2 - 78 have all been strong most of the year yet have zero wins between them.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 pm

wow. Yuengling enters NASCAR fray... to sponsor Ty Dillon in RCR's #3 in the Nationwide series in 2014. http://www.rcrracing.com/news/index.cfm?cid=52031
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:12 pm

And Mark Martin in for Stewart the rest of the season, save Talladega, which will be Austin Dillon.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 pm

I thought this would happen. A broken leg that leads to an entire week of hospitalization and two surgeries is a very, very, very serious leg injury.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm

I don't know how many of you have seen Smoke wheel a sprint car but I have on several occasions and the dude is amazing to watch.

Kyle Larson will be in a sprint car tonight at Sharon Speedway just across the Ohio border about an hour north of Pittsburgh for a $5,000 to win race if any of you all make the pilgrammage on short notice. He is amazing as well..Went from like 24th starting spot to 2nd (in 30 laps) at a World of Outlaws event at Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, PA a few weeks ago.

Spoiler:
dirt is for racing asphalt is for getting there
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR