LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Kaizer on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:04 pm

with pretty much everyone in the cabinet bellowing out their own speech today, looks like this is happening one way or another.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,543
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Welp, if this is the only measure people are willing to take against overpopulation I say go for it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,371
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:33 pm

“Congress doesn’t have a whole lot of core responsibilities,” said Barack Obama last week in an astonishing remark.


This quote scares me. Bush Part II
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,784
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:It's the difference between performing a test, analyzing the results and declaring failure and drawing a conclusion without ever performing the test.

Not all tests are necessary to having a good idea of the outcome, of course. For example, I do not need to test shoot myself in the face with a shotgun to have a pretty good idea how that will play out.


So now having a libertarian president is akin to shooting ones self in the face with a shotgun.

That's just a SLIGHT overstatement wouldn't you say?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:26 pm

True, shooting yourself in the face is unpleasant only for a few seconds, if you're lucky.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,371
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:27 pm

What exactly are you implying?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Kaizer on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Gaucho wrote:True, shooting yourself in the face is unpleasant only for a few seconds, if you're lucky.


:lol:
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,543
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:16 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:It's the difference between performing a test, analyzing the results and declaring failure and drawing a conclusion without ever performing the test.

Not all tests are necessary to having a good idea of the outcome, of course. For example, I do not need to test shoot myself in the face with a shotgun to have a pretty good idea how that will play out.


So now having a libertarian president is akin to shooting ones self in the face with a shotgun.

That's just a SLIGHT overstatement wouldn't you say?

It's a massive overstatement, if one is comparing the effects of one against the other. But if one is simply comparing the ease with which one could predetermine a bad outcome, then the comparison isn't quite so goofy.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Amanpour just said the attack was "undeniably" ordered by Assad. The only thing in her report which substantiated this was Biden saying it was undeniably ordered by Assad. Journalism.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,635
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:It's the difference between performing a test, analyzing the results and declaring failure and drawing a conclusion without ever performing the test.

Not all tests are necessary to having a good idea of the outcome, of course. For example, I do not need to test shoot myself in the face with a shotgun to have a pretty good idea how that will play out.


So now having a libertarian president is akin to shooting ones self in the face with a shotgun.

That's just a SLIGHT overstatement wouldn't you say?

It's a massive overstatement, if one is comparing the effects of one against the other. But if one is simply comparing the ease with which one could predetermine a bad outcome, then the comparison isn't quite so goofy.

And you know this because of what demonstratable examples?

I mean seriously. Do you realize how pompous, arrogant and dismissive this sounds?

We aren't exactly a model economy with this two party system are we?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:32 pm

A Plutocracy Ruled by Self-Centered Jerks?
http://billmoyers.com/2013/08/27/a-plut ... red-jerks/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:And you know this because of what demonstratable examples?

Not sure if you missed the bit where this line of discussion started because some ideas are so bad on their face that you don't need to test them - thus obviating the need for demonstrable examples.

I make this claim because I find it an utter absurdity to advocate electing someone into an office where they are more or less viewed as the leader of the government, when the core of that person's political philosophy is that the entity they are in charge of is inherently evil. The notion of any libertarian holding elective office at any level is somewhat sketchy to me.

ExPatriatePen wrote:I mean seriously. Do you realize how pompous, arrogant and dismissive this sounds?

Hopefully no more than the appropriate amount.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:40 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I make this claim because I find it an utter absurdity to advocate electing someone into an office where they are more or less viewed as the leader of the government, when the core of that person's political philosophy is that the entity they are in charge of is inherently evil. The notion of any libertarian holding elective office at any level is somewhat sketchy to me.


How do you explain your support for Ron Paul?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

It's amazing to me that cyber warfare is as much a focus as tactical weapons.

What the hell am I doing in the middle of this ****?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:07 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:It's amazing to me that cyber warfare is as much a focus as tactical weapons.

What the hell am I doing in the middle of this ****?

I got into this field because of my love for technology. I never thought what I'd be doing had these kinda of implications.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Kaizer on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 pm

yahoo story #1: Syria
yahoo story #2: Tebow
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,543
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Apparently we did learn our lesson from supporting the Taliban, Saddam......
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Yeah, Francis Townsend was on CNN last night and seriously claimed that the longer we wait to act, the stronger AQ will get in Syria. This is crap and everyone knows it.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,635
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 pm

A lot of what I am seeing from common folk is that we have to do something because we have proof this time. Proof of what? Proof of chemical weapons being used? So...it's the method of killing that bothers people, not the actual killing itself?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,916
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:Welp, if this is the only measure people are willing to take against overpopulation I say go for it.

#Bertrand Zobrist
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:10 am

A list of information potentially required to receive SNAP benefits

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/outreach/T ... h/need.htm

I've never heard minorities claim how these cumbersome requirements negatively impact them, yet when it comes to providing similar information for the purposes of voting, they sound like they have to move mountains to attain proper documentation to satisfy proposed Voter ID laws.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,031
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:24 am

Representative Eliot L. Engel of New York, the ranking Democrat on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, suggested in an interview that the attacks go further than what appears to be under consideration by the administration, including strikes on the Syrian Air Force, its munitions depots and military fuel supplies to “tip the battle in favor of the insurgents.”

“We should try to help the rebels and help the people fighting Assad,” Mr. Engel said.


http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/28/world ... ml?hp&_r=0

Then what, Mr. Engel?

Thankfully, Mr. McCain has the answer:

“If we do it right and get the momentum … shifted to our freedom fighters — and by the way, I know who they are. I’ve met with them. I’ve been in Syria with them, and anybody who tells you they’re taken over by extremists, they are not,” McCain said. “I know for a fact that there are the right people we could get the right weapons to, and to say we don’t is not telling the truth, and for us to let the situation continue to evolve and into a regional conflict. … It’s not just about Syria. It’s about the outbreak of a conflict in the region and the United States has passively observed it.”


oreally.jpg

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/j ... z2dG51kp00
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 am

I feel like I'm losing my mind with all this.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,036
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 am

columbia wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I make this claim because I find it an utter absurdity to advocate electing someone into an office where they are more or less viewed as the leader of the government, when the core of that person's political philosophy is that the entity they are in charge of is inherently evil. The notion of any libertarian holding elective office at any level is somewhat sketchy to me.


How do you explain your support for Ron Paul?

Because on the foreign policy front he's the only U.S. politician who has the stones to call shenanigans on the interventionism of the past decades and articulate the clear ramifications of same.

And make no mistake, that is pretty much the only reason I support him.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


e-mail