Politics... have at it!!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Jim on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:28 pm

I did a double take when I saw the name...

I actually started this thread to get the conversations out of the Pens portion of the board. Civil hasn't always been the name of the game, but (almost) everyone survived.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:17 pm

Jim wrote:I did a double take when I saw the name...

I actually started this thread to get the conversations out of the Pens portion of the board. Civil hasn't always been the name of the game, but (almost) everyone survived.

:thumb:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I think I actually came to the wrong thread. :lol: I believe it was another COVID thread I was messaged about.

As long as people discuss and disagree like civilized humans I, personally, feel a political thread should have more leeway within strict/specific board rules. Like, name-calling is an elementary no-no, amirite?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:09 pm

Anyone remember iEUX?

I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to post about this but it's been bothering me and my thought is, what better place to post about than with those who "knew" him? If it's taboo, I'd understand and respect that. I was going to make a thread, but thought it might be ok here.

So, my photobucket doesn't want to host my stuff anymore unless I pay and while I was looking at it after all these years I came across screen shots of the chat (many, many of all of you :twisted: ), but what caught my attention was the one titled: iEUX's final meltdown.

It made me go look up what the final disposition of his case was. I was hit pretty hard when I saw death penalty. Not because what he did wasn't horrible, but because I'm anti-death penalty (I see it as state sanctioned hypocrisy, we don't teach that killing is wrong by killing, also life in prison is what I consider true punishment, etc.) and I've never "known"/interacted with anyone sentenced to death, and until the moment of realization didn't even know I/we all had.

In the news footage I saw he looked at the camera and sneered "let's go pens". I couldn't help but feel like that was at us.

Back then, in my idealistic naivete, I tried to work with/get through to him. There were times when I thought I might be making headway. To look back and see he expressed his murderous rage within days of getting booted (I think from multiple platforms) and his disgusting pride in his actions really sent home that there is no reasoning with/getting through to people that embedded in that sort of mentality.

This post is mainly about feeling icky about the death penalty, regardless of how abhorrent I find the crime and criminal. The ick is part having interacted with said criminal, said crimes deserved said fate, however I don't advocate death penalty ever (unless in defense of yours or someone else's life/ves, and even then we should aim to disable before kill). Outside of my rational reasons, I also happen to feel rotting in prison is a worse fate than just ending it.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:15 pm

I have literally zero idea of what you are referring to.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:27 pm

Jim wrote:I have literally zero idea of what you are referring to.

Spoiler:
Richard Poplawski posted here as iEUX and he was horrible.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/tag/richard-poplawski/
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:48 pm

dagny wrote:
Jim wrote:I have literally zero idea of what you are referring to.

Spoiler:
Richard Poplawski posted here as iEUX and he was horrible.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/tag/richard-poplawski/

I do not recall iEUX as a poster name, and I do not remember the connection. Maybe it was the year that I "took off".
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zarovich on Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:00 pm

He played werewolf with us. He was a strange bird indeed
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:58 am

When are we going to start reporting deaths from covid like every other disease? Like every other disease is reported by season or year. It is disingenuous to compare covid to them now without splitting it up that way.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Grunthy wrote:When are we going to start reporting deaths from covid like every other disease? Like every other disease is reported by season or year. It is disingenuous to compare covid to them now without splitting it up that way.

Just going out on a limb, but "when it stops being incredibly relevant to most of the world" would be my guess.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 am

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/forme ... cal-arena/

There was a youtoo video link available earlier. I tried to post it here, but I couldn't get it to work.

Regardless of your lane that you drive in, I admire his conviction to stay in his lane.

Former Penguins player, just in case you were wondering.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby theblackarts on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:57 am

BigMcK wrote:https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/former-pro-hockey-player-turned-cop-blasts-policy-banning-unvaccinated-parents-from-rink-then-asks-city-to-remove-a-jersey-he-donated-to-his-local-arena/

There was a youtoo video link available earlier. I tried to post it here, but I couldn't get it to work.

Regardless of your lane that you drive in, I admire his conviction to stay in his lane.

That’s the sort of impressively backwards logic only a pro athlete could attain.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Zarovich on Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:16 pm

theblackarts wrote:
BigMcK wrote:https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/former-pro-hockey-player-turned-cop-blasts-policy-banning-unvaccinated-parents-from-rink-then-asks-city-to-remove-a-jersey-he-donated-to-his-local-arena/

That’s the sort of impressively backwards logic only a pro athlete could attain.

Not sure I remember any pandemics in the last 20 years, maybe Steve can remind us of the one he played through in those other countries. :pop:
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:56 am

Jim wrote:

Unfortunately, the subtitles have absolutely nothing to do with what the guy is actually saying. He’s telling a story about paella.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks Captain Obvious. It's called a meme. Google this guy, there are hundreds... none of which are about what he is actually saying.

There were 20, I found 1... hahaha
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:35 am

Yeah that has been around a while as a meme.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:59 am

The Bangladesh surgical/cloth mask study released their seroprevalence data for the masked vs unmasked. At best masks were shown to reduce cases by 2%. Most likely they did nothing.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:40 pm

Perceived safety, like airport security, to keep the sheeple pacified.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby theblackarts on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Grunthy wrote:The Bangladesh surgical/cloth mask study released their seroprevalence data for the masked vs unmasked. At best masks were shown to reduce cases by 2%. Most likely they did nothing.

Wow! A trial (with caveats) showed that cloth masks are marginally effective in a third world country! I mean, if that doesn't prove... something, I don't know what would! Time to extrapolate upon these results to justify all of my conspiratorial thinking!!!
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Grunthy on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:15 pm

theblackarts wrote:
Grunthy wrote:The Bangladesh surgical/cloth mask study released their seroprevalence data for the masked vs unmasked. At best masks were shown to reduce cases by 2%. Most likely they did nothing.

Wow! A trial (with caveats) showed that cloth masks are marginally effective in a third world country! I mean, if that doesn't prove... something, I don't know what would! Time to extrapolate upon these results to justify all of my conspiratorial thinking!!!

Post an RCT that shows they work as this one shows they really don’t. Otherwise, you are the one that doesn’t accept facts because it goes against what gives you comfort.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:54 am

Grunthy wrote:
theblackarts wrote:

Post an RCT that shows they work as this one shows they really don’t. Otherwise, you are the one that doesn’t accept facts because it goes against what gives you comfort.

1) Where did I reject the results? 2) Who is arguing for cloth masks? Please try to contextualize the results of this study with the rest of reality before you jump to irresponsible conclusions.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Grunthy on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:06 am

It also proved surgical were almost basically useless as well. Massive study shows 20 less cases.

Also, I don’t remember any mask mandates saying don’t wear such and such mask. They said they all work. Which is laughably stupid and now basically confirmed.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:12 pm

Also… everyone needs to take a chill pill on the new SA variant “Nu”. It is ridiculously unlikely it would evade all vaccine capabilities.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sailorroosco ... 0731820043

https://mobile.twitter.com/sailorroosco ... 6410173441

Person that worked on the moderna vaccine.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:16 pm

Grunthy wrote:It also proved surgical were almost basically useless as well. Massive study shows 20 less cases.

Also, I don’t remember any mask mandates saying don’t wear such and such mask. They said they all work. Which is laughably stupid and now basically confirmed.

Yeah, you're right, CDC and WOW definitely said "they all work." There has been no literature anywhere clearly demonstrating the differences, or encouraging anyone to wear a properly fitted mask, or double mask. That's why surgeons just tie t-shirts around their faces; same thing for sure!

Keep in mind that the intervention group was regularly coming into contact with maskless individuals. Pretty sure that's not the selling point of mask wearing (which again, definitely has not been crystal clear since day one). But extrapolate away!

From the study: "The total impact with near-universal masking–perhaps achievable with alternative strategies or stricter enforcement–may be several times larger than our 10% estimate." "Where achievable, universal mask adoption is likely to have still larger impacts."
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to NHR