The Penguins Rebuild Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: The Penguins Rebuild Thread

Postby offsides on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:18 pm

There seems to be a lot of replace Sullivan desire. If they decide to replace Sullivan who would be the best available guys to pick from? I really have no clue.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:50 pm

offsides wrote:There seems to be a lot of replace Sullivan desire. If they decide to replace Sullivan who would be the best available guys to pick from? I really have no clue.

Frankly, if a team does a good job of finding a new coach we probably will have never heard of them. To me that’s a good thing. If we know who is available it’s either because they’re a retread of a safe pick. I’d rather the Penguins find the best fit rather than the convenient one.

I get what you’re saying but I’d rather be surprised with a perfect pick and have a long term coach rather than safe and gone after a few years. I do think MS has the ability to navigate a rebuild/retool, I just think he’s been here too long and getting stubborn about adapting.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:25 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:Chicago, Kings, Anaheim, Wings. All have one thing in common. All waited way too long to take action due to loyalty and not making enough major changes. Pens certainly don't need scorched earth, but change HAS to happen to avoid falling into the same category.

Yeah, I agree with this as well.

As currently configured, this team has a marginal chance to make the playoffs. But I don't see them going deep.

Referring back to the Scorched Earth policy, I am not adverse to moving Malkin and Letang but I think Rust and Guentzel should be kept.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:26 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Chicago, Kings, Anaheim, Wings. All have one thing in common. All waited way too long to take action due to loyalty and not making enough major changes. Pens certainly don't need scorched earth, but change HAS to happen to avoid falling into the same category.

Yeah, I agree with this as well.

As currently configured, this team has a marginal chance to make the playoffs. But I don't see them going deep.

Referring back to the Scorched Earth policy, I am not adverse to moving Malkin and Letang but I think Rust and Guentzel should be kept.

My only concern with keeping both Rust and Guentzel is that you are going to have 11-12M tied up in two top 6 wingers that aren't alphas. If they aren't with Crosby or Malkin, they aren't going to create as much offense on their own.

The Penguins need a top 6 winger of this ilk moving forward, to take some of the pressure off of Sid and Geno, and can still produce at a high level without them in the lineup.

The other thing with scorched earth...Guentzel is going to be one of their most valuable assets. If the want to do a tear it down, build it back up, he's probably going to have to go to gain some high level assets. Not sure the Penguins will do it, but they should strongly consider it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:30 am

If it's truly a "scorched earth" rebuild, then I would imagine that would mean that everyone not named Crosby is gone for whatever picks/prospects can be had. The only reason Crosby isn't gone too is that if he wanted to stay, he's obviously the Penguins' ticket to staying relevant to the hockey world during what would likely be at least a few bad years. Otherwise, it'd be more of a rebuild-on-the-fly type of scenario. No way that a Rust or Guentzel remains under this extreme type of rebuild.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:07 pm

Here's the reverse side of the rebuild -- who off the current roster do you keep through this rebuild?
I think Crosby, Kapanen (maybe), Blueger, McGinn, Marino, Jarry, Heinen (maybe)
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:24 pm

dark_forces wrote:Here's the reverse side of the rebuild -- who off the current roster do you keep through this rebuild?

You still have to field a team. I would trade 4 players this deadline Malkin, Letang, Rust and Dumoulin. Each should get you a 1st rounder at minimum. Bring back Malkin and Letang if the price is right, but getting 4 1st rounders on top of your own is a great start on a rebuild.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dark_forces on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:35 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
dark_forces wrote:Here's the reverse side of the rebuild -- who off the current roster do you keep through this rebuild?

You still have to field a team. I would trade 4 players this deadline Malkin, Letang, Rust and Dumoulin. Each should get you a 1st rounder at minimum. Bring back Malkin and Letang if the price is right, but getting 4 1st rounders on top of your own is a great start on a rebuild.

I just don't see them dealing Letang or Malkin unless either asked to be dealt. I think Rust is the highest-profile player that could realistically be moved, followed by Carter. Also, I would imagine that they've tried to deal Zucker, but likely his cap hit has been prohibitive.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:51 pm

I think you have to keep E-Rod as well. There's a lot of heart there and he's having a very productive year. I'm not saying he's going to be another Rust, but man he's putting forth the effort. :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Crosby, Marino, Pettersson, Blueger, and Jarry would be my must keeps. Marino and Pettersson are young enough that, if a rebuild takes 5 years, Marino would be 29 and Pettersson 30. Still likely in their prime and not too old to keep around for another 4-5 years as vets. Blueger simply because we have little center depth, and Jarry because we do not have a goalie that can step in and be the guy. In a few years, we will see if Clang or Blomqvist can be the guy.

Those would be the guys I would keep to build around, but not saying they would be the core. Those would be good secondary pieces around a new core. I would also keep Rodrigues and Heinen for the right price, as so far, they would provide more value on the roster than what they would net you in a trade. Kapanen...if someone gave me a very good offer, I would move him. If not, and his cost stays about what it is now on his upcoming RFA deal, I would keep him...but he may be a 3rd liner. I fear though with the output he had last year, he'll be able to command a bigger salary on an RFA deal, so they may end up moving him.

You give DOC more ice time. You make room for at least 1, if not 2 of Poulin, Legare, Puustinen, and Hallander. You sign one or two other top 9 type of forwards, and then give some other guys like Bellerive and Bjorkqvist and Angello and Zohorna shots in the bottom of the lineup.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Crosby, Marino, Pettersson, Blueger, and Jarry would be my must keeps. Marino and Pettersson are young enough that, if a rebuild takes 5 years, Marino would be 29 and Pettersson 30. Still likely in their prime and not too old to keep around for another 4-5 years as vets. Blueger simply because we have little center depth, and Jarry because we do not have a goalie that can step in and be the guy. In a few years, we will see if Clang or Blomqvist can be the guy.

Those would be the guys I would keep to build around, but not saying they would be the core. Those would be good secondary pieces around a new core. I would also keep Rodrigues and Heinen for the right price, as so far, they would provide more value on the roster than what they would net you in a trade. Kapanen...if someone gave me a very good offer, I would move him. If not, and his cost stays about what it is now on his upcoming RFA deal, I would keep him...but he may be a 3rd liner. I fear though with the output he had last year, he'll be able to command a bigger salary on an RFA deal, so they may end up moving him.

You give DOC more ice time. You make room for at least 1, if not 2 of Poulin, Legare, Puustinen, and Hallander. You sign one or two other top 9 type of forwards, and then give some other guys like Bellerive and Bjorkqvist and Angello and Zohorna shots in the bottom of the lineup.

What about Lindberg? You’re putting those two ahead of him?
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Daniel on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:32 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Shame Kapanen isn’t on that list but I’d have to agree with you about him. He has the skill level and should be part of a rebuild, but something about him ya know. He’s one of those almost players. Almost good defensively, almost good offensively, almost consistent. Just almost everything but speed and even that is almost. Almost plays fast.

It’s like half the roster can be gone by this time next year and this is a great opportunity for a quick retooling. I would have 6-8 forward spots open for competition and just let the chips fall where they may. If done right, the Pens could have about $30-$40M in cap space with about 8-10 signed players, from my last calculations, and could easily get 1-2 game changing UFA forward. We’d need a few players to breakout, but don’t most cup winning teams need unexpected contributions?

Either the Penguins have the assets to make a run or we watch a lottery team going into the 2023 draft but todays NHL allows for a quick retooling if done right.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:44 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

What about Lindberg? You’re putting those two ahead of him?

I haven't seen enough of Lindberg (or Clang or Blomqvist, really) to know who appears to be NHL starter material. From what little I have seen of Lindberg, I think he can be a capable backup. Need to see more to determine if he can be a solid NHL starter on a good team.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:53 pm

dark_forces wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I just don't see them dealing Letang or Malkin unless either asked to be dealt. I think Rust is the highest-profile player that could realistically be moved, followed by Carter. Also, I would imagine that they've tried to deal Zucker, but likely his cap hit has been prohibitive.

You're right, I left off Carter. He should definitely be moved but he won't yield a 1st.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 pm

The Drive It Until the Wheels Are On Fire and Melting Off The Bus Option

In this option, the team stays loyal to Malkin and Letang, re-signing both, results be damned. The current consensus seems to be that Letang would be the priority, and get similar or possibly more than his current AAV. The feeling is Letang's level of play has not dropped off that much, and while he had some health issues a good 5 years ago, he's been pretty durable. Also statements that Letang is very "prideful," and is the type that sees these big deals being thrown around, and that he is playing at a similar or better level than some of these big money D-men.

The consensus I have heard on Malkin is the Penguins are in wait and see mode. He's been injured a lot of the past several years, and the team really wants to see how he responds to this latest surgery before they decide to commit and how much they commit to him. Malkin's regular season play has been fine production wise. He needs to be better in the playoffs, and he needs to stay healthy.

Today, Malkin and Letang make 16.725M combined. How much they can trim from that amount would likely determine how successful this team could be. If they could bring Letang back @ 6M AAV, and Malkin @7M AAV, that opens almost 4M in cap space to make some modifications. Give them a 2 year deal, so if next season is going bad as a team, Penguins could still dump them with another year term and get a little better return. If I go with that assumption right now, that those 2 take those paycuts...

I'd go hard after Tarasenko. There may be some other options, but, I keep mentioning him because I know he has requested a trade and wants out, and he is a "play-driving winger," which is something the Penguins need. Maybe you can get STL to take Kapanen and a pick/prospect for Tarasenko. You likely need to add more, because STL is pretty much in a $ for $ situation with the cap, just like the Penguins. But you'd have Tarasenko this year and next year to make another run. Maybe you'd lift Malkin a little bit by giving him a highly skilled Russian to play with.

I'd go get Jaro Halak from Vancouver as a backup. His numbers are fair (2.85 GAA, .910 SV%) on a very bad Vancouver team. He has playoff experience. He is someone I wanted the Penguins to look at this summer. He's not going to be the guy, but he can start if needed, and I wouldn't be afraid to go to him in the playoffs.

On defense, I would go get someone better than Chad Ruhwedel for the 3rd RD pairing. Colin Miller from Buffalo might be one option. Other than him, there really isn't much available as a UFA rental from the bottom feeder teams. Would have to see what else is out there as more teams drop out of playoff contention over the next 2 months. I wouldn't mind having Codi Ceci back, honestly. He hasn't done well in Edmonton, I don't like his term, but, at 3.25M, if he came back here, and played like he did last season...he's capable of being a 3rd pairing d-man who steps up into 2nd pairing without much issue.

So, is it possible to bring in Tarasenko, Halak, and Ceci....and not send out much in the way of futures. Could we somehow send out Kapanen, Zucker, Dumoulin, and a late pick to get those guys? Tarasenko for Kapanen and Dumoulin? Halak for Friedman? Ceci for Zucker? I don't know if any of what the Penguins are giving back fits needs of the other team...looking at more overall value and cap working out. If you move Zucker, we'd have to make another move for some type of rental UFA LW, or count on Heinen in that spot.

With this option, really planning beyond this season is difficult. But if they are going to make a run this year, with a plan not to dump Malkin or Letang...and they actually want to make a real run and not just be happy making the playoffs and be 1 or 2 rounds and done, they are going to need to make some moves and get creative if they don't want to give up futures.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:17 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The Drive It Until the Wheels Are On Fire and Melting Off The Bus Option

In this option, the team stays loyal to Malkin and Letang, re-signing both, results be damned. The current consensus seems to be that Letang would be the priority, and get similar or possibly more than his current AAV. The feeling is Letang's level of play has not dropped off that much, and while he had some health issues a good 5 years ago, he's been pretty durable. Also statements that Letang is very "prideful," and is the type that sees these big deals being thrown around, and that he is playing at a similar or better level than some of these big money D-men.

The consensus I have heard on Malkin is the Penguins are in wait and see mode. He's been injured a lot of the past several years, and the team really wants to see how he responds to this latest surgery before they decide to commit and how much they commit to him. Malkin's regular season play has been fine production wise. He needs to be better in the playoffs, and he needs to stay healthy.

Today, Malkin and Letang make 16.725M combined. How much they can trim from that amount would likely determine how successful this team could be. If they could bring Letang back @ 6M AAV, and Malkin @7M AAV, that opens almost 4M in cap space to make some modifications. Give them a 2 year deal, so if next season is going bad as a team, Penguins could still dump them with another year term and get a little better return. If I go with that assumption right now, that those 2 take those paycuts...

I'd go hard after Tarasenko. There may be some other options, but, I keep mentioning him because I know he has requested a trade and wants out, and he is a "play-driving winger," which is something the Penguins need. Maybe you can get STL to take Kapanen and a pick/prospect for Tarasenko. You likely need to add more, because STL is pretty much in a $ for $ situation with the cap, just like the Penguins. But you'd have Tarasenko this year and next year to make another run. Maybe you'd lift Malkin a little bit by giving him a highly skilled Russian to play with.

I'd go get Jaro Halak from Vancouver as a backup. His numbers are fair (2.85 GAA, .910 SV%) on a very bad Vancouver team. He has playoff experience. He is someone I wanted the Penguins to look at this summer. He's not going to be the guy, but he can start if needed, and I wouldn't be afraid to go to him in the playoffs.

On defense, I would go get someone better than Chad Ruhwedel for the 3rd RD pairing. Colin Miller from Buffalo might be one option. Other than him, there really isn't much available as a UFA rental from the bottom feeder teams. Would have to see what else is out there as more teams drop out of playoff contention over the next 2 months. I wouldn't mind having Codi Ceci back, honestly. He hasn't done well in Edmonton, I don't like his term, but, at 3.25M, if he came back here, and played like he did last season...he's capable of being a 3rd pairing d-man who steps up into 2nd pairing without much issue.

So, is it possible to bring in Tarasenko, Halak, and Ceci....and not send out much in the way of futures. Could we somehow send out Kapanen, Zucker, Dumoulin, and a late pick to get those guys? Tarasenko for Kapanen and Dumoulin? Halak for Friedman? Ceci for Zucker? I don't know if any of what the Penguins are giving back fits needs of the other team...looking at more overall value and cap working out. If you move Zucker, we'd have to make another move for some type of rental UFA LW, or count on Heinen in that spot.

With this option, really planning beyond this season is difficult. But if they are going to make a run this year, with a plan not to dump Malkin or Letang...and they actually want to make a real run and not just be happy making the playoffs and be 1 or 2 rounds and done, they are going to need to make some moves and get creative if they don't want to give up futures.

The franchise has to be careful to be too loyal and hang on to players beyond their shelf life for the franchise. I think Malkin and Letang have earned the right to retire a Penguin but the franchise needs to navigate really carefully to have Sid/Geno/Kris on the roster at the same time, especially if they all have no movement or no trade clauses.

Dumoulin and Rust fall into the category of need to sell high so they can be replaced by younger/cheaper options. Frankly, I’d trade as many of Matheson, Dumoulin, Rust, Guentzel, Zucker, Kapanen and see what kind of return they can get before deciding on Malkin and Letang. Let’s say they can get a Tarasenko for Dumoulin and Kapanen, that might change the dynamic enough to keep Zucker or Guentzel (either way Rust should be gone).

Poulin, Legare, Hallander, Puustinen statistically seem to be having standard rookie seasons (can’t remember if Hallander is a rookie) at WBS. Should know more from them by February, see if they can be legit 2022-23 options or if more is needed.

So many things to take into consideration before Malkin/Legang get signed, but I think the 2022-23 version needs to be a complete overhaul from this years squad. Either player overhaul or system overhaul because this team as is won’t score enough to go far in the playoffs.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:17 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The Drive It Until the Wheels Are On Fire and Melting Off The Bus Option

The franchise has to be careful to be too loyal and hang on to players beyond their shelf life for the franchise. I think Malkin and Letang have earned the right to retire a Penguin but the franchise needs to navigate really carefully to have Sid/Geno/Kris on the roster at the same time, especially if they all have no movement or no trade clauses.

Dumoulin and Rust fall into the category of need to sell high so they can be replaced by younger/cheaper options. Frankly, I’d trade as many of Matheson, Dumoulin, Rust, Guentzel, Zucker, Kapanen and see what kind of return they can get before deciding on Malkin and Letang. Let’s say they can get a Tarasenko for Dumoulin and Kapanen, that might change the dynamic enough to keep Zucker or Guentzel (either way Rust should be gone).

Poulin, Legare, Hallander, Puustinen statistically seem to be having standard rookie seasons (can’t remember if Hallander is a rookie) at WBS. Should know more from them by February, see if they can be legit 2022-23 options or if more is needed.

So many things to take into consideration before Malkin/Letang get signed, but I think the 2022-23 version needs to be a complete overhaul from this years squad. Either player overhaul or system overhaul because this team as is won’t score enough to go far in the playoffs.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:07 pm

Malkin is still an elite player who wants to play in Pittsburgh. It’s a no-brainer to bring him back. I can’t wait to see how this team looks after Geno comes back and gets his game caught up. Moving Carter to the third will help make his line more dangerous and help the entire team all around.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:59 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Malkin is still an elite player who wants to play in Pittsburgh. It’s a no-brainer to bring him back. I can’t wait to see how this team looks after Geno comes back and gets his game caught up. Moving Carter to the third will help make his line more dangerous and help the entire team all around.

Our only hope for this season and possibly next, is that Crosby keeps improving, Malkin comes back and reaches his form. Without that, nothing matters. They need to carry this team on their backs. Come playoff time, if we make it, to make any kind of run,your secondary stars need to contribute a lot.

It's like flipping a coin and hoping for 10 times heads in a row. It's not impossible, just unlikely
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:05 pm

They are not carrying anyone anywhere. They no longer have it in them to do, as has been apparent for a few years now. There is nothing wrong with that and it isn't an indictment of them, they are just both on the wrong side of 30 now. The immutable march of time, even for greats like Crosby. Crosby can more likely adapt and play a useful role but Malkin won't or can't I don't think.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:04 pm

Antonio wrote:They are not carrying anyone anywhere. They no longer have it in them to do, as has been apparent for a few years now. There is nothing wrong with that and it isn't an indictment of them, they are just both on the wrong side of 30 now. The immutable march of time, even for greats like Crosby. Crosby can more likely adapt and play a useful role but Malkin won't or can't I don't think.

Also doesn't help that teams play more defensive when you get into the playoffs, and make you play more a dump & chase game. This team has never been good playing against a style that prevents them from carrying the puck into the zone.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crash66 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Jake misses practice today. They say he's injured and "will miss some time." Zucker also missed practice for an undisclosed reason.
Crash66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Crash66 wrote:Jake misses practice today. They say he's injured and "will miss some time." Zucker also missed practice for an undisclosed reason.

Zucker won't be missed, but Jake? Yikes!
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:31 pm

Crash66 wrote:Jake misses practice today. They say he's injured and "will miss some time." Zucker also missed practice for an undisclosed reason.

Of course he’s week to week, he finished last game.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Maestro wrote:Start the rebuild with another coach or else none of this will matter.
Don't allow Sullivan to ruin more developing talent.

You're silly. :lol:
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins