Pre-Game Talk Game 6 vs Tampa

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Pre-Game Talk Game 6 vs Tampa

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 pm

Yeah, cause today is the first time that anyone mentioned disapproval of Sullivan's ability.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Pitts wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:
Pitts wrote:LOL @ those who put their foot down about the winning-est coach and the BEST coach in Pen's history. You want him fired because he doesn't play the number jersey you want? Are they not winning right now? OK JoeBlow...

We bow to your insight. They should just sign him up for life right now. After all, he's their winning-est coach. But wait, how did he even get hired? After all, they previously had a winning-est coach, right? Shouldn't they have kept him? I wonder what the Penguins second most winning-est coach is up to these days...

There couldn't be other numerous well-documented issues with Sullivan's coaching, could there? Little things, like their 3-11 playoff record the last three straight years? BTW, he hasn't become their winning-est playoff coach yet, still trailing Bylsma by two games. Speaking of playoffs... Sullivan currently ranks 7th amongst Penguins coaches in playoff win percentage. But what do playoffs matter, as long as they keep racking up those regular season wins. (It took him more games played to eclipse Bylsma's number of regular season wins, as well, but why pay attention to details?)

Every coach on every team reaches their shelf life eventually. That happened with Bylsma, and he ended with a better winning percentage, both regular season and playoffs, than Sullivan has right now. You can scrape the mold off and keep toasting the bread for a while, but Sullivan has shown signs of approaching that shelf life for a while now. He's always gotten good results from a depleted roster, but the results with the star players in place, and most especially, the playoffs, where the cracks are showing. They're off to a fantastic start, but it's a ludicrously small sample size to judge the season at this point.

As for OMG, BEST coach eva!!! Yeah, it's a wonder the Pens managed any wins at all with the previous hacks they've had like Scotty Bowman and Bob Johnson. :lol:

Way to overblow my point. Apparently, you know much more that Mike Sullivan. Carry on.

Also, I didn't say "winning-est PLAYOFF coach": https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/playe ... -327062080

Way to miss the point. So, are all coaches in every sport beyond reproach in your mind because they're a coach and we're not, or is that just a special "Mike Sullivan" rule? Do you think Dan Bylsma was unfairly fired? He was the Pens winning-est coach, and had a better win percentage in the regular season and playoffs than Sullivan. Just using the standards that you set.

I am well aware you didn't say winning-est PLAYOFF coach. I addressed the fact that he surpassed the most regular season wins before moving to his playoff record. I was using that to illustrate where his failings have been most recently displayed. But feel free to continue to ignore all the info I provided because it doesn't fit your opinion.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:14 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Pitts wrote:LOL @ those who put their foot down about the winning-est coach and the BEST coach in Pen's history. You want him fired because he doesn't play the number jersey you want? Are they not winning right now? OK JoeBlow...

We bow to your insight. They should just sign him up for life right now. After all, he's their winning-est coach. But wait, how did he even get hired? After all, they previously had a winning-est coach, right? Shouldn't they have kept him? I wonder what the Penguins second most winning-est coach is up to these days...

There couldn't be other numerous well-documented issues with Sullivan's coaching, could there? Little things, like their 3-11 playoff record the last three straight years? BTW, he hasn't become their winning-est playoff coach yet, still trailing Bylsma by two games. Speaking of playoffs... Sullivan currently ranks 7th amongst Penguins coaches in playoff win percentage. But what do playoffs matter, as long as they keep racking up those regular season wins. (It took him more games played to eclipse Bylsma's number of regular season wins, as well, but why pay attention to details?)

Every coach on every team reaches their shelf life eventually. That happened with Bylsma, and he ended with a better winning percentage, both regular season and playoffs, than Sullivan has right now. You can scrape the mold off and keep toasting the bread for a while, but Sullivan has shown signs of approaching that shelf life for a while now. He's always gotten good results from a depleted roster, but the results with the star players in place, and most especially, the playoffs, where the cracks are showing. They're off to a fantastic start, but it's a ludicrously small sample size to judge the season at this point.

As for OMG, BEST coach eva!!! Yeah, it's a wonder the Pens managed any wins at all with the previous hacks they've had like Scotty Bowman and Bob Johnson. :lol:

So for those who said critics of the Great Sullivan lacked any data to back up the criticism and were just poppin off:

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:58 pm

Okay. Now fire him :)
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins