The future of Sheary

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

The future of Sheary

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 am

Should he be brought back of the price and term is good for next year? He’s picked right back up and had actually looked to be a more complete player on his return and he just fits with Sid. I am hoping He continues solid play in the playoffs too.

With the future still in doubt of a full 20/21 season and the cap at best staying flat, does it make sense for Sheary to sign a one year, $2 million or so deal as a prove it contract where he can get one more big deal when free agency opens again in 2021? Expansion will leave some big holes again and UFA’s should command better prices after the draft the after this weird season is done.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: The future of Sheary

Postby pens_CT on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am

I think its a wait and see on Sheary. You wait and see how he performs in the playoffs, and then you wait and see how low the cap is going to be for 20-21. They need someone to play RW and I assume that Legare isn't going to be NHL ready next season, and with Poulin who's probably closer to being ready, is he strictly a LW or can he play the right side?

If they did sign him, it has to be a one year deal, and for considerably less than the 3 million he is currently making this year.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 am

I see Bjugstad getting moved out/bought out due to cap reasons. If Poulin makes the team, we would be looking at this depth barring any other moves...

Guentzel Crosby Simon
Zucker Malkin Rust
Poulin McCann Hornqvist
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
Angello Lafferty Rodrigues
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am

I totally forgot about "hands of stone" Simon. He's probably the cheaper option over Sheary next season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:28 am

pens_CT wrote:I totally forgot about "hands of stone" Simon. He's probably the cheaper option over Sheary next season.

I can't believe I'm typing these words, but, I think Simon is likely more valuable to the Penguins than Sheary.

Sheary has pretty much shown he is a product of Crosby. he works well with Sid, but doesn't work well anywhere else in the lineup because his overall game is limited.
Sheary may have more potential scoring upside than Simon, but other than that and his speed, Sheary doesn't have much else to his game. Simon fits with Crosby or the 3rd line, and that versatility is a huge plus. Simon has shown ability to work well and be a good possession player with players other than Crosby.

Poulin is another big factor/question mark. I have a strong feeling Poulin will make the team next year, not only because of his overall skill level and improvement this year in Juniors, but also his cost. And, while starting him out on a 3rd line would be ideal, I could also see him moving up into the top 2 lines after a month or two in the NHL, and have something like this:

Zucker-Crosby-Guentzel
Poulin-Malkin-Rust
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

If come next season, I can sign Simon or Sheary for 1.25M, I'm likely taking Simon.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:Poulin is another big factor/question mark. I have a strong feeling Poulin will make the team next year, not only because of his overall skill level and improvement this year in Juniors, but also his cost. And, while starting him out on a 3rd line would be ideal, I could also see him moving up into the top 2 lines after a month or two in the NHL...

You actually didn't do what I am going to "old man yells at cloud" about, but this brought it to mind. Why do some people fell that a young offensive-ish guy needs to be on the top line, top 2 lines, right from the get go? Out of one side of the mouth you hear that no one wants goon-like wet blanked slow guys on the bottom 6, give us 4 scoring lines.... then if the "high potential" kid gets put in the bottom 6 the other side of the mouth: :scared:

What is wrong with giving the kid less minutes and less responsibility in order to get used to the NHL game, the NHL speed, the NHL size, the NHL power?

Of course, if that kid does get top 6 times and stumbles, those folk will :scared: about how he was misused. So...

But yeah, give even the "high potential" kids some time on the 3rd or 4th just to get used to it as opposed to throwing them into the deep end with rocks in their pockets and expecting then to tread.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Poulin is another big factor/question mark. I have a strong feeling Poulin will make the team next year, not only because of his overall skill level and improvement this year in Juniors, but also his cost. And, while starting him out on a 3rd line would be ideal, I could also see him moving up into the top 2 lines after a month or two in the NHL...

You actually didn't do what I am going to "old man yells at cloud" about, but this brought it to mind. Why do some people fell that a young offensive-ish guy needs to be on the top line, top 2 lines, right from the get go? Out of one side of the mouth you hear that no one wants goon-like wet blanked slow guys on the bottom 6, give us 4 scoring lines.... then if the "high potential" kid gets put in the bottom 6 the other side of the mouth: :scared:

What is wrong with giving the kid less minutes and less responsibility in order to get used to the NHL game, the NHL speed, the NHL size, the NHL power?

Of course, if that kid does get top 6 times and stumbles, those folk will :scared: about how he was misused. So...

But yeah, give even the "high potential" kids some time on the 3rd or 4th just to get used to it as opposed to throwing them into the deep end with rocks in their pockets and expecting then to tread.

Couldn't agree more. With high potential forwards, I basically use the Jaromir Jagr reference. We all know the talent and skill Jagr had, but, his first season, he was mainly on a 3rd line with either Trottier or Jiri Hrdina IIRC....but definitely not a top 6 guy his first year.

Taking someone like Poulin and automatically penciling him in as a top 6 forward to start would be a mistake. With Guentzel, Zucker, and Rust likely occupying 3 of the 4 top 6 spots, I don't think there is a need to strong need to force Poulin up the lineup. Put him on the 3rd line to start. If he handles it well, excels, and needs more ice time, fine, then consider bumping him up. But you are correct...let him a learn a bit with less minutes first.

I'm fairly confident in Poulin succeeding at the next level, unlike Mr. Sprong, who I greatly wanted to see succeed. Difference with Poulin is, he's getting some attention and praise outside the Pittsburgh area, whereas Sprong got mentioned as a top prospect by others, but most of the favorable noise on Spronger was in the local media, not national outlets.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Couldn't agree more. With high potential forwards, I basically use the Jaromir Jagr reference. We all know the talent and skill Jagr had, but, his first season, he was mainly on a 3rd line with either Trottier or Jiri Hrdina IIRC....but definitely not a top 6 guy his first year.

Taking someone like Poulin and automatically penciling him in as a top 6 forward to start would be a mistake. With Guentzel, Zucker, and Rust likely occupying 3 of the 4 top 6 spots, I don't think there is a need to strong need to force Poulin up the lineup. Put him on the 3rd line to start. If he handles it well, excels, and needs more ice time, fine, then consider bumping him up. But you are correct...let him a learn a bit with less minutes first.

I'm fairly confident in Poulin succeeding at the next level, unlike Mr. Sprong, who I greatly wanted to see succeed. Difference with Poulin is, he's getting some attention and praise outside the Pittsburgh area, whereas Sprong got mentioned as a top prospect by others, but most of the favorable noise on Spronger was in the local media, not national outlets.

Sprong could do one thing, shoot the puck. He was pretty useless at all other phases of the game. I agree that Poulin probably makes the team next year based on his ability to play up and down the lineup, and also since I doubt he can develop much more playing at the junior level.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 100565 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:07 pm

The last playoffs with Sheary on the team, he rarely (like 2minutes of total ice time) played with Sid. It was the year of no offense in the playoffs. I kept waiting for Sully to reunite Sheary and Sid for a spark, he never did...he tried every other combo. Iy was obviois Sully (or Sid) had enough or the Sid and Sheary.

I would wait and see how Sheary performs in this playoff. As of now, I would not offer him a contract...not even $2mil.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:51 am

I know it's been a small sample size, but I haven't ben impressed with Shery's return. His value is his ability to produce points with Sid, but he had 1 goal and 4 points in the 8 games he played. If you take away 2016-17, he hasn't really been that good at producing offense. He had 18 goals and 30 points in 79 games his last season before being traded to Buffalo. He had 14 goals in 78 games last season, and has 10 this year. He's forever part of Penguin lore with his playoff performance and game winning goal in game 2 against San Jose. But I really think he's a fringe NHLer. Certainly not a core piece. They do like him, so they may bring him back. But it would be a short term, low AAV contract. I think they're more likely to bring back Rodrigues.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:14 pm

pens_CT wrote:Sprong could do one thing, shoot the puck. He was pretty useless at all other phases of the game. I agree that Poulin probably makes the team next year based on his ability to play up and down the lineup, and also since I doubt he can develop much more playing at the junior level.

Agreed ... I watched Sprong quite a few times when WBS came to Hershey. His shot was deadly on the PP left side circle. Even strength he was pretty meh. This year he played the last part of the season for Hershey. Basically rinse repeat.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins