Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Postby interstorm on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:54 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Ok, so if i understand everything …. the draft lottery is tonight and the Penguins could potentially be a team that wins the 1st overall pick but they wouldn't know it until they actually lose to the Canadians and the first elimination round is over???

Sort of crazy to hold this lottery before the elimination round. You will potentially have teams playing that know they could be one of the teams that will 'win' the first overall pick by 'losing' in the elimination round.

Unless I am completely misunderstanding how this thing works. Which is a very real possibility.

You got it just right - just a crazy way to do this. I don't know why they didn't just wait. So these kids will have to sit a little longer to know where they'll play but who knows when the 20-21 season will begin anyway. Would be REALLY interesting if all top 3 lottery winners went to the losers of the play-in round (or whatever they're calling it). Talk about conspiracy theories or teams tanking for a player. Some excellent talent at the top of this class that I'd be perfectly happy losing for that top spot (especially if player's hearts aren't totally into coming back anyway).
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:28 pm

The NHL....yeah, you can't make it up. It's honestly like they just chose the most bizarre and potentially corrupt method to go about it....
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:03 pm

This draft lottery is good news for the Pens, and not because they’re gunning for the first overall pick...but Montreal knows it’s not good enough to win the Cup...there’s a lot of incentive for them to roll over to the Pens in the play-in game to get a local kid in Lafreniere...they won’t have a better chance than 12.5% at a top player
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:53 am

Ericf wrote:This draft lottery is good news for the Pens, and not because they’re gunning for the first overall pick...but Montreal knows it’s not good enough to win the Cup...there’s a lot of incentive for them to roll over to the Pens in the play-in game to get a local kid in Lafreniere...they won’t have a better chance than 12.5% at a top player

The players on the ice won’t give a second of thought to the draft.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:36 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:
Ericf wrote:This draft lottery is good news for the Pens, and not because they’re gunning for the first overall pick...but Montreal knows it’s not good enough to win the Cup...there’s a lot of incentive for them to roll over to the Pens in the play-in game to get a local kid in Lafreniere...they won’t have a better chance than 12.5% at a top player

You don’t think MTL’s longstanding players like Price and Weber know this year’s team isn’t good enough to win 5 series and hoist the Cup? They certainly do....
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Regarding Carey Price I heard he is with family in Washington state. He isn't talking excited for this play off opportunity.
For the NHL theycant make any further delays. The guys who are training, how long before they think this end of season won't begin?
The draft, lame. Now on the radio folks are excited to get a pick. Playoffs-6th cup!!!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ericf on Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:08 pm

Here’s Molinari BTW on the issue of tanking in his article today about how ridiculous this draft lottery was:

“For the record, it is not players who "tank." Forget that most guys have to be ultra-competitive simply to reach the NHL; tanking would go against their self-interest, because it could allow their team to bring in a prospect who would be more of a threat to take an established player's job. No, "tanking" is orchestrated by the GMs who construct rosters and the coaches who decide which players to use, and when. Late in the 1983-84 season, for example, Johnson sent arguably his best player, defenseman Randy Carlyle, to Winnipeg for no immediate return, although he did get the Jets' first-rounder and a capable player-to-be-named (Moe Mantha) in the deal. He also recalled goalie Vincent Tremblay from the Penguins' farm team in Baltimore late in the season to "see what he can do," knowing full well that stopping pucks at the NHL level wasn't high on the list.”
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:30 pm

The biggest problem is that there was no good reason to hold the draft lottery before the pool of playoff vs non-playoff teams was known. This shouldn't be an issue because it never should have happened, much like the conclusion of this season...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Sigwolf wrote:The biggest problem is that there was no good reason to hold the draft lottery before the pool of playoff vs non-playoff teams was known. This shouldn't be an issue because it never should have happened, much like the conclusion of this season...

I have to say I am very much in agreement with you; especially in regards to your last statement.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Ericf wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:

You don’t think MTL’s longstanding players like Price and Weber know this year’s team isn’t good enough to win 5 series and hoist the Cup? They certainly do....

So you’re saying that Price and Weber are going to tank the playoffs for a 12.5% chance at a #1 draft pick?

And no, they won’t believe they have no chance to win. Any team entering a tournament style playoff knows they have a chance...
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Sigwolf wrote:The biggest problem is that there was no good reason to hold the draft lottery before the pool of playoff vs non-playoff teams was known. This shouldn't be an issue because it never should have happened, much like the conclusion of this season...

Totally, there was zero reason! There’s no other scenario I can think of other than the mystery #1 overall was planned and the upcoming controversy will just be publicity. Like I said before, the MLB looked totally pathetic there for awhile and the NHL had to one up them.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:39 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:

Totally, there was zero reason! There’s no other scenario I can think of other than the mystery #1 overall was planned and the upcoming controversy will just be publicity. Like I said before, the MLB looked totally pathetic there for awhile and the NHL had to one up them.

i swear all four major sports leagues are in a battle for the most stupid things they can do, just to have a conversation about their league.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Interesting feedback from Sportsnet reporter Eric Engels (via Twitter). He spoke to several players, and has anonymously shared some of their feedback.

1st response basically said that, this player believes about 75% of the players DO NOT want to return to play. Some of them are concerned about financial impact of not playing this summer, but, more are concerned about contracting the virus and/or serious injury before cramming in a 20-21 season.

2nd response said the NHLPA calls have been "a joke" and have only revolved around the financial aspect.

3rd response basically said everyone is likely going to vote yes. Players aren't going to opt out. Response just basically seemed to be if the move forward, they all move forward. They aren't going to let pockets here and there decide to opt out.

Feedback from all those Engels talked to, was they are ALL frustrated about being kept in the dark on how safe they will be if they resume play.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Interesting feedback from Sportsnet reporter Eric Engels (via Twitter). He spoke to several players, and has anonymously shared some of their feedback.

1st response basically said that, this player believes about 75% of the players DO NOT want to return to play. Some of them are concerned about financial impact of not playing this summer, but, more are concerned about contracting the virus and/or serious injury before cramming in a 20-21 season.

2nd response said the NHLPA calls have been "a joke" and have only revolved around the financial aspect.

3rd response basically said everyone is likely going to vote yes. Players aren't going to opt out. Response just basically seemed to be if the move forward, they all move forward. They aren't going to let pockets here and there decide to opt out.

Feedback from all those Engels talked to, was they are ALL frustrated about being kept in the dark on how safe they will be if they resume play.

You can understand the health concern, and also the issue of the players being isolated from their families. If they really want a near zero health risk from the virus then you better be prepared not to play until the 21-22 season because I don't see this going away until then. I also don't see the NHL starting next season playing in empty arena's and you would have to be wildly optimistic to assume they're going to be allowed fans to watch even if you push the start of the next season into January/February.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Interesting feedback from Sportsnet reporter Eric Engels (via Twitter). He spoke to several players, and has anonymously shared some of their feedback.

You can understand the health concern, and also the issue of the players being isolated from their families. If they really want a near zero health risk from the virus then you better be prepared not to play until the 21-22 season because I don't see this going away until then. I also don't see the NHL starting next season playing in empty arena's and you would have to be wildly optimistic to assume they're going to be allowed fans to watch even if you push the start of the next season into January/February.

I can fully understand why players would be hesitant to get back to work. In a contact sport like hockey, if someone gets infected, it will likely spread. And in a business where your livelihood depends on your ability to stay in top physical shape basically until you retire, the risk of permanent lung damage is a serious risk. While by all accounts, the players are not at high risk of death from this disease, there has been a lot of information out there about long-term damage to lung capacity and function stemming from this disease. If I had millions in potential earnings at risk, I would probably want to err on the side of caution as well... though I am sure the competitive side to these players is a strong motivating factor in the other direction.

Personally and selfishly, I would love to see some hockey again, but who knows how things will look in a month anyway. LGP.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:08 pm

My ideal lines:

I really don't care. Give me my hockey!
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:My ideal lines:

I really don't care. Give me my hockey!

:thumb: Happy Independence Day!

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:44 am

interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:39 pm

That's truly funny. :fist:
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 pm

More posts from r/hockey

1.0M members

r/hockey6du/[deleted]

NHL chooses Toronto as hub city due its fans having most experience watching other teams win

:lol:
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby interstorm on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:14 pm

ville5 wrote:

More posts from r/hockey

1.0M members

r/hockey6du/[deleted]

NHL chooses Toronto as hub city due its fans having most experience watching other teams win

:lol:

Yeah - that one has been kicked around a lot. Fair amount of Maple Leaf memes out there at the moment! All good...we can all use a good laugh these days.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:05 pm

RMNB
@russianmachine
·5m
The Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins will share a hotel during the playoffs

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2 ... -playoffs/

Strange befellows indeed! :lol: 8-) Funny.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:22 pm

penny lane wrote:RMNB
@russianmachine
·5m
The Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins will share a hotel during the playoffs

What room is Ovie staying in? We know what to do!

https://youtu.be/WG_Xzx_L0oE
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:46 am

interstorm wrote:
penny lane wrote:RMNB
@russianmachine
·5m

What room is Ovie staying in? We know what to do!

https://youtu.be/WG_Xzx_L0oE

Just made me think, “Ovechkin!”
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Zach Trotman will not be playing for the Penguins during the playoffs. Penguins are holding him out for precautionary reasons. I had suspected that maybe him not playing could have been due to his wife being pregnant, but Rutherford said he had been dealing with an issue and they were concerned about it flairing up while in the bubble.

I would think this gives POJ an even better chance to be on the playoff roster.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins