Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:28 pm

Antonio wrote:Am i the only one who just really doesn't care and already wrote the season off? I mean, if it returns, I'll watch the pens for sure but i would rather it all be done for the year.

I've been saying this from the beginning but my issues are with society being restricted and not allowed to work but non essential athletes can. Since we're starting to get back to normal I have less of an issue, though if a host city has things closed I think it would be bad.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Antonio wrote:Am i the only one who just really doesn't care and already wrote the season off? I mean, if it returns, I'll watch the pens for sure but i would rather it all be done for the year.

You are not the only one. I really don’t care at this point and part of me, as a purist, wouldn’t want the Pens to win a cup that will forever have an asterisk next to it.

I don’t think they will finish the season regardless though....
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 pm

I, too, am getting pessimistic about the chances of these playoffs actually happening. I'd prefer to have hockey to watch, but I won't be heartbroken if they don't play given the circumstances. It seems clear that we don't really have new infections under control (despite lots of people pretending otherwise). In the European countries that have successfully brought their soccer leagues back online, they're only seeing several hundred new cases a day. Granted, the US population is 4 or 5 times bigger than Germany, Spain, or Italy, but that means we would need to have 2000-3000 new cases per day nationwide for the situation to be comparable to those countries, not the 20,000-30,000 new cases we have now.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:

You are not the only one. I really don’t care at this point and part of me, as a purist, wouldn’t want the Pens to win a cup that will forever have an asterisk next to it.

I'm not sure why there would be an asterisk if the Pens win the Cup. They were a lock for the playoffs, and will have to win a full slate of playoff games PLUS an extra best of 5. This would be a great achievement, and one I would celebrate as robustly as any other Cup win. I also could definitely use a distraction, so I'm still hoping for a playoff season and a Cup win.

Now, if one of the teams that was going to miss the playoffs gets the Cup, that may be worthy of an asterisk.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:31 am

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:

I'm not sure why there would be an asterisk if the Pens win the Cup. They were a lock for the playoffs, and will have to win a full slate of playoff games PLUS an extra best of 5. This would be a great achievement, and one I would celebrate as robustly as any other Cup win. I also could definitely use a distraction, so I'm still hoping for a playoff season and a Cup win.

Now, if one of the teams that was going to miss the playoffs gets the Cup, that may be worthy of an asterisk.

I get that viewpoint, mine is just different. We shouldn't have had Jake for the playoffs and we were limping in on fumes when play was halted...Now kicking back off is almost like an entire new season where teams will be rusty and the format is skewed...For those reasons, I'd give anyone who wins an asterisk, but I get it that you view it as a great accomplishment....That's fine

I fully believe, based on the format and circumstances, there will be plenty of upsets and wouldn't be surprised in the least if what you mentioned (a potential non-playoff team winning the Cup) actually happens.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:36 am

I dont agree with the asterisk either. Every team is on a level playing field.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:16 pm

What we don't know is which players care, which don't and which ones just want to get home to their families. No mattet what happens, this post season will be different. Different for all, yell, but different. I'd rather them just focus on having as normal a 20-21 season as possible even if that means these (different) playoffs are dropped.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:21 pm

According to Dave Molinari, Penguins were just informed they WILL NOT be one of the NHL Hub Cities.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Just a general question to the board, what is the idea of time when games will be played/aired on TV?

The NHL has already said they would be ok with two teams in the west being hubs but how do you play games? Would we have to watch Pens games at 8pm/9pm at night? Will they host games during the day a la olympic style? They almost have to have multiple games per day with only having one arena no?
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:18 pm

FLPensFan wrote:According to Dave Molinari, Penguins were just informed they WILL NOT be one of the NHL Hub Cities.

We knew Vegas was one and it was obvious the NHL wanted the other city to be in Canada.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Just a general question to the board, what is the idea of time when games will be played/aired on TV?

The NHL has already said they would be ok with two teams in the west being hubs but how do you play games? Would we have to watch Pens games at 8pm/9pm at night? Will they host games during the day a la olympic style? They almost have to have multiple games per day with only having one arena no?

Unless I missed it, gametime scenarios haven't been shared, but I'd certainly expect multiple games per day. I'm curious to see how they slot the teams and handle it throughout but I would assume whatever time the Pens get slotted will stay, for the most part? I mean it's the NHL, so you never know, but shifting the games 3+ hours every other game, or something like that, would seem like a bad idea. I'd imagine TV will dictate the times of the games they want to show, and the NHL will have to slot the others around those.

If they do mess with the player internal clocks by moving them all over the place (time-wise), just another line item to go with my asterisk POV.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Just a general question to the board, what is the idea of time when games will be played/aired on TV?

Unless I missed it, gametime scenarios haven't been shared, but I'd certainly expect multiple games per day. I'm curious to see how they slot the teams and handle it throughout but I would assume whatever time the Pens get slotted will stay, for the most part? I mean it's the NHL, so you never know, but shifting the games 3+ hours every other game, or something like that, would seem like a bad idea. I'd imagine TV will dictate the times of the games they want to show, and the NHL will have to slot the others around those.

If they do mess with the player internal clocks by moving them all over the place (time-wise), just another line item to go with my asterisk POV.

On the other hand, this stupid virus cancelled March madness, so I wouldn't mind a few days where I could turn on the TV at any time and have a sporting event to watch.

That said, I would expect them to try to keep the games mostly to the evenings on the weekdays and keep starting times pretty uniform for the various teams.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:21 pm

Another sign~ pens only win their cups on the road.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hatrick on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:36 pm

For the first round (and probably the second round) they will have to play three games per location per day. So the problem is if they play at 12pm, 4pm, 8pm eastern time for the east coast hub it works for fans. But that means players would be playing at 9am local time. Maybe if instead of 12/4/8 they do 3pm, 6pm, 9pm. If the west coast hub is actually in the pacific time zone that is easier for them to sync(if they play at 11pm eastern its still only 8pm local).
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:56 am

Are they definitely only using one sheet per location? Dunno about Vegas but Toronto has multiple sheets up to par to support more games.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GJ on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Vegas also has the Orleans arena where the Wranglers used to play.
GJ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Has anyone thought much about the style of hockey we are going to see? If players are going to be wary of getting in each others faces much, then you will probably see less scrums and player interaction. That could emphasize skating and leave more room out there and that would play to the strength of the Penguins.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:03 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Has anyone thought much about the style of hockey we are going to see? If players are going to be wary of getting in each others faces much, then you will probably see less scrums and player interaction. That could emphasize skating and leave more room out there and that would play to the strength of the Penguins.

I may be wrong, but, while I think overall the players may be concerned about COVID-19, I think once they get on the ice against competition, I'm not really expecting to see much difference in style of play. Maybe I'm being naive, but, I think these guys will just play hockey like they always do.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Has anyone thought much about the style of hockey we are going to see? If players are going to be wary of getting in each others faces much, then you will probably see less scrums and player interaction. That could emphasize skating and leave more room out there and that would play to the strength of the Penguins.

I may be wrong, but, while I think overall the players may be concerned about COVID-19, I think once they get on the ice against competition, I'm not really expecting to see much difference in style of play. Maybe I'm being naive, but, I think these guys will just play hockey like they always do.

I think the competitive juices kick in. By the time the qualifying round starts, they'll have 3 weeks of camp and an exhibition game behind them. Any players who are apprehensive at that point will likely fail. It will be interesting to see if any players decline to play, which I'm sure is their right. I will expect less scrums, and much less tolerance for them. It might be a pleasant change and speed games up.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:10 am

Here's a question. Under normal circumstances, players are not permitted to wear a full shield unless they have medical clearance. There was some discussion about having players wear them, but they're not focusing on any equipment mandates. But will they allow a player to wear the full shield? In a strange sense, it gives hockey an advantage. Just by their nature, they would assist in slowing any spread. It may make a player more comfortable.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:11 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I think the competitive juices kick in. By the time the qualifying round starts, they'll have 3 weeks of camp and an exhibition game behind them. Any players who are apprehensive at that point will likely fail. It will be interesting to see if any players decline to play, which I'm sure is their right. I will expect less scrums, and much less tolerance for them. It might be a pleasant change and speed games up.

I like how the league is looking into ways to visually enhance the games. They might even use those data tracking devices on players that tell you their speed and other items like that.

As far as the level of play, I expect these guys will put it all out there. I always wondered if players do certain things "for show" for the crowd, especially when getting in players faces. It should be interesting.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:25 pm

no name wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I like how the league is looking into ways to visually enhance the games. They might even use those data tracking devices on players that tell you their speed and other items like that.

As far as the level of play, I expect these guys will put it all out there. I always wondered if players do certain things "for show" for the crowd, especially when getting in players faces. It should be interesting.

I think any sports return is going to get a surge in viewing attendance, just because so many sports have yet to start back up...but in hockey's case, I think if they can find a way to get the data tracking in place for the playoffs and on their broadcasts, that might create some additional excitement.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
no name wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I think any sports return is going to get a surge in viewing attendance, just because so many sports have yet to start back up...but in hockey's case, I think if they can find a way to get the data tracking in place for the playoffs and on their broadcasts, that might create some additional excitement.

On the Tim and Sid broadcast they had the idea on using those slide cameras like the NFL uses, to show the action above the play. Since no fans would be in the stands they could try that. That sounded interesting. I wonder if they will have only national broadcasters, or would each team bring their own house announcers. It might be neat is we can hear the players on the ice and what they say to one another.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:06 pm

They should have had biometric and data tracking down n place years ago so I won’t hold my breath.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Ok, so if i understand everything …. the draft lottery is tonight and the Penguins could potentially be a team that wins the 1st overall pick but they wouldn't know it until they actually lose to the Canadians and the first elimination round is over???

Sort of crazy to hold this lottery before the elimination round. You will potentially have teams playing that know they could be one of the teams that will 'win' the first overall pick by 'losing' in the elimination round.

Unless I am completely misunderstanding how this thing works. Which is a very real possibility.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins