Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 27, 2020 11:18 pm

Figured I'd start a thread to talk about some of the specifics of this series. I'll start with the injury front:

--For the Penguins, they will be without Nick Bjugstad and Dominik Simon. Guentzel is still rehabbing, but GMJR sounds optimistic he will be available.

--For the Canadians, they MIGHT be without Maxi Domi per DK Sports/ Canadian GM Marc Bergevin. Apparently, Bergevin said on a conference call Domi could miss the playoffs due to being a Type 1 diabetic. There is no immediate issue, however, there are concerns that exposure to coronavirus would be harder to fight off due to diabetes (elevated blood sugar weakens immune system). NHL is handling several different player health issues of this type (guys with asthma or respiratory issues) on a case by case basis.

--Jonathan Drouin missed last 5 games for Canadians but is expected to play in the playoffs. Defenseman Victor Mete's status is unclear. He broke his foot on February 18th, and went back home. Bergevin says he has been doing rehab, but, he's not in Montreal so, until Canadians doctors can examine him and see where he is in his progress, they can't confirm his status. (Broken foot mid-February....I would say he SHOULD be a go).
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu May 28, 2020 8:39 am

I think from the Pens injury front really only loss is Simon. I never expected Bjustad to play again this year and probably never will again wear a Penguins sweater. I think with the Simon injury that is why you got Marleau/Rodrigues. One of those two can easily be inserted onto the 3rd line and I'd roll with this:

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev
Extras: Lafferty and Rodrigues

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:I think from the Pens injury front really only loss is Simon. I never expected Bjustad to play again this year and probably never will again wear a Penguins sweater. I think with the Simon injury that is why you got Marleau/Rodrigues. One of those two can easily be inserted onto the 3rd line and I'd roll with this:

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

So if the roster limit is 28, do you roll with the 22 above and Ruhwedel, Riikola, Trotman, DeSmith, Angello and ??? I saw somewhere that Kingerski suggested going with Poullin.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 28, 2020 9:33 am

Steve Dave wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:I think from the Pens injury front really only loss is Simon. I never expected Bjustad to play again this year and probably never will again wear a Penguins sweater. I think with the Simon injury that is why you got Marleau/Rodrigues. One of those two can easily be inserted onto the 3rd line and I'd roll with this:

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

So if the roster limit is 28, do you roll with the 22 above and Ruhwedel, Riikola, Trotman, DeSmith, Angello and ??? I saw somewhere that Kingerski suggested going with Poullin.

Yeah, I mentioned the Poulin thing from Kingerski. If he can be on the roster without burning a year of his ELC, then I say do it. But right now, I don't see a spot for him in the lineup unless you are going to sit Sheary and thrust him into a 1st line role. It would probably take an injury to one of the top 9 wingers for him to possibly get inserted into the lineup.

I'd probably add POJ as an extra defenseman as well. Hopefully he's been sitting at home working out and eating 20,000 calories a day to put some weight back on.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 am

I wonder if any of them found ice to skate since March. I don't need to know and start a thing though. 8-)
It must be the longest to go without skating. I think Hornqvist and Pettersson found ice in Sweden.

About the series. I can't remember Zucker playing with Evgeni except on a power play. They will need the summer 2020 camp to get the feel of each other. I hope ZAR is ready to go. That line was great.

I have forgotten the guys from Buffalo. :face: :oops:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Thu May 28, 2020 10:07 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

Yeah, I mentioned the Poulin thing from Kingerski. If he can be on the roster without burning a year of his ELC, then I say do it. But right now, I don't see a spot for him in the lineup unless you are going to sit Sheary and thrust him into a 1st line role. It would probably take an injury to one of the top 9 wingers for him to possibly get inserted into the lineup.

I'd probably add POJ as an extra defenseman as well. Hopefully he's been sitting at home working out and eating 20,000 calories a day to put some weight back on.

I was also thinking about Nick Johnson and DiPauli.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 28, 2020 10:29 am

Steve Dave wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

I was also thinking about Nick Johnson and DiPauli.

I think Nick Johnson is a little past his prime and was never very good....but Adam Johnson, sure. :wink: :lol:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 am

penny lane wrote:I wonder if any of them found ice to skate since March. I don't need to know and start a thing though. 8-)
It must be the longest to go without skating. I think Hornqvist and Pettersson found ice in Sweden.

About the series. I can't remember Zucker playing with Evgeni except on a power play. They will need the summer 2020 camp to get the feel of each other. I hope ZAR is ready to go. That line was great.

I have forgotten the guys from Buffalo. :face: :oops:

Ice seems hard to find. I think some have those plasticy slide board to at least do some side to side stuff. Tanev ordered roller blades and has been using that in place of skating. A little different feel, but still gets most of the same muscles involved as skating on the ice. Hopefully others did the same.

Zucker and Malkin played a whopping 10 minutes together (Zucker spent another 210 minutes with other lines) at 5v5 play.

I haven't heard anything about ZAR being a question.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu May 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing Jake with Geno and Rust again. Those three were magic.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu May 28, 2020 1:31 pm

So, is this technically a playoff series? If the Pens lose, does the Zucker trade include a first rounder this year, or not? Also, would points scored in this series count as playoff points or regular season points for career stats? Would this round be in consideration for Conn Smythe? Hart? Art Ross?

So many questions, but man, would I love to have some hockey to watch.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:So, is this technically a playoff series? If the Pens lose, does the Zucker trade include a first rounder this year, or not? Also, would points scored in this series count as playoff points or regular season points for career stats? Also, would this round be in consideration for Conn Smythe? Hart? Art Ross?

So, my understanding is technically, this would not be playoffs. My understanding from what Dejan had posted in an article was that if the Penguins were to lose, that would mean they didn't make the playoffs and would have a chance at a lottery pick, so the Zucker 1st rounder would revert to the 2021 draft.

I believe all the awards (aside from Conn Smythe) were announced.

As for regular season or playoff stats, not sure how those would be done or where these stats would be added.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:So, is this technically a playoff series? If the Pens lose, does the Zucker trade include a first rounder this year, or not? Also, would points scored in this series count as playoff points or regular season points for career stats? Would this round be in consideration for Conn Smythe? Hart? Art Ross?

So many questions, but man, would I love to have some hockey to watch.

That's still a question, but i wouldn't consider this a playoff series. I think it's more of a play in series to get to the playoffs.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

I think you can add Poulin to the 3rd line LW because I think of his game as more of a grinder type who can play up and down the lineup. He isn't a Sprong type of player who's only an asset when he has the puck on his stick.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
As for regular season or playoff stats, not sure how those would be done or where these stats would be added.

There are going to be some major statistical asterisks for this, I suppose. I can't imagine the NHL would count this as regular season points, especially if they have already handed out the Art Ross. Maybe these "non" playoff games will count for career playoff points but not season playoff points?
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

I'm gonna say

Zucker Crosby Guentzel
Marleau Malkin Rust
Sheary McCann Hornqvist
ZAR Bleuger Tanev

Dumoulin Letang
Petterssen Schultz
JJ Marino

Murray
Jarry
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 28, 2020 5:15 pm

Players informed today that Phase 3 (training camps) won't happen until sometime after July 10th. Means hockey likely doesn't start until August.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Abcpens10 on Thu May 28, 2020 7:17 pm

I dont understand why it cant start sooner
Abcpens10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby flame on Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Players informed today that Phase 3 (training camps) won't happen until sometime after July 10th. Means hockey likely doesn't start until August.

They want roughly 3 weeks of training camp apparently. I think something like this would be a reasonable idea.
July 10 - 28 - camp. July 29 travel. July 30 - each team gets one exhibition game on this date. July 31 - practice August 1 - Play in series start

I haven't heard any talk about a potential exhibition game for each team but it seems easily doable and I don't see why any team wouldn't want to have one exhibition game before everything starts, and it doesn't seem too difficult to pull off.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm

Steve Dave wrote:

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

I did read that suggestion as well, I am not sure if it would burn a year a la Sprong, if so its an automatic no from me. If it does not, then even if I don't think he would get into the lineup it wouldn't hurt just to experience it.

As for Simon, even if healthy I probably would not have had him in the lineup anyway, the only one I might put him in over is sheary. Zero chance that I would sit anybody else out for him.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri May 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

I'd be tempted to keep Zucker with Crosby since they seemed to be clicking pretty good. Put Guentz with Malkin since they have worked in the past.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

So, here's my beef. The Pens, who were battling for at least #2 division and were at one time fighting for top spot in the NHL have been relegated to a play in round against a team that wouldn't have even qualified for the playoffs when this whole pandemic shut it down. How is that fair? Are they that desperate to keep Montreal fans happy?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri May 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Pitts wrote:So, here's my beef. The Pens, who were battling for at least #2 division and were at one time fighting for top spot in the NHL have been relegated to a play in round against a team that wouldn't have even qualified for the playoffs when this whole pandemic shut it down. How is that fair? Are they that desperate to keep Montreal fans happy?

No system to return is perfect. The Penguins have nobody but themselves to blame by playing some miserable hockey just before they shut down play which put them in this play in round. With that said i think being put into this best of five gives them an advantage when they get to the playoffs (assuming they win) over other teams just playing round robin games.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri May 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Pitts wrote:

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - MCann - Horny
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Letang - Dumo
Schultz - Marino
Petterson - Johnson

Jarry
Murray

I'd be tempted to keep Zucker with Crosby since they seemed to be clicking pretty good. Put Guentz with Malkin since they have worked in the past.

I tend to agree with you, just for the simple fact that Zucker spent very little time Malkin, however, while nothing is written in stone, in several interviews Sullivan seemed to strongly indicate Guentzel will be with Crosby, and Rust will be with Malkin. There was also heavy inference that Sullivan would recreate the Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary line that was successful in Sheary's prior Penguins stint.

I think the team has a good healthy lineup, but there are some concerns if a top 4 LD or a top 6 winger were to go down. This is why I hope POJ and even Poulin are considered for the Black Aces. Even though he was a bit under weight, POJ earned rave reviews in WBS and is probably a better LD candidate than Riikola at this point. Poulin is likely the best candidate to replace a skilled winger due to injury, rather than just filling the spot.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 pm

Pitts wrote:So, here's my beef. The Pens, who were battling for at least #2 division and were at one time fighting for top spot in the NHL have been relegated to a play in round against a team that wouldn't have even qualified for the playoffs when this whole pandemic shut it down. How is that fair? Are they that desperate to keep Montreal fans happy?

Montreal and the other couple of undeserving teams yes they were desperate to keep them happy.

Also the person at the NHL is who responsible for playoff format ideas is dumb(As seen by the regular format they were using)
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat May 30, 2020 7:29 am

A couple of weeks ago there were articles by both Yohe and Molinari about Sullivan saying Guentzel with Crosby. They both got the same answer, but they intrepreted it differently. Yohe logically concluded that Zucker would play with Malkin. Which I questioned because of their limited time together. It was also made clear by both that Rust was wed to Malkin. But Molinari carried it through a bit more, perhaps reading into things. Both agreed that Sully didn't commit to which side Jake would play. Molinari had quotes from Sully agreeing that Marleau was a candidate to play with Malkin, as a few others were. I've warmed up to the idea.

The injuries have taken a little of their depth away. Eliminating Simon and Bjugstad took away a number of options if nothing else. We now know McCann is the 3C, and Simon won't be playing with Sid. It's logical to look at Sheary with Sid. But moving Jake to the right side has worked in brief spurts before. If he sustains that, it gives Sid his best line since having Kunitz and Dupuis in their primes.

Personally, I don't mind Marleau with Geno and Rust. He's far past his prime, but he was no ordinary player. He can still skate, and gives Geno plenty of speed on both sides. I'm less worried about his age in a tournament format. The Pens need to win 19 games to win the Cup. If he can play there and be effective, it would give the Pens a formidable top two lines.

Another option besides Marleau is Sheary. Who probably is the player with the most to gain or lose, depending on their decision to play Jake on the left or the right. If Jake stays at LW, Sheary likely slots in with Sid on the right side. And his perceived competition in Simon has been eliminated. But if Jake moves to the right side, Sheary becomes either the 2 or 3 LW. I think Marleau has a lot more to offer, even at his age, than Sheary playing with Malkin. Conor is a streaky goal scorer at his best, but brings very little if he's not scoring.

That third line is where the biggest questions are. McCann looks like the C, and Hornqvist is the RW. Logic suggests Sheary goes here if he's not in the top 6. I'm not trying to bash Sheary, but he is what he is. A guy who is a nice top 6 complementary winger, periodically. Also disappears at times. Can play either wing. Is he on the 2nd PP? I doubt it. Would he fit on a 3rd line with MaCann and Horny? His chief competition may come from Rodrigues.

Rodrigues played his best games right before the stoppage. A very small sample size. But offers added versatility. He could easily drop to a 4th line. Sheary couldn't fit there. You want to keep the 4th line intact after the season they had, but we know from HBK how fickle that can be. Rodrigues has the ability to play any of the 3 forward positions. Meaning Bleuger, Tanev, and ZAR could all be moved to the 3rd line. Or maybe Rodrigues complements the 3rd line perfectly. He looked good killing penalties, so he adds to that. Which you'd like to get from a 3rd liner. He should at least be part of the conversation. He could be a valuable piece. I can see a few plusses where any of the guys on the 4th line could plug into the 3rd line. Rodrigues gives you that versatility.

As far as the format, it is what it is. The Canadians can give teams fit with their speed, and Cary Price can be scary. But the Pens are the better team. There is no precedent for this. There's no home crowd. There's no momentum. I think 5 games is long enough. Realistically, although the Habs may give them a few fits, I'd expect the Pens to win that series in 4.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins