Pens 2020 - 2021 Season Roster

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Pens 2020 - 2021 Season Roster

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon May 04, 2020 11:35 am

Thoughts?

Kept the cap flat from this year to next season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1723347
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pens 2020 - 2021 Season Roster

Postby Ericf on Mon May 04, 2020 2:29 pm

I don’t see Murray agreeing to a 5 year $5 mil per year contract. He’s lookin to get at least $6.5 mil per on a long term deal, at least Hellebuyck money. Maybe $5 mil on a one year deal to take him to free agency. I also don’t see Simon, who played a large stretch of the season on the first line, agreeing to a contract that low when he’d get more in arbitration. It’ll probably take $2 mil to re-sign him.

But I do see that as the likely roster minus the third pair RD
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon May 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Ericf wrote:I don’t see Murray agreeing to a 5 year $5 mil per year contract. He’s lookin to get at least $6.5 mil per on a long term deal, at least Hellebuyck money. Maybe $5 mil on a one year deal to take him to free agency. I also don’t see Simon, who played a large stretch of the season on the first line, agreeing to a contract that low when he’d get more in arbitration. It’ll probably take $2 mil to re-sign him.

I think if they sign Murray and Jarry they’ll lose one for nothing after next season. I can’t see JR trading either of them during the season.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Mon May 04, 2020 5:25 pm

Daniel wrote:
Ericf wrote:I don’t see Murray agreeing to a 5 year $5 mil per year contract. He’s lookin to get at least $6.5 mil per on a long term deal, at least Hellebuyck money. Maybe $5 mil on a one year deal to take him to free agency. I also don’t see Simon, who played a large stretch of the season on the first line, agreeing to a contract that low when he’d get more in arbitration. It’ll probably take $2 mil to re-sign him.

I think if they sign Murray and Jarry they’ll lose one for nothing after next season. I can’t see JR trading either of them during the season.

Agree unless Murray is mediocre again and they may try trading him next year for a lesser return...but it sounds like JR wants to kick the goalie decision down the road one more year since they didn’t get to see Murray in the playoffs and the draft may be held before any decision on continuing the season occurs, so they wouldn’t be able to trade one of them at the draft...so one of Murray or Jarry would either be exposed to Seattle or will leave in free agency...not an ideal situation but you can thank the pandemic
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Ericf wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Agree unless Murray is mediocre again and they may try trading him next year for a lesser return...but it sounds like JR wants to kick the goalie decision down the road one more year since they didn’t get to see Murray in the playoffs and the draft may be held before any decision on continuing the season occurs, so they wouldn’t be able to trade one of them at the draft...so one of Murray or Jarry would either be exposed to Seattle or will leave in free agency...not an ideal situation but you can thank the pandemic

I have a feeling Murray will be traded at the draft if JR can get a good return. I think it'd have to be 3 assets, mid 1st round pick, good prospect, young NHL player. Maybe 2 assets if the pick and prospect are better, but you get my drift. If he can't get a top return what's the point of trading him since trading him for peanuts won't help much?

Jarry has won the Memorial Cup so the pedigree is there. While I know it's not the Stanley Cup it is still good pedigree, especially since he did nothing last season to show doubt. Murray is about the same age, has regressed a bit, and will probably be 2 or 3 times the salary.

I see both sides of this argument but I've always felt Jarry has the better upside and now it seems he's starting to realize it. The only thing keeping either goalie from getting a significant return is the expansion draft next year. GMs know that JR will have to move one or lose one. Hopefully enough GMs can either see Jarry's potential or Murray's cup history and create a bidding war. There are plenty of teams that are a goalie away (Edm/Cal) from doing playoff damage and a lot of teams that could use a young goalie (Buf/Det) so I think JR could build the assets. Whether he wants to is something we'll find out soon enough.

Of course we'll discuss it for 2 months and go into next season with both goalies. :fist:
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Mon May 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Daniel wrote:
Ericf wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I have a feeling Murray will be traded at the draft if JR can get a good return. I think it'd have to be 3 assets, mid 1st round pick, good prospect, young NHL player. Maybe 2 assets if the pick and prospect are better, but you get my drift. If he can't get a top return what's the point of trading him since trading him for peanuts won't help much?

Jarry has won the Memorial Cup so the pedigree is there. While I know it's not the Stanley Cup it is still good pedigree, especially since he did nothing last season to show doubt. Murray is about the same age, has regressed a bit, and will probably be 2 or 3 times the salary.

I see both sides of this argument but I've always felt Jarry has the better upside and now it seems he's starting to realize it. The only thing keeping either goalie from getting a significant return is the expansion draft next year. GMs know that JR will have to move one or lose one. Hopefully enough GMs can either see Jarry's potential or Murray's cup history and create a bidding war. There are plenty of teams that are a goalie away (Edm/Cal) from doing playoff damage and a lot of teams that could use a young goalie (Buf/Det) so I think JR could build the assets. Whether he wants to is something we'll find out soon enough.

Of course we'll discuss it for 2 months and go into next season with both goalies. :fist:

If the NHL goes forward with a June draft before the season is over then it complicates a Murray trade. Also if they play until September to finish the playoffs and you're talking about a compressed 20-21 season then its going to be even more important to have two goalies to split the season. If Murray is moved, I guess the question is whether DeSmith is the type of goalie that you want to play 35 to 40 games in the season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Mon May 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Yeah, there’s no way Murray gets traded if there’s a June draft....
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Ericf wrote:Yeah, there’s no way Murray gets traded if there’s a June draft....

Well a trade would have to be for a prospect(s) and/or 2021 pick.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Mon May 04, 2020 10:32 pm

There is always a way. If Buffalo offers Ristolainen a 2020-21 1st and a mid range prospect, JR would be foolish to say no. Not saying that Buffalo would offer that kind of a package, but when was the last time they had a good young goalie? Barrasso (not counting Hasek since he was in his late 20s)?

They've been on the cusp of making the playoffs and next season might be their last chance. If they feel Murray is the difference between playoffs or losing your job, I think Botterill will overpay a bit.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 pm

They won’t put themselves in a position for the resumption of the 2019-20 season or playoffs with only Jarry as a potential starting goalie...that’s why I say Murray wouldn’t get traded at the June draft...it has nothing to do with the return on any trade...now if the season is completed and the draft is held after that, then maybe
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 pm

Daniel wrote:

There is always a way. If Buffalo offers Ristolainen a 2020-21 1st and a mid range prospect, JR would be foolish to say no. Not saying that Buffalo would offer that kind of a package, but when was the last time they had a good young goalie? Barrasso (not counting Hasek since he was in his late 20s)?

They've been on the cusp of making the playoffs and next season might be their last chance. If they feel Murray is the difference between playoffs or losing your job, I think Botterill will overpay a bit.

You're assuming Botterill will be there at the end of this season, not sure that is happening. They could certainly use a RH defensemen coming back in such a trade, I doubt they want one currently making 5+ million like Ristolainen.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Mon May 04, 2020 11:52 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:

You're assuming Botterill will be there at the end of this season, not sure that is happening. They could certainly use a RH defensemen coming back in such a trade, I doubt they want one currently making 5+ million like Ristolainen.

I have a feeling all GM/coaches will be given a pass because of this pandemic.

Ristolainen's $5M really just replaces Schultz. Murray gives them $3.75 and I see no reason to sign Sheary or tender Rodrigues, so that's another $5M. The cap is always tight for the Penguins and I can see them making it work, especially if they can trade Bjugstad.

I doubt that a trade involving Murray for Ristolainen plus happens, but stranger things have happened and it was more the point of a really nice offer swaying JR to trade Murray.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Mon May 04, 2020 11:58 pm

Ericf wrote:They won’t put themselves in a position for the resumption of the 2019-20 season or playoffs with only Jarry as a potential starting goalie...that’s why I say Murray wouldn’t get traded at the June draft...it has nothing to do with the return on any trade...now if the season is completed and the draft is held after that, then maybe

Now I understand your point. Mine was presuming a cancellation of the season, which is looking pretty likely in my opinion. I can't see a scenario where owners agree to play games with no fans, just no revenue in it.

Maybe a handful of sites, but it's a huge expense to freeze ice. I can't really see a realistic way the NHL can make any kind of money. I think they'd lose more money trying to play games than to just cancel the season.

Do you honestly see a way the NHL can make any kind of revenue by ending the season with no fans?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 am

How about this trade scenario with Murray going to Leafs for Kapi and prospect Goalie:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1724500
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 am

Just want to make note...I feel with the weird timing of this season ending (if it happens) and shortened next season sets up GMJR to do a short two year contract for Murray and Jarry to try to win over next two years than moves on post 2021 season.

Which coincidentally is an expansion draft year so maybe Fluery part duex.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 05, 2020 9:55 am

Daniel wrote:
Ericf wrote:They won’t put themselves in a position for the resumption of the 2019-20 season or playoffs with only Jarry as a potential starting goalie...that’s why I say Murray wouldn’t get traded at the June draft...it has nothing to do with the return on any trade...now if the season is completed and the draft is held after that, then maybe

Now I understand your point. Mine was presuming a cancellation of the season, which is looking pretty likely in my opinion. I can't see a scenario where owners agree to play games with no fans, just no revenue in it.

Maybe a handful of sites, but it's a huge expense to freeze ice. I can't really see a realistic way the NHL can make any kind of money. I think they'd lose more money trying to play games than to just cancel the season.

Do you honestly see a way the NHL can make any kind of revenue by ending the season with no fans?

Everything I read has the NHL trying to finish the NHL season in some format no matter what. They seem pretty insistent on finishing the regular season, and then the playoffs. The NHL is also extremely insistent (with almost unanimous opposition from GMS) to holding the draft in June. The NHL stupidly thinks it can capitalize on the success of the NFL draft if they continue to hold their in June.

--The NHL draft is not and never will be anywhere close in popularity to the NFL draft. I'd shocked if the NHL draft could pull in a quarter of the viewers NFL draft did.

--A big reason for that, besides is the impact players in the respective drafts have. NFL draft, every 1st rounder is expected to make their team and be a starter. NHL draft, you are lucky if more than 5 of the 31 first rounders make their team. NFL draft, rounds 2-4 probably have 80% success rate of making their team. NHL draft, you are probably looking at 3% or lower of rounds 2-4 making the NHL roster. Would guess roughly 40% for NFL rounds 5-7, and less than 1% for NHL rounds 5-7. There just isn't as big of impact with the NHL draft on the coming year roster.

--I'm a huge NHL fan. I've gotten more involved with learning prospects ahead of the draft in recent years but, quite honestly, my team isn't picking in the lottery. In round 1, I'm watching because I'm more interested in league trades. Those are going to be few and far between with a June draft this year. Trades are made to shuffle the roster and often to shuffle cap space. Can't make trades involving players still needing to play games to finish out the 2019-2020 season, and that is a problem. After Round 1 is over, I sometimes leave the TV on in the background, waiting for a Penguins pick, but paying very little attention to the draft at that point.

As usual, I think the NHL is missing on reality when it comes to having a June draft.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue May 05, 2020 10:06 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

--The NHL draft is not and never will be anywhere close in popularity to the NFL draft. I'd shocked if the NHL draft could pull in a quarter of the viewers NFL draft did.

-- In round 1, I'm watching because I'm more interested in league trades. Those are going to be few and far between with a June draft this year. Trades are made to shuffle the roster and often to shuffle cap space.

As usual, I think the NHL is missing on reality when it comes to having a June draft.

I doubt a NHL draft in June draws 10% of the viewership of the NFL draft, so I think you're being extremely generous with 25%.

In order for the NHL to have trades at a June draft, wouldn't they have to institute another "trade deadline", because the season wouldn't be over when this June draft occurs?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue May 05, 2020 10:08 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Everything I read has the NHL trying to finish the NHL season in some format no matter what. They seem pretty insistent on finishing the regular season, and then the playoffs. The NHL is also extremely insistent (with almost unanimous opposition from GMS) to holding the draft in June. The NHL stupidly thinks it can capitalize on the success of the NFL draft if they continue to hold their in June.

--A big reason for that, besides is the impact players in the respective drafts have. NFL draft, every 1st rounder is expected to make their team and be a starter. NHL draft, you are lucky if more than 5 of the 31 first rounders make their team. NFL draft, rounds 2-4 probably have 80% success rate of making their team. NHL draft, you are probably looking at 3% or lower of rounds 2-4 making the NHL roster. Would guess roughly 40% for NFL rounds 5-7, and less than 1% for NHL rounds 5-7. There just isn't as big of impact with the NHL draft on the coming year roster.

--I'm a huge NHL fan. I've gotten more involved with learning prospects ahead of the draft in recent years but, quite honestly, my team isn't picking in the lottery. In round 1, I'm watching because I'm more interested in league trades. Those are going to be few and far between with a June draft this year. Trades are made to shuffle the roster and often to shuffle cap space. Can't make trades involving players still needing to play games to finish out the 2019-2020 season, and that is a problem. After Round 1 is over, I sometimes leave the TV on in the background, waiting for a Penguins pick, but paying very little attention to the draft at that point.

I think the best situation for the NHL is to do the following:

End of May: All teams players back together and practicing.

June: Finish out the Regular season. Forget exhibition games unless teams are ok playing 10 games in regular season and maybe 3 exhibition games.

July - August: Playoffs

September: Draft/FA day

October - December 15th: Summer break.

December 16th: Kickoff 2021 season. I think they need to start in 2020 due to tv rights no?
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue May 05, 2020 10:12 am

I would also add the best way for the NHL to capitalize on possibly being the only game in town is for regular season games put critical standing games on national tv and everything else fall to local outlets.

I think playoffs you do old school 5 game series 1st round and 7 games rest of the rounds.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

-- In round 1, I'm watching because I'm more interested in league trades. Those are going to be few and far between with a June draft this year. Trades are made to shuffle the roster and often to shuffle cap space.

I doubt a NHL draft in June draws 10% of the viewership of the NFL draft, so I think you're being extremely generous with 25%.

In order for the NHL to have trades at a June draft, wouldn't they have to institute another "trade deadline", because the season wouldn't be over when this June draft occurs?

No, I just think you aren't going to be able to see many trades because, who wants to trade a big name off their roster in June when they need them for the playoffs that have yet to finish?

Some teams are mad, Minnesota for example, at the fact that the season hasn't finished, and won't before the draft, so they could be stuck with picking much lower than they would if they finished the season. I think Minnesota is currently 26th in the draft order by today's standings, but, if they won some games, maybe they move up 5-8 spots in the draft order. Not possibly with a June draft before season is finished.

The NHL's reasoning is $$$ and "popularity." Both, IMO, are greatly overestimated by Bettman, and a June draft does more damage to teams for next year.

"Hey guys, sorry about the pandemic, but the cap is going to be flat or lower next year. Sorry" :face:
"Oh, and by the way, we are finishing the season and playoffs, and holding the draft in June before we finish. Good luck with trades and getting cap compliant for next season." :shock: :cry:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I think the best situation for the NHL is to do the following:

End of May: All teams players back together and practicing.

June: Finish out the Regular season. Forget exhibition games unless teams are ok playing 10 games in regular season and maybe 3 exhibition games.

July - August: Playoffs

September: Draft/FA day

October - December 15th: Summer break.

December 16th: Kickoff 2021 season. I think they need to start in 2020 due to tv rights no?

October - December is much too long of a break. Offseason break will be condensed, just like the regular season next year.

One big item with next season though is still the fans return. I've heard NHL owners are ok with no fans for regular season and playoffs this year because 85% of the season was over, BUT, a large number of owners say they would lose less money by just not playing games at all next season, versus playing them without fans.

And, to restart the current season, I have yet to hear how the NHL plans to deal with the fact that the US-Canadian border is still closed. So, not sure how you get your Canadian players back across the border to play neutral site games this season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 05, 2020 10:38 am

To the original purpose of this post

Zucker-Crosby-Simon
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
x-Rodrigues, Lafferty, Angello

Dumo-Letang
Petey-Marino
Johnson-X
xRuhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

I think Bjugstad will be traded. I think Marleau will retire. I think Sheary will walk. I think Riikola will be traded, refuse to resign, or return to Finland. I really don't know on Murray. I think they can't afford him. If he agrees to a 1 year deal at lower terms, like 5M, I still think that causes them to lose Murray or Jarry for nothing in the expansion draft and, it would be different if these goalies were 29-31 range, but they are both around 25...you can't let good, young assets walk away or lose them for nothing in return. That's horrible asset management.

Biggest needs for next season are an upgraded 3rd pairing, with strong need for everyday 3RD, and an upgrade at 1RW. Simon and his "tremendous skills" is not a long-term 1st line option. He's not always Mr. Corsi excellent passer guy. They need someone a bit more consistent on that line.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue May 05, 2020 10:41 am

Any team we can flip Murray to for a bonifide D man replacing Schultz...other than that I think forward group works.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 05, 2020 11:19 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Any team we can flip Murray to for a bonifide D man replacing Schultz...other than that I think forward group works.

I would do Murray to Buffalo for Ristolainen with 30% retained and a 2nd round pick. That would be about 3.78M for 2 more years (beyond incomplete season) of Ristolainen. At 3.78M, his salary is a little high for a 3rd pairing, but better than 5.4M, which is his actual cap hit.

Ristolainen shouldn't be a top pairing d-man, but he's good enough to be a 2nd pairing guy. So if Marino falters or if Marino/Letang get injured, Ristolainen would be a good option to move up the lineup.

If this deal were to happen, though, I'd be getting rid of Jack Johnson, via trade or buyout. Ristolainen does a lot of the things Jack Johnson does, with better offensive upside. Risto actually had about 20 more hits than Johnson (203 to 183) and only about 10 less blocked shots. These are areas the Penguins seem to like with Johnson. Risto is more of a hitter (who sometimes chases or gets carried away ala early Orpik or Kaspar).

It would be much easier to acquire a decent 3rd pairing LD to put with Ristolainen than trying to find a RD in UFA. I doubt POJ is ready...maybe...or maybe newly signed Cameron Lee could step in. If not internal, again, UFA LD market for 3rd pairing is better than RD market.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Tue May 05, 2020 2:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I think that's incredibly stubborn. The way things are going, we won't have travel between US and Canada anytime soon. We won't have fans for stands anytime soon. I can't see the NHL spending all that money to ice a rink and pay the players with no revenue coming in from the arenas and minimal from tv.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins