The return of the NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: The return of the NHL

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:52 am

no name wrote:Why are TV commentators geeking out over this 24 team playoff format, they want it to be the new norm for the playoffs. I could see 20 maybe.. 1, 2, 3, per division makes the playoffs. 4 plays 5 to play the 1st team... that would be 20. I can see, but I really prefere the 16 we always have, the NHL was terrible when we had 21 teams and 16 made the playoffs.

Always looking to make a change to improve things, when in most cases it just makes things worse.

I'm OK with the wild card concept...top 3 teams in each division make it, last 2 teams get in from wild card spots. But, once the teams are set, I'd like straight 1-8 playoff seeding. None of this forced division crap, trying to force certain teams to play each other. I'd be much more impressed and entertained with a natural East Conference Finals of Pittsburgh vs Washington, than a system that tries to force them to play earlier in case one of them gets knocked out.

Change isn't always better. NASCAR is a great example of that. Their whole playoff system, points system, stage racing changes they have made are pure crap. Didn't help that Stewart, Gordon, Earnhardt, Edwards, Kenseth, Martin, Biffle, Kahne, etc all retired in like a 5 year period.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:21 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
no name wrote:Why are TV commentators geeking out over this 24 team playoff format, they want it to be the new norm for the playoffs. I could see 20 maybe.. 1, 2, 3, per division makes the playoffs. 4 plays 5 to play the 1st team... that would be 20. I can see, but I really prefere the 16 we always have, the NHL was terrible when we had 21 teams and 16 made the playoffs.

Always looking to make a change to improve things, when in most cases it just makes things worse.

I'm OK with the wild card concept...top 3 teams in each division make it, last 2 teams get in from wild card spots. But, once the teams are set, I'd like straight 1-8 playoff seeding. None of this forced division crap, trying to force certain teams to play each other. I'd be much more impressed and entertained with a natural East Conference Finals of Pittsburgh vs Washington, than a system that tries to force them to play earlier in case one of them gets knocked out.

Change isn't always better. NASCAR is a great example of that. Their whole playoff system, points system, stage racing changes they have made are pure crap. Didn't help that Stewart, Gordon, Earnhardt, Edwards, Kenseth, Martin, Biffle, Kahne, etc all retired in like a 5 year period.

agree completely, I am fine with the division determining who MAKES the playoffs but the problem is when it is determining who they FACE in the playoffs. I said at the time they changed it to the stupid format that it has been recently, you cannot FORCE rivalries, you cannot FORCE intensity. However when you are forced to face the same team every year, it actually makes it more boring if anything.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:03 am

I guess no one knows yet if the pens radio and or TV folks will do the play in series ? Or , first play off series ?
Not liking what I am hearing about folks sitting, watching TV- like us...doing the games.

Those on instagram- 'Let's Get Back To Business:' Evgeni Malkin
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby johnnews on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:29 pm

penny lane wrote:I guess no one knows yet if the pens radio and or TV folks will do the play in series ? Or , first play off series ?
Not liking what I am hearing about folks sitting, watching TV- like us...doing the games.

Those on instagram- 'Let's Get Back To Business:' Evgeni Malkin

Sweet plane, Geno
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:26 pm

We get the best insight from the analysts at ice level between the benches because they can see plays develop. If there will end up being more cameras at ice level which is possible with no fans it can help broadcasters. I’d also like to be able to have more angles too at home
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

See I would want each division to produce a winner for the conference finals. So the Metro would only 1vs the winner 4vs5 and ofcourse 2vs3, then the winner faces each other to determine who comes out of the division, I hate that a atlantic wild card could possibly win our division.

All in all I would rather we keep the original 16 teams make it.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins