The return of the NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: The return of the NHL

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 25, 2020 10:54 am

pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:
interstorm wrote:
DelPen wrote:The NHL and NHLPA have assessed the risks and decided to approve resuming play so that’s all that matters here.

I might be wrong but I think the format itself was approved. The go decision to actually restart is still undecided (as far as I know but honestly not following super closely).

Last I read a restart committee made of players and execs were talking with optimism but I don't believe we are there quite yet. We'll see. As with all of this, we'll see.

They've lifted the travel ban for athletes, yet citizens are still trapped abroad (look at the people stuck at the Tribal Gathering festival in Panama, last I heard they still can't travel). I disagree 100% with the White House on this. If any American can't travel home because of the virus, no one should be given work visas.

The difference with the athletes is you know they will be tested on a daily basis, and their intersection with the general population will be minimal at best. With that said, any Americans who are abroad and want to come home should be able to do so as long as they follow the proper protocols when they return.

I remember a CNN article back on March 30th where the US government asked all US citizens to return home or risk getting stuck. If these people ignored that then shame on them.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hatrick on Mon May 25, 2020 11:15 am

FLPensFan wrote:Looks like the NHL has the travel ban/border closed policies now solved:

US to exempt foreign athletes from entry bans

honestly did not expect that, that was what imo was the biggest obstacle for the return of the NHL, the fact they have so many foreign players and told them they can leave the country.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon May 25, 2020 1:48 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:
interstorm wrote:
DelPen wrote:The NHL and NHLPA have assessed the risks and decided to approve resuming play so that’s all that matters here.

I might be wrong but I think the format itself was approved. The go decision to actually restart is still undecided (as far as I know but honestly not following super closely).

Last I read a restart committee made of players and execs were talking with optimism but I don't believe we are there quite yet. We'll see. As with all of this, we'll see.

They've lifted the travel ban for athletes, yet citizens are still trapped abroad (look at the people stuck at the Tribal Gathering festival in Panama, last I heard they still can't travel). I disagree 100% with the White House on this. If any American can't travel home because of the virus, no one should be given work visas.

The difference with the athletes is you know they will be tested on a daily basis, and their intersection with the general population will be minimal at best. With that said, any Americans who are abroad and want to come home should be able to do so as long as they follow the proper protocols when they return.

And that's fine, as long as those same athletes are subject to the same quarantine procedures.
Last edited by Daniel on Mon May 25, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Mon May 25, 2020 1:49 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:
interstorm wrote:

I remember a CNN article back on March 30th where the US government asked all US citizens to return home or risk getting stuck. If these people ignored that then shame on them.

If you're on vacation abroad, are you really watching or reading CNN? Especially in a hippy commune in Panama (seriously, anti capitalist hippies are stuck in Panama seeing what's life without capitalism is like).
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon May 25, 2020 2:04 pm

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/292 ... ssion=true

Phase 2 explained. Six players allowed in arenas. June 1st?
No coaches. Masks all times but on ice and exercising.
Players can skate in any city, does not have to be PGH . Evgeni if in FLA could skate with panthers. If Kessel here could skate with pens. More about testing and tempatures.

More steps towards games.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 25, 2020 2:33 pm

Daniel wrote:
If you're on vacation abroad, are you really watching or reading CNN? Especially in a hippy commune in Panama (seriously, anti capitalist hippies are stuck in Panama seeing what's life without capitalism is like).

I lived in Italy for a year, CNN was everywhere and I constantly kept up on US news. During a pandemic you better bet i would be listening to what is happening.

Again if you're not aware of what's going on around you then shame on you. People are just use to playing the victim card, you're an adult take responsibility for your actions or your apathy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I lived in Italy for a year, CNN was everywhere and I constantly kept up on US news. During a pandemic you better bet i would be listening to what is happening.

Again if you're not aware of what's going on around you then shame on you. People are just use to playing the victim card, you're an adult take responsibility for your actions or your apathy.

Living and traveling are two different things and CNN isn't available everywhere, Panama commune with nature wouldn't have it. I've been in the middle of the Highlands with no access to civilization for days. People who travel abroad are on vacation and don't always have access to media, why would they even think to check. Even if they did take it seriously, you and I both know it's expensive to change travel tickets so that has to be taken into consideration. Not to mention that "advised to" and "not allowed to" are too different things

Even with all of that, allowing a non essential industry to bring in employees while other people are stuck is pretty awful and makes the industry look bad.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Living and traveling are two different things and CNN isn't available everywhere, Panama commune with nature wouldn't have it. I've been in the middle of the Highlands with no access to civilization for days. People who travel abroad are on vacation and don't always have access to media, why would they even think to check. Even if they did take it seriously, you and I both know it's expensive to change travel tickets so that has to be taken into consideration. Not to mention that "advised to" and "not allowed to" are too different things

Even with all of that, allowing a non essential industry to bring in employees while other people are stuck is pretty awful and makes the industry look bad.

Agree to disagree. I know people who booked travel to Columbia for March and not only didnt they go once things started going bad in China but werent given any sort of refund by the airlines or the hotel they booked with even after purchasing travel insurance. Apparently travel insurance doesn't cover a pandemic.

I'd buy your argument if this happened over a couple day period but it was literally a health crisis that built up from January through the end of March. To me it's short sighted to go anywhere you dont have access to the outside world especially during a health crisis
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon May 25, 2020 10:38 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Agree to disagree. I know people who booked travel to Columbia for March and not only didnt they go once things started going bad in China but werent given any sort of refund by the airlines or the hotel they booked with even after purchasing travel insurance. Apparently travel insurance doesn't cover a pandemic.

I'd buy your argument if this happened over a couple day period but it was literally a health crisis that built up from January through the end of March. To me it's short sighted to go anywhere you dont have access to the outside world especially during a health crisis

I think the biggest failure was trusting the WHO and not making it a crucial issue back in December. Remember, the WHO said no human to human contact. With all the contradictory statements through March, it's easy to see why people would not take this seriously.

Even though we disagree on this, I think we can agree that allowing sports players work visa while any American trapped abroad is a very bad thing.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 26, 2020 7:38 am

I think there is plenty of blame to go around regarding a lack of preparedness and also the amount of incorrect information that was circulated. I'm really interested in seeing an independent world team review the actions of the WHO when this is all over as well as the actions by the CDC and other US government entities.

I really hope that going forward this recalibrates the thinking of our elected officials. So much of our tax dollars are wasted and when something like this occurs, something they should be prepared for and aren't makes you want to toss everyone of them out of office.

Maybe I didnt articulate this well in my previous posts but when you look at what NHL players for example were doing, shelter in place with no outside contact and the league in regular contact with the government, I can see why there isnt a concern about allowing players back into the US. There is an agreed to policy that's in place and was adhered too. With US citizens trapped abroad they didnt heed the calls to return home whether it's their fault or not there are guidelines in place and they have to adhere to them. If they were out of contact I dont see how you can blame the government for that.

I dont think the government should go get these people, as soon as commercial flights resume in that area if they haven't already they should be allowed to return and then be quarantined until cleared.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue May 26, 2020 8:50 am

thehockeyguru wrote:I think there is plenty of blame to go around regarding a lack of preparedness and also the amount of incorrect information that was circulated. I'm really interested in seeing an independent world team review the actions of the WHO when this is all over as well as the actions by the CDC and other US government entities.

I really hope that going forward this recalibrates the thinking of our elected officials. So much of our tax dollars are wasted and when something like this occurs, something they should be prepared for and aren't makes you want to toss everyone of them out of office.

Maybe I didnt articulate this well in my previous posts but when you look at what NHL players for example were doing, shelter in place with no outside contact and the league in regular contact with the government, I can see why there isnt a concern about allowing players back into the US. There is an agreed to policy that's in place and was adhered too. With US citizens trapped abroad they didnt heed the calls to return home whether it's their fault or not there are guidelines in place and they have to adhere to them. If they were out of contact I dont see how you can blame the government for that.

I dont think the government should go get these people, as soon as commercial flights resume in that area if they haven't already they should be allowed to return and then be quarantined until cleared.

In principal I agree with everything you said. That said, the perception is where the issue is. By allowing employees of a non essential industry to travel to America, let alone play a meaningless sport, that sends the wrong perception. I believe that sports needs to be the last industry that opens. Add in the fact that the state department has a responsibility to its citizens, morons and not morons, this creates another bad perception.

If athletes and citizens can travel, that would be fine as we need to open transportation. Even with that, still bad to allow a non essential industry to open with millions out of work because they aren't allowed to make a living.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I think there is plenty of blame to go around regarding a lack of preparedness and also the amount of incorrect information that was circulated. I'm really interested in seeing an independent world team review the actions of the WHO when this is all over as well as the actions by the CDC and other US government entities.

In principal I agree with everything you said. That said, the perception is where the issue is. By allowing employees of a non essential industry to travel to America, let alone play a meaningless sport, that sends the wrong perception. I believe that sports needs to be the last industry that opens. Add in the fact that the state department has a responsibility to its citizens, morons and not morons, this creates another bad perception.

If athletes and citizens can travel, that would be fine as we need to open transportation. Even with that, still bad to allow a non essential industry to open with millions out of work because they aren't allowed to make a living.

The only thing I'll say is I hate labeling a business essential or nonessential when people both directly and indirectly rely on sports to make their living. The sooner all businesses can open responsibly the better society as a whole will be. So I dont want to say this group of people can make money and these people cant.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue May 26, 2020 4:04 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:

The only thing I'll say is I hate labeling a business essential or nonessential when people both directly and indirectly rely on sports to make their living. The sooner all businesses can open responsibly the better society as a whole will be. So I dont want to say this group of people can make money and these people cant.

I don't either, just said that because it's the reality and my issue is perception, how can XYZ work when they're non essential but ABC can't work because they're non essential. Another way to pit people against one another and cause jealousy. That's my main issue with any sport coming back, telling someone else they aren't allowed to work. Allow everyone to work and allow all businesses to open and I'll be excited for sports. Now I just feel bad for the people who aren't allowed to work.

I think any business that has a need or a want is essential. Doesn't matter if it's a hospital or a 7-11. Hospital isn't essential to me sitting at home but if I need water 7-11 becomes essential and I agree with you that government shouldn't make that call.

This video might interest you, shows who is essential just to make a pencil. Really interesting philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3W2v7LN-88
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed May 27, 2020 8:30 am

Maybe it's me being blind as a bat but I can't find references to what this means as to how free agency is being handled. I would guess contracts be extended and free agency occurs following the SCF. Just curious as free agency normally begins July 1.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby midd on Wed May 27, 2020 9:05 am

I'm not as excited as most people. To go from training camp to the "playoffs", yeah I don't know; it won't even feel like playoff hockey. No fans in attendance means no energy, no electricity in the buildings. And imagine what the ramifications will be for the following season. It's going to have start later and when it does, will it be long enough for teams that go deep into these playoffs to recover?

It's been almost three months, what's another three for next season's camps to start.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 27, 2020 10:22 am

midd wrote:I'm not as excited as most people. To go from training camp to the "playoffs", yeah I don't know; it won't even feel like playoff hockey. No fans in attendance means no energy, no electricity in the buildings. And imagine what the ramifications will be for the following season. It's going to have start later and when it does, will it be long enough for teams that go deep into these playoffs to recover?

It's been almost three months, what's another three for next season's camps to start.

There is only one good reason I can see for the league to try and finish this season, and only one reason...$$$$. I have to believe that the NHL is getting additional TV revenue and/or advertising revenue by playing these games. Obviously it won't be anything near what they would normally receive, but, the league needs as much money as it can get. The more money it can make off this season, the less impact it has on next season....and there already will be a huge impact on next year's cap. I have yet to see how they will deal with next season's cap and fans, but those are huge hurdles for them for next season.

The NHL is the lowest revenue generator of the 4 major sports leagues and, actually comes in 6th in terms of revenue. How does it come in 6th with only 4 major leagues? Well NFL, MLB, and NBA are 1, 2, & 3. NHL is 6th because the English Premier League and the Indian Premier League (Cricket) actually make more money than the NHL.

So, I get the reasons why people say scrap the season, but, that will just have a bigger impact on next year. Hopefully, this season and the 20-21 season are the only two impacted, and the 21-22 season can get back to being a normal cap, full fans, etc season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ericf on Wed May 27, 2020 10:29 am

Bjugstad had more surgery and is out...good riddance

Rutherford comments to that Jake is rehabbing and they hope to have him ready, but he’s still a ?
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 am

Ericf wrote:Bjugstad had more surgery and is out...good riddance

Rutherford comments to that Jake is rehabbing and they hope to have him ready, but he’s still a ?

Beau Bjugstad has a nice ring to it.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed May 27, 2020 4:34 pm

I heard Dan Rosen say a team whose city was picked as a hub will move? But, that can't be right. Vegas moved to the east ??? Columbus moved to the west? Of course the home team will not be allowed to stay home. They too will be residing in the hotels. They made some of this return complicated.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Kingerski was saying the Penguins should add Samuel Poulin to the team for this playoffs. Apparently some teams are adding some of their younger/junior players to their rosters. I think Toronto added their 2nd round pick from 2019 to their roster for this playoff tournament.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Kingerski was saying the Penguins should add Samuel Poulin to the team for this playoffs. Apparently some teams are adding some of their younger/junior players to their rosters. I think Toronto added their 2nd round pick from 2019 to their roster for this playoff tournament.

I think it makes sense to include Poulin on the roster for the tournament. Even if he doesn't get into games which is likely, just being around NHL players at this time of year would be valuable experience. Although with Simon and Bjugstad out already, depending on what he looks like at camp, I'd give consideration to Poulin on the 3rd line LW spot. He only really needs to play better than Sheary, and Rodriques to be in the lineup.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Anyone who mentions this Kingurski tool should be banned and just stop watching hockey. Your decision making skills need to be better.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:54 pm

DelPen wrote:Anyone who mentions this Kingurski tool should be banned and just stop watching hockey. Your decision making skills need to be better.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 am

Why are TV commentators geeking out over this 24 team playoff format, they want it to be the new norm for the playoffs. I could see 20 maybe.. 1, 2, 3, per division makes the playoffs. 4 plays 5 to play the 1st team... that would be 20. I can see, but I really prefere the 16 we always have, the NHL was terrible when we had 21 teams and 16 made the playoffs.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:47 am

The NHL had a perfect format for years, and ruined it because they wanted more emphasis on the importance of the divisions....I'd rather they scrap divisions all together and go with 2 big conferences, so long as the top 8 make it and play the the team they SHOULD play in round 1.

Also, while we are at it, enough is enough with the ridiculousness of wearing white on the road. While it has no impact on the game, it's the dumbest and easiest change to make to have the road teams wear their colored jerseys on the road. I'm sick of saying it, why won't anyone listen! :)
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins