The return of the NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: The return of the NHL

Postby penny lane on Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 am

Get the boys back in town and on the ice!

With the rep of PGH ice not being the best NHL may pass on us.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 23, 2020 11:56 am

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:I, too, agree with Daniel. My belief is that they should just call it a day and start fresh next season. If there is one death, whether it's a player, an attending fan, or an organization/venue worker, the price will be way too high and definitely not worth the risk for viewers' entertainment.

Nothing is going to be normal about the NHL until a treatment or a vaccine is found. When I say normal I mean people in the stands etc. Under controlled conditions they might as well try to finish off this season. We’ll see what happens if some players and/or coaches catch the virus, do they press on or will they they terminate the season at that point. It wouldn’t be a good look for the league in either situation.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Sat May 23, 2020 1:58 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:I, too, agree with Daniel. My belief is that they should just call it a day and start fresh next season. If there is one death, whether it's a player, an attending fan, or an organization/venue worker, the price will be way too high and definitely not worth the risk for viewers' entertainment.

Nothing is going to be normal about the NHL until a treatment or a vaccine is found. When I say normal I mean people in the stands etc. Under controlled conditions they might as well try to finish off this season. We’ll see what happens if some players and/or coaches catch the virus, do they press on or will they they terminate the season at that point. It wouldn’t be a good look for the league in either situation.

Listened to Benz podcast last week. They were kidding that players will get “14 day concussions” if there is a threat the team gets shut down for someone contracting it. Not a laughing matter, but every player but Zdeno should be in the low risk group. From a fan standpoint, probably old geezers like me that remember the 1975 Islander collapse should not be allowed to attend games.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Formula 1 is dead set on starting their season - and they are saying: If one person gets COVID, we will just isolate that person and carry on, if 10 persons in the paddock get COVID we will just carry on" etc.

Formula 1 cancelled one race becaus the McLaren team had one member testing positive and McLaren pulled out of the race.

What happens if Ovie and Backstrom get the virus and will be unavailable for 6 weeks. Do they just say "feck them" and play on? I assume that has to be the case?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sat May 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Ovie will not get the virus. He probably has antibodies to fight the virus.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ericf on Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Ovie will not get the virus. He probably has antibodies to fight the virus.

All the HGH and steroids he’s taken have probably ramped down his immune system sufficiently that he won’t get seriously ill...
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Sat May 23, 2020 5:16 pm

ville5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:Probably better if they went out in the first round. Little to no revenue for the team, longer off season, less quarantine away from the family. I imagine the teams not playing will come out ahead since they won't incur cost.

Frankly with the risk, I'd half arse it and go home. As much as I'll probably watch, I don't think this is a good idea. Just let this stuff pass and open up when society does. Telling someone they can't go to work because their job is non essential while millionaires earn money in the most non essential industry on the planet would send a bad message.

This reeks of greed and I don't think this will end well. If it's too early to open all businesses, it's too early to open sports. I hope I'm wrong though.

I agree with Daniel. I'd lose in for straight.
Concerning the greed, what happens if several players contract the virus? Is a potential lawsuit possible?
Does anyone think any players will refuse to participate?

I don't see how they can since under contract, so imagine it'll be team by team basis in terms of how to handle it if someone does refuse. Doesn't mean the player can't do something to hurt their visa situation.

Also don't know how lawsuits would be handled if players get the virus since the NHLPA is a collective and they're under contract. As much as I miss hockey, it's an awful plan with no upside as far as I can see.
Last edited by Daniel on Sat May 23, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sat May 23, 2020 5:20 pm

I think the price will be way too high regardless. A fan that can't pay their bills because they're not allowed to work won't appreciate this at all. I said greed before but also reeks of elitism and only open for the "essential human". Especially opening a contact sport in the midst of people being told to socially distance themselves.

People are protesting for their rights to go to the beach, and I think that'll get violent, yet millionaires can sweat on each other? No matter how covered they are it's still the perception. Do they blow the whistle if a helmet or glove fall off or just stake back to the bench and pray? Idk, wrong message to me.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat May 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Daniel wrote:

I think the price will be way too high regardless. A fan that can't pay their bills because they're not allowed to work won't appreciate this at all. I said greed before but also reeks of elitism and only open for the "essential human". Especially opening a contact sport in the midst of people being told to socially distance themselves.

People are protesting for their rights to go to the beach, and I think that'll get violent, yet millionaires can sweat on each other? No matter how covered they are it's still the perception. Do they blow the whistle if a helmet or glove fall off or just stake back to the bench and pray? Idk, wrong message to me.

I'm not saying there is right or wrong to either side, but, what if the NHL feels they have to finish the season to earn additional revenue in order to have a 20-21 season? Obviously, there aren't going to be gate sales with no fans, but, maybe they are getting additional TV revenues by having the games.

IIRC, NHL TV contract pays the NHL in a certain way that, they only get paid if games occur...ie, cancel games and the playoffs, and they don't receive a portion of revenue from TV contract. I believe I read this somewhere, and there is one league (believe it is the NFL because, they are a massive entity) that has a TV contract that pays them whether games are paid or not...they are paid up front, versus most sports TV contracts that are more pay-as-you-go type of deals.

I have already read from various sources that multiple/most NHL owners have said there is no way they will play the 2020-2021 season with no fans. (maybe limited fans, but no way to have zero fans in stands) They have said they are losing money finishing the season with no fans, but, for next season...for the whole season...they would lose less money just keeping the arenas closed and not playing at all.

So, consider the viewpoint that the NHL could be pushing to get back to playing hockey solely for the purposes of survival of the sport.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Sat May 23, 2020 6:45 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I'm not saying there is right or wrong to either side, but, what if the NHL feels they have to finish the season to earn additional revenue in order to have a 20-21 season? Obviously, there aren't going to be gate sales with no fans, but, maybe they are getting additional TV revenues by having the games.

IIRC, NHL TV contract pays the NHL in a certain way that, they only get paid if games occur...ie, cancel games and the playoffs, and they don't receive a portion of revenue from TV contract. I believe I read this somewhere, and there is one league (believe it is the NFL because, they are a massive entity) that has a TV contract that pays them whether games are paid or not...they are paid up front, versus most sports TV contracts that are more pay-as-you-go type of deals.

I have already read from various sources that multiple/most NHL owners have said there is no way they will play the 2020-2021 season with no fans. (maybe limited fans, but no way to have zero fans in stands) They have said they are losing money finishing the season with no fans, but, for next season...for the whole season...they would lose less money just keeping the arenas closed and not playing at all.

So, consider the viewpoint that the NHL could be pushing to get back to playing hockey solely for the purposes of survival of the sport.

Oh I get all that, but try telling someone who lost their business that a truly non essential business full of millionaires and billionaires is more essential than their small business. If any business isn't allowed to open then sports shouldn't be allowed to open.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat May 23, 2020 8:07 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Oh I get all that, but try telling someone who lost their business that a truly non essential business full of millionaires and billionaires is more essential than their small business. If any business isn't allowed to open then sports shouldn't be allowed to open.

I understand that, but at the same time, the sports leagues that employ millionaires and owned by billionaires...also employ the average joes...the ticket takers, ushers, parking attendants, food service people, security, off ice/field officials, etc, etc. who may not have a job now, or may have lost a good part of their income by the loss of sports.

But yes, if there are places where governors and state officials are saying these business can't open up, but, hey, its time to start getting back to major sports, I can see the uproar. Here in Florida, things are starting to open back up. Many restaurants here are allowed to open at 50% capacity, barbers, hair salons, etc type stuff is slowing opening with restrictions.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Sat May 23, 2020 8:15 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I understand that, but at the same time, the sports leagues that employ millionaires and owned by billionaires...also employ the average joes...the ticket takers, ushers, parking attendants, food service people, security, off ice/field officials, etc, etc. who may not have a job now, or may have lost a good part of their income by the loss of sports.

But yes, if there are places where governors and state officials are saying these business can't open up, but, hey, its time to start getting back to major sports, I can see the uproar. Here in Florida, things are starting to open back up. Many restaurants here are allowed to open at 50% capacity, barbers, hair salons, etc type stuff is slowing opening with restrictions.

I'm in Texas so my experience has been more common sense approach than draconian. I would agree with the opening of sports if they had fans, but the average joes that are being employed are still not going to work. No need for ticket takers, ushers, parking attendants, food service people (other than a few for the players) won't be working.

I understand the point of view of starting sports. Create optimism that things are going back to normal, allowing a more day to day life for people that watch the sport. I just also see the millions of people that are still effected by this situation. Confused by "just do this for two weeks" that changed to "we'll see later" only to see sports leagues start up again.

People don't believe the measures are due to the virus but due to an agenda, opening sports will just reinforce those opinions.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Sun May 24, 2020 4:46 am

what kind of playoff 24 team format are they talking about to finish out the season? I didnt see any explanation of it.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sun May 24, 2020 8:38 am

Pens4Life wrote:what kind of playoff 24 team format are they talking about to finish out the season? I didnt see any explanation of it.

"Under the plan proposed by the NHL/NHLPA Return To Play committee, the top four teams in each conference would play each other in a mini-tournament for seeding while the remaining 16 teams face off in a best-of-five series play-in round to set the final 16 to compete for the Stanley Cup."

https://triblive.com/sports/nhl-awaits- ... omes-next/
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am

Pens4Life wrote:what kind of playoff 24 team format are they talking about to finish out the season? I didnt see any explanation of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/actionrush ... son/%3famp
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 24, 2020 12:11 pm

Looks like the NHL has the travel ban/border closed policies now solved:

US to exempt foreign athletes from entry bans
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun May 24, 2020 1:28 pm

Last time I checked the NHL wasn’t filled with players over 75 years old with several co-morbidities, any talk of players dying or even suffering adverse effects if they by some chance catch COVID are silly and not supported by any data.

Getting fans back in attendance is obviously trickier but healthy professional athletes playing a sport in a controlled environment has as minimal risk possible for spreading COVID.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 24, 2020 2:23 pm

The NHL isn't filled with 75 year old players, but to state that's the only demographic that gets sick, or even seriously sick from the virus ignores the realities of the situation. Being in a controlled environment improves the chances they stay healthy, but all you need is one team getting a couple of players sick for the rest of the teams to wonder what the hell they're doing playing hockey in this situation.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby flame on Sun May 24, 2020 4:01 pm

pens_CT wrote:The NHL isn't filled with 75 year old players, but to state that's the only demographic that gets sick, or even seriously sick from the virus ignores the realities of the situation. Being in a controlled environment improves the chances they stay healthy, but all you need is one team getting a couple of players sick for the rest of the teams to wonder what the hell they're doing playing hockey in this situation.

This is true, a very small % of younger people die (or have serious reactions to COVID-19). But being healthy and in their 20s and 30s the players have a much better shot of death or hospitalization from an injury during the game or an accident on the way to the game. I'm more concerned about the older coaches/people in the organization. As you said being in a controlled environment is crucial to this. If one team has multiple players who test positive it's gonna be a really big problem. Here's to it all working out for everybody involved. :fist:
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Sun May 24, 2020 4:21 pm

pens_CT wrote:The NHL isn't filled with 75 year old players, but to state that's the only demographic that gets sick, or even seriously sick from the virus ignores the realities of the situation. Being in a controlled environment improves the chances they stay healthy, but all you need is one team getting a couple of players sick for the rest of the teams to wonder what the hell they're doing playing hockey in this situation.

Sports and entertainment are literally last on the list of non essential industries and if anything is forced to be closed anywhere in the country, sports shouldn't be open. If the argument is "well they're young and less of a risk" then okay why not open all other industries that cater to the youth, like video arcades, bowling, miniature golf? Why not open the mall with an age restriction? Sure hockey will be in a controlled environment, but nothing is fully controlled since I doubt they'll live at the arenas.

Overall I think it sends the wrong message (not just hockey but all sports) that sports are more important to society than businesses that aren't allowed to open. Sports aren't important to society at all other than entertainment.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun May 24, 2020 7:50 pm

The NHL and NHLPA have assessed the risks and decided to approve resuming play so that’s all that matters here. It’s going to happen barring some drastic change of course due to a NYC sized outbreak at one of the host cities.

Anyways, let’s talk about Carey Price, overrated when it comes to being a winner when it matters comes to mind. Is he good? Yes. Is he above average? Possibly. Is he top 10 when it matters? Nope and never has been.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 pm

DelPen wrote:The NHL and NHLPA have assessed the risks and decided to approve resuming play so that’s all that matters here.

I might be wrong but I think the format itself was approved. The go decision to actually restart is still undecided (as far as I know but honestly not following super closely).

Last I read a restart committee made of players and execs were talking with optimism but I don't believe we are there quite yet. We'll see. As with all of this, we'll see.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun May 24, 2020 11:12 pm

interstorm wrote:
DelPen wrote:The NHL and NHLPA have assessed the risks and decided to approve resuming play so that’s all that matters here.

I might be wrong but I think the format itself was approved. The go decision to actually restart is still undecided (as far as I know but honestly not following super closely).

Last I read a restart committee made of players and execs were talking with optimism but I don't believe we are there quite yet. We'll see. As with all of this, we'll see.

They've lifted the travel ban for athletes, yet citizens are still trapped abroad (look at the people stuck at the Tribal Gathering festival in Panama, last I heard they still can't travel). I disagree 100% with the White House on this. If any American can't travel home because of the virus, no one should be given work visas.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby interstorm on Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am

Totally agree, Daniel. There should be no special treatment especially if families are separated.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon May 25, 2020 10:21 am

Daniel wrote:
interstorm wrote:

They've lifted the travel ban for athletes, yet citizens are still trapped abroad (look at the people stuck at the Tribal Gathering festival in Panama, last I heard they still can't travel). I disagree 100% with the White House on this. If any American can't travel home because of the virus, no one should be given work visas.

The difference with the athletes is you know they will be tested on a daily basis, and their intersection with the general population will be minimal at best. With that said, any Americans who are abroad and want to come home should be able to do so as long as they follow the proper protocols when they return.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins