The return of the NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

The return of the NHL

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 am

Wanted to break this out a bit from the cap thread, and list/discuss some of the items being discussed by the NHL and NHLPA in terms of returning to play this season, as well as how next season will resume. Most of the info I am posting below comes from bigger names (LeBrun, Dreger, Sportsnet, etc).

For resuming the current season:

- Lots of talk still on starting some training in June/July, finishing the regular season, and the playoffs then occurring. Assumption is regular season and playoff games will be played without fans in attendance.

- One of the main pushbacks from players is, they don't want to be isolated from their families with no contact for 2-3 months. We've only heard quotes from several players, but there appear to be a large number of players voicing this concern.

- I am hearing that the NHL is pushing hard to have the NHL draft in June, versus an October draft that was originally discussed.

- Hearing that the NHL is prepared to not start the 2020-2021 season until December if necessary, and still play a full 82 games (very compacted schedule, no ASG, no by week break).

- 2020-2021 season would have to fans. That is the overwhelming feedback from the owners. Quotes I heard have multiple owners saying they would lose less money not playing the games than opening the arenas for games but not having fans.

- NHL self-quarantine is currently in place until mid-May. Hope is that after mid-May, NHL will start allowing players to train and have on-ice sessions in small groups.

- There is also some talking/thinking that, since the AHL has officially cancelled its season, would the NHL allow expanded rosters for the rest of the regular season, as well as the playoffs.

My take on some of these points in a post following this one.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The return of the NHL

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:32 am

So, here's my take on how I would handle some of these things:

1. NHL Draft - I see no plausible way for this to occur before the end of the season. Having a draft before the 2019-2020 season ends creates two immediate issues (and there are probably others that I'm not thinking of)
--- How do you deal with conditional draft picks (making playoffs, making certain rounds, resigning player, etc)
--- You would all but eliminate draft day trading, because, how do you trade an NHL level player in this scenario? Do you trade him then he still plays for you the rest of 2019-2020 season? That doesn't seem plausible.

2. Scrap the regular season - Every team is going to argue in some form. Teams like the Panthers will argue they had a strong chance to make the playoffs, and if you go to the rule of 68 games, they miss the playoffs. They may be right, but, I don't think you are going to find a solution that suits every team or player. If you scrap the regular season and go with the 68 game season, you don't have to push the 2020-2021 season back as far. And, I think the bigger picture here is, if you scrap the rest of the regular season, that's half the teams not having to start back up. Half the amount of players that have to be isolated away from their families. And in the playoffs, after 2 weeks of playoff games (7 games series), 8 teams would be able to go back home. So maybe those teams are isolated for a month or a little more (training camp to get in shape plus first round). I think that would be much more acceptable to the players. As Phillip Danault from the Canadians mentioned (he was one player against the isolation away from families)....what is the drive for teams like Detroit, Ottawa, NJ, LA, SJ, etc to come back and finish the playoffs. They aren't making the playoffs. Do you really think you are going to get highly motivated games from these teams under these circumstances? They have nothing to play for this season, and, forcing them to come back to play in empty stands...there isn't much point to it.

3. 2020-2021 Season. No way this can start in December (had heard January is possible but really pushing it), and still be an 82 game schedule. If teams are being forced to play back-to-back scenarios pretty much non-stop (which would be required to cram all those games in that period of time), the amount of injuries are going to sky rocket. This is another big reason why they should scrap the rest of 19-20 regular season. Training camps to get in shape in July, start playoffs 2nd half of July, go into August/mid September, draft and free agency at the end of September. 2-3 week break, shortened training camp (shouldn't need a long camp when players have already been playing less than 30 days ago), and get season kicked off by November 1st. Skip ASG and by-week, and without "cramming" games together, you could go to end of April instead of mid-April for 2020-2021 regular season.

4. The Salary Cap - Here's my bold idea that I think is the simplest and most effective. Have a flat cap for the next 2-3 years, but, instead of compliance buyouts, allow each team a one contract cap amnesty with limits. I'll use Jake Guentzel as the example for the Penguins. For the next 2-3 years, whatever time period is set, Guentzel's contract does not count against the cap. I used Guentzel because I would probably set a limit of about 6M on the amnesty contract. This way, teams get a little more cap space and you don't have to jettison players to do it. Each team has a 1 contract amnesty for 2-3 years, up to 6M. You can't do multiple players, so if you tag a guy making 5.25M as your amnesty deal, that's it. Not sure how the owners would go for that because they are still paying those real dollars, but, I'd rather see something like this than teams having to dump players, then trying to squeeze players to bad contracts to fill out teams.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:So, here's my take on how I would handle some of these things:

1. NHL Draft - I see no plausible way for this to occur before the end of the season. Having a draft before the 2019-2020 season ends creates two immediate issues (and there are probably others that I'm not thinking of)
--- How do you deal with conditional draft picks (making playoffs, making certain rounds, resigning player, etc)
--- You would all but eliminate draft day trading, because, how do you trade an NHL level player in this scenario? Do you trade him then he still plays for you the rest of 2019-2020 season? That doesn't seem plausible.

2. Scrap the regular season - Every team is going to argue in some form. Teams like the Panthers will argue they had a strong chance to make the playoffs, and if you go to the rule of 68 games, they miss the playoffs. They may be right, but, I don't think you are going to find a solution that suits every team or player. If you scrap the regular season and go with the 68 game season, you don't have to push the 2020-2021 season back as far. And, I think the bigger picture here is, if you scrap the rest of the regular season, that's half the teams not having to start back up. Half the amount of players that have to be isolated away from their families. And in the playoffs, after 2 weeks of playoff games (7 games series), 8 teams would be able to go back home. So maybe those teams are isolated for a month or a little more (training camp to get in shape plus first round). I think that would be much more acceptable to the players. As Phillip Danault from the Canadians mentioned (he was one player against the isolation away from families)....what is the drive for teams like Detroit, Ottawa, NJ, LA, SJ, etc to come back and finish the playoffs. They aren't making the playoffs. Do you really think you are going to get highly motivated games from these teams under these circumstances? They have nothing to play for this season, and, forcing them to come back to play in empty stands...there isn't much point to it.

3. 2020-2021 Season. No way this can start in December (had heard January is possible but really pushing it), and still be an 82 game schedule. If teams are being forced to play back-to-back scenarios pretty much non-stop (which would be required to cram all those games in that period of time), the amount of injuries are going to sky rocket. This is another big reason why they should scrap the rest of 19-20 regular season. Training camps to get in shape in July, start playoffs 2nd half of July, go into August/mid September, draft and free agency at the end of September. 2-3 week break, shortened training camp (shouldn't need a long camp when players have already been playing less than 30 days ago), and get season kicked off by November 1st. Skip ASG and by-week, and without "cramming" games together, you could go to end of April instead of mid-April for 2020-2021 regular season.

4. The Salary Cap - Here's my bold idea that I think is the simplest and most effective. Have a flat cap for the next 2-3 years, but, instead of compliance buyouts, allow each team a one contract cap amnesty with limits. I'll use Jake Guentzel as the example for the Penguins. For the next 2-3 years, whatever time period is set, Guentzel's contract does not count against the cap. I used Guentzel because I would probably set a limit of about 6M on the amnesty contract. This way, teams get a little more cap space and you don't have to jettison players to do it. Each team has a 1 contract amnesty for 2-3 years, up to 6M. You can't do multiple players, so if you tag a guy making 5.25M as your amnesty deal, that's it. Not sure how the owners would go for that because they are still paying those real dollars, but, I'd rather see something like this than teams having to dump players, then trying to squeeze players to bad contracts to fill out teams.

I dont believe in cancelling the 19-20 season. There has to be some compromise around ending the season early and holding the playoffs at neutral hubs. I dont know how the league can proceed without the revenue from the remainder of the season and keep the salaries of the players at 100%. IF they cancel the season and I'm an owner I'd strongly push for a reduction of players salaries proportionate to the lost revenue. If teams stand to lose 35% of revenue then players get paid 65% of their contracts value for the season, something of that nature. I'm truly concerned about the financial viability of some teams as a result of canceling the season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Wyopen on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Skatingpen on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:19 pm

IMO the best thing to do is cancel the season and hope that things are normal by next years start. My concern is the NHL doing to many things to fit in the rest of the season and end up ruining 2 seasons because of it. No way they can try to cram a full season next year if they start in November or December..... there will be bad hockey and injuries all over the place. As far as this year, what is really the point of trying to cram this season in? No fans, no real enjoyment I am sure by the players and it won’t be a real season anyway. I imagine teams would lose money playing in front of no fans. Just my thoughts
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Skatingpen wrote:IMO the best thing to do is cancel the season and hope that things are normal by next years start. My concern is the NHL doing to many things to fit in the rest of the season and end up ruining 2 seasons because of it. No way they can try to cram a full season next year if they start in November or December..... there will be bad hockey and injuries all over the place. As far as this year, what is really the point of trying to cram this season in? No fans, no real enjoyment I am sure by the players and it won’t be a real season anyway. I imagine teams would lose money playing in front of no fans. Just my thoughts

I mean you can hope the virus doesn't come back in the fall, but as the old line goes hope isn't a strategy. Minus a vaccine or a treatment to minimize the symptoms, I don't see how this league or any league goes back to filling stadiums or arena's with people. Maybe certain parts of the country can try do it, but no way that happens in California or the I-95 corridor.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Skatingpen on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:49 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:IMO the best thing to do is cancel the season and hope that things are normal by next years start. My concern is the NHL doing to many things to fit in the rest of the season and end up ruining 2 seasons because of it. No way they can try to cram a full season next year if they start in November or December..... there will be bad hockey and injuries all over the place. As far as this year, what is really the point of trying to cram this season in? No fans, no real enjoyment I am sure by the players and it won’t be a real season anyway. I imagine teams would lose money playing in front of no fans. Just my thoughts

I mean you can hope the virus doesn't come back in the fall, but as the old line goes hope isn't a strategy. Minus a vaccine or a treatment to minimize the symptoms, I don't see how this league or any league goes back to filling stadiums or arena's with people. Maybe certain parts of the country can try do it, but no way that happens in California or the I-95 corridor.

Good point as well
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:33 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Good point as well

That's a video point and I think people need to start thinking outside the box on a means for generating revenue if you cant have people in the stands. You could go to a pay per view type format but that would need to be negotiated with the tv companies that currently own the rights to air games.

I dont see a way to restart this season or even start next season with people attending games.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sat May 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Not news from the NHL, but MLS has apparently given teams the go-ahead to re-open their facilities for their players for individual training next week. I'm not sure that helps too much in soccer, though, I guess it's better doing the fitness stuff they're all assigned at the team facilities. But I wonder if the NHL might follow suit soon...at least let the guys get on the ice on their own and start doing individual fitness drills to start getting some on-ice fitness back.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat May 02, 2020 11:30 pm

largegarlic wrote:Not news from the NHL, but MLS has apparently given teams the go-ahead to re-open their facilities for their players for individual training next week. I'm not sure that helps too much in soccer, though, I guess it's better doing the fitness stuff they're all assigned at the team facilities. But I wonder if the NHL might follow suit soon...at least let the guys get on the ice on their own and start doing individual fitness drills to start getting some on-ice fitness back.

I can't see the NHL following suit because of the expense of freezing the ice compared to a soccer field.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Sun May 03, 2020 1:36 am

FLPensFan wrote:So, here's my take on how I would handle some of these things:

Ive said some of the following in the other thread but
1. the big issues with having draft before end of season or before they even know if they will finish the season
-draft order! (if the season restarts, the draft order could change then the standings on that date, if it doesn't restart then that is a different story)
-you cant make draft day trades involving players if they still have to finish season

2. regular season- I totally disagree with you on this. Not only does finishing the regular season help give more credence to who makes the playoffs and who they face, but would also help guys to be in playing shape, even with a training camp nobody is going to be ready to playoff intensity, the regular season would be the equivalent of having preseason before the regular season. You ramp up slower in preseason of course and are judging who makes the team so it would be different in that aspect, but you aren't going to have somebody just suddenly not play a game in a couple months and instantly play at a high level. Heck somebody like Guentzel would have not played an actual game in 6 months. Like you said there is no perfect solution but I think you either have to finish the regular season or cancel the entire season and not even do a playoffs, no options in between imo.

3. I think starting the next season right after thanksgiving is doable is they finish this one in late august(which if they have training camp in June, start a condensed version of playoffs in July(best of 5 for the early rounds) is possible. You still get rid of All star break and week long bye weeks, push the end of 20-21 season to early may instead of early april and play a slightly more condensed schedule than normal. You can still get the full 82 in. Sure it means next season also goes long but not to a huge extent. The other option is start in December but cut out maybe 8 games to maybe 74. Which accounts to a couple weeks.

4. this is a creative solution that I think might be feasible, agreed that there would need to be some type of reasonable limit that they can use(leafs cant suddenly deduct one of their 10million a year players)
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed May 06, 2020 4:30 pm

I agree with the need for some regular season before jumping into playoffs. 5 at least before transitioning to post season, but preferably 10, and at that point just run out the regular season.

I have higher hopes of a completed full season and playoffs at some point for this year than next, tbh. I think next season will be at risk in a big way.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Great58 wrote:I agree with the need for some regular season before jumping into playoffs. 5 at least before transitioning to post season, but preferably 10, and at that point just run out the regular season.

I have higher hopes of a completed full season and playoffs at some point for this year than next, tbh. I think next season will be at risk in a big way.

I agree. Finish this season no matter what, they determine if next season needs to be shortened.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 06, 2020 6:14 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Great58 wrote:I agree with the need for some regular season before jumping into playoffs. 5 at least before transitioning to post season, but preferably 10, and at that point just run out the regular season.

I agree. Finish this season no matter what, they determine if next season needs to be shortened.

They don't want to start the 20-21 season until they can get fans in the stands and that's probably Dec -Jan before that can happen, so there's plenty of time to finish this regular season and then start the playoffs.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sigwolf on Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 pm

pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

They don't want to start the 20-21 season until they can get fans in the stands and that's probably Dec -Jan before that can happen, so there's plenty of time to finish this regular season and then start the playoffs.

They (the owners) don't want hockey *at all* until they can get fans in the stands. There is no payoff from their perspective to having playoffs this year. This season is no different than next season from an owner perspective. This crap is not just going away. There is no money to be made, and no reason to expect there will be in the foreseeable future. This season is done... just end it. Next season is unlikely. The system required for the owners and players to rake in the unrealistic dollar amounts they have come to expect can not exist right now. Accept it. Until there is a proven and accessible vaccine for this global issue there will be no return to status quo, and that return is required for what is, quite honestly, frivolous spending. A widely accessible vaccine can not reasonably be expected for at least another year, so to be realistic, we should be hoping for a start to the 21-22 season.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 06, 2020 8:16 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

They (the owners) don't want hockey *at all* until they can get fans in the stands. There is no payoff from their perspective to having playoffs this year. This season is no different than next season from an owner perspective. This crap is not just going away. There is no money to be made, and no reason to expect there will be in the foreseeable future. This season is done... just end it. Next season is unlikely. The system required for the owners and players to rake in the unrealistic dollar amounts they have come to expect can not exist right now. Accept it. Until there is a proven and accessible vaccine for this global issue there will be no return to status quo, and that return is required for what is, quite honestly, frivolous spending. A widely accessible vaccine can not reasonably be expected for at least another year, so to be realistic, we should be hoping for a start to the 21-22 season.

If the owners weren't willing to play games without fans then the season would have been canceled a month ago.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Wed May 06, 2020 9:13 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:They (the owners) don't want hockey *at all* until they can get fans in the stands. There is no payoff from their perspective to having playoffs this year. This season is no different than next season from an owner perspective. This crap is not just going away. There is no money to be made, and no reason to expect there will be in the foreseeable future. This season is done... just end it. Next season is unlikely. The system required for the owners and players to rake in the unrealistic dollar amounts they have come to expect can not exist right now. Accept it. Until there is a proven and accessible vaccine for this global issue there will be no return to status quo, and that return is required for what is, quite honestly, frivolous spending. A widely accessible vaccine can not reasonably be expected for at least another year, so to be realistic, we should be hoping for a start to the 21-22 season.

If the owners weren't willing to play games without fans then the season would have been canceled a month ago.

I imagine it hasn't been cancelled for three reasons. First, no one knows what's going to happen in the next few months so the owners speculating and making something official is premature. Second, if they cancel it the fans will move on. We're still discussing it and I imagine a lot of other fans are. Third, and I think most important, the owners aren't united one way or another.

Even if they wanted to do games without fans, they still have to tackle the issue of getting everyone together in the same place and where that place will be. How many NHL players are in America, Canada, Europe? What is the travel like between those countries, not to mention state to state travel. Honestly haven't read about travel recently, but I know they were stopping people entering Florida. Even if they settle that, what about families of players? The players would almost certainly have to stay together with no family near them.

I think there are just too many questions to realistically think we'll be seeing hockey anytime soon. I'm sure others can come up with more questions than I did.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sigwolf on Wed May 06, 2020 10:20 pm

The bottom line is that it is unrealistic to think there will be any professional sports this year. Nothing has changed with the situation since the beginning of the year, and there is no indication it will change before this calendar year is over. As I said in the previous post, until a vaccine is available to everyone, things can't return to normal. Social distancing does nothing to make the virus less transferable, it just hopes to make the transfer less frequent. If you bring people back together through sports or other social gatherings, we're right back where we were, and this whole sacrifice was for nothing. Sports without fans in the seats don't bring in the revenue to pay the people to play those sports. Owners aren't willing to accept this because they don't want to accept losing money. People don't want to accept losing sports.

If sports weren't feasible to play in March, then nothing has changed since then to make them more feasible in June, September, or December. This isn't going to happen, or if it does, then the harm we've caused the global economy was for nothing. You can't have it both ways. Nothing has lessened the risk of Covid-19, so how is this even a rational discussion?
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Thu May 07, 2020 1:20 am

Sigwolf wrote:The bottom line is that it is unrealistic to think there will be any professional sports this year. Nothing has changed with the situation since the beginning of the year, and there is no indication it will change before this calendar year is over. As I said in the previous post, until a vaccine is available to everyone, things can't return to normal. Social distancing does nothing to make the virus less transferable, it just hopes to make the transfer less frequent. If you bring people back together through sports or other social gatherings, we're right back where we were, and this whole sacrifice was for nothing. Sports without fans in the seats don't bring in the revenue to pay the people to play those sports. Owners aren't willing to accept this because they don't want to accept losing money. People don't want to accept losing sports.

If sports weren't feasible to play in March, then nothing has changed since then to make them more feasible in June, September, or December. This isn't going to happen, or if it does, then the harm we've caused the global economy was for nothing. You can't have it both ways. Nothing has lessened the risk of Covid-19, so how is this even a rational discussion?

Sorry to poke holes in your gloom and doom argument but baseball is supposed to submit a proposal to the MLBPA next week regarding playing this season(in what form we don't know yet), NFL also supposed to finalize schedule for this year. A lot of the revenue these sports get isn't from ticket revenue, its from TV deals. Of course this varies based on which sport and even which franchise. While ticket and concessions are a decent portion, the biggest source of income for most MLB teams for example is local TV deals(which is why some teams can spend a lot more right after the negotiate new contracts with the tv providers). Shutting down all sports for the year is not a rational discussion.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Thu May 07, 2020 9:42 am

If they play in empty arenas do you think they will allow arenas to pump in crown noise? I would hope so to at least provide some type of atmosphere and home ice advantage
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 am

Skatingpen wrote:If they play in empty arenas do you think they will allow arenas to pump in crown noise? I would hope so to at least provide some type of atmosphere and home ice advantage

I thought I read that somewhere that pumped in crowd noise would be added to the empty buildings.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu May 07, 2020 11:39 am

I'm all in on cancelling the season and hope we don't lose next season as well. Said this in the other thread, but I don't want to see the SCP without fans or the winner crowned unless it's a legit 82 games + 16 wins.

If the next season looks to be in peril as well, I'd try to do something without fans to generate revenue and interest in the interim. I like the idea of the 32 team tournament. You could do something like that, PPV style with no fans. Winning team gets $$$, some sort of trophy, and perhaps some draft pick to incentivize the organization.

There's no perfect answer here, and the fact is the 2021 season is in jeopardy right now so I'd start to work on a plan b that does 2 things....Generates $ and Generates interest ~ But keep the Stanley Cup Trophy locked up for the foreseeable future!
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu May 07, 2020 2:08 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:If they play in empty arenas do you think they will allow arenas to pump in crown noise? I would hope so to at least provide some type of atmosphere and home ice advantage

I thought I read that somewhere that pumped in crowd noise would be added to the empty buildings.

Nashville already does this.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 07, 2020 4:22 pm

FWIW

"The dynamic changes by the day, if not by the hour, but sources on both sides of the aisle have told The Post that the NHL’s reopening plan has shifted from completing the 2019-20 regular season to instead staging a 24-team tournament that would include a best-of-three play-in round."
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 07, 2020 9:52 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:FWIW

"The dynamic changes by the day, if not by the hour, but sources on both sides of the aisle have told The Post that the NHL’s reopening plan has shifted from completing the 2019-20 regular season to instead staging a 24-team tournament that would include a best-of-three play-in round."

The concept of not playing hockey for three months and then going directly into the playoffs is a joke. No need to have an 82 game season completed, but teams need to play some games before going to the playoffs. The same genius that came up with this concept is probably the one who wants to have the draft before the season is over.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins