Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

So draft picks/prospects given up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

So draft picks/prospects given up

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:47 pm

In your opinion should teams that gave up draft picks or prospects for rentals have some type of compensatory picks given when the season is canceled? IMO I think they should have some sort of compensation. Sorry this is not COVID-19 related but I think it is a valid question. While the virus was not expected, it is kind of unfair to teams that were affected since the season will probably be cancelled
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: So draft picks/prospects given up

Postby interstorm on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:59 pm

I don't. To me, a season is a season and if this one is over then oh well. Trades should include all levels of risk assessment, even including an unlikely global pandemic. If comp picks are handed out, then we're pushing teams further down the line (say a 3rd round pick is given...well whomever would have drafted at maybe #65 is now #66...or even #70). Now at that level maybe teams aren't jockeying for the same player so this doesn't matter...but I think there shouldn't be any compensation to teams that lost out when they "could" have included language, and have been laughed at, as part of the trade but didn't (and been able to go back and say "I told you so"). That's just me, though...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:10 pm

interstorm wrote:I don't. To me, a season is a season and if this one is over then oh well. Trades should include all levels of risk assessment, even including an unlikely global pandemic. If comp picks are handed out, then we're pushing teams further down the line (say a 3rd round pick is given...well whomever would have drafted at maybe #65 is now #66...or even #70). Now at that level maybe teams aren't jockeying for the same player so this doesn't matter...but I think there shouldn't be any compensation to teams that lost out when they "could" have included language, and have been laughed at, as part of the trade but didn't (and been able to go back and say "I told you so"). That's just me, though...

I think the big problem will be trades with "if they make the playoffs" or "if they win the Stanley Cup", etc. Do those draft picks get pushed since technically no playoffs equals didn't make the playoffs.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby interstorm on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:03 pm

I'd contend that if there were no playoffs, then they didn't make the playoffs (nobody did). Again - totally understand the murky waters but just my stance on this.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:03 pm

yeah the problem is the conditional picks more so than the picks given up for rentals.

For example if somebody gives up a 3rd round pick for a rental no conditions attached, its a third round pick period. But if in the same example the third is conditional on the team making the playoffs then things get complicated IF they do not finish the regular season and have the regular amount of teams in the playoffs. If they do an expanded playoffs then that condition gets blurred. Or if they don't finish the regular season and instead start the playoffs with difference amount of games played, and a team gets switched in/out because of that. Or if the season does end up getting totally cancelled.

Luckily I don't think there was many picks that had that specific condition, the rest of the conditions would be treated as normal I would think. If somebody had the condition of scoring 10 points with the new team and fail to get that because of the less games, oh well the condition is failed.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:26 pm

Hatrick wrote:yeah the problem is the conditional picks more so than the picks given up for rentals.

For example if somebody gives up a 3rd round pick for a rental no conditions attached, its a third round pick period. But if in the same example the third is conditional on the team making the playoffs then things get complicated IF they do not finish the regular season and have the regular amount of teams in the playoffs. If they do an expanded playoffs then that condition gets blurred. Or if they don't finish the regular season and instead start the playoffs with difference amount of games played, and a team gets switched in/out because of that. Or if the season does end up getting totally cancelled.

Luckily I don't think there was many picks that had that specific condition, the rest of the conditions would be treated as normal I would think. If somebody had the condition of scoring 10 points with the new team and fail to get that because of the less games, oh well the condition is failed.

I think since they played some games that trades for UFA would be complete since there was nothing pending. I think it'll be a difficult decision but I'm hoping the league lets teams work it out between themselves once the season is cancelled. A team like the Pens that are pretty well a shoo in for the playoffs, the pick was expected to be lost and the condition was in case of a major downturn in the teams fortunes. Teams like Montreal and Florida, which are usually on the cusp one way or another, it becomes a bit more murky.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:49 am

Conditions need to be met for trades, sucks for the teams that took sure bets on assuming, rightfully so, that certain partners would make or excel in the playoffs.

The one wrinkle will be the draft lottery, will they include everyone or just the bottom 15 teams?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins