Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Top 16 Expansion Era Centers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Top 16 Expansion Era Centers

Postby Stillerz Bar on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:36 pm

Yeah, Yeah, I know these lists are totally subjective but in looking at this one it's actually pretty decently put together and heck, what else do we have to do while we're stuck at home but talk about things like this - right?

This particular list is just for centers and lists what this group of 14 NHL writers ranked their top 16 over the last 53 years since expansion and the Pens had 4 of the 16 that played on their Championship teams (3 of the 4 only played in PIT).... a full 25% of the best centers played for our favorite franchise!!

https://www.nhl.com/news/super-16-nhl-p ... 2000608611

2 - Lemieux (2 Stanley Cups)
4 - Crosby (3 Stanley Cups)
10 - Francis (2 Stanley Cups with the Pens)
14 - Malkin (3 Stanley Cups)

When you think about it, the Pens have been amazingly fortunate with some of the greatest players since they entered the league and while they had good players before Mario, since he entered the league they have pretty much had superstars on their roster every year. Just since 1987 the Pens have had the points leads 15 times and the goal scoring leader 5 times.

So happy I grew up with the Pens and have continued following them ever since!!
Last edited by Stillerz Bar on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Top 16 Expansion Era Cetners

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm

I am glad that Francis got love. He tends to be grossly under rated.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:11 pm

Stillerz Bar wrote:Yeah, Yeah, I know these lists are totally subjective but in looking at this one it's actually pretty decently put together and heck, what else do we have to do while we're stuck at home but talk about things like this - right?

This particular list is just for centers and lists what this group of 14 NHL writers ranked their top 16 over the last 53 years since expansion and the Pens had 4 of the 16 that played on their Championship teams (3 of the 4 only played in PIT).... a full 25% of the best centers played for our favorite franchise!!

When you think about it, the Pens have been amazingly fortunate with some of the greatest players since they entered the league and while they had good players before Mario, since he entered the league they have pretty much had superstars on their roster every year. Just since 1987 the Pens have had the points leads 15 times and the goal scoring leader 5 times.

Trottier was on there.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Stillerz Bar wrote:Yeah, Yeah, I know these lists are totally subjective but in looking at this one it's actually pretty decently put together and heck, what else do we have to do while we're stuck at home but talk about things like this - right?

Trottier was on there.

Yikes - not sure how I missed him. That makes the Pens representation on the list even more impressive.

8. Trottier (2 Stanley Cups with the Pens)

Add in Jagr as one of the best wingers of all time and we are spoiled rotten...... and happy to be spoiled :fist:
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:54 am

Decent list but Lindros in the top 16 is a joke and McDavid right now that close to cracking it would be too. Modano and Federov need to be higher.

But someone remind me again where Toews was in the top 100 and where Malkin was?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins