Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Updates on Penguins and Jake Guentzel

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Updates on Penguins and Jake Guentzel

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Jim wrote:The Pens have signed 2F and 2D recently.
F - O'Connor, college 21
F - Zohorna, Czech 24
D - Reilly, college 22
D - Lee, college 23

None of them might work out, but if they create competition for someone else to make it then it’s worth the signing. I know people dismiss draft picks and prospects, but creating competition is good for someone to emerge. Look at Conor Sheary. I don’t care if he’s a byproduct of Sid, his numbers are in line with 1st round picks from his draft year. Point is, one of those 4 can emerge or they can push someone else to emerge who otherwise might not.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
ville5 wrote:https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/04/30/penguins-radim-zohorna-czech-contract-wbs-wilkes-barre-scouting-report-tlh/

The Penguins signed undrafted Czech forward Radim Zohorna to a one-year, two-way entry-level contract on Wednesday.

Zohorna's agent said in a Czech press release that eight other NHL teams were in the mix for Zohorna, but once the Penguins showed interest, "it was practically decided. ... It was clear that there was huge respect for him from this organization."

Zohorna added in the release that he was a Penguins fan when he was a child, and owned Jaromir Jagr and Marty Strakajerseys.

"I've always liked the club, so I'm so glad I'm going there," he said. "It is a hockey city, and they've had great results in the past and in the present years."

Zohorna spoke about being anxious to meet Sidney Crosby, and said he has "no idea" how he'll react to seeing him. He added that he "will probably have to prepare an introductory sentence" for when he meets Crosby in training camp.

What kind of player did the Penguins get in Zohorna? Let’s take a look:

RADIM ZOHORNA
Position: Center/wing
Height: 6-6
Weight: 233
Shoots: Left

BACKGROUND

Zohorna is a native of Havlíčkův Brod, Czech Republic. In the last six seasons, he's played in 173 games in the top Czech league, the Extraliga, and 93 games in the second-level Czech league.

Zohorna played for HC Kometa Brno in his first four professional seasons, and was traded to BK Mlada Boleslav midway through the 2018-19 season. The 2019-20 season was the first year in which he spent the entire season in the Extraliga without any games in the Czech 2 league.

Jim Rutherford called Zohorna a "smart player with good hockey sense that uses his big size to his advantage." One area where that size is an advantage is in the crease, where Zohorna is able to use his 6-foot-6 frame to effectively create screens and get redirect chances:Even with his size, Zohorna is a strong, mobile skater. But don't expect him to use that size to fight.

"I have never fought in my life. Maybe I'm so tall that no one wants to fight with me," he told Indes.cz in 2018. "I don't even know how to do it. I don't get into it much yet, but at the worst I would go for it."

Rutherford also said that Zohorna is also capable of playing all three forward positions -- center and both wings.

I would assume this signing means the Penguins will not sign their 2015 7th round pick Pavlychev from Penn State since Zohorna seems to be an identical type of player.

That could be the case but I doubt either are locks to make an nhl impact so why not sign both and maybe one of them hits?

Or have them play with Bjugstad to have a 6’6 and above line.

Ha I'm down for that, you could call the line "the gentle giants"

With that wingspan, it can be called the “you shall not PASS” line.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Fri May 01, 2020 12:21 am

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
That could be the case but I doubt either are locks to make an nhl impact so why not sign both and maybe one of them hits?

Or have them play with Bjugstad to have a 6’6 and above line.

Ha I'm down for that, you could call the line "the gentle giants"

With that wingspan, it can be called the “you shall not PASS” line.[/quote]
would scare the heck out of an opposing line until they figure out they don't fight and aren't overly physical. If still had Oleksiak could add him to the towers on the ice and have one who could at least fight.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 27, 2020 11:11 am

With Bjugstad out for the season (he had a setback and ANOTHER surgery this week), I think the lines will likely shake out like this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary(Simon)
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
xSimon,Rodrigues, Lafferty, Angello

Dumo-Letang
Petey-Marino
JJ-Schultz
x-Ruhwedel, Riikola, Trotman, POJ

Murray
Jarry
DeSmith

If I have heard correctly, teams will be allowed a 28 man roster (not including goalies), and as many goalies as you want. (not confirmed). So, with the roster and subs listed above, Penguins still technically have room for 2 more players from the minors.

The biggest thing to watch for me will be Guentzel and Zucker. Will Guentzel have recovered enough (GMJR said he is still rehabbing but expected to be ready for playoffs), and, will Zucker mesh enough with Geno for those top 2 lines to be effective. If those top 2 work, I like our bottom 6 a lot. Marleau has size, Hornqvist plays physical. The 4th line has been a pest physically and defensively all year.

I like the look of this team heading into this playoff/tournament format.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lesky on Wed May 27, 2020 12:07 pm

So does people still believe Bjugstads term was a great pickup? Thats was the main reason people were happy with the trade, that Bjugstad had term. Bjugstad was pretty useless if FLA when I watched and FLA fans was happy they got rid of him.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Abcpens10 on Wed May 27, 2020 12:18 pm

FLPensFan wrote:With Bjugstad out for the season (he had a setback and ANOTHER surgery this week), I think the lines will likely shake out like this:

Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumo-Letang
Petey-Marino
JJ-Schultz

Murray
Jarry
DeSmith

If I have heard correctly, teams will be allowed a 28 man roster (not including goalies), and as many goalies as you want. (not confirmed). So, with the roster and subs listed above, Penguins still technically have room for 2 more players from the minors.

The biggest thing to watch for me will be Guentzel and Zucker. Will Guentzel have recovered enough (GMJR said he is still rehabbing but expected to be ready for playoffs), and, will Zucker mesh enough with Geno for those top 2 lines to be effective. If those top 2 work, I like our bottom 6 a lot. Marleau has size, Hornqvist plays physical. The 4th line has been a pest physically and defensively all year.

Simon is out for season.
Abcpens10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Abcpens10 on Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm

I'm looking forward if/when they come back. Give me something to watch hopefully they have games at 1, 4, 7, and 10
Abcpens10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Wed May 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Lesky wrote:So does people still believe Bjugstads term was a great pickup? Thats was the main reason people were happy with the trade, that Bjugstad had term. Bjugstad was pretty useless if FLA when I watched and FLA fans was happy they got rid of him.

I think that you might be overstating the original reaction. People being okay with the pickup is very different than people thinking that it was a great pickup.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Abcpens10 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:With Bjugstad out for the season (he had a setback and ANOTHER surgery this week), I think the lines will likely shake out like this:

Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumo-Letang
Petey-Marino
JJ-Schultz

Murray
Jarry
DeSmith

Simon is out for season.

Already forgot he was out, too. So, that to me pretty much gives Sheary the job for now, and opens up another spot for a young WBS guy to make the 28 man roster.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 27, 2020 1:50 pm

Jim wrote:
Lesky wrote:So does people still believe Bjugstads term was a great pickup? Thats was the main reason people were happy with the trade, that Bjugstad had term. Bjugstad was pretty useless if FLA when I watched and FLA fans was happy they got rid of him.

I think that you might be overstating the original reaction. People being okay with the pickup is very different than people thinking that it was a great pickup.

I was cautiously optimistic with Bjugstad. I knew he had the ability to be better than he was most times in Florida, but I also knew of his repeated injury history. From the Penguins management perspective, I have heard over and over that McCann was really the piece that they wanted in that trade, and he has not disappointed. I'd like to see him increase his output a bit, but, that just raises his cap hit too so...
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 27, 2020 3:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

I was cautiously optimistic with Bjugstad. I knew he had the ability to be better than he was most times in Florida, but I also knew of his repeated injury history. From the Penguins management perspective, I have heard over and over that McCann was really the piece that they wanted in that trade, and he has not disappointed. I'd like to see him increase his output a bit, but, that just raises his cap hit too so...

Bjugstad is a plus when you're over the cap and need someone on the LTIR. You can count on him for that.....
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 27, 2020 3:25 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Bjugstad is a plus when you're over the cap and need someone on the LTIR. You can count on him for that.....

A super-sized version of Brittle Beau Bennett.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins