Updates on Penguins and Jake Guentzel

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Updates on Penguins and Jake Guentzel

Postby BONVIE on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 pm

It's a great feeling to talk hockey isn't it!

On Guentzel returning: "I would expect that, knowing Jake Guentzel, that he's going to be ready. His rehab is going well. He's at the point that he'll return home and continue to rehab on his own. All the reports that I have, there haven't been any setbacks at this point." Jim Rutherford

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/3/25/211 ... oronavirus
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Updates on Penguins and Jake Guentzel

Postby itissteeltime on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 pm

If we somehow get hockey back this year, it seems like Jake has a solid chance to play. Our lines 1-4 will be ridiculous.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 pm

If hockey comes back at a time where Jake can be healthy, I'd probably look at this as our initial forward lines:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Sheary/Simon-McCann-Bjugstad
ZAR/Rodrigues-Blueger-Tanev
xLafferty

There are some ifs and conditions with those lines:

1) Hornqvist has to produce as playoff Hornqvist, otherwise he goes back to the 3rd line, and Sheary or Simon step up to line 1.

2) Bjugstad has to prove he can stay healthy, but, if he's in the lineup, as much as I have been against him at wing, I'd probably start him there.

3) Sheary and Simon split time on 3rd line. Rodrigues likely sits first for ZAR. Lafferty as an extra.

Rutherford admitted to Dejan that his team was a bit worn out. All the injuries started catching up to them, and they were over using guys so much they couldn't maintain the same energy. At least, that appeared to be Rutherford's excuse for why they were losing. He said while nobody likes this break or the reason for it, it could actually be good for the Penguins to get some rest and get some guys healthy.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:If hockey comes back at a time where Jake can be healthy, I'd probably look at this as our initial forward lines:

Zucker-Malkin-Rust
xLafferty

1) Hornqvist has to produce as playoff Hornqvist, otherwise he goes back to the 3rd line, and Sheary or Simon step up to line 1.

2) Bjugstad has to prove he can stay healthy, but, if he's in the lineup, as much as I have been against him at wing, I'd probably start him there.

3) Sheary and Simon split time on 3rd line. Rodrigues likely sits first for ZAR. Lafferty as an extra.

Rutherford admitted to Dejan that his team was a bit worn out. All the injuries started catching up to them, and they were over using guys so much they couldn't maintain the same energy. At least, that appeared to be Rutherford's excuse for why they were losing. He said while nobody likes this break or the reason for it, it could actually be good for the Penguins to get some rest and get some guys healthy.

You are even forgetting Marleau in your lines. Which imo would put him in, and bump Shimon out initially.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:26 am

Hatrick wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:If hockey comes back at a time where Jake can be healthy, I'd probably look at this as our initial forward lines:

Zucker-Malkin-Rust
xLafferty

You are even forgetting Marleau in your lines. Which imo would put him in, and bump Shimon out initially.

See, damn it, hockey's been gone too long. The whole time I was sitting there saying...I feel like I am forgetting someone. Yes, I'd bump Simon/Sheary out for Marleau.

Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Bjugstad
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

If Bjugstad doesn't work or manages to reinjure himself after a few shifts, then I put Simon or Sheary in for him.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby alancac98 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Question: would you consider moving Guentzel to Malkin's line and moving Zucker to Crosby's. The Guentzel-Malkin-Rust line was kicking some major ass while Crosby was out. Crosby and Zucker seemed to have some chemistry
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm

alancac98 wrote:Question: would you consider moving Guentzel to Malkin's line and moving Zucker to Crosby's. The Guentzel-Malkin-Rust line was kicking some major ass while Crosby was out. Crosby and Zucker seemed to have some chemistry

They're not going to have Guentzel until the playoffs, so it would make sense to have pairs on a line who are familiar with each other. Guentzel has played with Malkin, while Zucker hasn't played any meaningful minutes with Malkin. So keeping the Zucker-Crosby and Guentzel-Malkin pairs together is really the only way to go forward.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Expecting this season will prove to be a write-off, to be fair.

Would be very strange to have everyone healthy, regardless.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hörnqvist
Blueger-Bjugstad-Tanev
xSimon, xZAR, xLafferty, xRodrigues

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Schultz
xRiikola, xRuhwedel

Jarry
Murray
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Expecting this season will prove to be a write-off, to be fair.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hörnqvist
Blueger-Bjugstad-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Schultz
xRiikola, xRuhwedel

Jarry
Murray

5 lines of offense and not 1 solid defensive pair. Still do not understand why Rutherford did not address this at the deadline.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:33 pm

alancac98 wrote:Question: would you consider moving Guentzel to Malkin's line and moving Zucker to Crosby's. The Guentzel-Malkin-Rust line was kicking some major ass while Crosby was out. Crosby and Zucker seemed to have some chemistry

earlier in season I would have said no way, but the way Guentzel was playing with Malkin when Sid was out, I would definitely be fine with that as well. Before they kept on being forced to rely on wingers playing on any line, now they would have somewhat of an established top six wingers, with crosbys RW being the one spot that possibly rotates a bit between guys outside the top six.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Live the enthusiasm but I’d give this season a 95% chance of being over. Would love to be wrong.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Pens/Caps game 2 from 2009 on NBCSN. Dueling hat tricks
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby alancac98 on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:39 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:Expecting this season will prove to be a write-off, to be fair.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hörnqvist
Blueger-Bjugstad-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Schultz
xRiikola, xRuhwedel

Jarry
Murray

I really don't like the idea of Bjugstad centering the 4th line. I really don't think he truly fits anywhere right now. I would rather have Zar, Blueger, Tanev on line 4. That 4th line has speed and tenacity - not so much with Bjugstad centering it.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby alancac98 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:33 pm

DelPen wrote:Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

If they play (and I doubt they do), this is how I think the lines will look!
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:42 pm

Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

No confidence in Bjugstad being healthy when the puck finally drops? I cant see them playing Bleuger over a healthy Bjugstad.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:24 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

No confidence in Bjugstad being healthy when the puck finally drops? I cant see them playing Bleuger over a healthy Bjugstad.

Blueger has done much more to earn his playing time as a Penguins than Bjugstad has done.

Just on an offensive production side, Blueger has played 97 regular season games between this year and last season, with 15 goals, 32 points.
Bjugstad, over that same period of time, has played 45 regular season games between this year and last season, with 10 goals and 16 points.

Blueger is a much, much, much better defensive forward, and much, much, better suited to a 4th line role.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:34 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Blueger has done much more to earn his playing time as a Penguins than Bjugstad has done.

Just on an offensive production side, Blueger has played 97 regular season games between this year and last season, with 15 goals, 32 points.
Bjugstad, over that same period of time, has played 45 regular season games between this year and last season, with 10 goals and 16 points.

Blueger is a much, much, much better defensive forward, and much, much, better suited to a 4th line role.

I think he can become a very good 3rd line center, ala Bonino. I think he’d score more if put into a move offensive situation. Him, Tanev, ZAR are more of a shutdown line and any offense is fine. I think if they played more of an offensive posture, we’d see more scoring. Problem with that is, who is the shut down line then?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:04 am

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I would leave the blueger line intact as the fourth line. They are very good at that role as a whole.

I would still at least initially put Bjugstad in, but I would rather have him at center than wing, so that pushes McCann back to LW, I think Marleau can play RW with Sid? We didn't play the Sharks much so hard to remember if he plays both wings or not. Which bumps Sheary out of the lineup. If bjugstad gets injuried or doesn't look right then I would put Sheary back in and take Bjugstad out, likely leading to that lineup above.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:51 am

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020 ... eport-tlh/

The Penguins signed undrafted Czech forward Radim Zohorna to a one-year, two-way entry-level contract on Wednesday.

Zohorna's agent said in a Czech press release that eight other NHL teams were in the mix for Zohorna, but once the Penguins showed interest, "it was practically decided. ... It was clear that there was huge respect for him from this organization."

Zohorna added in the release that he was a Penguins fan when he was a child, and owned Jaromir Jagr and Marty Strakajerseys.

"I've always liked the club, so I'm so glad I'm going there," he said. "It is a hockey city, and they've had great results in the past and in the present years."

Zohorna spoke about being anxious to meet Sidney Crosby, and said he has "no idea" how he'll react to seeing him. He added that he "will probably have to prepare an introductory sentence" for when he meets Crosby in training camp.

What kind of player did the Penguins get in Zohorna? Let’s take a look:

RADIM ZOHORNA
Position: Center/wing
Height: 6-6
Weight: 233
Shoots: Left

BACKGROUND

Zohorna is a native of Havlíčkův Brod, Czech Republic. In the last six seasons, he's played in 173 games in the top Czech league, the Extraliga, and 93 games in the second-level Czech league.

Zohorna played for HC Kometa Brno in his first four professional seasons, and was traded to BK Mlada Boleslav midway through the 2018-19 season. The 2019-20 season was the first year in which he spent the entire season in the Extraliga without any games in the Czech 2 league.

Jim Rutherford called Zohorna a "smart player with good hockey sense that uses his big size to his advantage." One area where that size is an advantage is in the crease, where Zohorna is able to use his 6-foot-6 frame to effectively create screens and get redirect chances:Even with his size, Zohorna is a strong, mobile skater. But don't expect him to use that size to fight.

"I have never fought in my life. Maybe I'm so tall that no one wants to fight with me," he told Indes.cz in 2018. "I don't even know how to do it. I don't get into it much yet, but at the worst I would go for it."

Rutherford also said that Zohorna is also capable of playing all three forward positions -- center and both wings.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:29 am

ville5 wrote:https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/04/30/penguins-radim-zohorna-czech-contract-wbs-wilkes-barre-scouting-report-tlh/

The Penguins signed undrafted Czech forward Radim Zohorna to a one-year, two-way entry-level contract on Wednesday.

Zohorna's agent said in a Czech press release that eight other NHL teams were in the mix for Zohorna, but once the Penguins showed interest, "it was practically decided. ... It was clear that there was huge respect for him from this organization."

Zohorna added in the release that he was a Penguins fan when he was a child, and owned Jaromir Jagr and Marty Strakajerseys.

"I've always liked the club, so I'm so glad I'm going there," he said. "It is a hockey city, and they've had great results in the past and in the present years."

Zohorna spoke about being anxious to meet Sidney Crosby, and said he has "no idea" how he'll react to seeing him. He added that he "will probably have to prepare an introductory sentence" for when he meets Crosby in training camp.

RADIM ZOHORNA

BACKGROUND

Zohorna is a native of Havlíčkův Brod, Czech Republic. In the last six seasons, he's played in 173 games in the top Czech league, the Extraliga, and 93 games in the second-level Czech league.

Zohorna played for HC Kometa Brno in his first four professional seasons, and was traded to BK Mlada Boleslav midway through the 2018-19 season. The 2019-20 season was the first year in which he spent the entire season in the Extraliga without any games in the Czech 2 league.

Jim Rutherford called Zohorna a "smart player with good hockey sense that uses his big size to his advantage." One area where that size is an advantage is in the crease, where Zohorna is able to use his 6-foot-6 frame to effectively create screens and get redirect chances:Even with his size, Zohorna is a strong, mobile skater. But don't expect him to use that size to fight.

"I have never fought in my life. Maybe I'm so tall that no one wants to fight with me," he told Indes.cz in 2018. "I don't even know how to do it. I don't get into it much yet, but at the worst I would go for it."

Rutherford also said that Zohorna is also capable of playing all three forward positions -- center and both wings.

I would assume this signing means the Penguins will not sign their 2015 7th round pick Pavlychev from Penn State since Zohorna seems to be an identical type of player.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:31 am

pens_CT wrote:
ville5 wrote:https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/04/30/penguins-radim-zohorna-czech-contract-wbs-wilkes-barre-scouting-report-tlh/

RADIM ZOHORNA

BACKGROUND

I would assume this signing means the Penguins will not sign their 2015 7th round pick Pavlychev from Penn State since Zohorna seems to be an identical type of player.

That could be the case but I doubt either are locks to make an nhl impact so why not sign both and maybe one of them hits?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

RADIM ZOHORNA

BACKGROUND

That could be the case but I doubt either are locks to make an nhl impact so why not sign both and maybe one of them hits?

Or have them play with Bjugstad to have a 6’6 and above line.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:04 am

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

RADIM ZOHORNA

BACKGROUND

Or have them play with Bjugstad to have a 6’6 and above line.

Ha I'm down for that, you could call the line "the gentle giants"
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 am

The Pens have signed 2F and 2D recently.
F - O'Connor, college 21
F - Zohorna, Czech 24
D - Reilly, college 22
D - Lee, college 23

Obviously anything can happen (Marino) but I wouldn't expect any off these guys to me contributors in Pittsburgh next year. However, there are a lot of 50 contract spots due to open this summer.

UFA AHLers - Due to their ages, I pretty much expect that these guys are what they are going to be. I do not expect them to get much better than they currently are.
F Johnson 25: Signed out of college 3 years ago. Seems to be an okay playmaker in the AHL, but has only 13 games up since signing.
F Roy, 26: Brought in via recent trade, signed out of college 4 years ago. Does not seem to have a NHL future, but very good AHLer.
F DiPauli 26: Signed out of college 4 years ago. I see him moving on from this organization.
F Barber 26: Brought in via recent trade, signed out of college 5 years ago. Only 12 NHL games over 3 organizations, but an excellent AHL level player with 0.77 points per game. Worth keeping.
F Varone 29: Brought in via recent trade. 9 years pro, has played for 3 NHL teams over 5 of those years. 0.80 points per game in the AHL.
I think that Johnson and DiPauli will be moving on. I think that Barber is a keep. Roy and Varone are question marks, and would probably depend more on their "extras" (leadership, etc)

RFA AHLers
F Miletic 22: Undrafted, signed 3 years ago. Should be tendered.
F Knott 23: Brought in via recent trade, bumped down to Wheeling. Probably moving on.
F Anegllo 24: Drafted in 14 but went to college. Probably tendered.
F Lafferty 25: Drafted in 14 but went to college. Played in Pittsburgh most of the year. Should be tendered as the coached seem to like him.
D Nyberg 23: Brought in via recent trade, signed out of Europe a couple years ago. I don't think that he impressed. With no UFA D (AHL) and 2 new guys already being signed on (before summer free agency), I don't think that he will be tendered.
I think that Knott and Kyberg will be moving on.

So, O'Connor, Zohorna, Reilly, and Lee in; Johnson, DiPauli, Knott, and Kyberg out.

As far as in Pittsburgh goes, I figure that UFA Marleau is gone and UFA Schultz is gone. I also expect RFA Murray to get moved (at the draft?) and I do not expect RFA Riikola to return (He played fine, but only got 37/36 games the last two years. I just see him moving on to get a better shot somewhere). I also see Sheary resigning, but for less $. He signed for $3M after his 53 point season, but has not gotten close to repeating that performance since. Murray, Schultz and Sheary's cut ($10M - Pettersson's $3M raise) will give $7M to go towards raises for McCann, Jarry, etc, and whatever else comes down the line (level cap, a UFA, etc).
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins