Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:31 am

One thing I have realized is how little I miss sports. I’m as diehard as they come. I’ve probably missed 20 games since 1990, and each of those would be because of technology malfunctions. Thanks to VCRs and the god-send of Dvr, I’ve always been able to watch everything when it fits into my schedule.

With that being said, I don’t miss hockey at all. I really don’t know why?!? Maybe because I am much more upset that I won’t get to enjoy my sons lacrosse season this Spring, or maybe because I am more nervous they won’t open our community pool this Summer? I can’t quite put my finger on it, but if they cancel the season today, I won’t care one bit....
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:One thing I have realized is how little I miss sports. I’m as diehard as they come. I’ve probably missed 20 games since 1990, and each of those would be because of technology malfunctions. Thanks to VCRs and the god-send of Dvr, I’ve always been able to watch everything when it fits into my schedule.

With that being said, I don’t miss hockey at all. I really don’t know why?!? Maybe because I am much more upset that I won’t get to enjoy my sons lacrosse season this Spring, or maybe because I am more nervous they won’t open our community pool this Summer? I can’t quite put my finger on it, but if they cancel the season today, I won’t care one bit....

Interesting comment. I suspect the owners of sports franchises are sweating bullets because of comments like yours. That is, that fans will come back but not at the same level of interest.

I am mildly missing hockey (and only hockey). My business has been overwhelmed with orders and coming home in the evening and watching the Pens would have been a great diversion.
Last edited by Humperdink on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:04 pm

I, too, mildly miss hockey. I miss racing (auto and motorcycle) a lot. I'm currently watching the virtual IMSA race at Sebring on Twitch, and it is surprisingly entertaining. I was skeptical at first, but the field is entirely made up of real IMSA drivers with a real announcing team, and it's pretty good for a first effort. Racing is likely the best sport suited to a virtual replacement, though, and it wouldn't work so believably for something like hockey or football.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crash66 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Actually was joking with my son last week and said the NHL will finish the regular season and playoffs and award the Cup based on computer simulated games. Perhaps that's not the stretch I thought it was.
Crash66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:37 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:One thing I have realized is how little I miss sports. I’m as diehard as they come. I’ve probably missed 20 games since 1990, and each of those would be because of technology malfunctions. Thanks to VCRs and the god-send of Dvr, I’ve always been able to watch everything when it fits into my schedule.

Interesting comment. I suspect the owners of sports franchises are sweating bullets because of comments like yours. That is, that fans will come back but not at the same level of interest.

I am mildly missing hockey (and only hockey). My business has been overwhelmed with orders and coming home in the evening and watching the Pens would have been a great diversion.

I think people will come back in droves to be honest with you. The people with the money to afford hockey games will be affected, but not to the point of the poor. People are going stir crazy and being in isolation will suck.

I think the smartest thing for the NHL to do is cancel the season, lower ticket prices a bit and create a frenzy of people wanting to get back to watching the game. I think where we'll see a drop off is in ratings, though that depends on how long people are indoors. I suspect that if people are out and about by the summer and life gets back to normal for most people by the time fall comes around they'll forget the pandemic happened.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:05 pm

My experience during the lockouts was that I missed hockey a lot right when the season was canceled, but then as time went by, that feeling of missing it gradually faded. That did not, however, prevent me from getting fully back into it when it came back. I suspect things will go the same way this time.

In general, though, I am missing sports fiercely right now being cooped up in the house without ANY live sports to watch.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:12 pm

largegarlic wrote:My experience during the lockouts was that I missed hockey a lot right when the season was canceled, but then as time went by, that feeling of missing it gradually faded. That did not, however, prevent me from getting fully back into it when it came back. I suspect things will go the same way this time.

In general, though, I am missing sports fiercely right now being cooped up in the house without ANY live sports to watch.

I think the difference between this and a lockout is twofold. First, you're able to do normal day to day living and just miss hockey. Second, you're likely disgusted that it went to a lockout which are usually avoidable.

I think because this involves staying home, avoiding people, going stir crazy, etc. people will be happy to get out of the house. They'll be like a shelter Catholic school child cut loose on spring break.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:23 pm

Maybe because I am always happy to avoid people:)
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:04 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:I think at this point just call off the rest of the season, to include playoffs and :( the SCF, rest up over the offseason and get going in Oct. Nothing short of a miracle can salvage the season. Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer" but that's how I feel.

FWIW and humor only, consider the season if they have to practice social distancing on the ice. :o

The Pens would be unbeatable! Those heavy teams would be no match if they had to stay 6 feet away.....;).
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:I think at this point just call off the rest of the season, to include playoffs and :( the SCF, rest up over the offseason and get going in Oct. Nothing short of a miracle can salvage the season. Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer" but that's how I feel.

FWIW and humor only, consider the season if they have to practice social distancing on the ice. :o

The Pens would be unbeatable! Those heavy teams would be no match if they had to stay 6 feet away.....;).

Pens now, sure, pretty good. Imagine what Lemieux could have accomplished with social distancing on the ice. ;-)
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:40 am

Sigwolf wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

Pens now, sure, pretty good. Imagine what Lemieux could have accomplished with social distancing on the ice. ;-)

Visualize a hockey fight when the combatants must maintain the correct social distance. Picturing a great air fight! Conor Sheary could hold his own against Tom Wilson, but my guess is that Sheary would still fall down.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

Visualize a hockey fight when the combatants must maintain the correct social distance. Picturing a great air fight! Conor Sheary could hold his own against Tom Wilson, but my guess is that Sheary would still fall down.

I needed that!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins