Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby NJ-Pens on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Bettman insists that the cup will be awarded this year, meaning the rest of the season/playoffs will resume as some point. It's no secret that the biggest problem plaguing this team is the lack of chemistry given all the new faces. With an extra 2 weeks - 1 month of practice, you have to like the Pen's chances of getting everyone on the same page just in time for the playoffs. I wonder how Sullivan is handling this extra time? This could really be a huge lift for the boys and it couldn't have come at a better time.
NJ-Pens
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:26 pm

NJ-Pens wrote:Bettman insists that the cup will be awarded this year, meaning the rest of the season/playoffs will resume as some point. It's no secret that the biggest problem plaguing this team is the lack of chemistry given all the new faces. With an extra 2 weeks - 1 month of practice, you have to like the Pen's chances of getting everyone on the same page just in time for the playoffs. I wonder how Sullivan is handling this extra time? This could really be a huge lift for the boys and it couldn't have come at a better time.


With the NHL being shut down, I imagine the players were told to go home. If that's the case (and I haven't checked) then this will hurt all teams, but especially a team like the Penguins which already has chemistry issues.

Edit: TSN states the NHL is urging players to self quarantine.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-urges-players-to ... -1.1457233
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,490
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby NJ-Pens on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Does this mean that teams are explicitly not allowed to gather?
I'd find that impractical and unenforceable.
Whichever team has the leadership to stay sharp during this time will be primed to lift the cup when this inevitably blows over.
There's a relatively easy cup up for grabs at the end of this madness. Who wants it??!!
NJ-Pens
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Steve on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:48 pm

It will help the Pens, and perhaps other older teams and/or teams that started well and tailed off (e.g. the Caps and Pens fit both of those criteria especially looking at their core).

Despite some players getting rest via injuries, the Pens in general have looked like a tired team the last couple of months.

Of course, all of this could be moot.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,959
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Daniel wrote:
NJ-Pens wrote:Bettman insists that the cup will be awarded this year, meaning the rest of the season/playoffs will resume as some point. It's no secret that the biggest problem plaguing this team is the lack of chemistry given all the new faces. With an extra 2 weeks - 1 month of practice, you have to like the Pen's chances of getting everyone on the same page just in time for the playoffs. I wonder how Sullivan is handling this extra time? This could really be a huge lift for the boys and it couldn't have come at a better time.


With the NHL being shut down, I imagine the players were told to go home. If that's the case (and I haven't checked) then this will hurt all teams, but especially a team like the Penguins which already has chemistry issues.

Edit: TSN states the NHL is urging players to self quarantine.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-urges-players-to ... -1.1457233

Didn't the league say no practice and no pregame skates even before they shut down?
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Antonio on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Frankly I figure there is a 50 50 shot they cancel the whole thing. Maybe more than that honestly.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,809
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Here is what I have heard from various sources. Most information I have seen thinks the NHL is going to try and restart in 2-3 weeks. They have not yet decided on the method

1) Regular season is over. Playoffs will start when the NHL resumes.

2) Some regular season games will be rescheduled, but teams likely won't play a full 82 game schedule. Possibility exists that to prevent season/playoffs going too long, early playoff rounds will be 5 game series instead of 7 game series. Several variations of this.

3) Dejan posted today or last night that he has heard there will be "play in games" for the playoffs, where teams 7, 8, 9, and 10 will have 1 game (7 vs 9, 8 vs 10...something like that) to decide the final playoff spots, with no additional regular season games. The problem with this is, a team like Florida is technically team #11, but they have less games played. So how does NHL solve this? Do they go to point shares (percentage of points with games played)? Maybe they should just let team 8, plus teams 9, 10, and 11 battle it out. There will be some tough decisions that have to be made.

Dejan also mentioned teams may be able to start having small on ice sessions with (I don't know his title...the guy most guys train with as they are coming back from injury) Ty Hennes, but again no size has been set. Might only be groups of 5 or something like that.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,930
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm assuming the regular season will get cancelled. The mildest variant will have teams playing some remaining games, but not all. And in a condensed schedule. Then the playoffs.

Is that good for the Penguins?

Yes.

We were not trending well. This ices the puck on that. Yeah it comes back into our end again, but helps even the playing field.



Also likely the whole season and playoffs get cancelled. I don't expect a significant decrease in case growth factor for months to come.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,590
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:19 pm

NJ-Pens wrote:Does this mean that teams are explicitly not allowed to gather?
I'd find that impractical and unenforceable.
Whichever team has the leadership to stay sharp during this time will be primed to lift the cup when this inevitably blows over.
There's a relatively easy cup up for grabs at the end of this madness. Who wants it??!!


They were advised not to gather but I’m sure players are staying sharp. Sullivan won’t be allowed to hold practices, since the league is shut down. If the players want to go to a public rink and practice, nothing can stop them. However, I imagine players won’t do that for a variety of reasons. If it helps the Penguins it’ll be because they’ll be able to reset sores and injuries. It won’t help chemistry.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,490
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Steve wrote:It will help the Pens, and perhaps other older teams and/or teams that started well and tailed off (e.g. the Caps and Pens fit both of those criteria especially looking at their core).

Despite some players getting rest via injuries, the Pens in general have looked like a tired team the last couple of months.

Of course, all of this could be moot.


For sure that’ll help, but it won’t help getting people on the same page, which was the original posts question.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,490
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Steve on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 pm

They have to at lease play some regular season games as some teams have games in hand.

And then you can't say ok some teams get to play one or two regular season games to catch up while other teams get no games going into the playoffs.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,959
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Steve wrote:They have to at lease play some regular season games as some teams have games in hand.

And then you can't say ok some teams get to play one or two regular season games to catch up while other teams get no games going into the playoffs.


I think points per game is the best way to settle it. I think the only change in the playoffs would be Islanders in Blue Jackets out.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,490
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Hatrick on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:52 pm

it sort of depends how it works out but I think it really could. When they first announced it while I didn't necessarily like it my first reaction is it could help the penguins.

1. The Guentzel factor- he was realistically not gonna be back, if the whole season is pushed back say 3 weeks that could make him returning more possible.

2. the issue of them not playing very well recently, it is somewhat of a reset for them (as well as abunch of other teams). That could change any type of momentum. So even if it doesn't break them out of a funk, it could make other teams more rusty.

3. other injuries isn't as big of a factor as maybe a couple weeks ago before they got several players back, but they still have a couple forwards out with injuries so it could give time there.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Hatrick on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Daniel wrote:
Steve wrote:They have to at lease play some regular season games as some teams have games in hand.

And then you can't say ok some teams get to play one or two regular season games to catch up while other teams get no games going into the playoffs.


I think points per game is the best way to settle it. I think the only change in the playoffs would be Islanders in Blue Jackets out.

then you get into the issue of unbalances of schedule, I don't know what the schedules looked like for teams but if somebody gets into the playoffs while they had abunch of tough games down the stretch over a team playing the red wings twice, that isn't gonna be too good.

Points per game is better than overall points but is not the best way.

The best way tbh would be all teams playing what was left of the regular season, A. so teams aren't rusty for playoffs B. So nobody can argue regarding who gets into the playoffs. This would push the playoffs back even further so maybe make up by doing best of 5 the first two series.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby pens_CT on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Here is what I have heard from various sources. Most information I have seen thinks the NHL is going to try and restart in 2-3 weeks. They have not yet decided on the method

1) Regular season is over. Playoffs will start when the NHL resumes.

2) Some regular season games will be rescheduled, but teams likely won't play a full 82 game schedule. Possibility exists that to prevent season/playoffs going too long, early playoff rounds will be 5 game series instead of 7 game series. Several variations of this.

3) Dejan posted today or last night that he has heard there will be "play in games" for the playoffs, where teams 7, 8, 9, and 10 will have 1 game (7 vs 9, 8 vs 10...something like that) to decide the final playoff spots, with no additional regular season games. The problem with this is, a team like Florida is technically team #11, but they have less games played. So how does NHL solve this? Do they go to point shares (percentage of points with games played)? Maybe they should just let team 8, plus teams 9, 10, and 11 battle it out. There will be some tough decisions that have to be made.

Dejan also mentioned teams may be able to start having small on ice sessions with (I don't know his title...the guy most guys train with as they are coming back from injury) Ty Hennes, but again no size has been set. Might only be groups of 5 or something like that.


The league is delusional if they think they're starting back up in 2 to 3 weeks. As the tests increase the numbers affected will go up dramatically and no way will the health officials allow large gatherings.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,743
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Hatrick wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Steve wrote:They have to at lease play some regular season games as some teams have games in hand.

And then you can't say ok some teams get to play one or two regular season games to catch up while other teams get no games going into the playoffs.


I think points per game is the best way to settle it. I think the only change in the playoffs would be Islanders in Blue Jackets out.

then you get into the issue of unbalances of schedule, I don't know what the schedules looked like for teams but if somebody gets into the playoffs while they had abunch of tough games down the stretch over a team playing the red wings twice, that isn't gonna be too good.

Points per game is better than overall points but is not the best way.

The best way tbh would be all teams playing what was left of the regular season, A. so teams aren't rusty for playoffs B. So nobody can argue regarding who gets into the playoffs. This would push the playoffs back even further so maybe make up by doing best of 5 the first two series.


Oh, playing all 82 games is certainly the best way, my thoughts are if they cancelled the rest of the games and went directly to the playoffs. You can’t really do overall points since Columbus has played more games than the Islanders and are in while the Islanders are out. If you add 2 more teams, you add even more complications.

I’d rather your plan of full 82 then best of 5 for 2 rounds.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,490
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:27 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Here is what I have heard from various sources. Most information I have seen thinks the NHL is going to try and restart in 2-3 weeks. They have not yet decided on the method

1) Regular season is over. Playoffs will start when the NHL resumes.

2) Some regular season games will be rescheduled, but teams likely won't play a full 82 game schedule. Possibility exists that to prevent season/playoffs going too long, early playoff rounds will be 5 game series instead of 7 game series. Several variations of this.

3) Dejan posted today or last night that he has heard there will be "play in games" for the playoffs, where teams 7, 8, 9, and 10 will have 1 game (7 vs 9, 8 vs 10...something like that) to decide the final playoff spots, with no additional regular season games. The problem with this is, a team like Florida is technically team #11, but they have less games played. So how does NHL solve this? Do they go to point shares (percentage of points with games played)? Maybe they should just let team 8, plus teams 9, 10, and 11 battle it out. There will be some tough decisions that have to be made.

Dejan also mentioned teams may be able to start having small on ice sessions with (I don't know his title...the guy most guys train with as they are coming back from injury) Ty Hennes, but again no size has been set. Might only be groups of 5 or something like that.


The league is delusional if they think they're starting back up in 2 to 3 weeks. As the tests increase the numbers affected will go up dramatically and no way will the health officials allow large gatherings.


This.

There is just now way this thing sputters out in 3 weeks. We are still in an exponential growth pattern. Until that evens off, we can't even think about restarting the season. Even after the exponential growth pattern stops, you are looking at 6 weeks minimum from there for recovery, and reduction of cases. Late May or early June is the soonest I can realistically see a responsible re-start. By then, I think it's too late, unless you want to push back the start of the next season.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Steve on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:06 pm

I think the only hope for a Cup award this year is if rapid test kits can be developed (they are in the works now), where players could be tested prior to each game - AND not have any or many players test positive once we get to that point.

Having both occur seems unlikely at this point - and there's way more complexity than my oversimplification scenarios.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,959
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Steve wrote:I think the only hope for a Cup award this year is if rapid test kits can be developed (they are in the works now), where players could be tested prior to each game - AND not have any or many players test positive once we get to that point.

Having both occur seems unlikely at this point - and there's way more complexity than my oversimplification scenarios.

You're looking at a massive amount then. All staff and whoever enables the NHL to exist at an operational level would need to be constantly tested.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,590
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Steve wrote:I think the only hope for a Cup award this year is if rapid test kits can be developed (they are in the works now), where players could be tested prior to each game - AND not have any or many players test positive once we get to that point.

Having both occur seems unlikely at this point - and there's way more complexity than my oversimplification scenarios.


What you're talking about would apply to playing playoff games in empty arenas. Once you want to have fans at the game that's a totally different situation. All of the health experts are talking about "flattening the curve" to avoid overtaxing the health care system. Flattening the curve by definition elongates the infection situation, just keeps it at a lower level. State officials aren't going allow for public gatherings until they have at least 2 to 3 weeks of dropping infection numbers. When that happens is anyone's guess but I don't see it happening before May.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,743
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Steve on Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Steve wrote:I think the only hope for a Cup award this year is if rapid test kits can be developed (they are in the works now), where players could be tested prior to each game - AND not have any or many players test positive once we get to that point.

Having both occur seems unlikely at this point - and there's way more complexity than my oversimplification scenarios.

You're looking at a massive amount then. All staff and whoever enables the NHL to exist at an operational level would need to be constantly tested.


not only that, other more urgent cases/higher priority (medical staff etc) would need to obtain tests prior to professional athletes - just part of what i was getting at with the complexity comment.

And yes, this would be games played in empty arenas.

I'm an eternal optimist, often to a fault - and I just don't see the cup being awarded this year. I would be thrilled to be wrong.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,959
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 am

There's realistically a better chance that there's a delayed NHL season NEXT season than finishing the current campaign.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby Antonio on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:13 am

Yeah i would say 0 chance of season finishing at this point.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,809
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby johnnews on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:31 pm

They could play the playoffs, have an offseason, then go with my previous idea for the regular season. Change the season to January - August.

Start the season Jan 1 with the outdoor game, play the regular season with no all-star break, no bye week. End of regular season 7/1. Stanley cup finals mid to late August when they'd have the spotlight. Season ends. football starts. Hire me, now.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Downingtown, PA

Re: Does the shutdown help the Pens?

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:41 pm

I think at this point just call off the rest of the season, to include playoffs and :( the SCF, rest up over the offseason and get going in Oct. Nothing short of a miracle can salvage the season. Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer" but that's how I feel.

FWIW and humor only, consider the season if they have to practice social distancing on the ice. :o
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,930
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brwi, GSdrums87 and 36 guests


e-mail