COVID-19 and the Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: COVID-19 and the Penguins

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:59 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Between the crazy number of deaths from gun violence and covid, Trump being Trump, and now the riots....I’m sure glad I live where I live.

It’s embarrassing, sad, and scary to see this.

Is there anymore room north of the border? If this idiot gets re-elected then I think there will be a caravan heading north.

It's a sad sad state of affairs for the country when the Dems answer to Trump is a soon to be octogenarian who if placed in an IKEA would take days to find the exit.

People protest and riot for change yet insist on going back to the same dry well. Makes no sense to me, it's just sad.

It would be better to have a younger person in that position, but since we don't have that option I would take Biden over Mr. Bankruptcy in an IQ Contest. However the choice is like comparing the upside of Sheary versus Bjugstad.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:11 am

pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Between the crazy number of deaths from gun violence and covid, Trump being Trump, and now the riots....I’m sure glad I live where I live.

Is there anymore room north of the border? If this idiot gets re-elected then I think there will be a caravan heading north.

It's a sad sad state of affairs for the country when the Dems answer to Trump is a soon to be octogenarian who if placed in an IKEA would take days to find the exit.

People protest and riot for change yet insist on going back to the same dry well. Makes no sense to me, it's just sad.

It would be better to have a younger person in that position, but since we don't have that option I would take Biden over Mr. Bankruptcy in an IQ Contest. However the choice is like comparing the upside of Sheary versus Bjugstad.

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. I'm a registered Libertarian, I cant with a clean conscience vote for the Incumbent or the Democratic nominee. Both candidates are awful and your lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

The only thing that makes sense to me is educated common sense Americans putting their foot down and saying the current political system is broken. The Dems and Repubs are both awful we need a 3rd centeralist option. That IMO is the change we need, it's a race to see who can get the furthest left and right, and only a tiny portion of the population supports that.

I'm not telling anyone who to vote for I'm just saying to continue to vote for the same two parties who are driving this country off a cliff is madness.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:21 am

I would love a third party. I'd call it "you other two are sh** bat crazy"
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:49 pm

I really wish I could disagree with you but it's quite embarrassing.

And "Trump being Trump", if only it was as bad as just that. He's ramped it up to levels that I didn't think were possible, even for him.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:59 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. I'm a registered Libertarian, I cant with a clean conscience vote for the Incumbent or the Democratic nominee. Both candidates are awful and your lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

The only thing that makes sense to me is educated common sense Americans putting their foot down and saying the current political system is broken. The Dems and Repubs are both awful we need a 3rd centeralist option. That IMO is the change we need, it's a race to see who can get the furthest left and right, and only a tiny portion of the population supports that.

I'm not telling anyone who to vote for I'm just saying to continue to vote for the same two parties who are driving this country off a cliff is madness.

I don't really discuss my political views online, ever, but, I'd say this is a pretty good statement, hockeyguru. It has been my view for quite some time that the system is broken, and this goes beyond the current president. My big sticking point has been Senators need term limits.

Republicans are now on the extreme right, Democrats are on the extreme left, and I find myself sitting square in the exact middle, with some tendencies to both sides, but an obvious lean in one direction...and nobody in office cares about advancing my views or interests.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:15 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I'm not telling anyone who to vote for I'm just saying to continue to vote for the same two parties who are driving this country off a cliff is madness.

I don't really discuss my political views online, ever, but, I'd say this is a pretty good statement, hockeyguru. It has been my view for quite some time that the system is broken, and this goes beyond the current president. My big sticking point has been Senators need term limits.

Republicans are now on the extreme right, Democrats are on the extreme left, and I find myself sitting square in the exact middle, with some tendencies to both sides, but an obvious lean in one direction...and nobody in office cares about advancing my views or interests.

If most democrats were on the extreme left, you would have Warren or Sanders as the nominee. The fact you have Biden disproves that theory.

I agree term limits for both Senators and Representatives are needed, but beyond that the lobbyists own both parties. Until you get that influence under control it doesn't matter how many parties you have or don't have.

Things really broke down when Newt Gingrich basically made the Republicans the party of no, and only was amplified when the tea party took over the right. You know those fiscal conservatives who are overseeing a record debt by giving tax breaks to multi-billion dollar corporations that made billions of dollars in profit before the tax rates were lowered.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:28 pm

If the system is broken, what would a 3rd party president be able to do? there will still be Dems and Reps in both of the Congress.Trump is a 3rd party candidate, yet you do not like what? We are in less combat around the global, your taxes have been cut, jobs were plentiful, almost zero in real numbers. Stock market roaring, China on the defensive, no nukes from North Korea, Middle East calmer than in any time in this century. He has done this all fight the Russian hoax,(failed) the Ukrainian phone call and impeachment(failed) this stupid China virus(fail) and now this uprising. Pull your tampons out and change you little girls. He is battling for you *******.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:28 pm

I think I'll just sit here and listen to my Killer Carlson self-help recordings..."I'm at one with the universe; nothing matters..."
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:22 pm

in Feb 2017, on Trumps orders killed an injuried over 500 Russian forces trying to overrun an a American outpost. But you are too worried about who plays with Sid. Do some research on your own , instead of who plays with Sid. Pu$$ies
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:08 pm

steelershark wrote:in Feb 2017, on Trumps orders killed an injuried over 500 Russian forces trying to overrun an a American outpost. But you are too worried about who plays with Sid. Do some research on your own , instead of who plays with Sid. Pu$$ies

steelershark, would you say you're more of a Cyrenic or a Epicurist? Your prose has a little bit of Hegesius in it, but also hearkens back to Hermarchus, which I'm guessing you probably more closely identify with on a personal level. Am I close?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:17 pm

theblackarts wrote:
steelershark wrote:in Feb 2017, on Trumps orders killed an injuried over 500 Russian forces trying to overrun an a American outpost. But you are too worried about who plays with Sid. Do some research on your own , instead of who plays with Sid. Pu$$ies

steelershark, would you say you're more of a Cyrenic or a Epicurist? Your prose has a little bit of Hegesius in it, but also hearkens back to Hermarchus, which I'm guessing you probably more closely identify with on a personal level. Am I close?

You are an idiot. Use words that make you sound intelligent but you cannot refute what I said. Put a new tampon in.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:31 pm

steelershark wrote:
theblackarts wrote:

You are an idiot. Use words that make you sound intelligent but you cannot refute what I said. Put a new tampon in.

That's a very clever use of the word "idiot." Do you know the history of that word? Well-played. "Refute" is latin, so you're mixing up your geography, but I'll let that slide.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 pm

wow what a master of his own domain. heavy flow today, huh.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:38 pm

theblackarts wrote:
steelershark wrote:
theblackarts wrote:

That's a very clever use of the word "idiot." Do you know the history of that word? Well-played. "Refute" is latin, so you're mixing up your geography, but I'll let that slide.

The Owen Benjamin skit?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:40 pm

steelershark wrote:wow what a master of his own domain. heavy flow today, huh.

"Master" is also latin! You're on fire. Tell me, let's say, hypothetically, someone were to give you really strong arguments as to why several, if not all of your claims were misguided, or at the very least, not as strong as you think them to be... would that person be an idiot? Or would you have another way of addressing said person?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Daniel wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
steelershark wrote:
theblackarts wrote:

The Owen Benjamin skit?

Haha, correct. We finally agree!
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:43 pm

So you like to play word games, wow I'm impressed! Show me where i am wrong. Damn another tampon in the mouth.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:46 pm

theblackarts wrote:
Daniel wrote:
theblackarts wrote:That's a very clever use of the word "idiot." Do you know the history of that word? Well-played. "Refute" is latin, so you're mixing up your geography, but I'll let that slide.

The Owen Benjamin skit?

Haha, correct. We finally agree!

We're on the same Penguin forum and I think our politics are two sides of the same blade, lol. I'd rather follow a strict Constitutional interpretation and you'd rather follow a less strict and even the court cases we discussed went along those lines, just more less strict at the time of interpretation. I'll bet if we had a full Constitutional discussion we'd be pretty consistent. At least you don't seem like a collectivist so you pull me towards loosened and I pull you towards strict and we come to the middle. :wink:

btw love Owen Benjamin, especially his bike song and subsequent apology.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm

steelershark wrote:So you like to play word games, wow I'm impressed! Show me where i am wrong. Damn another tampon in the mouth.

I didn't realize I had mentioned that, but maybe you can read my mind! You are quite a formidable opponent. Before we begin, do you prefer Parlimentary rules or Lincoln-Douglas rules?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:15 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I'm not telling anyone who to vote for I'm just saying to continue to vote for the same two parties who are driving this country off a cliff is madness.

If most democrats were on the extreme left, you would have Warren or Sanders as the nominee. The fact you have Biden disproves that theory.

I agree term limits for both Senators and Representatives are needed, but beyond that the lobbyists own both parties. Until you get that influence under control it doesn't matter how many parties you have or don't have.

Things really broke down when Newt Gingrich basically made the Republicans the party of no, and only was amplified when the tea party took over the right. You know those fiscal conservatives who are overseeing a record debt by giving tax breaks to multi-billion dollar corporations that made billions of dollars in profit before the tax rates were lowered.

Most Democrats are to the extreme left, most Democrat voters are not. Look at their party platform compared to 100 years ago, it's like a wish list for anything and everything you could possibly want (I'll link it below). I think Biden being the presumed nominee shows just how out of touch the party is and how divided they are.

I don't believe in term limits since I don't think it fixes the root cause, lobbyists. Frankly, money that comes from a lobbyist should be considered a bribe and charged as such.

Campaign donations need to be stricter so the candidate can't take from it other than a salary (which the law states, but obviously it's being circumvented somehow). I haven't looked it up to see if it's already the case, but I think any money earned outside of their federal duties ought to be considered a conflict of interest, even good causes, even books.

Limit them to only what they make as Congress representative. I also think campaign funds should be limited to within the area they represent, whether state (Senator) or district (House). It might go from one extreme to another, and could likely change to something in the middle later, but we need a handle on these people. These ideas can be made into a Constitutional amendment without Congressional anything, begin and ratify through the states.

I think with term limitations, they'd just make the same amount of money in less time and do even less for the public and have no reason to worry about anything they do knowing they can't run again. However, if someone is in office for a career but is only making Congress salary, and not getting rich, then they are probably true public servants. Just to add, I wonder how a consecutive limit would fly? Two terms then can't run for two terms, etc?

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/

Sorry can't find the new Constitution ideas, but term limits and federal restrictions were two of them. I'll add later if I can find it.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Most Democrats are to the extreme left, most Democrat voters are not. Look at their party platform compared to 100 years ago, it's like a wish list for anything and everything you could possibly want (I'll link it below). I think Biden being the presumed nominee shows just how out of touch the party is and how divided they are.

I don't believe in term limits since I don't think it fixes the root cause, lobbyists. Frankly, money that comes from a lobbyist should be considered a bribe and charged as such.

Campaign donations need to be stricter so the candidate can't take from it other than a salary (which the law states, but obviously it's being circumvented somehow). I haven't looked it up to see if it's already the case, but I think any money earned outside of their federal duties ought to be considered a conflict of interest, even good causes, even books.

Limit them to only what they make as Congress representative. I also think campaign funds should be limited to within the area they represent, whether state (Senator) or district (House). It might go from one extreme to another, and could likely change to something in the middle later, but we need a handle on these people. These ideas can be made into a Constitutional amendment without Congressional anything, begin and ratify through the states.

I think with term limitations, they'd just make the same amount of money in less time and do even less for the public and have no reason to worry about anything they do knowing they can't run again. However, if someone is in office for a career but is only making Congress salary, and not getting rich, then they are probably true public servants. Just to add, I wonder how a consecutive limit would fly? Two terms then can't run for two terms, etc?

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/

Sorry can't find the new Constitution ideas, but term limits and federal restrictions were two of them. I'll add later if I can find it.

In Maryland, in 1998ish our state rep was the speaker of the house, said some stupid stuff about 2nd amendment, lost the election as speaker of the house, his district is rural, after he lost he became a lobbyist and made 6 times what he was paid as a representative. It's bull. They only make money for themselves.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm

theblackarts wrote:
steelershark wrote:So you like to play word games, wow I'm impressed! Show me where i am wrong. Damn another tampon in the mouth.

I didn't realize I had mentioned that, but maybe you can read my mind! You are quite a formidable opponent. Before we begin, do you prefer Parlimentary rules or Lincoln-Douglas rules?

If you want to acknowledge that Trump has done as best he could ,under his circumstance, I'm cool.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 pm

steelershark wrote:If the system is broken, what would a 3rd party president be able to do? there will still be Dems and Reps in both of the Congress.Trump is a 3rd party candidate, yet you do not like what? We are in less combat around the global, your taxes have been cut, jobs were plentiful, almost zero in real numbers. Stock market roaring, China on the defensive, no nukes from North Korea, Middle East calmer than in any time in this century. He has done this all fight the Russian hoax,(failed) the Ukrainian phone call and impeachment(failed) this stupid China virus(fail) and now this uprising. Pull your tampons out and change you little girls. He is battling for you *******.

The creation of a legitimate 3rd party would obviously need to extend beyond just a Presidential candidate, there would need to be candidates for Congress, and at the state level as well.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:50 pm

steelershark wrote:In Maryland, in 1998ish our state rep was the speaker of the house, said some stupid stuff about 2nd amendment, lost the election as speaker of the house, his district is rural, after he lost he became a lobbyist and made 6 times what he was paid as a representative. It's bull. They only make money for themselves.

That's the root cause right there, nothing term limits will help with. Their last term they'll have no motivation to not treat us like a banana republic and take as much as possible knowing they'll be retired soon. Or worse, go into the lobbying industry.

I think any change will have to start from the states and I wish I could find the list of amendments flowing through, some have about 50% of the states signing off on them.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:56 pm

steelershark wrote:
theblackarts wrote:

If you want to acknowledge that Trump has done as best he could ,under his circumstance, I'm cool.

That's no way to start a debate! Cicero once said something to the effect of "The man who can hold forth on every matter under debate in two contradictory ways of pleading, or can argue for and against every proposition that can be laid down – such a man is the true, the complete, and the only orator!" Now, if I am to debate you, I have spent some considerable time trying to understand the conservative point of view. I would like some assurance that you have studied, in good faith, the liberal point of view, so that our debate can be fruitful and fair, and maybe we'll both learn something by the end. What say you?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins