COVID-19 and the Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

COVID-19 and the Penguins

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:43 pm

I was wondering what everyone thinks are going to be the impacts on the Penguins as it relates to the COVID-19 outbreak? I just read that the governor of Ohio declared a public emergency, and recommended indoor sporing events take place with no fans. Notwithstanding the Governor's request, it sounds like the Blue Jackets are planning to move forward as scheduled with the game on Thursday against the Pens.

It sounds like San Jose may have home games with no crowd, but obviously the Pens have no more games out west this season. Have there been any rumblings in the State of Pennsylvania on public gatherings/sporting events?

I am honestly wondering if the league may delay the playoffs by a couple of weeks if this thing keeps spreading, as I am sure the teams/league wouldn't want to lose the revenue associated with ticket sales for playoff games.

I suppose on the positive side - a delay in the post-season could help Jake find his way back into the lineup...
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: COVID-19 and the Penguins

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:01 pm

With the Pens' luck, the entire team will come down with it and they'll have to forfeit two weeks.

The Blue Jackets basically came out and said they are listening to the NHL and not the governor.

Reporters have already been banned from the locker room and will talk with players in a press conference format. There are tables with a line of tape a certain distance away. Players stand behind the tables. Reporters stand behind the tape.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Since the US has not handled the outbreak correctly to begin with in order to control it properly, I don’t think moving the playoffs is an option. Also the players would be cold at that point, not having played meaningful games in weeks. I’m afraid the only options are to play in empty stadiums or cancel the season
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby interstorm on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:21 pm

The only good thing to come of COVID-19 is that it might halt the Flyer's push to the cup. Gotta find the positives where you can!
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Ericf wrote:Since the US has not handled the outbreak correctly to begin with in order to control it properly, I don’t think moving the playoffs is an option. Also the players would be cold at that point, not having played meaningful games in weeks. I’m afraid the only options are to play in empty stadiums or cancel the season

You're kidding, right?

There is no way they could have handled it any better. They have been on top of this from day 1. The adminstration was initially being accused of racism because they prevented non-citizens from flying here from China. They were working on prevention and treatment before this thing even had a name.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:39 pm

This isn't meant to devolve into a political thread. Let's try to keep this on hockey.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:Since the US has not handled the outbreak correctly to begin with in order to control it properly, I don’t think moving the playoffs is an option. Also the players would be cold at that point, not having played meaningful games in weeks. I’m afraid the only options are to play in empty stadiums or cancel the season

You're kidding, right?

There is no way they could have handled it any better. They have been on top of this from day 1. The adminstration was initially being accused of racism because they prevented non-citizens from flying here from China. They were working on prevention and treatment before this thing even had a name.

They needed to test extensively in the community once the first cases came out, but the CDC restricted the kind of people tested and had tests for the virus under lock and key. Big mistake. There’s now no way to contain it
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 pm

Ericf wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

You're kidding, right?

They needed to test extensively in the community once the first cases came out, but the CDC restricted the kind of people tested and had tests for the virus under lock and key. Big mistake. There’s now no way to contain it

There was never any way to control it. With the traffic flow between countries (cruise ships, airplanes), it was essentially out of control before anyone knew it.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Ericf wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Grinds teeth.
Holds breath.
Taps fingers on desk.
Walks away...
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Wow. Just heard March madness will occur minus fans.

I attended a game last week. I would go until we have a city of PGH outbreak.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:01 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Grinds teeth.
Holds breath.
Taps fingers on desk.
Walks away...

Yep!
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:04 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:This isn't meant to devolve into a political thread. Let's try to keep this on hockey.

So point out that Hillary Clinton was out of the public eye for a few months, then returned when the virus got in the news should be in a different place than here? :scared: 8-) :lol: :fist:
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:05 pm

penny lane wrote:Wow. Just heard March madness will occur minus fans.

I attended a game last week. I would go until we have a city of PGH outbreak.

Wow, that is a pretty serious step. Is that for the conference tournaments or for the full NCAA tournament... or both?
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:07 pm

I take it this the attendance at the Florida Panther games might go from 150 fans to zero?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby battleship kelly on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:09 pm

What a snowflake country we have become. You should go to these arena's with sledgehammers break the doors in and watch the games. Quarantine the elderly and wash your hands.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Humperdink wrote:I take it this the attendance at the Florida Panther games might go from 150 fans to zero?

My anecdotal evidence gathered to date here in South Florida is that people aren't taking this all that seriously... apart from hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Of course, we don't really need an excuse to avoid a Panthers' game around here, anyway.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Ericf wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Hugely disappointed Governor Wolf permitted the virus to enter our state. He just sat idly by. And what did the county commissioners in Montgomery county do? Nothing. Despicable, I say. (<<<<<< you will need to extend your sarcasm antenna to pick up the signal)
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:14 pm

battleship kelly wrote:What a snowflake country we have become. You should go to these arena's with sledgehammers break the doors in and watch the games. Quarantine the elderly and wash your hands.

I agree we’ve become quite sensitive as a country and are really an emocracy, but I think the media is driving this. As American’s, we’re still the same nation that had people hiding for weeks because they listened to the radio and thought martians were attacking. It’s not hard to create panic, though it’s just easier to fact check today.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:15 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:
Humperdink wrote:I take it this the attendance at the Florida Panther games might go from 150 fans to zero?

My anecdotal evidence gathered to date here in South Florida is that people aren't taking this all that seriously... apart from hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Of course, we don't really need an excuse to avoid a Panthers' game around here, anyway.

I should tell you I am a maintenance supply distributor, which includes toilet tissue, hand sanitizers, hand soap and disinfecting wipes. It's been an interesting week.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Humperdink wrote:
SubtropicalPenguin wrote:

I should tell you I am a maintenance supply distributor, which includes toilet tissue, hand sanitizers, hand soap and disinfecting wipes. It's been an interesting week.

I think you may want to start hoarding coffee, since I don't see demand slowing down for those items any time soon. Have fun with that.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Ericf wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

You're kidding, right?

There was never any way to control it. With the traffic flow between countries (cruise ships, airplanes), it was essentially out of control before anyone knew it.

Ok - take off the MAGA hats for a moment and look at reality. Our administration refused kits, delayed testing an has prioritized the stock market over people. What could be done? Look at South Korea and look at Italy. People WILL get this - potentially the majority of Americans. While our administration has ignored the facts and stated all risks are low there has been very little done until just the last few days (at more local levels) to slow the spread. Due to that we're going to have a lot of sick people all at once (Italy) which means the mortality rate will be higher than it otherwise should (South Korea). This virus doesn't give a **** about the GOP, the Dems, Trump, Clinton, Biden or whomever and anything other than quick action and transparency will cost lives...neither of which this administration has ever been good at.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:19 pm

There was a "drink bleach to cure yourself" rumor going around. We need many many many more people to hear that rumor. If you are stupid enough to do it the rest of the world is better off.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Jim wrote:There was a "drink bleach to cure yourself" rumor going around. We need many many many more people to hear that rumor. If you are stupid enough to do it the rest of the world is better off.

Not enough Darwin Awards to cover all the maroons that would try this.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby interstorm on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Also for those who "feel" things are just fine, here is an interesting video. I'd be more than happy to say "I was wrong" if things aren't bad 4 to 6 weeks from now however all evidence states otherwise. If local areas have their hospitals overrun - there will be lots of issues not only just for the old.

https://youtu.be/Kas0tIxDvrg
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:49 pm

interstorm wrote:Also for those who "feel" things are just fine, here is an interesting video. I'd be more than happy to say "I was wrong" if things aren't bad 4 to 6 weeks from now however all evidence states otherwise. If local areas have their hospitals overrun - there will be lots of issues not only just for the old.

https://youtu.be/Kas0tIxDvrg

Maybe I missed it, but who said things are just "fine"?

Edit to add: When a local doctor's office calls your company to say his medical supplier is out of disinfectant wipes and needs some from you, things are not fine.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins