Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 am

flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,360
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby Ericf on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.


Agree...both Sheary and Zucker had the forecheck going...the line was entirely mediocre analytics wise because Sid was bad...I don’t think he’s taking an early vacation. I think he’s reinjured or slow to return from the core injury. Most players aren’t fully back from that injury until the following season, which is one reason I don’t see the Pens doing much this year. Sid is not back and Jake is gone
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 am

Ericf wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.


Agree...both Sheary and Zucker had the forecheck going...the line was entirely mediocre analytics wise because Sid was bad...I don’t think he’s taking an early vacation. I think he’s reinjured or slow to return from the core injury. Most players aren’t fully back from that injury until the following season, which is one reason I don’t see the Pens doing much this year. Sid is not back and Jake is gone


Hard to say he’s slow to return when he came out scoring the way he did. Re-injured, maybe. Slow to return, no.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,101
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby Ericf on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Ericf wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.


Agree...both Sheary and Zucker had the forecheck going...the line was entirely mediocre analytics wise because Sid was bad...I don’t think he’s taking an early vacation. I think he’s reinjured or slow to return from the core injury. Most players aren’t fully back from that injury until the following season, which is one reason I don’t see the Pens doing much this year. Sid is not back and Jake is gone


Hard to say he’s slow to return when he came out scoring the way he did. Re-injured, maybe. Slow to return, no.

Sometimes you can have a few good games out the door because of adrenaline and excitement to be back playing. Then it wears off. Giroux did the same after his core muscle surgery but really wasn’t the same until he put up 100 points the following year. This is quite common.
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 am

A few good games? He had 23 points in his first 12 games.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,101
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby theblackarts on Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.


He was MUCH more noticeable than Sid, for much of the game. Agreed.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:49 pm

theblackarts wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.


He was MUCH more noticeable than Sid, for much of the game. Agreed.

He has been good on the forecheck but how long of a leash is he given until he is held accountable for scoring like Simon has been in the past?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,582
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby theblackarts on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:01 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.


He was MUCH more noticeable than Sid, for much of the game. Agreed.

He has been good on the forecheck but how long of a leash is he given until he is held accountable for scoring like Simon has been in the past?


That's not the argument that anyone is making, though he almost scored on the wrap around. Considering that Simon will likely go back on the first line when he's healthy, and Sheary was brought in to be a guy up and down the line-up specifically to provide forecheck and a goal here and there, I don't think he's expected to score much. So to answer your question, he probably won't and shouldn't be.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:23 pm

theblackarts wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
flame wrote:Rodrigues has looked pretty solid to me. Can definitely be on the bottom two lines come playoff time.

Conor Sheary though has been a complete ghost so far. If and when Simon is healthy you've gotta wonder where you even put Sheary if he can't get going with Sid.


Amazing. I watched the same game as you. Thought Sheary was one of the better players on the ice. He is literally doing all of the work on that line while Sid takes an early Summer vacation.


He was MUCH more noticeable than Sid, for much of the game. Agreed.

He has been good on the forecheck but how long of a leash is he given until he is held accountable for scoring like Simon has been in the past?


That's not the argument that anyone is making, though he almost scored on the wrap around. Considering that Simon will likely go back on the first line when he's healthy, and Sheary was brought in to be a guy up and down the line-up specifically to provide forecheck and a goal here and there, I don't think he's expected to score much. So to answer your question, he probably won't and shouldn't be.

So glad we gave up Kahun then for guys that will score a goal here and there then!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,582
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby jpvs2k6 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 pm

sjnhiils wrote:So glad we gave up Kahun then for guys that will score a goal here and there then!


Yes, his 10 goals as a Penguin made all the difference.
jpvs2k6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:04 am

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby theblackarts on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:52 pm

[/quote] So glad we gave up Kahun then for guys that will score a goal here and there then![/quote]

You're right, we should totally go into the playoffs with AHL guys on our 4th line. Depth is dumb!
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:20 pm

theblackarts wrote:
So glad we gave up Kahun then for guys that will score a goal here and there then![/quote]

You're right, we should totally go into the playoffs with AHL guys on our 4th line. Depth is dumb![/quote]
What AHL guys on the 4th line? Zar-Blueger-Tanev will be the 4th line. You said Simon was going back with Crosby once he gets back so what line does Sheary fit in? Lafferty with his speed and grit is capable enough of being a 13th forward as he is not just an "AHL" player. All I've heard on this board this year was that we had too many bottom six forwards and AHL players and that we needed more difference makers. Now everybody tries to justify the Kahun trade by saying it gives us more depth. Trading the better player in a deal for two depth players when your secondary scoring is already an issue is dumb!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,582
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby jpvs2k6 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Kahun is the new Ian Cole.
jpvs2k6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:04 am

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Devils 3/10/20

Postby theblackarts on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
So glad we gave up Kahun then for guys that will score a goal here and there then!


You're right, we should totally go into the playoffs with AHL guys on our 4th line. Depth is dumb![/quote]
What AHL guys on the 4th line? Zar-Blueger-Tanev will be the 4th line. You said Simon was going back with Crosby once he gets back so what line does Sheary fit in? Lafferty with his speed and grit is capable enough of being a 13th forward as he is not just an "AHL" player. All I've heard on this board this year was that we had too many bottom six forwards and AHL players and that we needed more difference makers. Now everybody tries to justify the Kahun trade by saying it gives us more depth. Trading the better player in a deal for two depth players when your secondary scoring is already an issue is dumb![/quote]

Angello, Agozzino, Blandisi, Johnson, Lafferty etc made up the fourth line on more than one occasion, and I don't know about you, but I'm assuming our roster will continue to be riddled with injuries from now until playoff time. ZAR, Simon, and Bjug are hurt, and when they come back, someone else will go down. That's just how it works this year. I'm 5,000% ok with trading the slightly better player for two players that fill out our roster with experienced NHL'rs and ensure we'll be using our AHL guys sparingly. Additionally, everyone knows that you need four competent lines in the playoffs, and we haven't had that all year, so, I'm not sure why you would assume that the status quo could magically get the job done in the playoffs, especially with the sid/geno window closing. I don't like losing Kahun either, but it's the smart thing to do when you're trying to make a run and your team needs depth. Our system taxes our forwards with heavy back-checking, so rolling four lines is paramount to having Kahun vs Sheary.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


e-mail