Pens land prized undrafted free agent.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Pens land prized undrafted free agent.

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm

According to Frank Seravalli, the Pens have signed Drew O’Connor.

https://www.tsn.ca/friday-five-nhl-team ... -1.1453626
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Pens land prized undrafted free agent.

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:29 pm

murphydump55 wrote:According to Frank Seravalli, the Pens have signed Drew O’Connor.

Can he play tomorrow?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:35 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:According to Frank Seravalli, the Pens have signed Drew O’Connor.

Can he play tomorrow?

Technically, if the Penguins signed him, he could play the rest of the season in the NHL, but he would be ineligible for the playoffs. More than likely, he comes in and plays in WBS and in AHL playoffs, then challenges for a roster spot next season.

One thing Seravalli was saying in that article, was that a lot of teams were offering an immediate chance to play this year and burn a year of the ELC already.

Just thinking ahead to next year:

Guentzel
Zucker
O'Connor/Poulin down the LW. :scared:

Also, did this kids parents hang him upside down for a few years? I remember reading this article originally. This was a kid who was 5'8" at 18 and is now 6'3" at 21.....he grew SEVEN INCHES in 3 years.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:43 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Can he play tomorrow?

Technically, if the Penguins signed him, he could play the rest of the season in the NHL, but he would be ineligible for the playoffs. More than likely, he comes in and plays in WBS and in AHL playoffs, then challenges for a roster spot next season.

One thing Seravalli was saying in that article, was that a lot of teams were offering an immediate chance to play this year and burn a year of the ELC already.

Guentzel
Zucker

Also, did this kids parents hang him upside down for a few years? I remember reading this article originally. This was a kid who was 5'8" at 18 and is now 6'3" at 21.....he grew SEVEN INCHES in 3 years.

I was kidding when I said that, I'll be surprised if he plays this season
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Can he play tomorrow?

Guentzel
Zucker

I was kidding when I said that, I'll be surprised if he plays this season

I figured you were. Was just saying. Saw Jesse say he's nowhere near ready for NHL anyways, so, I would expect WBS this year, and at least a full WBS year next year.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:11 pm

Thankfully college signings can go right to the AHL and are playoff eligible and WBS needs the help even if it’s for depth. He should get a few games to see what he has before the end of the month.

If you are going to trade draft picks away then an organization needs to make moves like this.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:54 am

DelPen wrote:Thankfully college signings can go right to the AHL and are playoff eligible and WBS needs the help even if it’s for depth. He should get a few games to see what he has before the end of the month.

If you are going to trade draft picks away then an organization needs to make moves like this.

HCJR always seems to be fishing for these types of signings. If you trade a first round pick and you can replace him with a guy like O Conner its like we didn't lose much. This kid will get all the attention that our first rounder would of gotten.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 am

O'Connor is considered a versatile prospect, having played both wing and center this past season. His ability to make the jump between positions should be valuable at the next level.

"Center is totally different geography on the ice, but he jumped in with no problem," Dartmouth head coach Bob Gaudet said, per Tris Wykes of Valley News. "He's got an incredibly long reach, and he surprises people by poke-checking the puck or stealing a pass."

courtesy Bleacher report
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:12 pm

no name wrote:
DelPen wrote:Thankfully college signings can go right to the AHL and are playoff eligible and WBS needs the help even if it’s for depth. He should get a few games to see what he has before the end of the month.

HCJR always seems to be fishing for these types of signings. If you trade a first round pick and you can replace him with a guy like O Conner its like we didn't lose much. This kid will get all the attention that our first rounder would of gotten.

Normally the success rate with undrafted college players isn't very high. O'Conner might be an exception because it would seem the most likely reason why he wasn't drafted was because he was too small at 18 to be considered a prospect. Given that he has grown into the position, it will be interesting after a year in WBS to see whether he can contribute at the NHL level.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Nothing official from the Pens or League yet...?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:00 pm

While there's usually a lot of room for improvement when it comes to the skating of players with size, O'Connor's linemate from his freshman year praised his skating.

O’Connor’s linemate last season, senior Carl Hesler, praised other aspects of O’Connor’s game.

“He can move extremely well for his size and is very skilled,” Hesler told TheDartmouth.com. “He has excellent hands and a great shot. I love playing with him because he has confidence in his game and makes plays."

-courtesy Taylor Haase dksports
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:29 pm

Jim wrote:Nothing official from the Pens or League yet...?

FWIW from Taylor at DK's site: "It’s done. Signings aren’t always announced when they happen. When they signed Drozg last year it wasn’t announced for like three weeks."
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BONVIE on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:18 pm

From Pennsburgh

This time of year can be an exciting one for NHL free agents coming out of the college ranks and looking to turn pro. These types of players are usually late bloomers who weren’t drafted but have developed into pro prospects during their college years.
The Pittsburgh Penguins have used this route in the past to add players like Zach Aston-Reese and Conor Sheary, among others. Signing these types of players are great for teams that often trade draft picks, and the Pens are a popular destination for the FA’s to pick, because Pittsburgh has done well at giving opportunities to youngsters. It looks like they have another target for this year.

O’Connor was ranked the fourth best available prospect by TSN, with Servavalli’s scouting report:
4. LW Drew O’Connor - Sophomore, Dartmouth
6-foot-3, 200 pounds
Stats: 29 GP, 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points

The ECAC’s Co-Player of the Year has sprouted into a can’t-miss find. O’Connor was just 5-foot-8 at age 18, a big reason he wasn’t on NHL radars in his draft year, but has grown to 6-foot-3 while playing for the appropriately named for the Big Green. NHL teams have flocked to watch O’Connor, who they see as a legitimate NHL power forward prospect with a nose for the net. His 38 goals (in 68 games) are the third most in the country over the last two seasons – with a 16 per cent shooting percentage this season – but his overall game has grown as much as his body. There is definitely no shortage of NHL interest in O’Connor, but there is no guarantee the sophomore will decide to leave school early.
The Athletic’s Corey Pronman had O’Connor as the 16th best current free agent (his listings also considered European players):
Just two seasons ago, O’Connor was playing in the NCDC for the Boston Jr. Bruins, and now he looks on track to get an NHL contract. O’Connor is a 6-foot-3 forward with good hands and a quality skating stride. He competes well and projects to have some two-way value as a pro. I wouldn’t call him a true playmaker, but he’s got some offense in his game because of his hands and scoring ability. He makes the odd crafty play, but he’s more of a goal scorer and has been one of the top shot generators in the NCAA. While he skates well, I wish he would play a little faster at times.
It will be interesting to see how things go for O’Connor. Often at this time of year, NHL teams (mostly non-playoff teams) will allow players to jump into the NHL to burn games and start the clock of their entry level contract. Pittsburgh probably wouldn’t go that route, but after the success of John Marino, who know at this point.
O’Connor could also be the next Thomas Di Pauli and not make much of an NHL impact at all. Never know, but for a team without many high-end players, it’s always worth it to see The Pens don’t have any 6’3, 200+ pound power forward prospects in the system, so assuming they do sign O’Connor he presents a pretty good prospect add to the organization right now.
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:20 pm

I'm not really familiar with any of these players or this process. If these players were to enter a draft pool, on average, where do you think they get selected? Are we talking about 1st or 2nd round talents?
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:44 pm

itissteeltime wrote:I'm not really familiar with any of these players or this process. If these players were to enter a draft pool, on average, where do you think they get selected? Are we talking about 1st or 2nd round talents?

It's impossible to really say, because all of them were draft eligible and not selected.

In O'Connor's case, at age 18 when he was draft eligible, he was small....only 5'8". That was a main reason why he wasn't drafted. He's now 21 and grown 7 inches to 6'3".

I'd say likely a 3rd rounder to be safe, but it is really hard to judge these guys in terms of draft picks.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:05 pm

no name wrote:

A few years ago, I compared Sheary's stats to 1st rounders in his draft class and he was among the top performers from that draft. If the Penguins can get a 1st round caliber player as a UDFA that certainly lessens the sting of losing the pick.

ZAR has carved a nice NHL niche, not sure what kind of draft pick but I think he can legitimately replace a lost mid round draft pick in terms of player asset.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby E-Ramone on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:18 pm

Didn't Guentzel take a similar path to the NHL? I think he played all four years at Nebraska-Omaha, but I don't recall if he was drafted before he graduated. In any case, the Pens have a decent record of finding these guys now especially now with Marino playing so well.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 pm

E-Ramone wrote:Didn't Guentzel take a similar path to the NHL? I think he played all four years at Nebraska-Omaha, but I don't recall if he was drafted before he graduated. In any case, the Pens have a decent record of finding these guys now especially now with Marino playing so well.

He was drafted in I think the 3rd round in 2013
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Pens Facebook finally announced it like an hour ago
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hatrick on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 am

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Can he play tomorrow?

Guentzel
Zucker

if you find out what they did let me know, Im 5'8 and would like to also become 6'3
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Pens sign Cameron Lee from Western Michigan to a 2 year ELC.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:Pens sign Cameron Lee from Western Michigan to a 2 year ELC.

"Cam is a good-skating, offensive-minded defenseman that fits the current style of play in today's NHL," Rutherford said in a team release. "This signing adds more young depth at defense for us. We're excited to have Cam as a member of the Penguins organization."
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Was hoping Lee was a righty but doesn’t really matter much because we have all of one good young defenseman prospect in WBS now anyways in Jospeh and maybe Almari, but hopefully Reilly and Jones will be signed soon along with Pavlychev at center, we need more depth everywhere and these signings are always good to see.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins