Let’s not beat around the bush

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Let’s not beat around the bush

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:12 pm

He will figure it out,” Rutherford said. “I know we’re not playing well right now, but he will get them going and have it all figured out. No team is better prepared to win than this one, and it’s because of him.

“I am not worried about missing the playoffs,” Rutherford said. “This is a good team, and we’ll be just fine. We’re just fine.”

~
Josh Yohe is the Senior Penguins Writer for The Athletic Pittsburgh. Josh joined The Athletic after covering the Penguins for the past decade, first for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and then for DKPittsburghSports.com. Follow Josh on Twitter @JoshYohe_PGH.

Get the stench blown off of them in New Jersey. Ha.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Weegie on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:06 pm

When Crosby was out and they were on t.v. and winning without him I remember saying to my wife "EVERY player is really flying around, the new guys probably love that they are on the team and are getting a chance to shine", guys like McCann and Tanev and others. Then Sid came back, they were still winning but it seemed like there was a short adjustment period, then they really went nuts and were beating just about everyone, then the roof collapsed and we have this now.

If it is basically the same players except for Marleau and Rodrigues-I feel Sheary is familiar with the team-and they are struggling like this then it must be something internally wrong like you guys are saying, but what is it? Egos? Coaching? Personality clashes? Guys burned out? I just can't understand how the same guys that were playing lights out a month ago now look lost, look cold, very strange indeed....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:27 pm

Last night Kaboly said they were an arrogant team. Maybe Tortorella was right after all. That might also explain why teams get up more for them than others.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Sullivan from 1/2 season "best coach thus far" to being unemployed in May.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 pm

Maestro wrote:Sullivan from 1/2 season "best coach thus far" to being unemployed in May.

I have reached the conclusion that most coaches, though not all, have a "use by date". I think they go stale with the players. Some are terrific coaches, but the players still tune them out. Star players stay, coaches depart. Even marginal players know they will land somewhere. Sign of the times.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Sully has a better chance of winning the Jack Adams than being fired this year.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:26 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:Sully has a better chance of winning the Jack Adams than being fired this year.

Yeah. Totally agree. Not a fan of scapegoating the coach every time team goes through a slump.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:36 am

pronovost19 wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:Sully has a better chance of winning the Jack Adams than being fired this year.

Yeah. Totally agree. Not a fan of scapegoating the coach every time team goes through a slump.

Explain why the average tenure for an NHL coach is 2.4 years then.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:38 am

So... praise when doing well is acceptable, but exempt from fault when doing poorly... got'cha.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:39 am

With the way this season has gone where the team was playing awesome and as a team when they were injured...listening to their coach, now healthy they are playing like fat cats, not listening to their coach...

Sully is far from flawless, but seeing how this season has played out with the violent mood swings this team has...It's on the players and core leadership IMO this season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 100565 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:45 am

Ultimately, the responsibility falls on Sully. He has to figure out how to get the team to play motivated whenever Sid and Geno are both healthy.

Sully does not deserve to be fired this season; no chance.

If I am Sully, I play Sid and Geno on the same line and see if it helps...it cannot be much worse!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:07 pm

100565 wrote:If I am Sully, I play Sid and Geno on the same line and see if it helps...it cannot be much worse!

It's called the power play and yes it is.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Sullivan is the type of coach who needs a Tochett type assistant. Sully isn't a personable guy he just knows how to pound the ideas at the guys. Where Tochett was a great buffer when those points needed to get across.

Martin, Recchi and Gonchar just don't seem like the right type for the players to relate to.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:31 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:

Explain why the average tenure for an NHL coach is 2.4 years then.

Primarily, the NHL has the lowest tenure rate. Expansion has a lot to do with this. Similarly, the MLB pitching is bad for the same reason. So, to be honest, the watered down product means a watered down coaching crew. Also, as tenure goes down more coaches with little to no real experience are hired. This doubles the watered down effect.

Add to that the watered down three point games which creates parity and a much larger gap between the haves and have nots. Don’t get me wrong, MS is not untouchable, but in my opinion this stretch has more to do with execution than the system itself.

Add to all those factors the expectations that come from fans that pay a butt ton for tickets and it becomes easy for the have nots to situationally blame and scapegoat the coach instead of the actual product that they (gms mostly) have placed on the ice.

I can be critical of the product. However, I hold my tongue when evaluating coaches because it is too easy to make that the easiest fix instead of looking at the team, and I have no coaching experience myself. As a fan I saw a team playing a system earlier in the year. Now not so much. As a fan I am tired of watching my favorite team trade away number one picks year after year.

There are more issues for me than the coach.

By the way, we also basically traded Olli Maatta for Sheary (who at one point were both on our team). How we did that in such a roundabout way shows how there are other issues than just the coach. So yeah. HCMS has a target on his back, but he should not be the only one if we are being thorough. Players and gm have to be accountable too.

Feel free to flame away. I expect it.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins