Penguins “Duo” philosophy and the Kahun Trade

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Penguins “Duo” philosophy and the Kahun Trade

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:45 am

GMJR and HCMS seemed to like building their lines around duos with the third player being casted into a supporting role.

The idea behind this is that two guys drive the line while the other is placed to support the two.

We see this with the following:

Sid/ Jake
Sid/ Zucker
Malkin/ Jake
Malkin/ Rust

Then you throw in guys like Simon, Sheary, Horny, etc.

I believe the reasoning for this is to manage the payroll and spred the depth to roll 4 Lines that can score. 3 at the least.

Bringing back Sheary and getting ARod for Kahun makes sense with this theory.

Kahun is the better more talented player, or at very least has upside to be better top 6 winger then Sheary. While Sheary is not, he’s a better top 6 complementary player with this theory and one they had a track record with.

Zucker Sid and Kahun don’t make for a better line the Zucker, Sid and Sheary, IMO. His role is to help generate zone time, transition and support Sid and Zucker. They are the finishers of the line.

Having said that, what do the lines like next year and who are the duos? McCann and who? Sid and Jake or Zucker? Malkin with Jake?

Could we see Jake and Sid, Malkin and Rusty and move Zucker with McCann moving to C?
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Penguins “Duo” philosophy and the Kahun Trade

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:04 am

The "pairs" has been an NHL trend for awhile. It possibly does have something to do with the cap, and likely has something to do with spreading the wealth more evenly from line to line. Although the set lines is something that went out a number of years ago. There are exceptions, like the Bergeron line in Boston. But line juggling isn't something that is unique to Sullivan. It's more the norm. A lot of times, it's about match ups. The Pens changed their lines after Game 3 in the Ottawa series in 2017 in order to put a more physical player on each line. It was to combat the defensive system the Sens were running. But Kevin Stevens didn't play exclusively with Lemieux. He also played a lot with Francis.

I said at the time of the trade that the main impetus was getting 2 players in return for 1. None of the players are true top six wingers. Kahun has shown he can play a complementary to top six role, as has Sheary. I agree that Kahun is the better all around player, but Sheary's chemistry with Crosby allowed them to move Simon down the lineup. Which is where he belongs. He just doesn't produce enough to stay in the top six long term, but is a pretty decent bottom 6 option. Certainly, Kahun could have fit there. Or even in the top 6 as a complement to Malkin. But there may have been other deals the Sabres were looking at for Sheary, so you really can't say you could have gotten him for perhaps a 4th. You have to give to get, and, as I've said since the deal was announced, I believe they had concerns about how Kahun would fit within the cap moving forward.

Rodrigues has been an upgrade to their depth. He isn't a scorer, but he's played all 3 forward positions already, and has become a big part of the PK. Something Lafferty didn't do. He also has a mind boggling 67.1% CF in the five games he's played. It's not just about the points. The added depth has been important as players continue to go down. I like Kahun, but never saw him as a long term top 6 fixture. He was the best player in the deal, but Sheary seems to be a better fit with Sid. And Rodrigues makes up for the disparity between the other two. The reality is it was a minor deal involving complementary players and made the team deeper. But it's not earth shattering by any means.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:03 am

You've got your stars, guys in between and support players in any team. That also goes for every line.

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary.
McCann-Crosby-Guentzel

Just picking two lines here that have played for stretches. Obviously, Crosby is the main focus of the line. He's the star of the team, never mind the line. Guentzel was the number two guy, now that's Zucker. McCann was the supportive element, now that's Sheary. Comparing the two, you're giving up a bunch of firepower, but should be gaining some grind and hard work. McCann/Guentzel are relatively better at reinforcing Crosby's strengths to make a top-heavy scoring threat, I think Zucker/Sheary are better at compensating for his weaknesses to make it a more balanced line.

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hörnqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Rodrigues

The Pens have their lines divide neatly into star-secondary-support.. except for Bjugstad/Hörnqvist. To my mind, they're both support players.

Pairs then become Crosby-Zucker, Malkin-Rust, Tanev-Blueger. Each of these with a suport guy to be thrown in. Simon, ZAR, Angello, Lafferty, AJ, Di Pauli, are all support players. Getting out of the support role is rare. Sheary did it for a while, Rust has done so for this season and Guentzel managed to make the promotion stick.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ericf on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:56 am

I feel like people are trying hard to justify a stupid trade. So what if they had to trade Kahun after the season because of the cap. They would have gotten more for him then. Sheary hasn’t shown much production yet on the top line, and I don’t think he will. He’s fine there when there’s time and space. But outside the first Cup run, he has done little in the playoffs except fall down and be moved down the lineup. He will be moved down the lineup this playoffs because he will get manhandled against heavy teams with forechecks and tight checking. If you want more depth, you don’t trade a productive winger who worked well with McCann for Buffalo’s garbage. Everyone in Buffalo wanted Sheary and ER gone. They are mediocre players regardless of who they play with. JR could’ve gotten a depth player like Grant, Lewis etc without giving up a productive player who can play in the top six if needed. Stupid trade
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:55 am

Ericf wrote:I feel like people are trying hard to justify a stupid trade. So what if they had to trade Kahun after the season because of the cap. They would have gotten more for him then. Sheary hasn’t shown much production yet on the top line, and I don’t think he will. He’s fine there when there’s time and space. But outside the first Cup run, he has done little in the playoffs except fall down and be moved down the lineup. He will be moved down the lineup this playoffs because he will get manhandled against heavy teams with forechecks and tight checking. If you want more depth, you don’t trade a productive winger who worked well with McCann for Buffalo’s garbage. Everyone in Buffalo wanted Sheary and ER gone. They are mediocre players regardless of who they play with. JR could’ve gotten a depth player like Grant, Lewis etc without giving up a productive player who can play in the top six if needed. Stupid trade

Only time will answer the question, but I think people are way overreacting about moving a guy with who has scored 25 goals in 136 career games. He may bust out, but that's not exactly top 6 production. It's a 15 goal pace over 82 games. Since the trade, his ATOI is 11:11. He hasn't exactly found a spot in the Sabres top 6. He's a complimentary winger, who was the healthy scratch the only game the team was totally healthy this year. Any other possible trade targets are moot because we have no real idea what their asking price would be. Lewis wasn't moved, and Grant didn't offer the speed they were looking for. He also didn't show the ability to be a fit when he was here last season.

Describing Rodrigues and Sheary as garbage is melodramatic. I don't put a lot of stock into what fans from an embittered fan base have to say. They were likely asked to do more in Buffalo than their talents allowed. All three players are depth pieces. Not core pieces. If they believed they weren't going to be able to afford Kahun moving forward, he was expendable. The Blackhawks traded him and a 4th for Maata. Who many believed would be tough to move because of his contract. So it's no guarantee he'd bring more in the offseason. He is what he is until he proves otherwise. Did he look good at times? Yes. In spurts. But he had 5 goals in his last 31 games dressed for the Pens. That doesn't scream of an indispensable player, and it doesn't suggest his value would be that high in the offseason.

My point is the team was looking for depth. It's needed for a long run. Rodrigues can play all 3 forward positions, and kill penalties. His 67.1 CF% shouldn't be ignored. I like Lafferty, but he was never trusted on the PK. Which makes Rodrigues more valuable for the short term. Perhaps Kahun will become a solid NHLer, but he's only showed spurts at this point. Sheary has certainly shown spurts as well. Simon went cold on Sid's line. Sheary gave them somebody Sid was comfortable playing with, even if I believe Kahun is the more talented player. To me, the addition of Rodrigues made it a fair deal. Not larceny, but fair. It's way too much complaining about shuffling depth pieces. That 5 goals in his last 31 games in the lineup here is telling. He wasn't producing a ton after his hot streak. As I said to start with, only time will tell. Sheary may bust. Or he may end up playing like he did in 2016. There's no way you can say what he'll do, only what you believe he'll do.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:07 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Ericf wrote:I feel like people are trying hard to justify a stupid trade. So what if they had to trade Kahun after the season because of the cap. They would have gotten more for him then. Sheary hasn’t shown much production yet on the top line, and I don’t think he will. He’s fine there when there’s time and space. But outside the first Cup run, he has done little in the playoffs except fall down and be moved down the lineup. He will be moved down the lineup this playoffs because he will get manhandled against heavy teams with forechecks and tight checking. If you want more depth, you don’t trade a productive winger who worked well with McCann for Buffalo’s garbage. Everyone in Buffalo wanted Sheary and ER gone. They are mediocre players regardless of who they play with. JR could’ve gotten a depth player like Grant, Lewis etc without giving up a productive player who can play in the top six if needed. Stupid trade

Only time will answer the question, but I think people are way overreacting about moving a guy with who has scored 25 goals in 136 career games. He may bust out, but that's not exactly top 6 production. It's a 15 goal pace over 82 games. Since the trade, his ATOI is 11:11. He hasn't exactly found a spot in the Sabres top 6. He's a complimentary winger, who was the healthy scratch the only game the team was totally healthy this year. Any other possible trade targets are moot because we have no real idea what their asking price would be. Lewis wasn't moved, and Grant didn't offer the speed they were looking for. He also didn't show the ability to be a fit when he was here last season.

Describing Rodrigues and Sheary as garbage is melodramatic. I don't put a lot of stock into what fans from an embittered fan base have to say. They were likely asked to do more in Buffalo than their talents allowed. All three players are depth pieces. Not core pieces. If they believed they weren't going to be able to afford Kahun moving forward, he was expendable. The Blackhawks traded him and a 4th for Maata. Who many believed would be tough to move because of his contract. So it's no guarantee he'd bring more in the offseason. He is what he is until he proves otherwise. Did he look good at times? Yes. In spurts. But he had 5 goals in his last 31 games dressed for the Pens. That doesn't scream of an indispensable player, and it doesn't suggest his value would be that high in the offseason.

My point is the team was looking for depth. It's needed for a long run. Rodrigues can play all 3 forward positions, and kill penalties. His 67.1 CF% shouldn't be ignored. I like Lafferty, but he was never trusted on the PK. Which makes Rodrigues more valuable for the short term. Perhaps Kahun will become a solid NHLer, but he's only showed spurts at this point. Sheary has certainly shown spurts as well. Simon went cold on Sid's line. Sheary gave them somebody Sid was comfortable playing with, even if I believe Kahun is the more talented player. To me, the addition of Rodrigues made it a fair deal. Not larceny, but fair. It's way too much complaining about shuffling depth pieces. That 5 goals in his last 31 games in the lineup here is telling. He wasn't producing a ton after his hot streak. As I said to start with, only time will tell. Sheary may bust. Or he may end up playing like he did in 2016. There's no way you can say what he'll do, only what you believe he'll do.

You don’t the trade the better player and Kahun was the better player in this deal. Pens could’ve gotten an additional depth player without trading him. Of course I’m hopeful for Sheary—I have no choice but to be—but, as they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:47 pm

Ericf wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

You don’t the trade the better player and Kahun was the better player in this deal. Pens could’ve gotten an additional depth player without trading him. Of course I’m hopeful for Sheary—I have no choice but to be—but, as they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Lafferty in over Rodriques today is not making that trade look any better. Still don't understand the rationale in GMJR sometimes.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Reasons for acquiring Rodrigues/Sheary:

1) GMJR wanted better depth than Lafferty/Agozzino/Angello had provided to date. Even if Sheary/Rodrigues are scratches, they are still better "next men up" then Lafferty, Agozzino, Angello.
2) GMJR liked Sheary's familiarity with the team. He said he never wanted to move Sheary, but cap issues made it impossible to keep him. He can walk as a UFA at season's end.
3) Maybe they see something in Rodrigues they like, so they acquired a player with RFA rights.

Reasons for trading Kahun:

1) Maybe they weren't happy with his progression. Had he not missed games, he would have been on pace for about 5 more points this season over last season.
2) The Penguins had little left in terms of draft capital, and may have had to use a guy like Kahun instead of picks/prospects.
3) Kahun had arbitration rights. The team could have been afraid of a possible arbitration award. Anything awarded under 3.5M I believe in arbritration, and the team can't walk away from that decision.
4) Maybe it was just Buffalo's ask, swapping one RFA for another. Kahun is definitely better player, but, still getting another RFA in Rodrigues in return, plus Sheary.

I think too much is being made over Kahun being dealt. Not a big deal for me.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:40 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Reasons for acquiring Rodrigues/Sheary:

1) GMJR wanted better depth than Lafferty/Agozzino/Angello had provided to date. Even if Sheary/Rodrigues are scratches, they are still better "next men up" then Lafferty, Agozzino, Angello.
2) GMJR liked Sheary's familiarity with the team. He said he never wanted to move Sheary, but cap issues made it impossible to keep him. He can walk as a UFA at season's end.
3) Maybe they see something in Rodrigues they like, so they acquired a player with RFA rights.

1) Maybe they weren't happy with his progression. Had he not missed games, he would have been on pace for about 5 more points this season over last season.
2) The Penguins had little left in terms of draft capital, and may have had to use a guy like Kahun instead of picks/prospects.
3) Kahun had arbitration rights. The team could have been afraid of a possible arbitration award. Anything awarded under 3.5M I believe in arbritration, and the team can't walk away from that decision.
4) Maybe it was just Buffalo's ask, swapping one RFA for another. Kahun is definitely better player, but, still getting another RFA in Rodrigues in return, plus Sheary.

But when I brought up trading Schultz so he didn't walk for nothing you said that teams trying to win the Cup didn't trade players off the roster at the deadline? What do you do with Simon and ZAR once they come back? How much depth do you need?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:46 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

But when I brought up trading Schultz so he didn't walk for nothing you said that teams trying to win the Cup didn't trade players off the roster at the deadline? What do you do with Simon and ZAR once they come back? How much depth do you need?

At over 280 some man games lost to injury.....quite a bit.

I'm sure other teams see how Schultz is playing too. I'm not sure there was a scenario where moving Schultz made this team better. Hes not producing much right now though.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:45 am

It took all of a handful of games for Rodrigues to be a healthy scratch. Getting rid of Kahun isnt a problem it's what they got back for him. Sheary shouldn't have cost us more than a 4th round pick. Kahun could have been used in another deal that nets you a young depth player that you'll play over Lafferty.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hatrick on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:50 pm

it felt like making a move for the sake of making a move to me. The value of it isn't very good.

Rodrigues felt like a throw in piece from Buffalos side. So it was basically Sheary, a UFA end of year for Kahun, a RFA. Between those two even before taking contract status of end of year into account I would rather have Kahun. Once you take contract status into account I would really much rather have Kahun.

I don't think its a world ending deal since either way its depth pieces, but seems like bad asset management once again.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:07 pm

Since being traded Kahun has 2 G 2 A in 5 games and Sheary has 1 G and 2 A in 6 games. I didn't like the trade but, at least on paper, there's not much difference in point production for the number of games they've played.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:56 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:Since being traded Kahun has 2 G 2 A in 5 games and Sheary has 1 G and 2 A in 6 games. I didn't like the trade but, at least on paper, there's not much difference in point production for the number of games they've played.

Who is Kahun playing with? I'll bet they aren't as good as Zucker and Crosby
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:12 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:Since being traded Kahun has 2 G 2 A in 5 games and Sheary has 1 G and 2 A in 6 games. I didn't like the trade but, at least on paper, there's not much difference in point production for the number of games they've played.

I think with Johansson and Vesey
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:24 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I think with Johansson and Vesey

Johansson for sure. Vesey seems to get shifted around but yeah he plays mostly on the 2nd line.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:11 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

It took all of a handful of games for Rodrigues to be a healthy scratch. Getting rid of Kahun isnt a problem it's what they got back for him. Sheary shouldn't have cost us more than a 4th round pick. Kahun could have been used in another deal that nets you a young depth player that you'll play over Lafferty.

Yup
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins “Duo” philosophy and the Kahun Tra

Postby BlackNGold4Life on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:03 am

I can buy and get behind that we possibly didn’t get full value or better value for Kahun. If a 4th would have landed Sheary then I would have preferred that and kept Kahun. We don’t know what talks where like, etc, but it does seem reasonable. My point is aside from the debatable cost, they where not trading for best player, but a best fit with a compatible player. I view Sheary and Kahun as similar players. Kahun as better upside and overall poise and offense when he seemed “on”. But sheary plays with allot of effort, for checks better, has better speed. He’s all over the ice. On his skates, his back, etc. Haha
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby johnnews on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:15 am

Funny thing about Rodrigues, he was probably the best Pens player on the ice yesterday.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby flame on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 pm

And Kahun wins the shoot out for buffalo against the caps in round 7 of the shootout
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am

flame wrote:And Kahun wins the shoot out for buffalo against the caps in round 7 of the shootout

I wish the Pens had a guy like him on the team. :(
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Lance Lysowski
@LLysowski
·
18m
Dominik Kahun said he's having more fun playing with the Sabres because the system allows him to use his skill. Had to do "different things" in Pittsburgh that may have slowed him a bit.

On the times I saw Kahun, I saw right away he had skills. Didn't always led to a goal though.
Good for him.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ericf on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:34 pm

penny lane wrote:
Lance Lysowski
@LLysowski
·
18m
Dominik Kahun said he's having more fun playing with the Sabres because the system allows him to use his skill. Had to do "different things" in Pittsburgh that may have slowed him a bit.

On the times I saw Kahun, I saw right away he had skills. Didn't always led to a goal though.
Good for him.

Throwing some shade on the Pens...nice...they deserve it
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins