2020 and Post-ASG Penguins Goalie Tracking

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Post ASG Penguins Goalie Battle Tracking

Postby Crash66 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks for doing this for all us lazy people. Interesting stuff. Going to be really interesting come the latter half of April.
Crash66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:32 pm

Any chance you can list the opponents or do a calculation of opponents win percentage?

Seems like Murray is drawing a lot of the playoff teams and Jarry is getting softer competition.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:46 pm

I plan on updating the thread this week. Going to include post-ASG numbers as I have, but also expanded to 2020 numbers, as well as probably historical over that time, to see if player is improving or declining.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:09 pm

A penguin goalie hasn’t given up 4 goals in a game since a 6-4 win against Nashville on December 28.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:56 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Any chance you can list the opponents or do a calculation of opponents win percentage?

Seems like Murray is drawing a lot of the playoff teams and Jarry is getting softer competition.

Except for Murray getting Washington and Tampa back to back, it's been a rotation. We'll see if that continues. But I think that's the plan unless someone takes charge. Since the break, both have been lights out. I don't see them cherry picking starts. Just next man up for the most part. For instance, Murray got the net today against the Wings. I'd expect them to split the Toronto back to back.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:49 pm

longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Any chance you can list the opponents or do a calculation of opponents win percentage?

Except for Murray getting Washington and Tampa back to back, it's been a rotation. We'll see if that continues. But I think that's the plan unless someone takes charge. Since the break, both have been lights out. I don't see them cherry picking starts. Just next man up for the most part. For instance, Murray got the net today against the Wings. I'd expect them to split the Toronto back to back.

They need to give Jarry some starts against the tougher teams. He needs to get at least one start against Washington. He's never faced them before, and, it is much better for a goalie to go in having some first hand information on shooters. Wouldn't be a good thing if Murray were the playoff starter, got hurt or played poorly enough that we had to put Jarry in against a team he has never faced.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:12 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

They need to give Jarry some starts against the tougher teams. He needs to get at least one start against Washington. He's never faced them before, and, it is much better for a goalie to go in having some first hand information on shooters. Wouldn't be a good thing if Murray were the playoff starter, got hurt or played poorly enough that we had to put Jarry in against a team he has never faced.

Your point is well taken, but we've seen the opposite has often been true as well. I've seen goaltenders shut teams down who they've never faced because the shooters aren't as familiar with the goalie's weaknesses. Perhaps they will switch it up for the two weekend games and give Jarry Sunday in Washington. However, if they stick by the every other game scenario, Murray would get all four games against the Caps.

Jarry went through that streak where he gave 3 goals for several starts in a row. However, he never went into a major slump. In fact, he's only given up 4 goals twice all season, never more. Both of those games were in November. He just wasn't as good for a stretch. Since the break, he's stopped 94 of 100 total shots. And was a huge part of the wins against the Flyers and Panthers. He stopped 34 of 35 against the Canadiens, but I didn't think it was as difficult of a challenge as the other two. It's difficult to judge over small sample sizes. Be it 3 or 4 or 10 games. The eye test since the break has suggested they've both been great in the games they've been given. Certainly the Caps and Lightning have been the top teams they've faced, but Philly has been red hot, and Florida was 5th in goals per game when Jarry faced them.

The Pens have a great situation right now, but there's going to be some tough decisions. Murray has the playoff experience, and probably has an edge as far as starting the playoffs. On the other hand, they'd be more comfortable moving forward with Jarry as the #1 next season if he performs well in the playoffs. And I believe they're likely to move forward with Jarry.

I've said for quite a long time that if the two are close, they're likely to keep Jarry. He doesn't have the experience. But he also doesn't have the injury history, or the history of starting consecutive seasons slowly. Murray has lost the net to Jarry earlier this season, but also lost it to DeSmith for a short time last season. That's troubling with the parity in the league. But the biggest factor is the cap hits. The Pens will be up against the cap every season left in the window. They can do it with Murray, but have significantly more cap space with Jarry. Which allows them to bring in higher quality players elsewhere.

When the season began, I thought the Pens had to bite the bullet and pay Murray. But Jarry has 26 starts, a pretty good sample size, and has shown that he at least approaches Murray's level. For the season, he's exceeded Murray's overall work in 31 starts. To be clear, I like both guys and would love to keep them both. But that's not practical. If there's a 3 or 4 million dollar difference in their cap hits, and they're close in performance, you have to go with Jarry. That cap difference can make a huge impact on the rest of the lineup. Ultimately, only time is going to answer the question.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2020 and Post-ASG Penguins Goalie Tracking

Postby no name on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Leave a lot of questions. However since Murray is a RFA if we do trade him even without a contract he has a lot of worth. Going into the playoffs I think you gotta have both goalies. Then I guess you can leave him exposed to Seattle even if you sign him to a long term contract.

SO I guess the question is do you go one more year with 2 all star goalies or just one. Jarry would get a Murray-esque type deal, 3.75 and Murray would demand atleast a Vasalesky (sp) 9.5 million deal?

Unless you send him packing in the offseason, would Murrays agent like him to be traded with a contract or without one?? That alone is a interesting question, I wonder what an agent would prefer?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dark_forces on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:30 pm

no name wrote:Leave a lot of questions. However since Murray is a RFA if we do trade him even without a contract he has a lot of worth. Going into the playoffs I think you gotta have both goalies. Then I guess you can leave him exposed to Seattle even if you sign him to a long term contract.

SO I guess the question is do you go one more year with 2 all star goalies or just one. Jarry would get a Murray-esque type deal, 3.75 and Murray would demand atleast a Vasalesky (sp) 9.5 million deal?

Unless you send him packing in the offseason, would Murrays agent like him to be traded with a contract or without one?? That alone is a interesting question, I wonder what an agent would prefer?

I would do all I could to keep them together for one more season. See if Murray would accept a 1 year 6 million deal and give Jarry a 3 year dead similar to Murray's expiring deal.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:46 pm

dark_forces wrote:
no name wrote:Leave a lot of questions. However since Murray is a RFA if we do trade him even without a contract he has a lot of worth. Going into the playoffs I think you gotta have both goalies. Then I guess you can leave him exposed to Seattle even if you sign him to a long term contract.

I would do all I could to keep them together for one more season. See if Murray would accept a 1 year 6 million deal and give Jarry a 3 year dead similar to Murray's expiring deal.

Then after next season you have the expansion draft and risk losing one of them for nothing. Best scenario they both play lights out for the remainder of the season, and you trade one and hopefully get a good return, either a high pick, or a prospect exempt from the expansion draft.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:21 pm

pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:

Then after next season you have the expansion draft and risk losing one of them for nothing. Best scenario they both play lights out for the remainder of the season, and you trade one and hopefully get a good return, either a high pick, or a prospect exempt from the expansion draft.

Jarry 3-3.5M, Murray 3.75-4M.

Murray will go to arbitration, get more, walk away from Murray. Get someone to contend with DeSmith for a backup role and give the NHL job to the better goalie.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:

Murray will go to arbitration, get more, walk away from Murray. Get someone to contend with DeSmith for a backup role and give the NHL job to the better goalie.

I honestly don't follow your thinking. If Murray walks away, he becomes unrestricted. He'll bring a decent haul in a trade. I also think you're likely light on Jarry's contract. He may not win the cup, but his overall body of work this season is far more than Murray's 13 games of NHL regular season experience when he was given 3 X $3.75M. I was surprised to see Jarry has only given up 4 goals twice this season, both in November. I believe he's also arbitration eligible, and that $3.75M was in 2016. Salaries and the cap have increased since then.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:59 pm

Small sample size (13 games to DeSmith's 36), but Tokarski's numbers are a good bit better than DeSmith's. I wouldn't rule him out of the equation, either.

.932 Sv% 1.76 GAA

http://www.wbspenguins.com/player-stats/#1538505235802-614ce6dd-f22a
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 am

longtimefan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:

I honestly don't follow your thinking. If Murray walks away, he becomes unrestricted. He'll bring a decent haul in a trade. I also think you're likely light on Jarry's contract. He may not win the cup, but his overall body of work this season is far more than Murray's 13 games of NHL regular season experience when he was given 3 X $3.75M. I was surprised to see Jarry has only given up 4 goals twice this season, both in November. I believe he's also arbitration eligible, and that $3.75M was in 2016. Salaries and the cap have increased since then.

Binnington got 2 x4.4M this past summer and Blues avoided arbitration with him. Given how some arbitration verdicts are way off on a player's value in the player's favor, Blues probably saved some money. Jarry's value will be determined in the next few months. No matter what happens though, he'll be cheaper than what Murray will command.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:43 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:

I believe both Murray and Jarry are restricted RFA, so either way we get something for them. Murray could ask in the range of Vaselesky (sp) who got 9.5 a season. Murray last deal was 3.75 which is high at the time but he was a 2x cup winner.

Either way looks like Sullivan is playing them both equal the rest of the way, so i wonder who gets the nod come playoffs. Knowing Sully he sides with Murray which i would have to agree with.

Trying to fit 8-9m with Murray getting a new contract that would be pretty hard, with Jarry waiting in the winges at 5m cheaper i would have to trade Murray.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:03 pm

What does Sullivan do come playoff time? I can't imagine he keeps a rotation going?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:21 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:What does Sullivan do come playoff time? I can't imagine he keeps a rotation going?

Murray's numbers have rebounded. Both goalies are playing at about the same level, after Murray struggled early and Jarry played at a high rate early.

Seems pretty simple...you go with the goalie who's been there before, which is Matt Murray.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:What does Sullivan do come playoff time? I can't imagine he keeps a rotation going?

Murray's numbers have rebounded. Both goalies are playing at about the same level, after Murray struggled early and Jarry played at a high rate early.

Seems pretty simple...you go with the goalie who's been there before, which is Matt Murray.

Or go with the guy who plays the entire position better. By your logic Fleury would still be in net.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby longtimefan on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:48 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Although I agree the edge will go to Murray, I don't see it as simple. Not at all. The priority is to win this season, which is why Murray would get the edge because of experience. But I also believe that Jarry is the guy they move forward with next season. The cap difference will be vast, and the performance difference is not. For the season, Jarry would have the edge. There's something to be said for consistency, and he only has those two games in November where he gave up 4 goals. They'd obviously have more of a comfort level moving forward if Jarry had some playoff experience. I believe if they stay close in performance the rest of the way, Murray will get the call for game one. But I also believe the leash will be, and should be, very short.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 am

Breakaway observation. When Kapenen had the breakaway, I thought this is a goal. Murray just doesn’t challenge and I can’t figure out what his plan is?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 am

This will be my last post on this topic for two reasons:

1) Work hasn't afforded me the time to keep up with this thread.
2) Quite honestly, goaltending is probably 4th or 5th in the list of priorities for the team, after playing the system, goal scoring, and better team defense.

All Strength Numbers for 2020:
--Tristan Jarry, 14 games played, 40 Goals Against, 390 Saves, .907SV%, 2.84GAA, .796HDSV%
--Matt Murray, 11 games played, 29 Goals Against, 296 Saves, .911SV%, 2.62GAA, .867HDSV%
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:04 am

FLPensFan wrote:This will be my last post on this topic for two reasons:

1) Work hasn't afforded me the time to keep up with this thread.
2) Quite honestly, goaltending is probably 4th or 5th in the list of priorities for the team, after playing the system, goal scoring, and better team defense.

All Strength Numbers for 2020:
--Tristan Jarry, 14 games played, 40 Goals Against, 390 Saves, .907SV%, 2.84GAA, .796HDSV%
--Matt Murray, 11 games played, 29 Goals Against, 296 Saves, .911SV%, 2.62GAA, .867HDSV%

Too funny. Neither have been great in the new year, yet the way some people (not necessarily on here) react, it’s like Murray is killing the team lately and Jarry is carrying them. They freak out that Sullivan starts Murray over Jarry some nights.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Jesse on Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Good job with the tracking on this. I think they need to figure out who is going to take over sooner rather than later. First goalie than wins likely gets the next game and a chance to build some momentum.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Hopefully, Murray gets a second game against Buffalo and Jarry gets the Caps game. Would like to see Jarry handle the puck against the Caps forecheck so that Wilson doesn’t send Dumoulin back to the IR.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:52 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Hopefully, Murray gets a second game against Buffalo and Jarry gets the Caps game. Would like to see Jarry handle the puck against the Caps forecheck so that Wilson doesn’t send Dumoulin back to the IR.

This is a good point.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins