Penguins Infirmary Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Penguins Infirmary Thread

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Yeah sounds like Schultz could play Friday and Nick Bjugstad should be fit to return at some point in early February,
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:And.....Penguins have recalled Andrew Agozzino and Anthony Angello on an emergency recall basis.
Before the break, Agozzino, Lafferty, and Blandisi were sent down.

This tells me Kahun isn't ready for tomorrow, and Bjugstad likely isn't ready either. My expected lines for tomorrow would be:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
McCann-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Galchenyuk-Agozzino-Angello

Galchenyuk on the checking line? smh.

That's where he has been the last several games. He's lucky he's not on the unemployment line.

If you could've had a healthy Guentzel, Bjugstad and Kahun right now, he'd be traded.

His contract is a bit much for #13F
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:And.....Penguins have recalled Andrew Agozzino and Anthony Angello on an emergency recall basis.

This tells me Kahun isn't ready for tomorrow, and Bjugstad likely isn't ready either. My expected lines for tomorrow would be:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
McCann-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

That's where he has been the last several games. He's lucky he's not on the unemployment line.

If you could've had a team willing to give up a draft pick right now, he'd be traded.

Fixed it for you.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Kahun skated today at 1pm. He is still in concussion protocol, but Sully said the fact that he is on the ice is a good sign.

Bjugstad and Dumoulin did not skate. Sullivan said that they are both in off-ice portion of rehab. That's a bit concerning for both of them:

--Bjugstad went down with the "same" injury a week later than Crosby. If there was no ASG break, Crosby would have been back for 2 weeks. Bjugstad was skating at one point with Crosby. Have to figure there was some sort of setback, or Bjugstad's injury was more severe. Either way, because he was skating before the ASG break, it's a bit concerning to me Bjugstad isn't ready.

--Dumoulin has an ankle injury. Just like a broken leg, those can be tough to come back from. He wasn't skating before the ASG break, but the fact that he still isn't skating is somewhat concerning. I believe mid-February has been the target for him, but, any setbacks, and Rutherford may need to go shopping for some defense help to be safe.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:57 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Kahun skated today at 1pm. He is still in concussion protocol, but Sully said the fact that he is on the ice is a good sign.

Bjugstad and Dumoulin did not skate. Sullivan said that they are both in off-ice portion of rehab. That's a bit concerning for both of them:

--Bjugstad went down with the "same" injury a week later than Crosby. If there was no ASG break, Crosby would have been back for 2 weeks. Bjugstad was skating at one point with Crosby. Have to figure there was some sort of setback, or Bjugstad's injury was more severe. Either way, because he was skating before the ASG break, it's a bit concerning to me Bjugstad isn't ready.

--Dumoulin has an ankle injury. Just like a broken leg, those can be tough to come back from. He wasn't skating before the ASG break, but the fact that he still isn't skating is somewhat concerning. I believe mid-February has been the target for him, but, any setbacks, and Rutherford may need to go shopping for some defense help to be safe.

Wasn't Dumoulin's injury severed ankle tendons? I am no doctor but I am concerned that such an injury is going to take a long time to rehabilitate to get back to 100 percent mobility. He's probably coming back in the next month, or so but at what level of play?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:50 pm

It is February, but same old stuff for penguin injuries.
No Patric Hornqvist today. He took a hard hit. N9 concussion please.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:20 pm

penny lane wrote:It is February, but same old stuff for penguin injuries.
No Patric Hornqvist today. He took a hard hit. N9 concussion please.

According to Sullivan, Hornqvist was at the dentist getting a tooth fixed.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Daniel wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
McCann-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

If you could've had a team willing to give up a draft pick right now, he'd be traded.

Fixed it for you.

Ah yes.

Bottom line is that Simon is a better player than Galchenyuk right now. And I'm not hot on Simon.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Lafferty recalled, not on an emergency basis. No one sent down.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:31 pm

Thinking Agozzino gets bumped down again after the road trip.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Kahun skated today at 1pm. He is still in concussion protocol, but Sully said the fact that he is on the ice is a good sign.

Dumoulin's eight weeks out expired last week. He should be back at full strength and ready to play.

Bjugstad's eight weeks out expired three weeks ago. He is past due to be back in the lineup.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:47 pm

I posted this in the trade thread, as it came along with trade info from TIOPS, but, TIOPS rumor that started in December is that Bjugstad is dealing with a disc issue in his back, possibly related to disc surgery he had 4 years ago with Florida.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I posted this in the trade thread, as it came along with trade info from TIOPS, but, TIOPS rumor that started in December is that Bjugstad is dealing with a disc issue in his back, possibly related to disc surgery he had 4 years ago with Florida.

I wonder if this played a part in Florida dealing him? It certainly lowers his trade value.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:55 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I posted this in the trade thread, as it came along with trade info from TIOPS, but, TIOPS rumor that started in December is that Bjugstad is dealing with a disc issue in his back, possibly related to disc surgery he had 4 years ago with Florida.

I wonder if this played a part in Florida dealing him? It certainly lowers his trade value.

Florida has been run pretty bad recently and they were clearing cap space to bid on Panarin and Bob. Bjugstad was a no brained to move. Just glad McCann underachieved enough to be had too at that point.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Rust and Marino both missed practice today. This is Rust's 2nd "maintenance day" this week, which tells me he is banged up but still likely to play. Marino missed obviously after taking the puck to the face last night. Word is he has some swelling and is being evaluated, but all indications are it is not a major injury (ie broken jaw).

Going to the game tomorrow night, so hope to see them both in the lineup.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:44 pm

And of course Dejan just reported Marino has three fractures in his cheek and is out for a while. Awesome.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:51 pm

DelPen wrote:And of course Dejan just reported Marino has three fractures in his cheek and is out for a while. Awesome.

Add a defensemen to the trade wish list. At some point if you're Rutherford you have to ask yourself the question regardless of what you do at the deadline is this team just so snake bit that no matter who you add it won't be enough because people will keep getting hurt.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:56 pm

pens_CT wrote:
DelPen wrote:And of course Dejan just reported Marino has three fractures in his cheek and is out for a while. Awesome.

Add a defensemen to the trade wish list. At some point if you're Rutherford you have to ask yourself the question regardless of what you do at the deadline is this team just so snake bit that no matter who you add it won't be enough because people will keep getting hurt.

This is ridiculous. You almost want to stay status quo at the deadline and audition WBS players for next season and hope the next injured players get healed by August.

Make this a see what you have in WBS and stock the farm system season. Sucks to burn a year of Geno/Sid/Kris but you almost have to give hazard pay to anyone the team trades for.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

This is ridiculous. You almost want to stay status quo at the deadline and audition WBS players for next season and hope the next injured players get healed by August.

Make this a see what you have in WBS and stock the farm system season. Sucks to burn a year of Geno/Sid/Kris but you almost have to give hazard pay to anyone the team trades for.

Burn a year of Kris, I needed a laugh today. Thank you!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 100565 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:17 pm

This team has dealt with injuries all year and keeps winning. I wouldn't give up, but am now opposed to trading for good UFA rentals.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I’d say 14 years on the team and a lot of it with the A should put him in the conversation with the Sid/Geno window. He’s just outside the top 50 in terms of most points by a defensemen. He is what he is and I agree with a lot of your opinions about him, but he is elite at his position and will probably be a Hall of Famer when it’s all said and done.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I’d say 14 years on the team and a lot of it with the A should put him in the conversation with the Sid/Geno window. He’s just outside the top 50 in terms of most points by a defensemen. He is what he is and I agree with a lot of your opinions about him, but he is elite at his position and will probably be a Hall of Famer when it’s all said and done.

This team won a Cup without him. You lose Sid or Geno you dont come close to winning a Cup. To lump Letang in with Sid and Geno is something I dont agree with.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:40 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:This team won a Cup without him. You lose Sid or Geno you dont come close to winning a Cup. To lump Letang in with Sid and Geno is something I dont agree with.

Fair enough, I can see that point of view. I think 3 players at about 14 years on the same team and at a high level and high salary constitutes a core group when discussing the window. Not to mention having the C or A during most of those years.

I define core players as elite leaders who you build a team around. I think the Penguins have always built their team around those three. I know you don’t agree and that’s cool.

Might be a good topic of discussion this offseason. What is a core player, who are the core players during this window and who are the future core players.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 pm

Jonas Brodin broke his cheek in 2013: https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/jona ... efinitely/

Per game logs from that year, he returned to action on 11/1: https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... melog/2014

No idea how similar Marino's injury is to Brodin's, but maybe there's hope? Remember, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Nooooo!
Healing vibes and candles lit.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins