Penguins Infirmary Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Penguins Infirmary Thread

Postby battleship kelly on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 pm

How many more games until Malkin is out again?
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:43 am

sjnhiils wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
cojac wrote:Bjugstad is always hurt, hopefully it’s for the year so we can get someone to replace him that actually contributes

You mean hopefully it is shorter term so we can move him off the roster. For the year, little chance he will be gone. Penguins need to find someone that still has some faith in his potential and dump him ASAP.

Sounds as though he is longer term so it is going to be harder to move him. I thought Edmonton would have been a good fit because they have been rumored to be looking for a 3c all year. If it does end up being shorter term how about Bjugstad and a pick for Puljujarvi?

switch the team getting the pick
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:35 am

Hatrick wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
cojac wrote:Bjugstad is always hurt, hopefully it’s for the year so we can get someone to replace him that actually contributes

You mean hopefully it is shorter term so we can move him off the roster. For the year, little chance he will be gone. Penguins need to find someone that still has some faith in his potential and dump him ASAP.

Sounds as though he is longer term so it is going to be harder to move him. I thought Edmonton would have been a good fit because they have been rumored to be looking for a 3c all year. If it does end up being shorter term how about Bjugstad and a pick for Puljujarvi?

switch the team getting the pick

And change the player coming back.....I actually looked into Puljujarvi a bit and it seems like he didn't get a good shot with Edmonton. Bjugstad for him and maybe a low round pick and put him with Malkin or McCann and he might end up being a pretty good player.

Seems like Edmonton players that come to Pittsburgh so far just needed a change of scenery, maybe that trend will continue?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Schultz left practice early today, while everyone else was a full participant (minus Crosby, Letang). Sullivan had no update on Schultz after practice.

Hornqvist said he is ready to go for Thursday, should the coach put him in the lineup.

UPDATE: Schultz injury is believed to be a groin injury.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ericf on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:07 pm

The amount of players going down with soft tissue issues this season is crazy....
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penguins Knight on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Is Letang playing this week?
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Penguins Knight wrote:Is Letang playing this week?

I would say no. He's not even skating with the team yet.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Ericf wrote:The amount of players going down with soft tissue issues this season is crazy....

Yeah, these players and their stupid soff tissues..... :lol:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:26 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Ericf wrote:The amount of players going down with soft tissue issues this season is crazy....

Yeah, these players and their stupid soff tissues..... :lol:

Well they are a soff team :fist:
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:47 pm

The power play just went an extra level. Dumoulin at the point? New kid Marino?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:30 pm

And Riikola is out too now?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:26 pm

DelPen wrote:And Riikola is out too now?

I didn't know about Riikola but I did see Schultz is listed as day to day for an undisclosed injury.

Edit: According to the Post-Gazette Schultz is out for a longer time than day to day.

Additionally, Justin Schultz is expected to be out longer term. The defenseman left Wednesday’s practice early and did not return. Sullivan said it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly when his injury occurred, suggesting that it was a chronic ailment and not something acute.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Bjugstad out at least 8 weeks after having core muscle surgery.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 am

Is there a team in NHL with more injuries than Pens in last 10 seasons?? Wth.. Not just injuries, but core players injuries, damn
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Is the contributor to these injuries the condition of the ice and the fact that it isn't optimal? It takes more of a toll on the body versus better ice with proper refrigeration and better water?
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:Is the contributor to these injuries the condition of the ice and the fact that it isn't optimal? It takes more of a toll on the body versus better ice with proper refrigeration and better water?

Do we have any data that shows these injuries are taking place more often at home than on the road? Several of these injuries were reported as nagging, lingering injuries.....Crosby was reportedly dealing with his issue since camp. Galchenyuk injury was something that had been nagging him.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dark_forces on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:33 pm

All right, take out your crystal balls and fast forward a bit. What happens realistically with Galchenyuk as the season moves along?
Do we keep him until the end of the season, wait until everyone is healthy, and then let him walk as a UFA? Do we deal him for another forward that's more cost controlled prior to the deadline, or does he somehow start to really find his groove and we eventually resign him?
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Is the contributor to these injuries the condition of the ice and the fact that it isn't optimal? It takes more of a toll on the body versus better ice with proper refrigeration and better water?

Do we have any data that shows these injuries are taking place more often at home than on the road? Several of these injuries were reported as nagging, lingering injuries.....Crosby was reportedly dealing with his issue since camp. Galchenyuk injury was something that had been nagging him.

Whether they happen more often at home or not (which would be interesting if someone tracked since the CEC opened) the Pens play preseason home games, 41 regular season games, and all playoff home games at the same rink. Between lackluster ice (which shouldn't be) and the amount of games they've played over the years, I feel there is a correlation as to why the Pens are always towards the top of the league in man games lost.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:55 am

Pens need to do more yoga.

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:52 am

My guess would be it’s mainly due to the core playing so many hard minutes over the past 10 years, and partially bad luck.

Some can blame the ice but it’s a challenge at all the arenas that have fluctuating temps and humidity levels.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:My guess would be it’s mainly due to the core playing so many hard minutes over the past 10 years, and partially bad luck.

Some can blame the ice but it’s a challenge at all the arenas that have fluctuating temps and humidity levels.

I wonder how much of it is being out of position constantly and trying to contort their body to adjust. Or someone passing the puck in dangerous positions on the PP and the players having to turn on a dime and skate the other way.

Or maybe it's just bad luck, who knows. :scared:

Seriously though, since the Pens have been at the top for so long teams player harder and know physical play is the best way to play the Penguins. I imagine it's just the fact that teams play the Penguins harder and rougher than most teams.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:27 pm

I think it's the air in Pittsburgh. The Steelers always seem to have a lot of injuries as well.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:37 pm

dark_forces wrote:All right, take out your crystal balls and fast forward a bit. What happens realistically with Galchenyuk as the season moves along?
Do we keep him until the end of the season, wait until everyone is healthy, and then let him walk as a UFA? Do we deal him for another forward that's more cost controlled prior to the deadline, or does he somehow start to really find his groove and we eventually resign him?

I'm in the camp that would trade both Galchenyuk and Schultz.

If we could get back Kreider and Bogosian I would be happy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dark_forces on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:00 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
dark_forces wrote:All right, take out your crystal balls and fast forward a bit. What happens realistically with Galchenyuk as the season moves along?

Greider, yes. I think we could take a run at resigning him as Malkin's wing, but no on Bogosian. He's hurt a lot and he's not much better than a #5 defenseman at this point in his career, and he's overpaid for that role.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:50 pm

dark_forces wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Greider, yes. I think we could take a run at resigning him as Malkin's wing, but no on Bogosian. He's hurt a lot and he's not much better than a #5 defenseman at this point in his career, and he's overpaid for that role.

Agree on both counts here. No Bogo's here please.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins