Malkin's action = Leadership

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin's action = Leadership

Postby Penspal on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:42 am

If the reports are true and as I see it, Malkin told Pens management that he felt the "situation" with Kessel, whatever IT may be, was hurting the team and affecting him. Malkin stated with conviction that he prioritized the primary team success goal and his own top personal goal equally. The team/management responded by trading Kessel and eliminating the problem. All reports lead to a very fit and motivated Malkin coming early to camp, spouting AND showing team first mentality by leading his squad to a win past Sid's crew. Malkin has answered the bell, in a very Geno way...

Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Malkin's action = Leadership

Postby Jim on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:52 am

So, Malkin pouted like a 4 year and played poorly because of it, stomped his feet until he got his way, and now that he did he will hopefully peacock and play well again... leadership.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:26 am

Penspal wrote:If the reports are true and as I see it, Malkin told Pens management that he felt the "situation" with Kessel, whatever IT may be, was hurting the team and affecting him. Malkin stated with conviction that he prioritized the primary team success goal and his own top personal goal equally. The team/management responded by trading Kessel and eliminating the problem. All reports lead to a very fit and motivated Malkin coming early to camp, spouting AND showing team first mentality by leading his squad to a win past Sid's crew. Malkin has answered the bell, in a very Geno way...

Wait, we have a new thread that starts with "if the reports of an unknown situation involving Kessel". Rather than the confirmed reports of Malkin having mental issues because he was separated from his family?

Malkin did nothing to show leadership last season and I feel it was his worst season in every way possible. Not only did he not score like we're accustomed to but he did nothing else to help the team.

I hope he is fit and motivated, but if it's because Kessel is gone it shows childish behavior rather than leadership. Leadership would have been to either get Phil on board or adapt to Phil's behavior in a positive way to help the team.

Just to add, I think last season was an aberration and that Malkin learned from it and will have a much better season in 2019-20. While I don't think he'll score like we're used to, I think he'll become a more complete player. I really see Sid and Geno as the next Yzerman and Fedorov in that both adapted there game from all offensive to more complete and won cups because of it.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am

Pretty sure last year Geno was coming into camp in tip-top shape and motivated.... I love 71, but 95% of NHLers are coming off of a summer of training hard. It's clear Phil was a major problem, and the fact that the details are limited gives me another reason to appreciate the personalities of NHL players and staff. Any other league, and this would have been a major soap opera... :wink:
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:24 pm

This year... showing leadership this year, as in now.. after making mistakes from last year.

Just trying to point out basically what we are all agreeing on. Malkin didn't have a good year last year (apparently it involved Kessel in some way). Hopefully that's as generic as I can make it so you perhaps can get by that part to see what the core of my post was about. Its the GENO HERE AND NOW.

A refreshed, motivated and inspired Geno can go a long way to make up for the gap that Kessel's absence will leave.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Normally I would blame Jack Johnson and his horrible contract... but apparently it was Kessel that made Malkin just stop skating and stare down at the ice for a while while in the offensive zone. I wonder if it was some sort of telepathy, like when Xavier would freeze people in the X-Men movies. Kessel would think, "Geno, total brain freeze!" and Malkin would just stop giving a poo for 10 seconds. Damn that Kessel...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Penspal wrote:This year... showing leadership this year, as in now.. after making mistakes from last year.

Just trying to point out basically what we are all agreeing on. Malkin didn't have a good year last year (apparently it involved Kessel in some way). Hopefully that's as generic as I can make it so you perhaps can get by that part to see what the core of my post was about. Its the GENO HERE AND NOW.

A refreshed, motivated and inspired Geno can go a long way to make up for the gap that Kessel's absence will leave.

I read it as leadership from last year, my mistake. I think he's going to have a very good year this year.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Jim wrote:So, Malkin pouted like a 4 year and played poorly because of it, stomped his feet until he got his way, and now that he did he will hopefully peacock and play well again... leadership.

Agreed. Becoming less petulant as a 30yr old would be real leadersh... err, expected normal human behavior.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 am

Production- conduct following words spoken will equal leadership.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:21 am

Lets hope Geno returns to beast mode.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:21 pm

beast mode=ACTIVATED
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:09 am

Kessel gets moved out of Boston after scoring 36 goals in 70 games.

Kessel gets moved out of Toronto after putting up seasons of 30, 32, 37, 37 goals and points of 64, 82, 80, 61. At one point over a 4-5 year span, he trailed only Crosby, Ovechkin, and Perry in terms of goals.

Kessel comes to Pittsburgh and puts up seasons of 70, 92, and 82 points. Not to mention great playoff production.

Kessel gets moved out of Pittsburgh. Stories swirl again, like they do wherever he goes. Some media criticize him, some defend him saying he's misunderstood and loved by teammates. Fans will say that the media is making up the bad press, yet these same fans want you to believe the media when they say he's loved by teammates.

Fans on the outside will never know the truth, but the one truth we do know is that there's a common denominator here.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 am

Phil Kessel is a player that you'll love for his production and hate for all the little things. I don't doubt that Phil is a nice guy that people like. He strikes me as that odd laid back quiet goof. At the same time, I also think he'd infuriate anyone for the exact same reasons. Rumours that he's lazy have been around as long as I remember, that he doesn't fit with his personality and is at odds with coaches.

All of that might be true, or maybe none of it. Point is, you do not trade a guy like Kessel if there isn't something. Some underlying theme that they think harms the team more than his point/goal production benefits it. And this, relative to other players they might acquire in trade for Kessel.

When it comes to Malkin, I don't think he gets a pass for last season. He's admitted as much himself. I don't think he solved the Kessel situation, or stepped up, or showed leadership. The Kessel trade has a lot more to do with Sully and Jimmy.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins