Penguins 2019 Training Camp Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins 2019 Training Camp Thread

Postby Daniel on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:Honestly, I think the key to signing Schultz is Addison, Marino, and Pierre-Oliver Joseph or someone else that steps up. If the Penguins can replace Schultz with an ELC contract, why sign him? They can use the cap space.

Addison won't be ready to step into the NHL next year.
Marino may make it mid-season, but I'd have some concerns about him being a solid, reliable 2nd pairing guy in Year 1. POJ is more of a good, overall, well rounded d-man. I see him more in a Dumoulin or Pettersson type role.

I don't see any of these d-men as having a big enough impact before the Penguins need to make a decision on Schultz. The better hope is that the Penguins shed Johnson and Gudbranson, have something like Riikola-Marino as your bottom pair, and roll the dice resigning Schultz......or go get Ristolainen. :)

Addison might not be ready, but who knows really.

Letang - 62nd overall - 130 QMJHL games - 100 points 10 AHL games
Addison - 53rd overall - 198 WHL games - 163 points 3 AHL games so far (I thought he couldn't play in the AHL?)

I know the team is in a completely different place right now than when Letang came up, but it isn't impossible that Addison forces his way in 2020-21. I'd change that to unlikely rather than won't be ready. 8-)

The highlighted point is optimal but my original point remains valid. Maybe I should have said "with the cap as it is". Somebody stepping up makes Schultz expendable (doesn't have to be the ones I mentioned), someone doesn't step up they almost have to resign Schultz at the expense of someone else. Of course those aren't the only variables at all. I just think it's the key since all other options don't have an ELC involved.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:Honestly, I think the key to signing Schultz is Addison, Marino, and Pierre-Oliver Joseph or someone else that steps up. If the Penguins can replace Schultz with an ELC contract, why sign him? They can use the cap space.

Marino may make it mid-season, but I'd have some concerns about him being a solid, reliable 2nd pairing guy in Year 1. POJ is more of a good, overall, well rounded d-man. I see him more in a Dumoulin or Pettersson type role.

I don't see any of these d-men as having a big enough impact before the Penguins need to make a decision on Schultz. The better hope is that the Penguins shed Johnson and Gudbranson, have something like Riikola-Marino as your bottom pair, and roll the dice resigning Schultz......or go get Ristolainen. :)

Addison - 53rd overall - 198 WHL games - 163 points 3 AHL games so far (I thought he couldn't play in the AHL?)

I know the team is in a completely different place right now than when Letang came up, but it isn't impossible that Addison forces his way in 2020-21. I'd change that to unlikely rather than won't be ready. 8-)

The highlighted point is optimal but my original point remains valid. Maybe I should have said "with the cap as it is". Somebody stepping up makes Schultz expendable (doesn't have to be the ones I mentioned), someone doesn't step up they almost have to resign Schultz at the expense of someone else. Of course those aren't the only variables at all. I just think it's the key since all other options don't have an ELC involved.

Unlikely. :)

It's not all about points. From what I have watched, and reviews I have seen of people who are much better at evaluations than me, he still has areas that need improved upon to be an NHL level talent. His attack and aggressiveness offensively is great, but, he has to be able to defend as well.

My highly optimistic view is that Addison, will be a mid season callup next season, 20-21, sort of like Marino will likely be this year.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:38 am

Camp Teams have be reorganized. Basically, Team 1 appears to be your opening night roster, that currently includes 24 players (3 goalies). Team 2 looks to be your WBS guys, and team 3 seems to be guys going back to Junior (Addison, Legare, Poulin) and maybe guys ticketed for Wheeling. Biggest names of note on Team 3 who aren't going to Junior would be Almeida, Drozg, and Lucchini.

From everything I am hearing, there are really only 2 camp battles going on:

1) Jarry vs DeSmith - Rutherford said as much yesterday that this is still a battle for the backup job. He also says phone calls on his goalies have picked up, so he is much less optimistic that whichever of the two loses the backup job would be able to sneak through waivers. He'd likely try to work out a trade.

2) Johnson vs Riikola - From what I am reading, sure sounds like the Penguins would love to see Riikola take the next step to be the #6 or #7 guy ahead of Johnson. If Riikola were to do that, they would try again to trade Johnson, likely having to offer to retain some salary.

I'm hoping that Riikola can beat out Johnson, and the Penguins can find a taker. If you retain 750K, even for 4 years, Johnson at 2.25M could be a bargain for someone. And consider that, retaining 750K is still much better than having to buyout Johnson next summer. Trade retaining 750K means Penguins pay Johnson 3M over 4 years, and that 750K goes against the cap. A buyout next summer means the Penguins pay Johnson 3.25M this year against the cap, the next 2 years would be roughly 1.1M against the cap each year, then 1 year at 1.9M, then 3 years at roughly 900K. Retaining isn't optimal, but it would save the Penguins a lot more in the long run versus a buyout.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:55 am

Speaking of training camp, Damien Cox had an interesting thought- Damien Cox
@DamoSpin15h I would say 95% of all opening night jobs are spoken for. And any player who begins season in minors can be recalled the next day. The point is weeks of camp are simply not needed and decide little. If they started season now, could be done in May.

I would say camps are good for young players, but in the cap era, players are determined for a team after the July 95%.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:43 am

Lines in camp remain what has been expected:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Simon/ZAR-Blueger-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray
DeSmith/Jarry
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 am

3rd and 4th line scoring depth always seems to be a big question

I am hoping this line can be a threat to get us some goals.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:39 am

FLPensFan wrote:Lines in camp remain what has been expected:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
Simon/ZAR-Blueger-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray
DeSmith/Jarry

I doubt Tanev stays on line 2. I think you switch Rust and Tanev and you have the most likely lineup.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:02 am

no name wrote:3rd and 4th line scoring depth always seems to be a big question

I am hoping this line can be a threat to get us some goals.

Taking Simon off that line is going to hurt possession.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:21 am

Filip Hallender broke his leg
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am

Apparently in Sweden, they must take Sudden Death overtime really seriously over there (courtesy of Google Translate):

"It was in connection with a goal chance that Filip Hållander was interrupted so much by an opponent that he dropped the balance and fell into the coffin so unlucky that he suffered a leg fracture."
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

By this reasoning, any forward we draft has a good chance of being a Hörnqvist.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Apparently in Sweden, they must take Sudden Death overtime really seriously over there (courtesy of Google Translate):

"It was in connection with a goal chance that Filip Hållander was interrupted so much by an opponent that he dropped the balance and fell into the coffin so unlucky that he suffered a leg fracture."

I might be going out on a limb here, but almost any actions that involve the use of a coffin are probably unlucky.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

By this reasoning, any forward we draft has a good chance of being a Hörnqvist.

So information on a player who is similar to Letang in terms of projection (size, about the same draft spot, RH offensive defensemen) who might have a chance because Letang did is the same as any random forward could be Hornqvist? My discussion was merely statistical.

That's quite the strawman to go from that to "any forward can be Hornqvist" considering I took two players with similar pedigree to make a discussion point that it might not be as impossible as was previously stated. Heck, I even said unlikely rather than impossible. Impossible = not going to happen no matter what the player does. Unlikely = not going to happen unless the player does a lot of positive things to earn the spot.

Never said he would be the next Letang, as good as Letang, or even NHL ready at the same point of Letang, merely that it's possible he's ready after 10 games like Letang.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Apparently in Sweden, they must take Sudden Death overtime really seriously over there (courtesy of Google Translate):

I might be going out on a limb here, but almost any actions that involve the use of a coffin are probably unlucky.

It's funny how often coffin and casket are mislabeled. I notice in the USA they call everything a coffin it seems, while it's most often a casket. I'm not sure what they use over in Europe, they might actually be coffins. There is a difference between the two. Vampires are usually in coffins, while people are most often buried in caskets.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pekkasteele on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:18 am

murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

It's funny how often coffin and casket are mislabeled. I notice in the USA they call everything a coffin it seems, while it's most often a casket. I'm not sure what they use over in Europe, they might actually be coffins. There is a difference between the two. Vampires are usually in coffins, while people are most often buried in caskets.

Now I'm curious, where is the original line from FLPF? So I can check what the word is that is translated to coffin?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:45 am

pekkasteele wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Now I'm curious, where is the original line from FLPF? So I can check what the word is that is translated to coffin?

Here is original paragraph, from https://www.luleahockey.se/artikel/r40rak0pf-30c4d/statusuppdatering-kring-hallander

Det var i samband med en målchans som Filip Hållander stördes så pass av en motståndare att han tappade balansen och föll in i sargen så pass olyckligt att han drabbats av ett benbrott.

I played around with google translate, and it seems like sargen is the word, however, if you do just that word on its own, it translates it to rim. If you do "i sargen," it translates to in the coffin. If you do just sargen, it translates it to rim.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pekkasteele on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:17 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Here is original paragraph, from https://www.luleahockey.se/artikel/r40rak0pf-30c4d/statusuppdatering-kring-hallander

Ah, I see, "sargen" is the boards around the rink or the wall. I dont know the exact word. And the line is basiccly "He went in to the wall".

Det var i samband med en målchans som Filip Hållander stördes så pass av en motståndare att han tappade balansen och föll in i sargen så pass olyckligt att han drabbats av ett benbrott.

I played around with google translate, and it seems like sargen is the word, however, if you do just that word on its own, it translates it to rim. If you do "i sargen," it translates to in the coffin. If you do just sargen, it translates it to rim.

Ok, "sargen" is the wall around the ice, so the line is something like, "He lost his balance and fell into the wall"
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:45 am

Coffin is better.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am

Johnson is day to day with an injury.....no, not that one. Adam Johnson.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:30 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Johnson is day to day with an injury.....no, not that one. Adam Johnson.

Crap ! You got my hopes up then dashed in the same post. :(
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:44 am

stonewizard51 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Johnson is day to day with an injury.....no, not that one. Adam Johnson.

Crap ! You got my hopes up then dashed in the same post. :(

It is ok, since it was only day-to-day, better that we sign ut JJ for the year-to-year spot instead!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:47 am

Some line changes at camp this morning:

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Kahun
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby johnnews on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 am

FLPensFan wrote:Some line changes at camp this morning:

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Kahun

Interesting
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am

Sully likes duos.

Sid/Jake
Geno/Gally

The 3rd line seems to be set. The rest of the forwards are interchangeable, which is a good thing.

I think the Pens are going to surprise some “experts” this season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:31 am

KG wrote:Sully likes duos.

Sid/Jake
Geno/Gally

The 3rd line seems to be set. The rest of the forwards are interchangeable, which is a good thing.

I think the Pens are going to surprise some “experts” this season.

My understanding is that is how Sullivan views things - in pairs of forwards with an interchangeable third person.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins