Guerin hired as Wild GM

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Guerin hired as Wild GM

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm

First reported by Michael Russo of the Athletic, and confirmed by Dave Molinari of DK Sports.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Guerin hired as Wild GM

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm

I imagine Billy Guerin interviews very well.
All the best.

Reading Russo article, could be announced tomorrow.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Do we get a draft pick for this?
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Does anyone care to speculate on a succession plan for Rutherford? I think Karmanos leaves when Rutherford does.
I'm thinking they bring in someone who could serve as an assistant in the interim and easily transition to GM when Rutherford's contract ends.
Dare I say, maybe Hextall? He did a hell of a job drafting and developing some decent young talent. Although, he may not have the trade acumen that organization expects.
I've long held onto the fantasy that Pat Brisson would join.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:43 pm

dark_forces wrote:Does anyone care to speculate on a succession plan for Rutherford? I think Karmanos leaves when Rutherford does.
I'm thinking they bring in someone who could serve as an assistant in the interim and easily transition to GM when Rutherford's contract ends.
Dare I say, maybe Hextall? He did a hell of a job drafting and developing some decent young talent. Although, he may not have the trade acumen that organization expects.
I've long held onto the fantasy that Pat Brisson would join.

So far, Rutherford has said publicly he doesn't think he will bring on another assistant GM. Someone will have to take on the WBS GM role, and people discussed Vellucci doing it (he was a GM in the OHL for 14 years, and asst GM for Carolina), or someone like Scott Young from Player Development.

I had always heard rumors that the Penguins never really considered Guerin as part of Rutherford succession. Seems like Karmanos would be better suited, or they like him more.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:06 pm

I would take Tom Fitzgerald back.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sams_Dog on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Best of luck to Guerin. He contributed to three Cups. I know that these things happen with front offices but I can't help but be worried that so many people have left the organization while Rutherford, a guy who was supposed to be a short term hire, stays on and continues the "win now" strategy while approaching retirement. Botterill seemed like a rising star and Fitzgerald always had good things written about him. When it comes time to replace Rutherford they are probably going to have to bring in someone brand new who is unfamiliar with the team and that could be really problematic.

If their talk about promoting from within holds true then I could see Cullen becoming an assistant coach and Recchi or Jacques Martin becoming an assistant GM. Recchi would have no previous NHL experience but he does co-own a hockey club in the WHL. Martin was GM of the Florida Panthers from 2006-2009. I would think that the team would want someone who has experience in a rebuild taking over when GMJR leaves because I don't see any way around that,Someone who can execute a 4-5 year plan. I'd like it to be someone who has a good track record and solid experience. Hopefully that person will be available when the time comes.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Congrats to Guerin. I'm not really worried about the Pens not having an in-house successor to Rutherford. They went outside the organization to get Shero, and then again to get Rutherford. As long as the ownership group remains solid, there won't be a shortage of good external candidates interested in the position when Rutherford goes. Even if it's a total rebuild after Crosby and Malkin retire, I'm sure that will appeal to some people out there--trying to build a contender from almost scratch.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Probably mirroring my dismay at Sullivan getting extended... ownership extended Rutherford so they seem happy keeping him around.

Botterill's done such a great job in Buffalo that in his two years there he hasn't even been able to match the lesser of the prior two years which got his predecessor fired.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Congrats and all the best Billy G. You leave lots of good memories.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:36 pm

I honestly don't know what Bill Guerin's responsibilities were, so I don't know how big of a loss he is for the Pens. I do think perception of his departure is colored to some degree by him being well-liked as a player and by people not having a ton of confidence in the current GM.

Good luck to him though. GMJR should offer him Jack Johnson for future considerations as congratulations.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hatrick on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 pm

netwolf wrote:I honestly don't know what Bill Guerin's responsibilities were, so I don't know how big of a loss he is for the Pens. I do think perception of his departure is colored to some degree by him being well-liked as a player and by people not having a ton of confidence in the current GM.

Good luck to him though. GMJR should offer him Jack Johnson for future considerations as congratulations.

agreed, on all accounts.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 pm

I don't know. Maybe I'm clueless. Everybody is up in arms about people leaving the organization and are concerned about JR's replacement. Which there is no signs he's prepared to step aside. Think about it. For such a bungling, senile old guy, he certainly has had influence on a lot of organizations. Botterill is Buffalo's GM. Guerin is in Minnesota. Ronnie Francis, who was Rutherford's assistant for years in Carolina, is in Seattle. As far as coaches, he is revered by Laviolette and Paul Maurice, who hetook chances on as coaching hires in Carolina. Those are off the top of my head. My point is that maybe the bungling old man has it more together than he's given credit for on these boards.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:29 am

longtimefan wrote:I don't know. Maybe I'm clueless. Everybody is up in arms about people leaving the organization and are concerned about JR's replacement. Which there is no signs he's prepared to step aside. Think about it. For such a bungling, senile old guy, he certainly has had influence on a lot of organizations. Botterill is Buffalo's GM. Guerin is in Minnesota. Ronnie Francis, who was Rutherford's assistant for years in Carolina, is in Seattle. As far as coaches, he is revered by Laviolette and Paul Maurice, who hetook chances on as coaching hires in Carolina. Those are off the top of my head. My point is that maybe the bungling old man has it more together than he's given credit for on these boards.

Molinari did a follow-up piece on Guerin/Rutherford today. Whenever Dave brought up any mention of GMJR retiring or succession planning, Rutherford cut him off pretty abrubtly, once telling him "You are getting ahead of yourself," and another time flat out telling him "No" when Dave asked if he was even thinking about retiring.

Rutherford is apparently here to stay, for quite some time, unless ownership feels differently.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:I don't know. Maybe I'm clueless. Everybody is up in arms about people leaving the organization and are concerned about JR's replacement. Which there is no signs he's prepared to step aside. Think about it. For such a bungling, senile old guy, he certainly has had influence on a lot of organizations. Botterill is Buffalo's GM. Guerin is in Minnesota. Ronnie Francis, who was Rutherford's assistant for years in Carolina, is in Seattle. As far as coaches, he is revered by Laviolette and Paul Maurice, who hetook chances on as coaching hires in Carolina. Those are off the top of my head. My point is that maybe the bungling old man has it more together than he's given credit for on these boards.

Molinari did a follow-up piece on Guerin/Rutherford today. Whenever Dave brought up any mention of GMJR retiring or succession planning, Rutherford cut him off pretty abrubtly, once telling him "You are getting ahead of yourself," and another time flat out telling him "No" when Dave asked if he was even thinking about retiring.

Rutherford is apparently here to stay, for quite some time, unless ownership feels differently.

Yeah I would say JR stays on for another 2-3 seasons and rides out the Sid/Malkin era for as long as possible. I'm not overly concerned about a GM succession plan. Things change, openings come up all the time. If they like an Assistant GM on another team they could just reach out to the team to get permission, like Minnesota did for Guerin.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 am

When we exit win-now and enter rebuild, the front office will need rebuilt as well. 8-)
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Jim wrote:Probably mirroring my dismay at Sullivan getting extended... ownership extended Rutherford so they seem happy keeping him around.

Botterill's done such a great job in Buffalo that in his two years there he hasn't even been able to match the lesser of the prior two years which got his predecessor fired.

Botterill's the next to be fired in Buffalo if Krueger doesn't live up to expectations.

Good luck to Billy G. I think his departure will impact more on WBS and player development than Pens front office decision making.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:47 am

Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:Probably mirroring my dismay at Sullivan getting extended... ownership extended Rutherford so they seem happy keeping him around.

Botterill's the next to be fired in Buffalo if Krueger doesn't live up to expectations.

Good luck to Billy G. I think his departure will impact more on WBS and player development than Pens front office decision making.

The guy they have coaching in WBS right now was coach and GM at the Calder Cup winning team last year. I think they're in pretty good hands.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:28 am

I read an article the other day, I believe it was on DK's site, where they were mentioning some of Guerin's influence on this Penguins team. The two things that stuck out to me were:

--It seems Guerin was a main driver of wanting to move Phil Kessel, as far back as last summer.
--It also mentioned that Guerin was a reason why the Penguins got younger. Was mentioned that Penguins were scouting Bjugstad, and Guerin is the one that came to Rutherford and said they needed to get McCann too.

If I find the article again, I'll link it here.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins